• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
To be honest I think Sans killed the chances of a full Undertale pack. If there's an Undertale pack, it is going to come with Megalovania. If it comes with Megalovania, it's going to make the Sans Mii seem redundant. If it doesn't, that can't happen because it's %$#@ING MEGALOVANIA.
my (... i don't want to say "theory" but it's the only word that fits) is that they weren't planning on adding an undertale character and just the costume, Sans sells like the hottest of hotcakes and overshadows Terry and Banjo, and then Nintendo's like "yo this is free money add an undertale for real", hence the 6th slot.

I'm not 100% on this, not anything close, but I think it's possible.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
To be honest I think Sans killed the chances of a full Undertale pack. If there's an Undertale pack, it is going to come with Megalovania. If it comes with Megalovania, it's going to make the Sans Mii seem redundant. If it doesn't, that can't happen because it's %$#@ING MEGALOVANIA.
The sans costume had a new remix if Frisk or someone else joins they could add the original, and God knows there are enough versions of Megalovania to go around.

How many versions of Lost in thoughts are there? they have added multiple versions of 1 song before. They have also done Challenger packs without famous songs like the lack of any C418 tracks in Steves pack.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

2nd anniversary Spirit event
Oh ****! 2!!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Anyways, here's this month's writeup, made completely on a whim. I saw it was her day on RTC, so I just shrugged and went "Eh, why not?"

1606877414306.png

This time around, I'm covering Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

First off, an introduction to Bloodstained. Basically, Konami didn't want to do anything with Castlevania, so IGA decided "Screw it, I'll do my own thing" and asked for funding on Kickstarter. The $500,000 goal was promptly shattered and they ended up making over five times that, to the point that they still had to make up stretch goals on the final day. Bloodstained became the most funded game on Kickstarter, defeating a two-year record holder (And then getting beaten by Shenmue III a month later, but hey, it's still a win).

Bloodstained is, in essence, copyright-friendly Castlevania, being a sidescrolling metroidvania with RPG elements. The gameplay consists of clearing out every nook and cranny in the demon-infested castle. It's basically a greatest hits of the series, as a bone throw for Castlevania fans left suffering from withdrawal by Konami.

Bloodstained stars Miriam, an orphan infused with demonic strength by the Alchemist's Guild. The Alchemists were left without their wealthy patrons by the rise of technology, and so they summoned the demons to scare them straight. To do this, they infused many orphans, Miriam included, with demonic crystals, turning them into Shardbinders. Shardbinders are able to absorb demonic power, and are signified by crystal patches on their body. Eventually, the crystal with overtake them and they will die. At least, that's what would've happened has the Alchemists not sacrificed them in a demonic ritual that ended up ravaging the world.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Miriam's goal is to stop the only other remaining Shardbinder, her close friend Gebel, who has been turned evil by the curse and had become lord of the castle. Beyond him, she also meets the demon-slaying ronin Zangetsu and her father figure, the former alchemist Alfred. These figures are all playable in the retro spinoff Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Curse of the Moon takes place in an alternate timeline, being more of a side-story that actually has a lot of parallels to Ritual. It later got a sequel, promoting the shopkeeper Dominique, as well as the paranoid sniper Robert and the steampunk mech piloting corgi Hachi. Corgis...

While Zangetsu is the main character of the Curse subseries, Miriam still gets the most promotion for the series overall, as Ritual is what it's all based upon. As such, I have no doubt that she'd be the one chosen, in the hypothetical situation where we get a Bloodstained rep.

Now for moveset potential!

checks massive list

...This may take a while.

Bloodstained has a truly massive amount of content. Miriam's closest equivalent is Soma Cruz from the Sorrow games, using weapons in conjunction with spells gained from slaying demons. There are no less than ten different weapon types: Boots, Knives, Rapiers, Swords, Clubs, Greatswords, Katanas, Polearms, Whips, and Firearms. Out of them, Miriam is most associated with the sword Blue Rose, as well as the greatsword Eternal Blue and the whip Andromeda. Aside from those, other notable weapons include Rhava Velar, basically a bootleg Crissaegrim, and the Swordwhip, a piece of downloadable content that's pretty self-explanditory.

As for the Shards? Well... Let's just say there's a lot. Here's a couple.
  • Cerulean Splash - First Shard you get. Simple ball of water.
  • Flame Cannon - First directional Shard. Ball of flame that can be angled.
  • Riga Storaema - A pillar of fire. After enough upgrades it becomes a lot of pillars and annihilates everything in sight.
  • Heretical Grinder - Rotating skewer covered in blades. Can be angled.
  • Welcome Company - Rotating ring of paintings. Said paintings are feature portraits of backers. With enough upgrades it becomes pretty overpowered as well.
  • Craftwork - A big hand of stained glass. Is just begging to become a grab.
  • Thrashing Tentacles - The first boss Shard you get. Summons... Well, it's in the name.
  • Invert - Miriam inverts her gravity. Pretty much the Inverted Castle in spell form.
I don't think this is even 10% of all the Shards, there's just that much. Anyways, obligatory music dump:

Fun fact, I once made a concept for a potential Bloodstained Challenger Pack. It was a while ago; I kinda veered into the territory of unrealistic and I'd probably change up Miriam's moveset a lot, but here you go.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyways, here's this month's writeup, made completely on a whim. I saw it was her day on RTC, so I just shrugged and went "Eh, why not?"

View attachment 293558
This time around, I'm covering Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

First off, an introduction to Bloodstained. Basically, Konami didn't want to do anything with Castlevania, so IGA decided "Screw it, I'll do my own thing" and asked for funding on Kickstarter. The $500,000 goal was promptly shattered and they ended up making over five times that, to the point that they still had to make up stretch goals on the final day. Bloodstained became the most funded game on Kickstarter, defeating a two-year record holder (And then getting beaten by Shenmue III a month later, but hey, it's still a win).

Bloodstained is, in essence, copyright-friendly Castlevania, being a sidescrolling metroidvania with RPG elements. The gameplay consists of clearing out every nook and cranny in the demon-infested castle. It's basically a greatest hits of the series, as a bone throw for Castlevania fans left suffering from withdrawal by Konami.

Bloodstained stars Miriam, an orphan infused with demonic strength by the Alchemist's Guild. The Alchemists were left without their wealthy patrons by the rise of technology, and so they summoned the demons to scare them straight. To do this, they infused many orphans, Miriam included, with demonic crystals, turning them into Shardbinders. Shardbinders are able to absorb demonic power, and are signified by crystal patches on their body. Eventually, the crystal with overtake them and they will die. At least, that's what would've happened has the Alchemists not sacrificed them in a demonic ritual that ended up ravaging the world.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Miriam's goal is to stop the only other remaining Shardbinder, her close friend Gebel, who has been turned evil by the curse and had become lord of the castle. Beyond him, she also meets the demon-slaying ronin Zangetsu and her father figure, the former alchemist Alfred. These figures are all playable in the retro spinoff Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Curse of the Moon takes place in an alternate timeline, being more of a side-story that actually has a lot of parallels to Ritual. It later got a sequel, promoting the shopkeeper Dominique, as well as the paranoid sniper Robert and the steampunk mech piloting corgi Hachi. Corgis...

While Zangetsu is the main character of the Curse subseries, Miriam still gets the most promotion for the series overall, as Ritual is what it's all based upon. As such, I have no doubt that she'd be the one chosen, in the hypothetical situation where we get a Bloodstained rep.

Now for moveset potential!

checks massive list

...This may take a while.

Bloodstained has a truly massive amount of content. Miriam's closest equivalent is Soma Cruz from the Sorrow games, using weapons in conjunction with spells gained from slaying demons. There are no less than ten different weapon types: Boots, Knives, Rapiers, Swords, Clubs, Greatswords, Katanas, Polearms, Whips, and Firearms. Out of them, Miriam is most associated with the sword Blue Rose, as well as the greatsword Eternal Blue and the whip Andromeda. Aside from those, other notable weapons include Rhava Velar, basically a bootleg Crissaegrim, and the Swordwhip, a piece of downloadable content that's pretty self-explanditory.

As for the Shards? Well... Let's just say there's a lot. Here's a couple.
  • Cerulean Splash - First Shard you get. Simple ball of water.
  • Flame Cannon - First directional Shard. Ball of flame that can be angled.
  • Riga Storaema - A pillar of fire. After enough upgrades it becomes a lot of pillars and annihilates everything in sight.
  • Heretical Grinder - Rotating skewer covered in blades. Can be angled.
  • Welcome Company - Rotating ring of paintings. Said paintings are feature portraits of backers. With enough upgrades it becomes pretty overpowered as well.
  • Craftwork - A big hand of stained glass. Is just begging to become a grab.
  • Thrashing Tentacles - The first boss Shard you get. Summons... Well, it's in the name.
  • Invert - Miriam inverts her gravity. Pretty much the Inverted Castle in spell form.
I don't think this is even 10% of all the Shards, there's just that much. Anyways, obligatory music dump:

Fun fact, I once made a concept for a potential Bloodstained Challenger Pack. It was a while ago; I kinda veered into the territory of unrealistic and I'd probably change up Miriam's moveset a lot, but here you go.
Now you're just giving me more reason to get this game which I've already decided on.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
insert Bakamitai joke here

Not that we're talking about Bakamitai, I must say... I'm glad Kiryu's version of the song is the one that became a meme. I would have hated seeing Akiyama's rendition of the song suffering that fate. I'll take this opportunity to share his version, the best one if you ask me:

Besides the fact that the character is an absolute chad, Akiyama's VA (Koichi Yamadera) has a great voice for singing. Also, VERY fun fact: this guy has also voiced:
  • Spike from Cowboy Bebop
  • Tien Shinhan from Dragon Ball
  • Donkey Kong in the DKC TV show
  • Farfetch'd in the Pokémon anime
  • and ****ing Donald in the Kingdom Hearts games

Ivander

Smash Legend
Besides the fact that the character is an absolute chad, Akiyama's VA (Koichi Yamadera) has a great voice for singing. Also, VERY fun fact: this guy has also voiced:
  • Spike from Cowboy Bebop
  • Tien Shinhan from Dragon Ball
  • Donkey Kong in the DKC TV show
  • Farfetch'd in the Pokémon anime
  • and ****ing Donald in the Kingdom Hearts games
Umm, doesn't he voice Beerus, not Tien?

That said, I mainly know him for voicing the giant Chinese robot centaur in Fate/Grand Order.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Umm, doesn't he voice Beerus, not Tien?
Yes, he voiced Tenshinhan in only two episodes in DBZ, temporarily replacing Hirotaka Suzuoki (RIP).
Fun Fact: Tenshinhan is currently voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa aka the voice of Marth.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I like Hackurai's Masahiro's pictures and all, but what does POTD have to do with roster speculation?
Because it's not Smash speculation without analyzing every single move that Sakurai makes. If he so much as posts a photo of himself eating Cheerios for breakfast, we're going to be predicting a General Mills Rep for FP8.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It feels weird that there's a chance we're 3 days away from a reveal and I just find myself not caring. I haven't played Smash in a month so that's probably got something to do with it, though a TGA reveal being impossible to catch live probably dampens things for me
I find myself not caring because I know the chances of a TGA reveal are so astronomically low anyways that I don't think it's even worth thinking about.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Because it's not Smash speculation without analyzing every single move that Sakurai makes. If he so much as posts a photo of himself eating Cheerios for breakfast, we're going to be predicting a General Mills Rep for FP8.
O YEAHH CHEX QUEST BAYBEEE
chex-quest_7.png

...is what I would be joking about if that were to happen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Y'know, it's a weird combination of funny and sad if you go back a year from now and look at all the spectacular DLC characters people were predicting for 2020.

If only I could go back in time. No one would believe me.
People would be too busy laughing their asses off at the idea of an ARMS rep opening FP2 to discuss how their predictions haven't changed.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Someone posted a comparison of the two anniversary spirit icons -
https://twitter.com/justajagain/status/1333939658967945216?s=20
...the only additions were Byleth, Minmin and Steve. That's what we got in a whole year. Jesus.
To be fair, that's equal to the number of reveals we got last year (:ulthero:,:ult_terry:, and:ultbanjokazooie:). We did 5 characters released, but we already knew about Piranha Plant and Joker in 2018. So, while it is a step down, I don't think it's too bad relative to 2019, especially when you factor in the crazy workload that came that :ultminmin and :ultsteve: brought.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, that's equal to the number of reveals we got last year (:ulthero:,:ult_terry:, and:ultbanjokazooie:). We did 5 characters released, but we already knew about Piranha Plant and Joker in 2018. So, while it is a step down, I don't think it's too bad relative to 2019, especially when you factor in the crazy workload that came that :ultminmin and :ultsteve: brought.
Not to mention there was something that shut down just about every major business on the planet for awhile. Still currently affecting them too. That tends to slow production even if only a little.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It feels weird that there's a chance we're 3 days away from a reveal and I just find myself not caring. I haven't played Smash in a month so that's probably got something to do with it, though a TGA reveal being impossible to catch live probably dampens things for me
Wait what 3 days? The VGA isn't until next Thursday.

Edit: Nevermind saw your other post and osby's.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

2nd anniversary Spirit event
Erdrick but no other Hero?

Status