• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I might even argue Steve might be our only big reveal. Pretty much the Banjo of Pass 2. The rest of the characters on the previous pass matched nowhere as Banjo did with Hero perhaps being the closest.

The rest of the fighters in this case probably being 1st party (Rex), surprise reveals (2B, Neku or Lara Croft), and average/mid (Ryu Hayabusa).

If Dante does get in, I feel he'd be more of a Hero-tier reveal.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Maybe. But they clearly like doing it.

E3 2018 - The return of Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy & Street Fighter (among others, but those were the biggest question marks on returning)

E3 2019 - Dragon Quest

E3 2020 - Minecraft

If you want to go back to Smash 4 then:

E3 2013 - Mega Man
E3 2014 - Pac-Man
E3 2015 - Street Fighter

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that it’s likely we get someone else on that scale.
I feel like Ridley and Banjo should count, too. Also, not just big series, but everyone coming back (Though Snake did coincide with it)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

E3 2018 - The return of Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy & Street Fighter (among others, but those were the biggest question marks on returning)

E3 2019 - Dragon Quest

E3 2020 - Minecraft

E3 2013 - Mega Man
E3 2014 - Pac-Man
E3 2015 - Street Fighter

So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that it’s likely we get someone else on that scale.
Pac Man was revealed behind closed doors, with Palutena being the big reveal.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I might even argue Steve might be our only big reveal. Pretty much the Banjo of Pass 2. The rest of the characters on the previous pass matched nowhere as Banjo did with Hero perhaps being the closest.

The rest of the fighters in this case probably being 1st party (Rex), surprise reveals (2B, Neku or Lara Croft), and average/mid (Ryu Hayabusa).

If Dante does get in, I feel he'd be more of a Hero-tier reveal.
I dunno about you, but a Japanese cultural icon and codifier of the turn-based RPGs and JRPGs as a whole seems pretty big to me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I dunno about you, but a Japanese cultural icon and codifier of the turn-based RPGs and JRPGs as a whole seems pretty big to me.
Fair enough, still the comparison between Hero and Dante works as one popularized JRPGs and RPGs and the other Hack n' Slash games. Plus being Steve is a western IP like Banjo was, Dante would be for example the Japanese IP having been made by Capcom, a Japanese gaming company.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think there's going to be a character that will top Steve. I think he's the hypest we'll get in this Pass.

Especially since I don't see Sora happening. I still suspect we'll get one more big reveal but I don't think it's gonna top Steve. Not even close.
Hype is all relative man, Steve was a complete snore to some, I personally would find Geno who is considered a "Big" pick a complete snooze-fest, But so many people find a bunch of different characters Hype that you cannot quantify it.

I know what you meant with Crash, Geno, Sora etc. being the "hypest" but not everyone wants those

I might even argue Steve might be our only big reveal. Pretty much the Banjo of Pass 2. The rest of the characters on the previous pass matched nowhere as Banjo did.

Again that is all relative, Some people have Rex as their most wanted so that would be the hypest to them

The pass would not suddenly be disappointing because Sora didn't make it in.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fair enough, still the comparison between Hero and Dante works as one popularized JRPGs and RPGs and the other Hack n' Slash games. Plus being Steve is a western IP like Banjo was, Dante would be for Japanese being of Japanese gaming origin.
It's not to the same level, though. Devil May Cry is fairly popular. Dragon Quest is so popular the government had to make sure it released on weekends so everybody didn't take the day off.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Think League could work as another Big Character, but unlike Hero or Steve Nintendo audience isn't that familiar with League yet. but League is big Franchise in Gaming circles and casual circles as well

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel like Ridley and Banjo should count, too. Also, not just big series, but everyone coming back (Though Snake did coincide with it)
I was mainly talking about “big” new series coming to Smash. Though, I also think it’s possible that we get someone’s who’s big for the Smash community like those two as well. It could be a character that fits both categories like Crash or someone who only appeals to Smash fans like Geno/Isaac.

Pac Man was revealed behind closed doors, with Palutena being the big reveal.
Pac-Man was still apart of the E3 news cycle though. 🤷

Right now I think we’ll be getting:

• One more character from a big franchise
  • A Nintendo character
  • A mid or small Japanese third party
  • Either another Nintendo character or another mid/small Japanese third party

Not in that order though. I think it’s easier to guess character types/roles instead of specific characters.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I Think League could work as another Big Character, but unlike Hero or Steve Nintendo audience isn't that familiar with League yet. but League is big Franchise in Gaming circles and casual circles as well
The problem with League is picking a character, considering how many the series has.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah, maybe the Dante-Hero comparison wasn't that good...Still my point was at most if we do get another big reveal character it'll be someone around Dante's level.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, I think League has a decent shot at being the next big series to join. I’d be surprised if it’s not one of: League of Legends, Crash, Halo, Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter & maybe a surprise Resident Evil or Assassin’s Creed. I can’t really think of anything else on that level that would fit Smash.

Also, I really hate how on mobile hitting the “return” button when typing can sometimes delete the last sentence you wrote. So annoying.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The problem with League is picking a character, considering how many the series has.
They’d probably pick from the most popular champions. Those include: Miss Fortune, Ahri, Yasuo (these three are also in the spinoff Ruined King), Jinx, Teemo, Ezreal, Ashe, Akali, Caitlyn and Thresh

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I was mainly talking about “big” new series coming to Smash. Though, I also think it’s possible that we get someone’s who’s big for the Smash community like those two as well. It could be a character that fits both categories like Crash or someone who only appeals to Smash fans like Geno/Isaac.

Pac-Man was still apart of the E3 news cycle though. 🤷

Right now I think we’ll be getting:

• One more character from a big franchise
  • A Nintendo character
  • A mid or small Japanese third party
  • Either another Nintendo character or another mid/small Japanese third party

Not in that order though. I think it’s easier to guess character types/roles instead of specific characters.
We wasn't promoted much there, with the Mii Fighters and Palutena getting much more screentime as E3 2014 primarily focused on custom moves.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well that's the fun part, now is it. Though Honestly It probably be Ahri though. yes

Personally I think the bigger issue is that League really hasn't set an audience with Nintendo yet. All the 3rd parties so far (Including Persona with Shin Megami Tensi, and Final Fantasy) have had games to attract Nintendo audiences before they got in. Nintendo would not have any Data on how League does with Nintendo audiences if they add them to Smash now.

There are League games coming in 2021 to Switch, but League would have been selected for FP2 before the games hit the Switch

Now League has a Large audience overall, and is a Very Known franchise to Gamers and Casuals and stuff like that, so It could probably be able to get away with it. It also has the Upsides of Potentially getting very new audiences not just to Smash, but Nintendo in General, but it's still something to consider, and a potential Blockage in it's way.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice

E3 2019 - Dragon Quest

E3 2020 - Minecraft

E3 2013 - Mega Man
E3 2014 - Pac-Man
E3 2015 - Street Fighter

I have my bets on kingdom hearts

7NATOR

Smash Master
How Iconic and Known is Dante anyway?

Is he around Mega Man's Level (especially since DMC Outsold Megaman's Best Selling games, Multiple times)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think everything was meant to be the big thing at E3 2018-all veterans returning, Ridley being playable, new gameplay changes.

7NATOR

Smash Master
DMC's the fifth-highest selling Capcom series, at 22 million copies sold. Mega Man is the fourth, at 36 million.
I see. To be fair, Mega Man has alot more Games than DMC though.

But I think in the end Mega Man might be more Iconic though. He's in other Media more besides Video games more often than DMC, So you see him more often. I also think his design just resonates more than Dante's from the surface. I think DMC though could get much bigger in the years to come, especially with DMC5 being so good and the New Netflix Series that's supposed to come out soon or something.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think some people are overestimating exactly how well-known Dante is. For some reason, a lot of the Smash fanbase seems to consider him a massive icon, when he's really not (unless you're talking solely about Capcom's cast or characters on the PS2). Devil May Cry has sold about 20 million copies, which is a lot, but is pretty far from the degree of sales necessary to be recognizable to the mainstream like :ultsnake:, :ultsonic:, :ultryu:, or :ultcloud:. Likewise, unlike series like Mega Man or Castlevania, Devil May Cry has struggled to be adapted to other mediums like animation or film, with most either fizzling out rather quickly (such as the 2007 anime or Dreamwave's 2004 comic series) or remaining exclusively in Japan (like the two plays based on the series). I'd say Dante's bigger than the likes of :ultbayonetta:, :ultrichter: , :ultjoker:, :ultbanjokazooie:, and maybe :ult_terry:, but he's eclipsed pretty hard by just about every other third party on the roster.

So, while there would be a lot of this if Dante was announced...

... There would also be a lot of this:

How Iconic and Known is Dante anyway?

Is he around Mega Man's Level (especially since DMC Outsold Megaman's Best Selling games, Multiple times)
He's a character who I'd expect people to know if they were in any way familiar with the genre or with Capcom's library. I wouldn't expect people to know who he is if they haven't touched the genre and aren't very familiar with Capcom's library at all. I really wouldn't expect someone to know who he is if they don't play video games.

Basically, he's more well known than average, but there is a good chunk of people who wouldn't have a clue who he is. Without the existence of Smash, I probably would put him around the level of Samus, but it's hard to place exactly how well known Samus would be today if she didn't have crossovers to keep her in the public eye, so that's kind of theoretical.

Edit: I do think being a Capcom character helps him out a good deal, since people who know anything about Capcom tend to know a lot about Capcom.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
yall underestimating Soras and KHs popularity in the west and in Japan lol
People want to dismiss Sora immediately because Disney is involved, I think people overestimate how Stingy they are with licensing Kingdom Hearts. They clearly merchandise it and with little control because these exist...

While the only crossovers have only been with Square games, Theoretically Disney could Hire another developer to make the games, and they could crossover with non square games it just hasn't happened yet. If for some reason they can only make crossovers between KH and Square content, Smash has 2 square characters so it is already doing better than other franchises that KH could crossover with.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People want to dismiss Sora immediately because Disney is involved, I think people overestimate how Stingy they are with licensing Kingdom Hearts. They clearly merchandise it and with little control because these exist...

While the only crossovers have only been with Square games, Theoretically Disney could Hire another developer to make the games, and they could crossover with non square games it just hasn't happened yet. If for some reason they can only make crossovers between KH and Square content, Smash has 2 square characters so it is already doing better than other franchises that KH could crossover with.
To be fair I think a full Challenger's Pack worth of content would be a bit more complex to sort out than a single Sora figure (Of questionable quality, I must add).

7NATOR

Smash Master

I Believe if Disney was the Reason Sora couldn't be in Smash, it was because Disney might have wanted Mickey Mouse and Alot of Content in Smash, that might have been above Nintendo's DLC Budget paygrade

Or Perhaps Disney just wanted too much money

But I don't think Disney would say no to Smash. It just that what Disney wanted in Smash and What Nintendo want didn't match for FP2

I think they could try again for Smash 6 Definitely. Sora, Mickey Mouse, all the Disney content and all the Square content and OC's, that will get people to buy Smash 6. You can't get Disney in Ultimate. (this is of course assuming Sora not in FP2)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If just Sora Himself came along, that would be big for everyone I think

But if Sora came with Mickey Mouse and such, that would be biggest Deal in smash ever
Mickey mouse showed up in the arcives of old games in Brawl actually

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
If it weren't for Disney, Sora certainly would seem a lot more likely tbh.

They're too hard to deal with. That's why I don't see him happening.
you again underestimate how much Disney just lets people have the license to Kingdom Hearts to do whatever they please. Just recently there is Kingdom Hearts themed tissue box covers that just came out. Officialy on SEs shop too

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

that 2nd picture is the best thing I have ever seen

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Mickey mouse showed up in the arcives of old games in Brawl actually
1606597569656.png

I need context for this

This could actually be really big. If a Disney property has actually gotten into Smash in some form, then Sora might have a clearer path than I thought, even with Disney characters. Obviously, he's not a lock or the most likely character ever, but he wouldn't be as much of an unknown variable.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
View attachment 293033
I need context for this

This could actually be really big. If a Disney property has actually gotten into Smash in some form, then Sora might have a clearer path than I thought, even with Disney characters. Obviously, he's not a lock or the most likely character ever, but he wouldn't be as much of an unknown variable.
It was the Chronicle mode.

These Two Have Appeared In The Same Thing on Twitter: Did you know? Mickey  Mouse and Donald Duck are mentioned in Super Smash Bros Brawl in the  Chronicle section?…

There was also the Disney Tsum Tsum themed Switch. Clearly, the companies are no strangers to working together.

Disney Tsum Tsum Festival getting a limited edition Switch - SlashGear

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom