• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
****ING SLEEVELESS SPIRITS
How LEWD

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I'd be down for some FNaF stuff, but Fortnite is such a controversial game that I'd rather have no content from it at all simply to not have to put up with any backlash from the Smash fanbase.

I'm not a fan of the game nor do I hate it. But if Steve caused gears to grind in enough people, hoo boy, I don't want to imagine how people would take to Fortnite stuff.
If it has to be in the game at all I'd obviously rather have it be a Mii Costume than to take a character slot from someone actually deserving, like Crash Bandicoot.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
"The character must display personality in THEIR game"
This feels a bit weird to me. For example I don't think Samus displays a lot of personality in most of her games. Same goes for Link.

Ironically I'd say Byleth has more personality in Smash than in Three Houses.
If anything, I expected her to be a high-risk rushdown since Byleth is canonically a Leeroy Jenkins :laugh:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 292099
I love how every single one of the standards have been completely obliterated.
Maybe using outdated information wasn't the best idea to try and prove his point. I mean there's still some foundation, but it need to be heavily revised.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Rules dictated in there are still in Play though

-The Characters do Display Personality, even Blank slates like Steve and Byleth have some Expressions in Smash
-Every character has something they do
-They do take Development and Balance into Account. Why do you think we got Steve in FP2 and not earlier
-Distrbution among Franchises is Taken into Account

The Rules though aren't that Detail, and Is Held to alot of Interpretation. It's Very Open all things considered.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The Rules dictated in there are still in Play though
I guess the arguments would be that:
-The Characters do Display Personality, even Blank slates like Steve and Byleth have some Expressions in Smash
:ultmegaman: has like, 0 personality even though he has one in the source material.
-Every character has something they do
Echo Fighters typically don't do anything that their base fighter doesn't do. (this one interprets the rule the loosest)
-They do take Development and Balance into Account. Why do you think we got Steve in FP2 and not earlier
lol :metaknight::4bayonetta:
-Distrbution among Franchises is Taken into Account
lol :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultbyleth:

Don't necessarily agree with most of these, but eh.

One of our characters is a dog who does precisely one thing in his game of origin: laugh at you.
He also picks up the ducks you shoot, and walks into the field at the start. That's 3 things!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
This feels a bit weird to me. For example I don't think Samus displays a lot of personality in most of her games. Same goes for Link.

59f663e1acb03f53933fd8bfd7bad88077e7cf05_s2_n2-2.png

only in smash will you see this

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Idk I'd we should be looking at what Sakurai said 10+ years ago as relevant now, assuming he was also probably on the "Ridley's too big" mindset back then
Sakurai's guidelines could hold true today, but that doesn't gatekeep characters. If anything, it shows that he invents whatever he feels is needed for the game onto the character(s), so any issue is nonexistent.

KillerCage

Smash Master
****ING SLEEVELESS SPIRITS
View attachment 292093
Time to make a mess.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I...did not catch this wording. I thought they meant in Smash.

Yeah, the most personality Samus had shown before inclusion was a thumbs up with a smile as far as I know.

Despite the fact people were saying Steve wouldn't get in Smash because he was just an avatar with no personality.
And lo and behold, appropriating common mannerisms from Minecraft players gives him an extremely quirky personality. Honestly you'd be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't display any personality. It's pretty much just...Mega Man and the Miis. Maybe the Pikmin captains...

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sakurai's guidelines could hold true today, but that doesn't gatekeep characters. If anything, it shows that he invents whatever he feels is needed for the game onto the character(s), so any issue is nonexistent.
Pretty Much this. Everything could be interpreted anyway because the Guidelines are not Specific and kinda Vague.

I will just say that take all those rules into account though, but I don't know if it automatically kills anyone chances

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Voting's pretty damn even right now, which I find interesting.

What do you guys think? Personally, I voted yes on the grounds that if Sakurai wants to do it, more power to him. He's the master of his own fate, if he wants to take a break, he will. If he doesn't, then he won't. Simple as that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

What do you guys think? Personally, I voted yes on the grounds that if Sakurai wants to do it, more power to him. He's the master of his own fate, if he wants to take a break, he will. If he doesn't, then he won't. Simple as that.
I put yes earlier today.

I mean, look I won’t lie, I want this incredible game to go as far as it possibly can. If it spans the next 3 Generations and we have 150 characters then I’m ecstatic. I don’t care to say that. I get peoplethink Sakurai deserves a break and yes, he absolutely does. But the man is grown. He can take a vacation any time he chooses to. Whatever he wants to do is his choice and if that’s to not make FP3 and to not carry Ultimate even farther afterwards with a new director then I’m fine with that. But I would love a 3rd season.

PacificFun

Smash Ace

Most of the FE characters in Smash have more hyphy personalities. Just compare Smash Roy and Lucina to FE Roy and Lucina. Almost completely different characters (imo at least).

I want someone else to take over so he can take a break from Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If I had twitter, I would vote to add 4 more fighters with no stages and spirit boards. Just the fighter and 1/2 songs. It can be from already established IPs like Dixie Kong or a new Pokémon (for example).

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I put yes earlier today.

I mean, look I won’t lie, I want this incredible game to go as far as it possibly can. If it spans the next 3 Generations and we have 150 characters then I’m ecstatic. I don’t care to say that. I get peoplethink Sakurai deserves a break and yes, he absolutely does. But the man is grown. He can take a vacation any time he chooses to. Whatever he wants to do is his choice and if that’s to not make FP3 and to not carry Ultimate even farther afterwards with a new director then I’m fine with that. But I would love a 3rd season.
I agree, Sakurai can take a break whenever he wants to, it's not like he's still working on this game because Nintendo is forcing him to. This game is his passion project, and he would not have taken it this far if he didn't enjoy the grind. I do think that Sakurai deserves a break soon because of how long and how hard he's been working, but his continued efforts are a choice he's made.

He's already gone on record saying that he wants to ride this train as far as he can, and I'm right there with him. If he wants to make a third Fighter's Pass, you can bet your ass I'm gonna be there buyin' it day 1.

andree123

Smash Ace

I would love to have Sakurai announce a smash ballot 2 or a spirit-to-fighter ballot for the fighters pass 3 so that way Sakurai can take a break and after that, he will close the ballot to start working on the fighters pass 3 with the selection of characters from the smash ballot 2/spirit-to-fighter ballot.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I voted no because he needs a break. And if he isn't going to take one, I'd still rather see another project by him. I get that he's Mr. Smash, but this dude made Kid Icarus: Uprising out of nowhere. I want to see what wild new ideas he came up with after spending 8 years on non-stop Smash development.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Most of the FE characters in Smash have more hyphy personalities. Just compare Smash Roy and Lucina to FE Roy and Lucina. Almost completely different characters (imo at least).
I think Lucina's pretty much the same actually. It's just that in battle Lucina and support convo Lucina are two very different people.

Shulk has a similar problem, though he does have it a bit worse, as quotes like "We're not invincible. Monado Enchant!" were dropped due to gameplay reasons so he's not as grounded in Super Smash Bros. as he is in Xenoblade Chronicles.

You know what would have been an amazing detail? If Shulk actually yelled back at Metal Face if both were present on Gaur Plain.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Pretty Much this. Everything could be interpreted anyway because the Guidelines are not Specific and kinda Vague.

I will just say that take all those rules into account though, but I don't know if it automatically kills anyone chances
I mean, ****, remember what they did for :rob:? They made him a tragic villain in his debut storyline.

And look at him now.

tenor.gif

You can almost forget the fact that he's canonically a war criminal.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I don't know what goes through TPC's head or anything. This is just idea I came up with for why Pokemon Gen 8 Might not show up

it reminds me of the one Disney rumor for why Sora couldn't be in Smash, because Disney wanted Sora and Mickey as a package deal, and Nintendo wasn't willing to go for that. Of course this would be different because TPC and Disney are different companies and have different Paygrades for their characters (Since I believe TPC owns 30% of the I.P), But I'm just Speculating

When giving Free promotion, you don't just want the chaacter, you also want the whole game. The Pokemon are important to Pokemon, it's why we got Pokeballs. TPC could have said you need to add Pokeball;s but Nintendo and Sakurai aren't looking to make more of those anytime soon, now whether TPC goes without them or just cuts the deal is all in what happens the follow months
I can argue about why gen 8 is not that likley all day but saying this against its chances is absurd

This Dosent make any sense

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I said yes, but only on the condition that he's totally okay with continuing out of his own volition.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I feel very mixed about a third fighter's pass TBH.

getting more content and characters would be cool and all, but I'd be lying if I said the Ultimate speculation or just waiting for Ultimate DLC content hasn't already been quite the slog and really felt dragged on by this point. There's a part of me that would be happy to just be finally done with it and to finally just move on from Ultimate.

For me a really nice compromise would be if the only other thing we got past FP2 was a smaller, quicker echo pass of 4 echo characters, to use up those last 4 dummy slots in the data. We'd get more content and perhaps some cool/demanded character additions, and we likely wouldn't have to wait anywhere near as long to see them all revealed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom