• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
At this point I got 4 of my top 5 of my all time most wanted in 4 and Ultimate :ultkrool::ultmewtwo::ultbanjokazooie::ultridley: so Crash is the only one I really wanted that I’m missing so at this point I’m good with just about anyone

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Name two characters that you'd like to see in Smash Ultimate that aren't a part of your "most wanteds". For me, I can name Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown and Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney.
For me, it's The Soldier from Team Fortress 2 and Ratchet & Clank.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Name two characters that you'd like to see in Smash Ultimate that aren't a part of your "most wanteds". For me, I can name Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown and Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney.
Crash and Geno. Both of which are my friends’ most wanted. If I can’t get my most wanted, it would at least be cool to see my friends get something out of it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can we stop calling Min Min a "promotional character?"
Sure if we're going to call a spade a shovel. AMRS was successful yes, but it was also a flash in the pan. Min Min was added to keep the series in people's minds as they work on it's next step. If Nintendo didn't have any interest in continuing the series, Min Min wouldn't be here.

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
If Arms was meant to be a one off like other smaller IPs from the last decade like codename steam or that armadillo Dillon guy, then I also dont believe Min Min would be playable. Arms 2 will hopefully release to better reception, whenever that is.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
2B and Ryu Hayabusa. I'd be happy to see them, but I'm not a hardcore supporter and I haven't played their games. It's more of a thing that I want to get into rather than something I'm already into.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Just face it, you know that everyone perception for 1st party character always boil down to ' promotional character ', even something like BWD and Rex is pretty unlikely to me cause if there's no new installment in the series starring them then no way they're going to get in other than that.

Especially for new IP.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Sure if we're going to call a spade a shovel. AMRS was successful yes, but it was also a flash in the pan. Min Min was added to keep the series in people's minds as they work on it's next step
Here's the difference:
When Swamp Sensei says Corrin/Byleth were promotional picks he can back it up with quotes from Sakurai himself where he states as much as the reasoning behind their inclusions.
When people do the same for Min Min they can back it up with nothing but assumptions that have changed wildly over time (remember when we were getting the main characters of ARMS 2?) and predicated on nothing more than "well it JUST makes sense to me". The truth is nobody here knows why Min Min got in other than minute details about Yabuki's involvement and nobody here knows what's ARMS next step either.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Here's the difference:
When Swamp Sensei says Corrin/Byleth were promotional picks he can back it up with quotes from Sakurai himself where he states as much as the reasoning behind their inclusions.
When people do the same for Min Min they can back it up with nothing but assumptions that have changed wildly over time (remember when we were getting the main characters of ARMS 2?) and predicated on nothing more than "well it JUST makes sense to me". The truth is nobody here knows why Min Min got in other than minute details about Yabuki's involvement and nobody here knows what's ARMS next step either.
LEGS, obviously

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not everything is black and white, you know.

Sure, Min Min may not be “promotional” in the sense that Byleth and Corrin clearly were. But Min Min, and the initial ARMS character announcement were paired with ARMS events to get it back in the public eye.

ARMS isn’t a “dead” game, but it’s also not entirely true that it’s been “wildly” successful since launch. The player base dropped off steeply after a few months and the focus was taken off of it. Min Min and ARMS are events that bring back a focus, however substantial, toward the IP.

It’s a gray area if you ask me. Not quite like Fire Emblem, but promotional in a different capacity.

It’s a thing, you know. Not everything is black and white.

Anyway, my interest in speculation has dropped off significantly since focusing on my backlog. Not to say that I’m not interested in the next character, but talking about it without a bit of new information is...tough.

EDIT: Also inferences are a thing. Even if you don’t have specific evidence, an informed inference can also make for a talking point. This is different from an inference that isn’t based on anything, obviously.

Source: I’m an English teacher and teach inferencing as “reading between the lines”. It’s a thing.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just face it, you know that everyone perception for 1st party character always boil down to ' promotional character ', even something like BWD and Rex is pretty unlikely to me cause if there's no new installment in the series starring them then no way they're going to get in other than that.

Especially for new IP.
"Waluigi was only added to promote Super Mario Bros' 35th anniversary, it's not like millions were dissatisfied with the AT or anything"

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
"Waluigi was only added to promote Super Mario Bros' 35th anniversary, it's not like millions were dissatisfied with the AT or anything"
"Don't forget about Geno even though everyone is for certain speculated him to come the same day as the Mario tournament"

It's just boil down to future event at this point when it comes to 1st party.

Like, what's the value that Nintendo gets to add a reoccurring character in an already big character representation? And unlike Byleth he at least come from a new installment in the series that stars him as the main character and not just one out of 10 playable character. Heck he even comes with a new cast of character. (I'm talking about Waluigi)

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
First parties, thus far, have been mostly based around promotional events, such as in-game events and promotion (Min Min) or new games in a series (Corrin and Byleth). This has been true of DLC since Wii U.

Does it mean that it won’t change for the rest of DLC? Can’t really know until it changes. I’m not convinced it will but who knows?

Let’s not rag on people for basing predictions on precedent when that’s basically what we’ve got to go off of.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Bragging time: just like I predicted 8 months ago ARMS sales have barely increased since the Smash reveal, if at all. And it wasn't a hard prediction or anything, not even the most out of touch business suit at Nintendo would think they could give a noticeable sales boost to a 3 year old game whose legs had already run out and with physical copies already out of print just because of cross promotion with another Nintendo title.

Nothing that the promotion arguers predicted (ARMS 2, new waves of DLC, more promotional events after the 1 week trial [that they had already done for ARMS several times before]) has come to pass. They are reduced to arguing that by putting ARMS in Smash they are "solidifying" the IP as if games needed certified Smash permission for their continued existence, so they can maintain the promotion angle somehow.
For whatever it's worth- promoting a product =/= sales of a product.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
First parties, thus far, have been mostly based around promotional events, such as in-game events and promotion (Min Min) or new games in a series (Corrin and Byleth). This has been true of DLC since Wii U.

Does it mean that it won’t change for the rest of DLC? Can’t really know until it changes. I’m not convinced it will but who knows?

Let’s not rag on people for basing predictions on precedent when that’s basically what we’ve got to go off of.
Well- three of six first party DLC were just veterans.
But I do understand of what you speak.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing with ARMs and Byleth/Corrin is that there respective situations are still pretty different even if you see a promotional angle from the former.

With promotional characters Sakurai has never been adverse to stating when promotion was a major factor in including a character. With Byleth and Corrin in particular he's been upfront about that aspect and openly admitted that they were chosen because their timing was perfect for recent game coming out. By contrast he's never stated that for Min-Min and ARMs, and we don't have too much information about the decision process other then it being a request from Nintendo like the other character. That's more ambiguous then Corrin and Byleth were, and that does leave more wiggle room for interpretation for why they were chosen.

It is possible that it was still a factor as Nintendo like any other company likes free promotion, but that doesn't mean it was any more defining for ARMs then it was for many other characters in Smash. Sakurai himself has said a franchise having a future is a plus to getting in, and Smash 4 in particular made it no secret that they understood the promotional value in pushing games alongside characters, such as Robin having the link to the Awakening website slapped on to their character page or Duck Hunt being announced with their game being released on VC. ARMs may very well just be another character in that regard, something Nintendo/Sakurai see a future for, but may've had other reasons for their choice that didn't mostly boil down to that.

There may be more to Min-Min's inclusion that we're not giving credit for, and saying that it ultimately was just promotion may very well be overlooking what other aspects of the character and franchise won Nintendo and Sakurai over.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but it was also a flash in the pan
How can we even define a flash in the pan?

It’s a thing, you know. Not everything is black and white.
Not everything is black and white, but you're kind of skipping around my point.

I already admitted that every character promotes something, but the ARMS events aren't really that different from the little advertisement blurbs on the bottom of the Smash 4 and Ultimate character pages. They are minor, "hey check it out" things that are done out of convenience.

Recognizing that you have a chance to advertise something =/= advertising being the deciding factor

Also inferences are a thing. Even if you don’t have specific evidence, an informed inference can also make for a talking point. This is different from an inference that isn’t based on anything, obviously.

Source: I’m an English teacher and teach inferencing as “reading between the lines”. It’s a thing.
This is a bit different from inferencing with a story. When interpreting an artwork, there is no real answer. It's all what you the reader get out of it. That's the beauty of it.

Meanwhile, this is a real event. This situation has some objective truths. If we infer without solid evidence, we can create "fake news." I mean, just look at Isaac fans interpreting the earthquake delay as a confirmation that Isaac was confirmed. They were inferencing, but was it actually valuable?

Last edited:
So the real question is what Nintendo games could come out early to mid 2021 that they would want to promote as the final DLC character, since there's precedence for it?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Another new question!
What type of silhouette/anatomy/Body framework do you think Smash is missing/would you most want to see?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm... not sure what you mean
I asked about playstyle archetypes before. Now I'm asking about body archetypes from fighting games.
Here is where a weapon type could be relevant. As well as species, and other fun ideas.

We don't know.
That's why I said "could" and not "will." It's just that people were talking about promotional picks, and the most likely spot for that to happen is the final character, which would theoretically come from a 2021 game if they were promotional in nature. So I thought, "hey, why not speculate games." Didn't stick, though.

Another new question!
What type of silhouette/anatomy/Body framework do you think Smash is missing/would you most want to see?
We don't really have a goo monster. Closest thing I can think of is Muk or Grimer. Maybe Helix, but he's not that amorphous.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Another new question!
I would like to see more Quadrupedal fighters like Duck Hunt and Ivysaur.

This is exactly one of my small pet peeves with Pokémon choices nowadays. Its always the bipedal anthro or humanoid looking ones, never the more interesing quadrupedal creatures like Lycanroc Midday form.

If Incineroar was a Fire Quadruped Tiger i would have been FAR more excited for him. The idea of playing a quadruped beast is something Smash has barely tapped as far as im concerned. and this is coming whose favorite Poke in Smash is Mewtwo.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
Quadruped video game protagonists aren't exactly common, so it makes sense why we only have two in Smash Ultimate. Pokémon is the realistic way to get those body shapes in Smash, especially since it already happened with Ivysaur. Too bad all the most popular quadrupeds are extremely boring.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I would like to see more Quadrupedal fighters like Duck Hunt and Ivysaur.

This is exactly one of my small pet peeves with Pokémon choices nowadays. Its always the bipedal anthro or humanoid looking ones, never the more interesing quadrupedal creatures like Lycanroc Midday form.

If Incineroar was a Fire Quadruped Tiger i would have been FAR more excited for him. The idea of playing a quadruped beast is something Smash has barely tapped as far as im concerned. and this is coming whose favorite Poke in Smash is Mewtwo.
Quadruped video game protagonists aren't exactly common, so it makes sense why we only have two in Smash Ultimate. Pokémon is the realistic way to get those body shapes in Smash, especially since it already happened with Ivysaur. Too bad all the most popular quadrupeds are extremely boring.
I know the perfect candidate.

Video Game Heroine of the Month: Amaterasu, Okami | SYFY WIRE

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
okami dog beats out every capcom character for smash, just perfect

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
We don't have any serpentine characters in Smash! Leaving aside Pokemon - which has basically every body type under the sun - I don't know any characters that could actually get in Smash.

I mean, there's the Snake from Snake, I guess, but that doesn't seem realistic.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
We don't have any serpentine characters in Smash! Leaving aside Pokemon - which has basically every body type under the sun - I don't know any characters that could actually get in Smash.

I mean, there's the Snake from Snake, I guess, but that doesn't seem realistic.
Does Snivy count? I mean, it has stubby little legs but it (and its evolution line) is still based on a serpentine body type.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai is a large part of the reason why people always gravitate toward anthro Pokémon. When choosing a Pokémon for Gen 4, 6, and 7, he chose an anthro martial artist, an anthro ninja, and an anthro wrestler. That's three anthro Pokémon in a row, all of which fight like humans.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a quad, but I do wish Sakurai would stop going with the Pokémon who fight most closely to humans. Why not choose more feral Pokémon who fight with claws or bites, or how about Pokémon who rely more on their powers for their standard attacks instead of physical punches and kicks?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why not choose more feral Pokémon who fight with claws or bites, or how about Pokémon who rely more on their powers for their standard attacks instead of physical punches and kicks?
Well the easy answer is that the Pokemon Company aren't exactly giving Sakurai the option to pick the wackier Pokemon characters considering they're not in the "set" of pokemon that are currently being pushed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom