• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Oh god...
nervously looks Geno thread
This is not gonna end well over there if its real...
Edit:Never mind

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

SKX31

Smash Master

Source of video
It's an impressively-made fake, I'll give it that. Other than Sans showing up, what tipped me off are the random modern-day Mario sounds that I'm pretty sure 8-bit Mario would never use.

Oh good. I was about to ask what exactly his stage would be since we already have two stages that can have SMB1's aesthetics and one that is literally World 1-1.
Hey, if there's one thing Nintendo loves to re-use, it's that. And kinda for good reason.

Also, it's a massive crime that half of the Original 12 aren't there when Link presents the letter.

D

Deleted member

It seems a couple of people on this thread are of the mindset that TLOU2 is gonna win a whole lot of awards including GOTY as if it's inevitable, but just because it appears to be the most prominent game of TGAs doesn't mean it's a guarantee it'll win the top award. Back in 2018, Red Dead Redemption 2 won a bunch of awards but God of War ended up winning GOTY, and TLOU 1 didn't even win GOTY back in 2013 during that ****fest of an awards show called VGX. For all we know, the award could end up going to FF7 Remake.

Other than that, I guess the only possible Nintendo related thing that'll come from TGAs this year will probably be related to Fortnite judging by Inman Khan's tweet a few days back.
in b4 Fortnite gets a Samus skin

BZocky

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I brought this up a month or so back, but it is really telling that the only 2 characters that have been DLC and AREN'T the main protagonist have had other circumstances surrounding them. First we have Mewtwo, who was not only the first DLC character but also a returning character. Then we have Plant, who definitely has enough things pointing to it being a base game character that couldn't be finished/got held off (the guidance and the fact that it was being playtested around September 2018 both indicate this). And yeah, they pretty much explained that they consider Min Min a main protagonist as well. We know characters like K. Rool, Ridley, and the like did ridiculously well on the ballot; but they waited until the next game to add them in (they opted to add in Cloud, Bayo, and Corrin instead who are all the main protag for their respective games).

This obviously doesn't deconfirm secondary or spin-off characters, but it does definitely showcase some of Nintendo/Sakurai's trends for favoring certain characters. It's fun to note that Sakurai's backup pick for a DQ character was Slime, and not someone like Erik from DQ 11 or Bianca from DQ 5 (who is really popular). The slime is the mascot of the series obviously, but a fun coincidence is that it has it's own series of games with it/them as the main character (though the last release was like in 2011).

I think characters like Waluigi, Geno, Dee, Toad, Dixie could still happen but it's just another hurdle that they have to overcome.
Both of those things are post when they declared DLC will be a thing. They do not make it clear in any way Plant would've been base. All of that stuff makes a lot of sense for a DLC character. It was worked on during base time as is, and even the actual amiibo numbering specify Plant after all base characters. The evidence was always flimsy. Tell me when the Palutena's Guidances were even done. You can't. That's why it's not actual evidence of anything. Plant was worked on, for DLC, in the right time and place. This was always a massive flaw in trying to use these arguments. And now we know DLC was already planned before Plant was found information on too. This means its only known plans are after DLC was confirmed.

Both points were always flawed, and assumed a lot but have no real data supporting it straight-out.

As for Slime, I wish it was playable, but we still got an awesome option(and easier to make, to boot. If it was Slime, it'd likely have taken longer, meaning we might've not gotten both reveals at once).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
8 Bit Mario isn't an abhorrent idea, but I don't want it as DLC. I want my DLC characters to be new characters, not an old one with a new moveset (Paper Mario is the one exception)
Yeah, I'd prefer him in the base game or as a bonus. Back in those days, there wasn't really a set limit to how many characters could be added. With the DLC, there's explicit, set amount of slots, so obviously everyone is hoping that at much of those slots as possible will have characters that appeal to them. 8-Bit Mario would have new functions and mechanics in his content, but in the end it's still just more Mario in a series that has always been filled to the brim with Mario. I'd rather cover new bases, not redo old ones.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
8-Bit Mario isn’t a bad idea for fighter at all, but I don’t think it would be a good idea for him to be a DLC fighter when there are other Mario characters that people (Myself included) want more.
Yeah, they should listen to the fans and add a Piranha Plant instead :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This reminds me how much I want a lot of fun echoes for characters to emulate different movesets. 8-Bit Mario doesn't count, but I'd love to see classic Link proper, same with TP Link. Thankfully OOT Link is very similar in Melee compared to 64. Though there are some differences.

Ganondorf with his older Brawl moveset would be nice too(though I'd slap that on Black Shadow, since it would fit him well. You could justify a few more magic/sword moves on Ganondord currently while not taking away his old moveset too hard). That, and I liked him better in 4.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly the fact that Piranha Plant is supposed to be Ultimate's equivalent to Duck Hunt or R.O.B, the "surprise character", tells me that it was supposed to be a base game character.
That... doesn't hold up at all. Those were also added before DLC was ever a thing. DLC wasn't decided on for 4 till last second as well. Ultimate was decided upon in 2017 Summer, which is way before Plant's data was found. The only characters in 4 to be decided upon late were the 3 clones and Mewtwo at best. They were special situations.

Right now, the evidence doesn't really make it clear what it could be either way at this point. It's because the evidence is severely lacking in details, especially the Guidance, which could've been recorded easily after DLC was decided upon being done.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That... doesn't hold up at all. Those were also added before DLC was ever a thing. DLC wasn't decided on for 4 till last second as well. Ultimate was decided upon in 2017 Summer, which is way before Plant's data was found. The only characters in 4 to be decided upon late were the 3 clones and Mewtwo at best. They were special situations.

Right now, the evidence doesn't really make it clear what it could be either way at this point. It's because the evidence is severely lacking in details, especially the Guidance, which could've been recorded easily after DLC was decided upon being done.
But all of the other DLC characters instead use the generic "fighter from another world" conversation like all of Smash 4's DLC characters did in that game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But all of the other DLC characters instead use the generic "fighter from another world" conversation like all of Smash 4's DLC characters did in that game.
Because they were actually all recorded at the same time, which wasn't all licensed till November 2018. They had no actual real time to "make every unique guidance". That also means they'd have to hire every voice actor back for Season 2. That's why those DLC characters, who were directly decided upon much much much later in development, have generic ones.

Piranha Plant easily could've been decided as soon as 2017. More than enough time to get a proper recording. That's almost a year before Banjo & Kazooie alone was licensed. Like, what, 2 or 3 month difference? I mean, Summer 2017 gives you over a year to work on a DLC character, and it wasn't even finished in time for what could've been base(if it ever was meant for base).

That's why it doesn't hold up. PP actually was worked on way earlier than Joker was. More than enough time to get a unique one. November 2018 is when all the DLC Pass was confirmed. That's when they'd have to make the guidances for those characters. The fact they don't have any generic ones means the voice actor was already done being used by that point, but not for the previous year. That's why it's flimsy. We have at least 2-3 years of when Palutena's Guidance could've been recorded for Plant, including after it would've been decided upon as purely DLC. There's no actual way the evidence holds up for it. The time frame 100% matches when Plant can be DLC without any legitimate issues. That doesn't mean Plant is DLC, but it doesn't mean Plant is either.

Even if Plant wasn't planned to be base game, there's enough elements around it (lack of stage and spirit board, not part of a fighting pass) to safely view it as an odd exception for Ultimate's DLC overall.
It's an odd exception, yep. And that's "not part of the fighter's pass" cause it's a bonus dlc character. It only shares that with Mewtwo, the sole other exception to dlc too. Which makes sense. It was the first DLC character thought of, and also didn't have to wait for a unique game to come out or deal with licensing since it's 1st party. So, easy bonus option~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom