• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Which rumor in particular? What does it entail?
Supposedly, an SMRPG remake is in the works, and is meant to coincide with Geno. Problem is, the only place I've heard THAT one be mentioned is, well, the Geno thread. Apparently leakers have mentioned it, but wouldn't people be talking about it more if that were the case? Not even GameXplain has mentioned, and at least one of their members (Andre) is a HUGE Geno supporter.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Supposedly, an SMRPG remake is in the works, and is meant to coincide with Geno. Problem is, the only place I've heard THAT one be mentioned is, well, the Geno thread. Apparently leakers have mentioned it, but wouldn't people be talking about it more if that were the case? Not even GameXplain has mentioned, and at least one of their members (Andre) is a HUGE Geno supporter.
Yeah, I've heard it tossed around a bit there, but I don't know exactly where it cropped up. I'm kinda hesitant on that one. Doesn't help that I'm pretty hesitant on leaks in general.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Apprantly The SMRPG remake really got brought into the Public eye when Rogersbase mentioned it, but it be around in inside circles like the ones Fatman is apart of for awhile though, and some people from the Geno thread knew about it

But Any of the really credible insiders haven't really put their thoughts on it. the closet was a friend of Emily Rogers speaking on it, but that's just the friend and not emily herself

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
In retrospect, it's honestly a little strange that we haven't gotten a tournament based around fighters with long reaches yet. You would figure that we would've got one with Byleth or especially Min Min. Maybe we're getting another distance demon in Smash? But I can't see them going past Min Min's range. Maybe it's a fighter with relatively long-range on their normals for their archetype or body type?
The only living thing that can outrange Min Min.
spiele1_freistell1.bdb_PR.jpg

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isaac thread: "THERE'S A NEW GOLDEN SUN COMING!"

Geno thread: " THERE'S A SMRPG REMAKE COMING!"

Is this just gonna be the excuse for every irrelevant character now?
This is what happens when you try to deconfirm characters for not having their last game come out in 2019.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Apprantly The SMRPG remake really got brought into the Public eye when Rogersbase mentioned it, but it be around in inside circles like the ones Fatman is apart of for awhile though, and some people from the Geno thread knew about it

But Any of the really credible insiders haven't really put their thoughts on it. the closet was a friend of Emily Rogers speaking on it, but that's just the friend and not emily herself
Personally I think the SMRPG remake is either leakbait or it's instead SMRPG coming on Nintendo Switch Online. Nintendo hasn't been using the Mario RPG series' full potential for a while now other than just ports of two of the Mario & Luigi games and some contested sequels for Paper Mario. Why would they do a Super Mario RPG remake? They clearly care little about those games.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Personally I think the SMRPG remake is either leakbait or it's instead SMRPG coming on Nintendo Switch Online. Nintendo hasn't been using the Mario RPG series' full potential for a while now other than just ports of two of the Mario & Luigi games and some contested sequels for Paper Mario. Why would they do a Super Mario RPG remake? They clearly care little about those games.
If it was leakbait, it'd be made to weed out actual leakers. I'd imagine we'd be hearing about it from more people if that were the case, but I can't judge until I hear about where it came from.

If it were just a port, it'd still be using the old trademark. At most, it'd add a little footnote to the original, like with the Shadow Dragon re-release.

...Wait, this post wasn't about trademarks.

Fricc

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It kind of shows Square Enix's odd sense of porting sensibilities when a Saga Frontier remake will likely be on Smash before any versions of the first six Final Fantasy games will be.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Hey so, Square Enix just dropped a surprise announcement on us:
Obviously this means that our new Square rep could be from SaGa. :yeahboi:

It kind of shows Square Enix's odd sense of porting sensibilities when a Saga Frontier remake will likely be on Smash before any versions of the first six Final Fantasy games will be.
If some of the Steam patches are indicative of anything, they may be thinking about it. I know FF IV and V have gotten patches dealing with fonts and menus years after their initial release on Steam. I believe that happened late last year. The unfortunate part (if it actually means anything for a Switch port) is that we'd be getting ports of ports of the phone versions.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So there's something I was wondering

When Plant Released back in February of 2019, we found Slots for 16 Characters right, with Plant taking up one.

With 15 slots, Theoretically that could have added up to 3 Fighter Passes, with a 5/5/5 Split between each

FP1: 5 Characters

FP2: 5 Characters

FP3: 5 Characters

Plus the CSS Limit at the moment is 90 characters, which is what we would have if all the slots were filled

Is there a possibility that a FP3 was also in the talks at the same Time FP2 was, but then it was decided FP2 would be the ending of Ultimate

Does this also add credence to Whoever Challenger Pack 11 is being a Extra, Special Character of some sorts?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If some of the Steam patches are indicative of anything, they may be thinking about it. I know FF IV and V have gotten patches dealing with fonts and menus years after their initial release on Steam. I believe that happened late last year. The unfortunate part (if it actually means anything for a Switch port) is that we'd be getting ports of ports of the phone versions.
Any further and we'd be having port-ception.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Final Fantasy mobile ports feel like they exist as the spiritual antithesis of the Sonic mobile ports. Everyone's been begging Sega to bring the latter to PC/Console while most fans desperately want the former to stay on phones and tablets and get the originals instead.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I vaguely recall hearing something about how due to how successful the Trials of mana remake was, it encouraged SE to bring back more of their classic stuff. So SaGa Frontier returning could be a result of that.

Could this mean the same thing for SMRPG? I dunno, I'm guessing SMRPG would be more complicated due to having to have Nintendo's approval as well, whereas the Mana series and SaGa I'm guessing are completely Square?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if SE wants to bring more classic franchises back, I wanna see Parasite Eve (with a new game that retcons the hell out of 3rd Birthday) and Star Ocean (I’m still sad about the English version of Anamnesis shutting down)

oh and a port of Chrono Cross, just do what you did with FFIX idc

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So there's something I was wondering

When Plant Released back in February of 2019, we found Slots for 16 Characters right, with Plant taking up one.

With 15 slots, Theoretically that could have added up to 3 Fighter Passes, with a 5/5/5 Split between each

FP1: 5 Characters

FP2: 5 Characters

FP3: 5 Characters

Plus the CSS Limit at the moment is 90 characters, which is what we would have if all the slots were filled

Is there a possibility that a FP3 was also in the talks at the same Time FP2 was, but then it was decided FP2 would be the ending of Ultimate

Does this also add credence to Whoever Challenger Pack 11 is being a Extra, Special Character of some sorts?
I don't think that CP11 is anything special, especially considering that Smash usually tends to end on disappointing notes.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Hey so, Square Enix just dropped a surprise announcement on us:
Looking forward to a new generation of people being utterly confused by Blue's ending.

Also Xenogears when. Concerts and figures are cool Square but I actually want to play the game legally.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Maybe Nintendo could have hired Square to do SMRPG Remake, or maybe they just licensed the characters out to them.

I Don't think it be that hard.

I don't think that CP11 is anything special, especially considering that Smash usually tends to end on disappointing notes.
I don't think FP11 would be the most hype character (well for the Majority), but that it be Special in that this character is different from the other 5 characters in more ways than one

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, I don't think there's going to be a character that will top Steve. I think he's the hypest we'll get in this Pass.

Especially since I don't see Sora happening. I still suspect we'll get one more big reveal but I don't think it's gonna top Steve. Not even close.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It was already weird that we have almost all of the "classic Playstation" FF games originally released on Playstation and Playstation 2 (VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII) on the Switch but none of the ones originally released on Famicom/Super Famicom.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, I don't think there's going to be a character that will top Steve. I think he's the hypest we'll get in this Pass.

Especially since I don't see Sora happening. I still suspect we'll get one more big reveal but I don't think it's gonna top Steve. Not even close.
Yeah that's typically what happens when we get the literal best selling game of all time in the game. Still wild that it made twitter crash for the first time since Micheal Jackson doed iirc

I.D.

Smash Lord
Well I'm glad for one. It's about time some of these smaller PS1 Square games finally get some spotlight instead re-releasing FFIV for the millionth time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Heck, I don't even think Crash and Geno will be happening to be honest. Crash especially feeling people have been oversaturated his chances (Especially since this high demand only increased upon the reveal of the N. Sane Trilogy which was only three years ago, by that time the game was in development and he can't be compared since ones like Banjo, K. Rool and Ridley had been requested for nearly two decades (In K. Rool's cases a decade at most). Crash I think will, unfortunately, have to wait until Smash 6 to make his appearance.

Geno I think will return but as a premium Mii costume given the trend of returning SSB4 Mii costumes with Lloyd likely being next.

The biggest-tier character I could see at most is someone like Dante but that's it, who while I feel his chances have been overblown definitely has a better chance than those two.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Heck, I don't even think Crash and Geno will be happening to be honest. Crash especially feeling people have been oversaturated his chances (Especially since this high demand only increased upon the reveal of the N. Sane Trilogy which was only three years ago, by that time the game was in development and he can't be compared since ones like Banjo, K. Rool and Ridley had been requested for nearly two decades (In K. Rool's cases a decade at most). Crash I think will, unfortunately, have to wait until Smash 6 to make his appearance.

Geno I think will return but as a premium Mii costume given the trend of returning SSB4 Mii costumes with Lloyd likely being next.

The biggest-tier character I could see at most is someone like Dante but that's it, who while I feel his chances have been overblown definitely has a better chance than those two.
Yeah. Some characters definitely had their chances overblown.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I still think we’ll be getting another “big” character. Nintendo’s brought someone big to each E3 that Ultimate’s been apart of (Steve probably being planned for the cancelled E3 2020). They planned for this Pass to go across two E3s, so I imagine they’d have have two characters of that caliber.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still think we’ll be getting another “big” character. Nintendo’s brought someone big to each E3 that Ultimate’s been apart of (Steve probably being planned for the cancelled E3 2020). They planned for this Pass to go across two E3s, so I imagine they’d have have two characters of that caliber.
Only it'll more likely be around the levels of say like Dante or such.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't really think that they need one.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Assuming we're going with three months apart and Min Min and Steve being revealed at E3 2020, I think we might only get one reveal next year, if at all. Everything before CP11 would've been revealed already.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don't really think that they need one.
Maybe. But they clearly like doing it.

E3 2018 - The return of Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy & Street Fighter (among others, but those were the biggest question marks on returning)

E3 2019 - Dragon Quest

E3 2020 - Minecraft

If you want to go back to Smash 4 then:

E3 2013 - Mega Man
E3 2014 - Pac-Man
E3 2015 - Street Fighter

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that it’s likely we get someone else on that scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom