• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Why Monokuma tho? Yeah he's the mascot but what will he represent the core part of the gameplay of the class trial since so far all character represent their core part of their game. Joker with Persona, Steve with crafting and mining, and Min Min with ARMS gameplay. It would be very odd to just plop the truth bullet gameplay to Monokuma when canonically he can't.
Capturing the game mechanics of a series is important, but I also think there's value in capturing the aesthetic of a series. Personas don't work in-game like Arsene does in Smash, but between his general agility, animations, and UI elements, Joker does a great job capturing the feeling and aesthetic of Persona 5. Danganronpa is a mystery game, yes, but it also has this dark but wacky tone that is primarily because of Monokuma -- he's the one calling the shots and setting the rules of the killing games. While the protags are the ones executing the core gameplay loop, to me they're too nice and serious to really capture that Danganronpa feeling in a fight.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Capturing the game mechanics of a series is important, but I also think there's value in capturing the aesthetic of a series. Personas don't work in-game like Arsene does in Smash, but between his general agility, animations, and UI elements, Joker does a great job capturing the feeling and aesthetic of Persona 5. Danganronpa is a mystery game, yes, but it also has this dark but wacky tone that is primarily because of Monokuma -- he's the one calling the shots and setting the rules of the killing games. While the protags are the ones executing the core gameplay loop, to me they're too nice and serious to really capture that Danganronpa feeling in a fight.
It's odd to have the literally main character that you control not being a playable character and instead the villain cause the plot revolve around them and Monokuma just execute things from the background. Heck the protag fit very well as fighter since it could be another interpretation of the class trial with the final smash being the execution as they watches their enemy suffer and distress. It's like if Phoenix Wright is a fighter he for sure acts as if the fight is part of the investigating and court room.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I see no universe where it isn't Monokuma. The others would be cooler but it would almost certainly be Monokuma
Conversely, I see no universe where they would choose someone who's basically an announcer over a character people actually like and play as across the game.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
My two cents on the matter is that as an outsider to the series, Monokuma seems to be by far the most iconic and well-known Daganronpa character, as well as the most important character plot-wise. It's kinda like Pikachu or Sans; They're not the main character but they're iconic enough to become the face of the game regardless.
The bear says it himself:
no-dr-without-monokuma.jpg

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
My two cents on the matter is that as an outsider to the series, Monokuma seems to be by far the most iconic and well-known Daganronpa character, as well as the most important character plot-wise. It's kinda like Pikachu or Sans; They're not the main character but they're iconic enough to become the face of the game regardless.
He's very different to Pikachu as every Pokemon have the exact 4 move heck there's even an electric type move that Pikachu have that others also have so it's not something special while Monokuma is very different and is just there as a mascot, his literally purpose is a mascot and a disguise for the villain which could literally trigger a spoiler alert cause Danganronpa is heavily rely on the story and it's not an ancient game like Mother 3 or Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
He's very different to Pikachu as every Pokemon have the exact 4 move heck there's even an electric type move that Pikachu have that others also have so it's not something special while Monokuma is very different and is just there as a mascot, his literally purpose is a mascot and a disguise for the villain which could literally trigger a spoiler alert.
...I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. That Pikachu is fine because they represent the whole species? That Monokuma doesn't have enough "moveset potential?" That Pikachu is more important in the setting than Monokuma? I'd like a clarification, please.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Wait ****... I rescind my "No Universe" and a few of my other comments on this situation. I caught the Dumb Brains™ and forgot to realize that all the characters added as the first rep in the series have been the playable one regardless of how boring or "sidelined" they are. I still think Monokuma has a slight advantage due to just how Iconic and Central to the plot he is but I should not have dismissed Makoto/Hajime/Kaede/Shuichi so quickly.

EDIT: My posts on this topic are now Certified 🤡 posts

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If we Did Get Monokuma as a Playable Character, that would be the Perfect time to Drop that Freddy Fazbear Mii costume...

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
...I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. That Pikachu is fine because they represent the whole species? That Monokuma doesn't have enough "moveset potential?" That Pikachu is more important in the setting than Monokuma? I'd like a clarification, please.
The thing is, Pikachu represent the whole entire of Pokemon cause outside the anime he's basically a wild pokemon just like others cause in Smash that Pikachu is just your average Pikachu not Ash's Pikachu but considered special because he's a mascot.

Monokuma does have a moveset potential but claws swipe doesn't really fit the idea of a murder mystery game where the evidence is a weapon and this is because the main game is a visual novel / mystery where Monokuma didn't just roam around the room unlike Ultra Despair Girls which is the spin-off.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Indie Mii costumes had no connection with the character they came with, so it's not like a Freddy Mii can't happen just because Monokuma doesn't show up.
Oh I wasn't saying that. I think Freddy will get Mii Costume regardless

but that if Monokuma was Playable, it be the perfect time to drop the Freddy Costume. Both are Bears, that Kill People, and got a Huge Following of youtube

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we get a Freddy costume I can finally make my Five Nights at ****boy’s memes

its time

to inhale

Also

they finally showed the Rex costume in promotional material (POTD/trailers/the like). Game Over for him...?

I’d think so tbh

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oh I wasn't saying that. I think Freddy will get Mii Costume regardless

but that if Monokuma was Playable, it be the perfect time to drop the Freddy Costume. Both are Bears, that Kill People, and got a Huge Following of youtube
And it's very much where the similarities end, after that they are very different characters. You sure love looking only at the surface level of things. :p

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

its time

to inhale

Also

they finally showed the Rex costume in promotional material (POTD/trailers/the like). Game Over for him...?

I’d think so tbh
It Might just be me, but I feel like you were itching to Deconfirm Rex Quick once you saw the Pic

But I actually Kinda agree though, not that I was predicting Rex Anyway, but I think this Pic could have some merit against Rex. When it comes to the DLC Characters in the game, I don't think they referenced anything related to the DLC before they were made Playable.

And it's very much where the similarities end, after that they are very different characters. You sure love looking only at the surface level of things. :p
Might I ask what makes you say that?

In any case, I do Like Looking deep within as well. I know Monokuma and Freddy are different characters, but from a Mii Costume pattern standpoint, I think Both of them would fit well together, is what I mean

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

In any case, I do Like Looking deep within as well. I know Monokuma and Freddy are different characters, but from a Mii Costume pattern standpoint, I think Both of them would fit well together, is what I mean
Saying they'd fit just because they're bears that kill people makes it feel like you might not know these characters all too well.

Also, "huge following on YouTube" can be debatable because Danganronpa is still relatively niche, iirc.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It Might just be me, but I feel like you were itching to Deconfirm Rex Quick once you saw the Pic

But I actually Kinda agree though, not that I was predicting Rex Anyway, but I think this Pic could have some merit against Rex. When it comes to the DLC Characters in the game, I don't think they referenced anything related to the DLC before they were made Playable.

I’m just pointing out a pattern, iirc they didn’t show Spring Man’s AT in any gameplay trailers for DLC or POTD until Min Min’s trailer

I know I know, I’m just saying...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Rie did the same when No More Heroes 3 got delayed to 2021.

She'd eventually be right, but for the wrong reasons. :p

I’m just pointing out a pattern, iirc they didn’t show Spring Man’s AT in any gameplay trailers for DLC or POTD until Min Min’s trailer
They really had no reason to before, but he was perfect for Min Min due to being from the same franchise.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Saying they'd fit just because they're bears that kill people makes it feel like you might not know these characters all too well.

Also, "huge following on YouTube" can be debatable because Danganronpa is still relatively niche, iirc.
There's also the fact that they're robots and have kids/teens behind them, though how willing they are varies

7NATOR

Smash Master

I Don't know Monokuma All that well to be honest with you. I just know he Executes people and stuff

I'm very Familiar with Freddy, though I haven't been keeping up with the Lore of FNAF since I believe the VR Game.

And Maybe "Huge Following" for Danganronpa is a bit much, but I guess i speak from personal experience, since I saw good amount of Danganronpa videos on Youtube and such, and Is How I came to know that this franchise existed

Rie did the same when No More Heroes 3 got delayed to 2021.

She'd eventually be right, but for the wrong reasons. :p
Well I'd at least say that personally, I could see where Rie is Coming from with this Pic Deconfirming Rex, Because There has been a Pattern to References to DLC Characters only coming after the Character is revealed. This would mean no rex

But on that note, That would also Mean No Ryu Hayabusa, Arle, or Crash Bandicoot, So if Rex Deconfirmed here, those Characters also Deconfirmed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I Don't know Monokuma All that well to be honest with you. I just know he Executes people and stuff

I'm very Familiar with Freddy, though I haven't been keeping up with the Lore of FNAF since I believe the VR Game.

And Maybe "Huge Following" for Danganronpa is a bit much, but I guess i speak from personal experience, since I saw good amount of Danganronpa videos on Youtube and such, and Is How I came to know that this franchise existed

Well I'd at least say that personally, I could see where Rie is Coming from with this Pic Deconfirming Rex, Because There has been a Pattern to References to DLC Characters only coming after the Character is revealed. This would mean no rex

But on that note, That would also Mean No Ryu Hayabusa, Arle, or Crash Bandicoot, So if Rex Deconfirmed here, those Characters also Deconfirmed
Whoa hold up where’d Arle, Hayabusa and Crash come from???

cashregister9

Smash Hero
You mean those POTD that were tangential references at best that people looked into way to hard?

IIRC there was a POTD that had a Marth and Yellow Kirby(?) and people said "It looks like Arle and Carbuncle" there was another one with Sheik in front of the moon and people said "It's like Ninja Gaiden" and another with 2 clocks and since crash 4 has villains with 2 clocks on them people said "Is this a Crash reference?"

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

its time

to inhale

Also

I’d think so tbh
Just to let you know Just because they did that won’t make Elma likely

7NATOR

Smash Master
Shortly Before Byleth got Revealed, there were pics of the Day that Referenced Ninja Gaiden and Puyo Puyo. For Puyo Puyo in Particular (because Ryu was deconfirmed by Vergeben and Sabi (Am I allowed to Mention Sabi Here)) it added to the Speculation that Arle was fighter 5, with Papagenos Accelerating that Speculation

And for Crash, there was that Clock Pic that got everyone in a Frenzt, but there were other Pics posted after that referenced Crash too

If Rex is Deconfirmed because of this Pic, and there is a Pattern of DLC only being Referenced after they are revealed, then Arle, Crash, and Ryu will not be Playable in FP2

And just to go off the Tangent, this would also Support Harada Theory, which Deconfirmed Arle and Crash Also. It would also Deconfirm Master Chief, Fortnite, Doomguy, and Sora

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just to let you know Just because they did that won’t make Elma likely
I didn’t mention anything about Elma in my post but ok :drshrug:
Shortly Before Byleth got Revealed, there were pics of the Day that Referenced Ninja Gaiden and Puyo Puyo. For Puyo Puyo in Particular (because Ryu was deconfirmed by Vergeben and Sabi (Am I allowed to Mention Sabi Here)) it added to the Speculation that Arle was fighter 5, with Papagenos Accelerating that Speculation

And for Crash, there was that Clock Pic that got everyone in a Frenzt, but there were other Pics posted after that referenced Crash too

If Rex is Deconfirmed because of this Pic, and there is a Pattern of DLC only being Referenced after they are revealed, then Arle, Crash, and Ryu will not be Playable in FP2

And just to go off the Tangent, this would also Support Harada Theory, which Deconfirmed Arle and Crash Also. It would also Deconfirm Master Chief, Fortnite, Doomguy, and Sora
I feel like the homages wouldn’t count against the characters they’re referencing tho

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

That just sounds like a reach based on inconclusive evidence

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

I feel like the homages wouldn’t count against the characters they’re referencing tho
Oh I know that you didn’t it’s just that I feel like you just want her as the last xeno rep standing that’s all

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

its time

to inhale

Also

I’d think so tbh
Is it bad that I know what FNAF fangame you're referencing?

What? Markiplier getting drunk was fun to watch.

I think they were referring to your status as the Resident Elma Stan (Patent Pending).

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Wait ****... I rescind my "No Universe" and a few of my other comments on this situation. I caught the Dumb Brains™ and forgot to realize that all the characters added as the first rep in the series have been the playable one regardless of how boring or "sidelined" they are. I still think Monokuma has a slight advantage due to just how Iconic and Central to the plot he is but I should not have dismissed Makoto/Hajime/Kaede/Shuichi so quickly.

EDIT: My posts on this topic are now Certified 🤡 posts
Glad you get the point, Naegi/Hajime/Saihara is still really important to the plot but have the disadvantage of hardly recognizable due to us playing them in first person but only in class trial and in cutscene, Monokuma tho is easily recognizable because he is literally the mascot but suffer from possessing the core gameplay of Danganronpa as with every Fighter Pass character have and just truly there as just a looming threat or just being a generic enemy in the spin-off.

Still Naegi will go first as our DR rep while Monokuma could actually be a costume like this
Manga_Cover_-_Danganronpa_4koma_Kings_Volume_1_(Front)_(Japanese).jpg

2B

Crash Bandicoot

Dante

Doom Slayer

Master Chief

Monokuma

Ryu Hayabusa

Anyone else that would feel like a VGA reveal?
Ratchet and Clank cause why not

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom