• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Mech she uses looks an awful lot like a Kobu from Sakura Wars

Sakura could fill that Mech Niche
Yeah, I was expecting Sakura to come up in response. Though, I think it's worth nothing that Reginn's mech is actually centaur-like, even if the pic doesn't show it clearly. The trailer displays it better.
1607487778614.png

Unless the Kobu is also obscured, it looks like Sakura's mech is bipedal. I'd imagine there would be a couple differences as a result.
On a side note, this also means Reginn can represent cavalry units on Fire Emblem's side.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Yeah, I was expecting Sakura to come up in response. Though, I think it's worth nothing that Reginn's mech is actually centaur-like, even if the pic doesn't show it clearly. The trailer displays it better.
Shhhhhhh.... get yer logic and deductive reasoning out of here. /s

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Yeah, for some reason, people think Nintendo HAS to address the "controversies" soon, as in their "time's almost up" or something. I honestly don't get why.
Probably because the number of people talking about it is only rising. NoA's bio doesn't help either.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice

Rean Schwarzer from Trails of Cold Steel would get many people mad because he's a literally who blue-haired anime swordsman. I think he'd be cool though, even if I would prefer Adol as the Falcom rep.
Although I would prefer Estelle, Rean is a very close second for me. What I think makes him interesting is his moveset potential. A sheathe mechanic, in particular, could set him apart from other swordsman if it was implemented correctly. I actually had an idea concerning his moveset that I guess I'll share now, for those who are interested:

Description: In Trails, your characters have two different types of attacks they can use, Arts and Crafts. Arts are magic-based attacks that use up "EP". Crafts are unique attacks that the characters have that use up "CP". Rean's base EP would start at 100, and has a max of 100. His base CP would start at 50, with a max of 200.

~How to recover CP~
1) Dealing damage recovers 5 to 10 CP per hit. (10 CP with successful Smash attacks, 5 CP for everything else).
2) Taking damage recovers 3 to 5 CP per hit. (5 CP when hit with a successful Smash attack, 3 for everything else).
3) 1 CP recovered per second.
4) Losing a stock resets CP to 50.

~How to recover EP~
1) Taking and dealing damage restores 1 EP per hit.
2) Holding open the Art Wheel restores 3 EP per second.
3) Losing a stock resets EP to 100.

Description: Three quick slashes followed by a tornado made up of flames. Becomes "True Helix" while in Spirit Unification.
Effect 1) While in the air, he ascends with each slash. Holding it generates a tornado made up of flames that gives him an extra boost at the end. Only uses CP if the tornado is generated. If in Spirit Unification, True Helix generates the flame tornado automatically at no CP cost, but you can charge it to increase the damage it deals for the full 20 CP. Can't charge if you don't have sufficient CP.
Effect 2) While on the ground, he performs three quick slashes. Holding it generates a tornado made up of flames for extra damage. Only uses CP if the tornado is generated. Same as above, the flame tornado is automatically generated at no CP cost while in Spirit Unification, but you can charge it for extra damage at the cost of 20 CP. Can't charge if you don't have sufficient CP.

Description: Swiftly dashes through and attacks enemies in front of him. Becomes "True Autumn Leaf Cutter" while in Spirit Unification.
Effect) "Teleports" in a straight line, creating a streak of light that hits anything in his path. Tapping it only hits enemies once and costs no CP. Holding it hits them up to 3 times, and uses 40 CP. If in Spirit Unification, True Autumn Cutter Leaf hits the full 3 times at no CP cost, but can be charged for slightly more damage per hit for the full 40 CP. Can't charge if you don't have sufficient CP.

Description: Pulls up a wheel containing an Art for each of the seven elements. Each Art takes time to cast while in Rean's base form. While in Spirit Unification, the Arts you gain access to temporarily change, their EP cost increase, and their cast time is reduced to zero. When casting Arts, the energy around Rean glows a different color depending on the element used.

NOTE: "*" = Spirit Unification enhanced Art.
NOTE 2: Buffs don't stack with Spirit Unification, and debuffs don't stack period.

Earth) Needle Shot - A bullet-like Art that shoots through everything in it's path, deals decent damage but low knockback. 20 EP - 1 Second
Earth*) Earth Lance - A lance made of earth shoots out of the ground in front of Rean that stuns enemies on hit. 60 EP

Water) Tear - Heals 10% of HP first time, 5% second time, and 1% third time and on. Resets after losing a stock. 20 EP - 1 Second
Water*) Frost Edge - A whirlwind of ice is generated in front of Rean, freezing enemies that it hits within range. 60 EP

Fire) Heat Up - Recovers 20 CP. 20 EP - 1 Second
Fire*) Impassion - Recovers 10 CP per second for 10 seconds. 60 EP

Wind) Air Strike - Creates a ball of wind that deals low damage but decent knockback on enemies that are hit by it. 20 EP - 1 Second
Wind*) Breath - Creates a "Healing Field" effect for Rean(and team members) that lasts for 5 seconds. Heals 5% per second while in field. 60 EP

Time) Chrono Drive - Grants Rean a temporary speed buff that lasts 10 seconds. 25 EP - 3 Seconds
Time*) Chrono Break - Speed debuff for enemies within range of the attack, no damage dealt. 75 EP

Space) Golden Sphere - A sphere pops up out of the ground in front of Rean. Deals decent damage, and debuffs enemy strength on hit. 50 EP - 3 Seconds
Space*) Dark Matter - Creates a vortex that sucks enemies in. Like the Black Hole item, except it brings them to Rean. Can be smashed out of it. 50 EP

Mirage) Analyze - A homing attack that deals no damage. Instead, it debuffs defense on hit. 30 EP - 3 Seconds
Mirage*) Saintly Force - Buffs Rean's strength and defense. Applied after Rean has exited Spirit Unification, and lasts 10 seconds. 90 EP

Description: Rean sheathes his tachi(the type of sword he uses).
Effect 1) While sheathed, Rean's Neutral, Side and Down Specials change to the following:
A) Neutral becomes "Arc Slash"(20 CP). Double tapping his Neutral Special while unsheathed causes him to quickly sheathe and unsheathe his tachi for a quick Arc Slash, which is a long range attack that sends out a "sword beam". Tapping Neutral while sheathed will use Arc Slash as well. Becomes "True Arc Slash" when Spirit Unification is active. If you don't have enough CP to use Arc Slash, he only performs a normal jab/aerial.
B) Side becomes "Destructive Impact"(No CP). Rean's only unarmed physical attack. Has a slow wind up of 3 seconds that stuns enemies on hit. Windup time reduced by half while in Spirit Unification.
C) Down becomes "Spirit Unification". Rean enters an enhanced state where his strength, defense and speed are increased for 10 seconds. His Arts and Crafts are also enhanced as well, however Crafts do not use more CP. Uses 100 CP to enter Spirit Unification first time, 150 CP the second time, and 200 CP from the third time on. Resets to 100 CP after losing a stock. If he is still in a sheathed state while Spirit Unification is active, then his Down Special becomes Art Wheel until he exits Spirit Unification.
NOTE: Using Up Special, Smashes, Aerials, Jabs, Tilts, Grabs, Final Smash or picking up items, unsheathes his tachi. Shielding does NOT unsheathe his tachi.

Effect 2) Holding Neutral Special puts Rean into a "stance" in which he grabs his sheathed tachi, preparing to strike. The "stance" can be used in the air. While in the "stance", he gains five different options(NOTE: Except for option A, all of these options cost CP to use):
A) Cancel "stance" via shielding/air dodging.
B) Release B for a "True Arc Slash"(30 CP). Becomes "Fatal Arc Slash" while in Spirit Unification. True Arc Slash increases the damage and range. Fatal Arc Slash is the same as True Arc Slash, but it has a "flame" effect that deals damage over time on hit.
C) Hold up and then release B for "True Helix"(40 CP). Becomes "Fatal Helix" while in Spirit Unification. True Helix generates the flame tornado after the third slash and deals more damage than a normal Helix. Fatal Helix generates an even bigger flame tornado that lasts longer and has the added effect of sucking nearby enemies toward it.
D) Hold Left/Right and release B for "True Autumn Leaf Cutter"(50 CP). Becomes "Fatal Autumn Leaf Cutter" while in Spirit Unification. True Autumn Leaf Cutter hits enemies 3 times. Fatal Autumn Leaf Cutter hits enemies caught in it 5 times.
E) Hold Down and release B for "Flame Impact"(60 CP). Becomes "Fatal Flame Impact" while in Spirit Unification. Flame Impact is a downward slash that deals some shield damage on hit, while dealing flame damage over time. Fatal Flame Impact also deals flame damage over time on hit, as well as significant shield damage.
NOTE: Attempting to use a "stance" Craft without sufficient CP causes Rean to "stagger".

When Kirby is borrowing Rean's power, he can only use Rean's Arc Slash and True Arc Slash, depending on if he charges it or not. Kirby doesn't have a CP bar.

A little bit convoluted, but I tried to summarize it all as best I could while taking advantage of what I felt could translate well into Smash, lol.

MooMew64

Yeah, for some reason, people think Nintendo HAS to address the "controversies" soon, as in their "time's almost up" or something. I honestly don't get why.
Honestly, all that's gonna happen is you'll see this go on for a couple more weeks, Nintendo will continue to ignore it, and eventually people will get bored and move on to a new funny hashtag.

Such is the whims of Twitter.com.

MooMew64

Thing is... this is minor enough to not really prompt a response but major enough to breed contempt in certain circles.

Yeah people are gonna forget but there's gonna be some anger for a while.
Worst case scenario is it'll wind up like how the Pokemon fandom is right now: It'll unfortunately make any discussion that isn't about how upset you are at what Nintendo's done really hard, and create echo chambers that'll bicker with each-other and segregate fandoms into "us VS. them" debates that will never end because there'll always be people who refuse to let it go.

As a Splatoon fan, it saddens me a ton that there's the potential we might go down this road, but unless cooler heads start getting a voice, things are gonna keep spiraling and potentially make these communities just awful to be in. I really hope that we don't wind up like how Pokemon is right now.

Calane

Smash Ace
You’re conflating the popularity of the franchise with the popularity of the individual characters which is not the same thing, as if I ever implied that Dragon Quest the series is niche or obscure. Mega Man isn’t a huge deal as a character because any game in his franchise has particularly sold well, but because of his recognisably distinct presence throughout the whole series as a consistent face. He made an impact because he specifically is a design and character brand that people recognises. He has that character impact that all the heroes in Dragon Quest lacks. Dragon Quest is bigger than Mega Man as a franchise, but none of the protagonists are as popular as Mega Man the character. And saying that Erdrick is as big as Cloud, a character that made a huge cultural impact to the point of codifying the stereoype of the spiky-haired JRPG protagonist with a big sword, is definitely not correct.

Again,the popularity of the franchise =/= popularity of the individual characters.
You seem to be assuming that the DQ heroes aren't popular characters on their own, but that's not true. Non-popular characters don't get multiple figurines made of them, tons of fan art, or win popularity polls. Yes, Erdrick actually won a poll for favorite DQ character all the way back in 2010, and he wasn't even the only hero to make that list. Also, when the heroes make appearances in spin-offs and such, they're usually treated as special and are given quite a bit of fanfare in trailers, which isn't how unpopular or unrecognizable characters are treated. I can give examples if you want me to.

You might not think so if you're only looking at how well-known they are in the west, but the DQ Heores (particularly Erdrick, but most of the others as well) are actually iconic/popular characters with tons of fans who love them. Heck, Erdrick is even referenced in various anime and manga:

66zSNbs.jpg
j1h9pgcaz0u21.jpg
mha-02-1.png (A few examples).

They just don't hold that same status in the west, obviously.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You seem to be assuming that the DQ heroes aren't popular characters on their own, but that's not true. Non-popular characters don't get multiple figurines made of them, tons of fan art, or win popularity polls. Yes, Erdrick actually won a poll for favorite DQ character all the way back in 2010, and he wasn't even the only hero to make that list. Also, when the heroes make appearances in spin-offs and such, they're usually treated as special and are given quite a bit of fanfare in trailers, which isn't how unpopular or unrecognizable characters are treated. I can give examples if you want me to.

You might not think so if you're only looking at how well-known they are in the west, but the DQ Heores (particularly Erdrick, but most of the others as well) are actually iconic/popular characters with tons of fans who love them. Heck, Erdrick is even referenced in various anime and manga:

View attachment 294636
View attachment 294637
View attachment 294638 (A few examples).

They just don't hold that same status in the west, obviously.
This is is a fair post. Thank you for informing me.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Nintendo is basically playing the role of Young Link at this point and the salty Nintendo fans is Skull Kid and (possibly) boycott is the equivalent of the Moon crashing down into Termina(Social Media). It's basically Majora's Mask all over again:ultsquirtle:

Am I missing something with this tournament event? Because the official English name is Fungi Fever

I don't know why but that name reminds me of Puyo Puyo Fever and that goes all the way to Arle. Is it Farfetched? Yes

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Pokémon is anything to go by, nothing will come of this. You'll see so many people complain about it online that you'll think, "Wow, there's no possible way Nintendo isn't effected by this!!" There will be talks of a boycott, and you'll be convinced that Nintendo will go out of their way to make it up to fans.

But then the next game comes out, and everyone buys it anyway. The complaining continues, but absolutely nothing changes because why would it? The complaining didn't amount to much in terms of a loss of profits.

I don't really care whether or not Nintendo responds, but I also don't think people are actually committed enough to do much more than complain online. Basically, this'll just means my friends and I can't talk about Nintendo anywhere publicly online because it's a "controversial topic". The fans will be punished more than Nintendo themselves.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If Pokémon is anything to go by, nothing will come of this. You'll see so many people complain about it online that you'll think, "Wow, there's no possible way Nintendo isn't effected by this!!" There will be talks of a boycott, and you'll be convinced that Nintendo will go out of their way to make it up to fans.

But then the next game comes out, and everyone buys it anyway. The complaining continues, but absolutely nothing changes because why would it? The complaining didn't amount to much in terms of a loss of profits.
Gotta 'love' when "Speak with your wallet" effectively means nothing, because even if you don't buy something, ten people will. It's like you're David fighting Goliath, but you forgot your slingshot at home.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Any character that's a massive ? outside of Nintendo's stronghold regions, partly because the response would generally be massive confusion and / or "why the hell did this get in instead of [insert character here]?". The primary example would be Garena Free Fire (mobile Fortnite), who Zhuge noted is "one of the biggest games that half the world has never heard of."
I'd put Dungeon Fighter Online up there too. It's not prevalent at all over here (compared to Asia, at least), but a quick search told me it's made more money than even Street Fighter and Final Fantasy.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

At first I agreed; nothing would come of it, Nintendo would shrug it off. But seeing them act like big slimy babies over the Splatoon 2 fiasco kind of had me feeling otherwise. It was clearly a response and not only that, a really pathetic and cowardly one. "Executional challenges"? Really? Showed to me something I didn't think was going on; that this is getting to them.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
]
Thing is... this is minor enough to not really prompt a response but major enough to breed contempt in certain circles.

Yeah people are gonna forget but there's gonna be some anger for a while.
Ill just say this #freemelee, #freesplatoon, ect **** is emaberessing. People out here treating a video game like its ****ing BLM

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I think some of the various controversies with Nintendo are a bit more nuanced than a lot of the discourse would suggest, I'm also not unhappy about people becoming comfortable about voicing their issues with them publicly and increasingly looking at them with a more cynical eye. Genuinely lousy situations like the Joy Con drift alone is worthy of criticism, and while viewing them as outright fiendish is silly, I won't object to not letting people forget their dubious decisions either.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Remember: you can't treat company like your bros, this is easily something that people might overlooked, I mean with just one Fatal act everyone will label them as "greedy money sniffing *******". It seems that company will and always bow down to their consumer and with just one mistake it's like they have bended everything to the wrong direction simply because they carry your memories playing their game. I mean no wonder big company feels really souless cause every act they do always gets judged by their fans.

Couple that with impersonator and big influencer adding the fuel to the problem by framing and mocking.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Ok decided to check out Nintendo's tweet for the game and hoo boy are people bashing on it
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1336355187510943747?s=20
Honestly hope Arle's next even more just for the poetic irony. Like on one hand yes, **** Nintendo, but on the other, bruh really? here?
After all the ranting and raving about Karens this year, you'd figure that more people would pick up on how ignorant it looks to harass a low-level employee with your grievances about decisions made in upper-management and get angry when that inevitably fails to change anything.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I find the current Nintendo fiasco comes down to SOME informed opinions (on either side) and then quite a bit of misinformation.

Having the experience of Twitter discussions, some folks know what the problems are, but others definitely don’t. It’s not so simple.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While I haven't watched it myself, GameXplain uploaded their predictions for The Game Awards, and they talk about the possibility of Fighter 8.

Based on the video description, they also talk about BOTW2 and Metroid Prime.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really, really doubt Nintendo is going to backtrack on any of their recent claptrap. However... I don't think that makes this whole thing a waste of time. Flaming Nintendo is a means to a probably unreachable end, yes. But, it's also a pretty nice end in and of itself. When people are angry and upset at an entity like Nintendo, they should make it hurt! Ruining the Splatoon 2 event, for example. Kick up a stink, primarily in hopes of something that will probably not happen, and for its own sake secondary to that.

Of course, direct personal attacks on individuals (Nintendo is not a person), threats and the like are not acceptable for any reason and are not what I'm expressing support for. Not that I'd have to clarify my position on that. Right?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In case you don’t know, I’m gonna go over some specifics of my understanding of the situation.

Basically, the Big House was going to use an emulated version of Melee to use Slippi. Nintendo had a problem with the way this was done. Some folks out there think that emulation is the problem, and that Nintendo doesn’t have grounds to do anything. In terms of emulation, this appears to be mostly true.

However, how is the emulator obtained? Folks need to have the ROM of the game, in other words a copy of it in order to use the emulator. You can either have a legal ROM or an illegal ROM. To that point, I submit this image:
63AD45EF-BC8A-4A6A-BB82-8F2702A759C4.jpeg
I was sent this by a friend. In case you’re wondering what specific manual that comes from, it’s actually Super Smash Bros. Melee. It specifically states you cannot make a copy of the software.

The way I think of it is this. Remember those Bill Nye videos you might have watched in school? Those usually have a copyright warning in which it states that you CANNOT make a copy and distribute it for money. Similarly, if I made copies of a book made by another author, and sold it to people, that is illegal.

I get why folks are upset, because other companies allow for fan interaction in these ways. That said, consider the fact that Nintendo is heading in the direction of Disney with their franchises, likes movies and theme parks. These are high tier IP that are extremely successful (side note, one person suggested Nintendo doesn’t know how to use their IP. LOL.)

I like fan creations and also think Nintendo should leverage fan relationships. However, what is being asked is to let folks do things that BY LAW aren’t allowed. Random people who do not have credentials of any sort, to handle some of the most profitable IP on the planet.

It may make Nintendo look bad, but can you blame them entirely? When you put things into perspective, yes, it sucks, but I find it to be entirely expected.

MooMew64

It would be hella funny if Animal Crossing got a TGA Ad and it was to show we can become animals now
Yo forget Fighter #8: THIS is the kinda announcement I really want.

...And furniture. Gosh, do I really wish they'd start updating the game with more furniture, lol. Pocket Camp keeps getting all the good food lately...

Anyways, as for Smash, uh...Arle would be really cool. Yeah. Put Arle in, Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom