• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
If Smash is a celebration of gaming, then Grand Theft Auto deserves to be in Smash. So do Mortal Kombat and Ace Attorney.
These ramblings do not reflect my views of who I'd like to see get in.
Scorpion for Smash would be an epic and nice addition to the roster. Gaming fighting icon with a new moveset, history with Nintendo, good music and a lot of more material. Maybe even Sub Zero as an echo with some B differences.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just saw that Kirby, Monster hunter, Phoenix Wright, Yokai Watch and Reimu are in the last Taiko no tatsujin. https://twitter.com/tech_gaming/status/1334207253944037378?s=19

This make me think that if Nintendo want a more Japanese characters for fighter pass 2 it could be one of those. Monster hunter is huge everywhere, Phoenix Wright is also very popular and well known, Yokai Watch could represent Level 5 who still have no representation, Reimu also have a very big following in Japan and Donchan have a relatively big following there too. I feel like all of those characters could be very easily to work with and that Capcom, Namco, Level 5 and Touhou would easily accept to be in Smash.

So yeah, a bit random post but seeing this image make me think that if they want a more Japanese charater it could easily be one of those. The only one missing is Arle that also have great chance imo.
Japanese centered character_ majority of the roster.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Someone posted a comparison of the two anniversary spirit icons -
https://twitter.com/justajagain/status/1333939658967945216?s=20
...the only additions were Byleth, Minmin and Steve. That's what we got in a whole year. Jesus.
Atleast next year we’ll be getting 4 characters. I’m just gonna chalk up only getting 3 characters this year as another example of 2020 being awful.
Random thought:
Do you think Min Min's delay wasn't just because of Min Min's unique playstyle, but also so the gap between her and Steve wasn't too big? I'd imagine a gap between passes wouldn't be as bad as a gap in the middle of a pass. Still, they explicitly cited Min Min's stretchy arms as a reason as to the delay, so at most Steve would only be partially responsible.
It’s definitely possible. The wait between Min-Min & Steve was already awful since we pinned her down fairly quickly (Well, her or Spring-Man). That wait would’ve been even worse if she had just been announced & released immediately.
Not familiar at all with the character or the games - I'd be most interested in how the moveset plays out really, since the AT has clearly shown quite a lot of potential by itself. Same goes with characters like Sakura really (despite Sakura lacking an AT obviously).

Also (wut):

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/k5crrx
Super Smash Bros: Soon on the Xbox Series X. :4pacman:
sweats in Spartan 117

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If Smash is a celebration of gaming, then Grand Theft Auto deserves to be in Smash. So do Mortal Kombat and Ace Attorney.
What does Ace Attorney have to do with video game history?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What does Ace Attorney have to do with video game history?
I'd argue being the most popular series of your genre is an achievement, even if visual novels aren't that mainstream.

I guess that makes 2 widely beloved Nintendo centric Capcom characters now
To be honest the most surprising part of this is that the remaster version of Okami (which would include PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Switch and Steam) has sold 2,2 million of copies. I meant it in a good way: I was expecting way less copies sold.

2,2 million for a simple HD port of a relatively niche game is great. A new game wouldn't take a lot of resources, so who knows, maybe a new Okami game isn't that unlikely as I thought.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd argue being the most popular series of your genre is an achievement, even if visual novels aren't that mainstream.
I'm not going to say it isn't- I just thought that when compared to GTA- one of the greatest selling gaming franchises ever, or Mortal Kombat- which brought on the ESRB, there might be something more specific.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The 10 most deserving series for a character (no bias)

1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Grovyle)
2. Scribblenauts (Maxwel)
3. Kirby (Bandana Dee)
4. Undertale (Frisk)
5. Mega Man X (Megaman X)
6. Yoshi (Kamek)
7. Kirby again (Marx)
8. Ace Attourny (Phoenix Wright)
9. Mario (Fawful)
10. Devil May Cry (Dante)

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

3. Kirby (Bandana Dee)
4. Undertale (Frisk)
6. Yoshi (Kamek)
7. Kirby again (Marx)
9. Mario (Fawful)
The 10 deserving series for me:
  1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Kingdom Hearts (Sora)
  3. Resident Evil (Jill Valentine)
  4. Ring Fit Adventure (Trainee)
  5. Kirby (Bandana Dee)
  6. Dragalia Lost (Euden)
  7. Dark Souls (Chosen Undead)
  8. Ys (Adol Christin)
  9. Yoshi (Kamek)
  10. Any character(s) from Nintendo's NES days

Last edited:
The idea of franchises that "deserve" to be in Smash is interesting, since I find that my list of wants is a lot different than what I think is deserving. Granted, I think the concept is misplaced a little when we all know that isn't how things are decided, but here goes in no particular order:

Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Ace Attorney
Xenoblade
Dark Souls
Tomb Raider
Streets of Rage/River City/some other classic Beatemup I'm missing
Contra
Either Doom or Halo
Warcraft

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

WALLACE AND GROMIT FOR SMASH GUYS????
The internet never ceases to amaze.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What do you base that on?
Maybe there's some kind of popularity list somewhere or something, I mean, I don't have numbers if that's what you're asking.

It might be just me but Ace Attorney was the first visual novel series I heard of. And without going into really specific communities or circles, Ace Attorney seems to be the most popular/known franchise of the genre for outsiders. In other words, I'm pretty much convinced if you started asking gamers which visual novel series they recognize or have heard of, AA would be at least in the top 3.

Just that. I wasn't saying the series is as influential or important for the story of gaming as Resident Evil, to name one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Don’t mind me nabbing this from the Geno thread and while it’s not Smash related it is Switch related...
Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet but it seems they have discontinued the Switch sick in the UK at least. Doesn't seem likely that it would be discontinued for no reason whatsoever. Could be because of the hypothetical Pro that has been going around for way too long. Could be nothing of course but worth bringing up nonetheless
Switch Pro/Ultra next year...?

Don’t mind me nabbing this from the Geno thread and while it’s not Smash related it is Switch related...

Or they're just upgrading the dock, or production is too low so they can't keep up with extra docks along with the ones that come with the system.

A Switch Pro seems reasonable, but there are other possible reasons for the dock thing.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Maybe there's some kind of popularity list somewhere or something, I mean, I don't have numbers if that's what you're asking.

It might be just me but Ace Attorney was the first visual novel series I heard of. And without going into really specific communities or circles, Ace Attorney seems to be the most popular/known franchise of the genre for outsiders. In other words, I'm pretty much convinced if you started asking gamers which visual novel series they recognize or have heard of, AA would be at least in the top 3.

Just that. I wasn't saying the series is as influential or important for the story of gaming as Resident Evil, to name one.
Fate is pretty big.

7NATOR

Smash Master

For Right now, it's only discotinuing in the UK, and I Believe it's only the Seperate Dock thing. Docks still come with New Switches

For Switch Pro though, Perhaps. I thought that be a 2022 or later honestly

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

3. Kirby (Bandana Dee)
4. Undertale (Frisk)
6. Yoshi (Kamek)
7. Kirby again (Marx)
9. Mario (Fawful)
Jeez- even with characters I support here, I cannot support any of this list.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If I was choosing series based purely on who """Deserves""" it...

Trails (Estelle) [there is absolutely no Bias here no siree]
Half-Life (Gordon Freeman)
Warcraft (Arthas)
Resident Evil (Wesker)
River City Rampage/Final Fight (Kunio/Mike Haggar)
Mortal Kombat (Scorpion/Sub-Zero)
Fate (Saber)
Xenoblade (Lora)
Dark Souls (Chosen Undead)

and probably some others I am too tired to think of.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I suddenly figured it out but one way we'll tell if we get a reveal next week is said character being leaked at the last minute as with what happened with Steve.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I suddenly figured it out but one way we'll tell if we get a reveal next week is said character being leaked at the last minute as with what happened with Steve.
It was that one Reddit insider who only posts up to an hour in advance. Think his name was paintbrush something I forget

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
i thought it was obvious it was a joke? i was literally listing off my top 10. I don't actually think Grovyle's the most deserving character (I'd struggle to fit him in the top 100)
I just don't assume most things on this forum are a joke. Just because they usually seems to be, to me.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Fate is pretty big.
The VNs haven't really left Japan all that much and the franchise in general was very niche and obscure outside of Japan until Grand Order came along.

Not saying it's not big, but it's definitely not big because of the VNs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom