• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
It just seems extremely weird to me to put anyone other than terry honestly
If it's Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, I agree. But if it's Smash Bros X King of Fighters, then it should be Kyo, no contest.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
To be fair you could say that about quite a lot of characters. Like, I bet you could guess all of these characters by just one phrase.

"SONIC BOOM!" "SONIC BOOM!"
"PK FIRE!" "PK FIRE!"
"PSYLOCKE!" "PSYLOCKE!"
"SOUL FIST!" "SOUL FIST!"
"TAKE THIS!" "TAKE THIS!"
"HADOUKEN!" "HADOUKEN!"
"HI I'M DAISY!" "HI I'M DAISY!"
"OUT OF THE WAY! PLEASE!" "I FIGHT FOR PEACE!"
"BEHOLD! THIS IS DIVINITY!"
“DORIYAH! DORIYAH! DORIYAH!”
“BEGONE! BEGONE!”
限界を超える.” (Not too long later...) 限界を超える.”
“K E E P Y O U R E Y E S O P E N”

SKX31

Smash Master
Most characters don't combine it with an extremely annoying voice.
To be fair though, annoyance can be a teeny bit subjective. Tier list scrappies or joke characters can fall into that without having an annoying voice per se, for example.

“DORIYAH! DORIYAH! DORIYAH!”
“BEGONE! BEGONE!”
限界を超える.” (Not too long later...) 限界を超える.”
“K E E P Y O U R E Y E S O P E N”
"HAA!"
"TAY!"
"TORYA!"
*BLIP* *BLIP* *BLIP*
"COME ON!"
"GGUUUAAHH!"
"WAUGH!"
"MIUH!"
"HAA!"
"EUAH!"
"TAY!"
"KSHU!"
*GAME!"
"MISHUUN CUMPLEET!"

Polan

Smash Lord
To be fair though, annoyance can be a teeny bit subjective. Tier list scrappies or joke characters can fall into that without having an annoying voice per se, for example.

"HAA!"
"TAY!"
"TORYA!"
*BLIP* *BLIP* *BLIP*
"COME ON!"
"GGUUUAAHH!"
"WAUGH!"
"MIUH!"
"HAA!"
"EUAH!"
"TAY!"
"KSHU!"
*GAME!"
"MISHUUN CUMPLEET!"
i can hear this post and i hate it
If terry gets in this song better get in PLEASE
who owns the copyright to the cvs2 ost anyway? is it capcom or snk?

KatKit

Smash Lord
Because she's not the main protagonist of KoF or the mascot? What makes Athena more important than say, the rest of the KoF roster?
Athena Asamiya doesn't have to be the face of KoF (that goes to Kyo) she's a company mascot with two of her own games who's also a descendant of another SNK character with their own game. They also made her a virtual youtuber. She just also happens to be a KoF mainstay. That's like asking why Ryo (Art of Fighting) is more important than, say... Mature. It helps that Athena Asamiya had the "idol" archetype before it was cool, and that she had the first lyrical theme in videogames.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie but... for some reason, characters speaking in engrish just sounds... kinda cool.:2gud:

Terry: "CRACK SHOOT!" "POWAH GUYSER!!!" (might be botching these engrish lines :nifty:)

Oh and, Jon from GameXplain talked about debunking the Smash Bros. Ultimate debunk from yesterday.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So what's the most talked about snk characters from all this?

Is Samurai Showndown and King of Fighters seen as the most likely candidates?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

"HAA!"
"TAY!"
"TORYA!"
*BLIP* *BLIP* *BLIP*
"COME ON!"
"GGUUUAAHH!"
"WAUGH!"
"MIUH!"
"HAA!"
"EUAH!"
"TAY!"
"KSHU!"
*GAME!"
"MISHUUN CUMPLEET!"
I knew this was it's literally just hya noises and I still knew it was Melee Fox specifically. lol

It's interesting what phrases become so memorable. Sometimes it's just spamable stuff but other times it's phrases like "I've got all I need!" or literally all of Melee Fox's sound bytes.

So what's the most talked about snk characters from all this?

Is Samurai Showndown and King of Fighters seen as the most likely candidates?
It seems like the conversation has boiled down to:
  • Terry has to be in because he's the face of SNK.
  • Kyo has to be in because he's the face of King of Fighters.
  • Mai has to be in because she's the most popular.
  • Nakoruru has to be in because she'd actually be interesting.

D

Deleted member

Milk Bosatsu also said the female character is not Reimu from Touhou, right? Why do you think he would specifically mention Reimu and not other female characters? Look at Reimu's design below and compare it to Nakoruru:

https://i.imgtc.ws/mN2TCxX.png

Get what I'm trying to say? You'd be forgiven if you mistake them for the same person. The fact they are both shrine maidens also means something.
Well, the leaker is Japanese, and Touhou, particularly Reimu, are stupid popular here. Everyone knows what the character looks like to know if it’s not her. Likewise, they know Reimu doesn’t have a boomerang or a weapon that’s comparable to one.

D

Deleted member

Oh and, Jon from GameXplain talked about debunking the Smash Bros. Ultimate debunk from yesterday.

undefined
1 minor detail Jon didn't bring up when talking about the 4.19 mb part is that there are other games that also happen to have DLC with the same download size.

MK11: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Shang-Tsung-1564912.html

Rocket League: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Rocket-League-Masamune-1365614.html

Dragon Ball FighterZ: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/DRAGON-BALL-FIGHTERZ-Goku-1449454.html

These 2 random games I found: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Whiteboards-17-more-whiteboards--1541487.html https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Giant-Puzzles-12-1565031.html

I don't really know why NoE lists certain DLC download sizes to 4.19 MB, but it sure doesn't hold a lot of weight as proof the SNK leak is invalid.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Meanwhile I’m sitting here hoping we get Terry because I think he’d be the most fun of the lot.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I knew this was it's literally just hya noises and I still knew it was Melee Fox specifically. lol

It's interesting what phrases become so memorable. Sometimes it's just spamable stuff but other times it's phrases like "I've got all I need!" or literally all of Melee Fox's sound bytes.

ok thanks.

And then there's Athena, which im not sure what the tweet people saw was about, but anyway all those options make sense.

I'm surprised Yuri hasn't been talked about much.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited by a moderator:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I mentioned Yuri way back before the leak started. Her, King, and Athena have been my main squad in every KoF game I've played (with Whip, Leona, and Elizabeth as secondaries when they're around). I doubt she'd make it in, but I'd wholeheartedly welcome it if she did somehow.

If terry gets in this song better get in PLEASE
Best song in the game!

Unlike my favorite MvC2 song (River Stage), this probably actually has a shot, too. I miss that whole jazzy phase fighting games had in the early 2000's; it was super classy yet oddly fitting.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'll just think nothing of it for now but we now know who it is because totally not sabi dropped this https://twitter.com/NanaKarobiNIN/status/1168629751180910592?s=09
And for those who don't know this account is related to sabi
If this is so, I hope that they still go the character trio route and pull a Terry, Andy, Joe Fatal Fury team to not only rep SNK, but both Fatal Fury and King of Fighters. :2gud: I've seen the argument of "but three characters in one is too much work", "it wouldn't be wise in an economic sense to sell three characters for the price of one" but, please, PLEASE, I only wish to dream!!! *ahem* Ok, I'm ok. :bowsette:

D

Deleted member

If SNK had a GREAT impact than how come I NEVER heard of them until today. I follow gaming very closely. I can make a video of me going around interviewing not just average joes but people that play video games and I guarantee 90% of the people don't know any of those characters.

They know Crash Bandicoot, Doom Guy, Sora, Rayman, Jill Valentine, etc. It is too much I guess to ask for known characters. Nothing SNK can produce touches some of the characters that I listed impact on gaming.

Obviously, I should have expected a let down on the DLC pack.
Because obviously you’re not following gaming closely enough. The NeoGeo was a one of a kind console, able to do 1:1 arcade ports before anyone else could and was supported for 14(?) years, longer than any other console. SNK always had an eye for artistry, having some of the most beautiful and detailed pixel art ever, and their titles were all smash hits from Metal Slug, to Fatal Fury, to KoF, to Sam Sho, to Last Blade, list goes on and on and on. Their fighting games specifically being regarded as some of the most quality ones in the genre.

SNK was also particularly big in the arcade scene as well. They innovated heavily to make their arcade units more affordable to business owners, which helped their brand proliferate.

Unfortunately, two things were the downfall of SNK. Their inability to properly transition to 3D. And the fall of arcades in the west. I can understand why most people born after the 90s wouldn’t be familiar with SNK. It’s a similar to story to Rareware or Westwood. Industry titans during the golden era who fell into irrelevance after the 00s. They characters and brands are still beloved to this day the world around though.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well...I’ve pretty much given up on this Fighter’s Pass containing anything that will really excite me. Certainly lost some of its value for me personally, as its probably going to end up being $20 worth of underwhelming choices and $5 worth of a choice I fully understand/could get behind/enjoy (Banjo, the one thing the majority of the community can agree on).

Happy for the fans of the characters I suppose, though disappointed overall with the picks.

I guess I can’t be too mad though, considering the base game is already a feat in and of itself. Though with nothing truly exciting for me in the DLC, it feels as if Ultimate is going to end on a relatively weak note (again, personal opinion).

Finally, leakers just freaking suck. There’s no avoiding leaks once they get out nowadays, and it kills any and all hype/excitement/interest I could have in a character whom I’m unfamiliar with. I had hardly any interest in Hero once he was leaked (though considering the archetype he fits I may not have been too excited in the first place), and the same applies to whomever this SNK character ends up being.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a fair amount of the community feels the same on a few of these takes too. Or maybe it’s just personal feelings. But I guess you can’t blame someone for being unable to get hyped about something they don’t know/don’t care for.

Again, keep in mind this is all personal opinions (and unpopular ones at that). So don’t feel like I’m attacking anyone. Just putting my feelings into the mix.

Hopefully I’m wrong though and we get something I, along with the majority of the community, can find interest in for Fighter 5.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Unlike my favorite MvC2 song (River Stage), this probably actually has a shot, too. I miss that whole jazzy phase fighting games had in the early 2000's; it was super classy yet oddly fitting.
Capcom were different people back then I don't know what happened to them but I want those guys back

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Oh boy.

This is interesting. So this 5th character is something that the community may be in for a surprise?

EDIT: A new post from Sabi:

"There's a certain person who is gonna back a character + fighter 4, who people trust quite a bit. And there's a 4chan leak that said fighter 4 + this same other character are the last two. I can already see the community going immediately to that 4chan post lol"

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1168635069474279424

Are there any 4chan posts which listed an SNK character?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With the way things are sounding from what I've heard from a lot of people now, Smash speculation is gonna get REALLY wild after this next reveal, lol. This character is gonna lead to people assuming a certain other one is #5. Can't wait to see the community implode— Sabi (@New_WabiSabi) September 2, 2019
Goddammit Sabi's really breaking my soul with this cause it's making me think she's referring to Hayabusa and Doom Slayer.

This is going to be 1 of the most insane weeks for Smash speculation. I might just stay up way too long thinking about who the 4th fighter could be.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I hope that other is ryu but an insane end could be either Sora or the one and Only geno but honestly I don't see them making us pay for geno I see him being free

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Imagine hearing the first few notes to this during a Smash reveal at the Game Awards...

Untouch

Smash Master
Unless there's something in the reveal trailer, I can't think of anything Terry would point towards.
There was that ""leak"" that said Terry/Ryu but it is very unlikely to be real. (Even if they get the trailer right, the people who would have leaked the trailer are not the people who would know how much music is in the game.)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh boy.

From the replies it seems there's already a 4chan leak that talks about Fighter 4 + 5. If Terry is the character then I can assume she's referring to that one leak that talked about Ryu Hayabusa and Terry.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I hope that other is ryu but an insane end could be either Sora or the one and Only geno but honestly I don't see them making us pay for geno I see him being free
It seems unlikely that a third party DLC character would be free - even with Mewtwo and Piranha Plant, they were bonuses for buying the game. (two games, in Mewtwo's case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom