• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that "already appeared" part meant "company already on board" given the context.
That comment is vague. It most likely either refers to a character who appears in Ultimate in a non-playable role or a character from a 3rd party company that is already represented in the game.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So I keep hearing Mai Shiranui being mentioned as a possibility. Is therea an alternate costume I don't know about? because Mai would definitely push the limits of Smash in terms of sexual content.
In Real Bout Fatal Fury, her outfit was slightly more covered up that I think it could maybe work. I talk more about it here under the part about Mai possibly being too sexual.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So does that mean the next character will be from Capcom, Bandai-Namco, or Konami? Or does that include SEGA, Square-Enix, Microsoft, and to some extent Koei-Tecmo, Yacht Club, WayForward and other companies with non-fighter content in Smash? Some of them are bigger stretches than others, so...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Apparently SNK games are SERIOUSLY popular in South America. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes. I’ve lived in 3 of them, and can confirm KoF is huge in at least 2 of them, and that’s just because I didn’t accidentally bump into a huge KoF scene in argentina, but there might as well be one because console gaming was the least popular gaming medium.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My bet on the SNK character is it being Terry. He's the face of the company and one of the few characters to be in every KoF game. If it's not him, it'll probably be Kyo or Nakoruru.

As for personal wants, I'm open to anyone though I'm mainly hoping it's any of the three I mentioned. I've often flip-flopped between wanting Terry or Kyo more, but after thinking about it I think I want Kyo the most. I like his rekka playstyle more and KoF has an amazing soundtrack.

Also Esaka 96 has potential to be one of the coolest looking Smash stages.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Duck Hunt = Banjo-Kazooie = Nakoruru.

There's too many bird-wielders in Smash. This game sucks.

We need a stage in Smash where civilians cheer me on as I curbstomp PK Fire spammers

cothero

Smash Lord
My bet on the SNK character is it being Terry. He's the face of the company and one of the few characters to be in every KoF game. If it's not him, it'll probably be Kyo or Nakoruru.

As for personal wants, I'm open to anyone though I'm mainly hoping it's any of the three I mentioned. I've often flip-flopped between wanting Terry or Kyo more, but after thinking about it I think I want Kyo the most. I like his rekka playstyle more and KoF has an amazing soundtrack.

Also Esaka 96 has potential to be one of the coolest looking Smash stages.

I can easily imagine a moveset for Terry in my head: Rising Tackle as Up B, Crack Shoot or Burning Knuckle as Side B, Power Wave as neutral, Power Geyser as Down B and Buster Wolf for Final Smash. He would throw his hat for the victory animation, of course. There's a lot of potential here.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
That comment is vague. It most likely either refers to a character who appears in Ultimate in a non-playable role or a character from a 3rd party company that is already represented in the game.

https://i.imgur.com/s7ZgjJK.png

Joker : Protagonist of Persona 5 (Atlus : 未出)
Hero : Protagonist of Dragon Quest (Square Enix : 既出)
Banjo Kazooie : Protagonist of Adventure of Banjo & Kazooie (Rare : 既出)
??? : Protagonist of ??? (??? : 未出?)
??? : Protagonist of ??? (??? : 既出?)

Do you see the pattern here?
The parts inside brackets aren't stating about characters.
I don't understand why the translation in the image omitted the Rare part.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Huh, turns out Nakoruru is the one with the evil alter ego in Samurai Showdown, rather than the main protagonist Haohnaru.

Guess that shows how popular she is.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I think the idea of a Pokémon Trainer situation is extremely unlikely for a DLC wave. That would mean three separate movesets, essentially three entirely different characters, being sold for the same price as one single character... which seems like both a poor business move and a LOT of effort for the Smash team.

Also the more I read about Nakoruru the more I hope she’s our SNK rep so now I’m ready to be disappointed when she inevitably doesn’t make it

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Is there a way to do polls in here? I'm interested to see which SNK character you guys want.

For me, give me Nakoruru. The only interesting aspect to Terry is that he could have a female alt. Other than that, he's gonna be a Ken echo.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Is there a way to do polls in here? I'm interested to see which SNK character you guys want.

For me, give me Nakoruru. The only interesting aspect to Terry is that he could have a female alt. Other than that, he's gonna be a Ken echo.
I really think Terry would be terribly boring, but calling him a Ken echo is selling him short

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

So... an echo of an echo? :thinking:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I just put one up. I think I included all of the front-runners, or at least the characters that get brought up often. Not sure if I should make it so people can vote for more than one, but I left it as a single vote for now.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

My thoughts exactly
I would only be hyped by Nakoruru or Kyo

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nakoruru is leading so far. All according to plan.

BIRD UP

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Had to vote Marco since Metal Slug is the only one I actually have an attachment to, but Nakoruru is a close second despite knowing nothing about her because she looks like she would make an interesting fighter in smash.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm not going to lie: Leona vs Cpt Falcon would be epic. For those of you who don't know, Leona has moves that reference Kamen Rider, JJBA, Voltes V, Kinnikuman (Ultimate Muscle), Himitsu Sentai Goranger (Power Rangers, basically). She has that same over-the-top/flashy poses/Saturday morning hero/calling out attacks/random (delayed) explosions in the shape of a symbol fighting style that he does. It's a pipe dream, but it would be nice.

Another pipe dream of mine is Whip (yes, that's her name). Her fighting style is self explanatory, but she's a prime example of the weapon in action, and she's always been fun.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’d be most excited about Haohamaru or Nakoruru.

I admit I’ve played a lot of KOF over the years, and only the 1st Samurai Showdown.
And personally, I find the SamSho characters more visually appealing. The downside is that they might not get a super unique mechanic. I don’t know about the rest of the series, but if I were to base it on the first, we’d essentially get another rage-mechanic character.

Sort of a Lucario Aura that builds up through a KO meter of sorts.

But tbh, after getting my most wanted, I like all additions. Particularly 3rd party ones.

I wouldn’t mind more 1st party additions, but outside like 3 really improbable ones, I don’t see me getting one I feel excited for.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
or he's american. snk stuff just didn't take off in the states like it did in other places.

tell nintendo that then. they seem to be intent on keeping smash e10+
I am American. I live in Tennessee. I have heard of Virtual Fighter, Mortal Kombat (that was by far the most popular fighting game in my area until Smash came along), Street Fighter, Tekken, and Killer Instinct but never Fighter King.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m not attached to any of these characters, but some of them seem cool (haven’t seen all of them).

I voted Marco, though, for three reasons:

-Metal Slug has some nice spritework
-This might be the first SNK franchise I’ve seen anything from without knowing what it actually was aside from name; its explosion effect had two textures in the customizable Painterly Pack for Minecraft (one of the textures was the same as the other but with brighter/more saturated coloring) and they looked nice
-An obviously fake leak says Marco and Frisk, though Frisk was supposed to be Fighter #4 so yeah it’s fake but I gotta have a chance because I’m biased

I feel Terry is the one getting in, though.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
More like the Chun Li. And the one SNK consider's the series'(and sometimes, the company's) mascot.

God knows I don't. I thought removing all the transformation movesets from the game in Smash 4 was a fantastic move and was actually pretty pissed when Trainer brought it back in Ultimate. So I damn sure don't want to see another character doing the same thing.

I think the one think Kyo has going for him is that he dresses like a Japanese high school student. Which is an archetype that is surprisingly not present yet in Smash.
Doesn't Joker already dress like a high schooler in two of his alts

So I keep hearing Mai Shiranui being mentioned as a possibility. Is therea an alternate costume I don't know about? because Mai would definitely push the limits of Smash in terms of sexual content.

That said, I also think it's gonna be Nakoruru. Sure it's the third bird user, but it's whatever. I like that a lot better than Ryu Hayabusa.
Yeah, the whole Mai and sexual content thing took up a few pages a couple months or so ago

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
Bayo pushed violence and sexyness, she was cooled down and still is her. Also worked on Snake's thicc ***. Mai can work too.
Idk what can and cannot work, but I think Mai is in a totally different league than Bayo.

SKX31

Smash Master
Short answer: it was more accessible and cheaper to play.

Also, here's a detailed post of why China likes it so much:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/6dh0gb/some_insight_as_to_why_china_loves_kof/

It helps that SNK made really good fighting games in general. Its popularity is well deserved.
To add to that:

One piece of evidence Sari Sari mentioned in his huge SNK writeup was KoF 97 Douyu Cup, held in 2014 (500 000 viewers peak. biggest FGC event in terms of viewership). I would like to focus on that detail, since I am also familiar with Douyu (the streaming service).

Now then, the important factor is that the Douyu Cup's numbers start to approach that of the BIG League of Legends and Dota 2 events. That's saying a lot, because LoL and Dota 2 are massive in China. Sure, LoL's way bigger by far - especially by the time Worlds rolls around. But Dota 2's The International (their World Championship) still comfortably pulls in millions of viewers on Douyu, Huya - one of its competitors - and other Chinese streaming platforms.

Now, the big finalés are another story. The International 2018's Grand Finals between LGD (Chinese) and OG (European) drew around 13 million Chinese watchers (scroll down to Statistics incl. Chinese platforms). Despite taking place in Vancouver, a bad time slot for Chinese people. And although the Chinese viewer data hasn't been released yet for The International 2019, and no Chinese team featured in the 2019 Grand Final (LGD finished 3rd instead of 2nd, and OG faced off against Team Liquid's European squad), The International 2019 took place in Shanghai, which should mean a further increase in viewer count.

The 2018 League of Legends World Championship Final on the other hand has an even crazier claim. Sure, it took place in Seoul, a pretty Chinese-friendly timeslot as opposed to Vancouver: but the contest between iG (Chinese) and Fnatic (European) apparently drew 200 million Chinese viewers. At least 110 million viewers on the same streaming platform. What the frick. Even if we decide these numbers are frauds and slash all of them by a certain percentage, it will still be major league numbers.

Still - the fact that KoF even approaches the big MOBA numbers is a really, really good sign. I'm pretty convinced that if a SNK fighter is indeed revealed for Smash, there will be a major league hype train in China.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Can everyone stop talking about whether or not SNK is or was popular? The fact is if you don't know them, you simply don't know much about fighting games. It's not really debatable.

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of the whole High school outfit thing, is there a reason Athena Asamiya isn't being considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom