• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Speaking of which, here's another question for this board, if you had to choose between Target Blast (Angry Birds Mode), or the regular Target Smash from the first three games to bring back as DLC for Ultimate, which would you pick?

Actually let's up it a notch and throw in Board the Platforms as well for a ranking match.

My priority would be:

1. Target Smash
2. Board the Platforms
3. Target Blast
I'd take the older target Smash back easily.

Especially if it could be like how it was in 64 and Melee, but yikes at how much work would have to be done to give literally every character their own target Smash stage.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Speaking of which, here's another question for this board, if you had to choose between Target Blast (Angry Birds Mode), or the regular Target Smash from the first three games to bring back as DLC for Ultimate, which would you pick?

Actually let's up it a notch and throw in Board the Platforms as well for a ranking match.

My priority would be:

1. Target Smash
2. Board the Platforms
3. Target Blast
1. Board the Platforms, let's finally give it some love
2. Target Smash
3. Target Blast

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that we will be getting any more new modes. I actually think that Home Run Contest and Stage Builder were intended for the base game but were pushed off to post-launch updates because of time constraints.

D

Deleted member

There is one thing I wish people personally request Sakurai. The character select screen. There should be an option where we can organize the characters based off their series. They said the CSS is based off order of appearance, but yet the Mii fighters are dead last and echo fighters are right next to the character their based on or in the same slot. That’s kinda breaking their own rules. Brawl CSS was incredibly organized. I’m okay if Ultimate was like Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman

My priority would be:

1. Target Smash
2. Board the Platforms
3. Target Blast
1. Race to the Finish (64)
2. Race to the Finish (Melee)
3. Race to the Finish (64)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't get it. Are we expecting a TGA reveal? If so, why are we expecting a TGA reveal? Weren't we expecting one last year, only to be made a laughing stock?
View attachment 293464
1606854362058.png

Good question. Doesn't help that I'm getting conflicting info on how consistent they are. On one hand, Joker's reveal was a last-minute decision, but on the other, Byleth was supposedly intended for TGA and was pushed back at the last minute. I dunno what's going on anymore.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

My priority would be:

1. Target Smash
2. Board the Platforms
3. Target Blast
Pretty much the same as yours, but make it like Brawl’s where there’s 10 based on difficulty level (think Level 0 to Level 9).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't get it. Are we expecting a TGA reveal? If so, why are we expecting a TGA reveal? Weren't we expecting one last year, only to be made a laughing stock?
View attachment 293464
Because folks are already over Steve and wants to get to the next character already despite eventually moving on the next week after trying him/her out.

When will folks learn that Joker at the VGA was a one-time thing and only?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
We already got it as a mode in Smash 4, so why not? :^)
A terrible mode at that. Break the Targets/Target Smash >>>>>>>>>>> Target Blast, in my opinion. Feel free to disagree though, I’m not the opinion police.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm confused. Joker was supposedly a one-time thing, a last-minute decision, but Byleth would've fit the timing well, and could've been shoved back at the last minute...

...Maybe I should just stop speculating for the sake of my brain...
It might be because they realized another FE character even if they're from a game that won lots of awards, would still make some people mad.

You don't want that kind of thing at VGA. I mean it happens all the time, but companies try to avoid it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It might be because they realized another FE character even if they're from a game that won lots of awards, would still make some people mad.

You don't want that kind of thing at VGA. I mean it happens all the time, but companies try to avoid it.
On one hand, FE has a touchy relationship with Smash. On the other... If it got multiple nominations, why be so worried? I'm not sure what to think.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Can’t be any worse than that Fast & Furious shovel ware game that looked like it was a PS3/360 game

that was the lowest point of the show, you had nothing to lose at that point

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On one hand, FE has a touchy relationship with Smash. On the other... If it got multiple nominations, why be so worried? I'm not sure what to think.
Not to mention there's always salt and mad fans within fandoms, why would this be any different?

Also, where's the evidence that Byleth was intended to be featured in last year's VGA?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not to mention there's always salt and mad fans within fandoms, why would this be any different?

Also, where's the evidence that Byleth was intended to be featured in last year's VGA?
Apparently a leaker mentioned that Byleth was supposed to be revealed there, but got delayed. Don't remember who, though...

kylexv

Smash Master
I will be watching the Game Awards this year
Do I expect a Smash reveal? Maybe.
Do I expect disappointment? Absolutely.

People knew that the character was Byleth like five seconds into the trailer. Pretty much all of the DLC fighter reveal trailers have attempted to keep people guessing throughout the first part of the trailer. However, there is a sole exception to this, and that is Joker, who was a Game Awards reveal and made some people think it was a P5R announcement at first. Likewise, assuming Byleth's trailer was to be shown in the same way, some people would have thought it was a trailer for Three Houses DLC. At least, that's the train of thought.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So if this is the case? What's the chances we could be getting another reveal at the VGA this year given Joker and originally Byleth?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s pretty simple.

Smash works well as a Game Awards announcement, but that doesn’t mean it will absolutely, positively, 100% happen.

So hope for one, sure. But there’s no guarantee.

As long as you head into things with that sort of mentality, there’s little room for, “WOAH, HOW COULD WE HAVE BEEN SOOOOO WRONG”.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know we all joke about how bad this year's Game Awards will be, but...Geoff Keighley more than likely knew about the backlash ever since last year, so surely he'll do something to improve.
Isn't this the same man who brought Green Day to the VGAs?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID