• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't really see the link between spirits and Persona honestly (although I'm not the biggest Persona fans, only played 5). I think the modes was influenced by Marvel vs Capcom 3 Heroes and heralds modes. If you haven't played the game, it's a mode where you collect cards and each cards have an attribute and you can make a deck of 3 cards to have 3 bonus abilities on your team and fight other teams to collect more cards.
I always thought Spirits were just Sakurai going all in with the Stickers idea from Brawl.

I guess I can see the similarities with HvH though.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
****ING SLEEVELESS SPIRITS
AAAAAAAHHHHH.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
View attachment 292093
🅱OTTOM TEXT

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 292093
This is what you get for expecting something out of a Spirit Event

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
SERIOUSLY THO

WE HAD SO MANY NEW SPIRIT EVENTS AT THE START OF THE YEAR AND ALL LAST YEAR

DID THE PANDEMIC SCREW IT UP THAT MUCH? EVEN WITHIN NINTENDO??
Obviously, they're just making sure those events respect social distancing guidelines :^)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If I'm going to be honest the constant OH BOY NEW SPIRITS-NOOOOOOOOO!!!! is starting to get really grating. They're just Spirits. We haven't had new ones in a while. We've gotten deconfirms without them. We shouldn't be constantly hyping ourselves up for them when we already know we're getting nothing out of them.
To be honest, I kinda agree with this.

But in my case, it's less from the fact that they aren't that relevant to reveals, and instead mostly because I still have plenty of other games tokeep me preoccupied.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
The next fighter in the Fighters Pass will be based on the last thing you ate. The last thing I ate was a banana, so...
worms_game_PNG18.png

We're getting a worm because there's a weapon called the "Banana Bomb" in some of the Worms games.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If I'm going to be honest the constant OH BOY NEW SPIRITS-NOOOOOOOOO!!!! is starting to get really grating. They're just Spirits. We haven't had new ones in a while. We've gotten deconfirms without them. We shouldn't be constantly hyping ourselves up for them when we already know we're getting nothing out of them.
This is basically the new "Oh, Fighter 7 will totally be revealed this week"

It's a running joke that has run its course, but people have nothing else to do, so they'll keep massacring that dead horse.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I guess it’s cause I like posterity and consistency? Not even just for deconfirms, just adding spirits from recent releases (like the Xenoblade DE epilogue), or giving Undertale the same treatment Cuphead did with spirits, and even a few series I’d like to see that can probably only have Spirits as their best form of representation (like one of my latest obsessions, Darkest Dungeon, or last year’s Star Ocean First Departure R).

Call it OCD or whatever, but it feels kinda empty to not have that consistent treatment

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I have a question: what's the deal with "reps"? Why do people care about "reps" so much? I'm not talking about SJW stuff like gender and ethnic groups (which seem to have faded into the abyss), but rather about company, franchise and genre representation.
There are people who like looking at the copyright page, and there are people who will use any excuse to promote their most wanted character(s).
Well taken into Account Sakurai, Reps actually do matter in context

In the "Standard for Selecting Characters"

So Representation does matter in terms of the Roster

As for why people care, well it's mostly a Speculation thing, and Precedent and all that. If Nintendo and Sakurai talks about wanting New audiences to play Smash, New Genre's are the way to go

If You want to talk about Precedent, we typically don't get more than 1 Company rep in the Same pass

and for Franchise, That's a Complicated can of worms and such
That suggests a desire not to have a roster that is greatly imbalanced regarding franchises. Even if this desire is still significant (see the Mario cast for evidence that it is not), it is only explicitly relevant to franchises, not companies, genres, etc.
I'm not sure if it's the Gambler's fallacy or the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy... or both. "There will be new spirits this Tuesday, and if not, there will be one next Tuesday..." and when it finally happens: "predictable". I think you guys are joking when you anticipate some new spirits, but still if someone unironically had this mentality, I'd pity them.

Speaking of spirits... feel free to rat me out if I'm stating the obvious, but do you guys think Persona/Megami Tensei influenced the "Spirits mode" as well?
It's not an example of the gambler's fallacy, because the events are not independent.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Another reason why I, for the most part, dislike regional differences lol.

Either one version of game gets coded to be worse than another, or one version has cool unique content that another version lacks.
Yeah those are a little silly. The ones that make sure your name isn't poop in the region's language though...those can keep happening. lol

I guess it’s cause I like posterity and consistency? Not even just for deconfirms, just adding spirits from recent releases (like the Xenoblade DE epilogue), or giving Undertale the same treatment Cuphead did with spirits, and even a few series I’d like to see that can probably only have Spirits as their best form of representation (like one of my latest obsessions, Darkest Dungeon, or last year’s Star Ocean First Departure R).

Call it OCD or whatever, but it feels kinda empty to not have that consistent treatment
It is pretty consistent though. We consistently get nothing. :p

7NATOR

Smash Master
I just wanna see some no-hopers get added as assist trophy DLC
Actually now that you mention this, I should have asked this thread

Because we're likely not to get Pokeballs through DLC, does this mean Gen 8 Pokemon isn't happening because TPC would want their newest, Amazing Gen 8 Pokemon to be represented in Pokeballs, beside the Playable Pokemon?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because we're likely not to get Pokeballs through DLC, does this mean Gen 8 Pokemon isn't happening because TPC would want their newest, Amazing Gen 8 Pokemon to be represented in Pokeballs, beside the Playable Pokemon?
"Add Poké Balls or no newcomer for u" wouldn't be a sensible ultimatum. They'd just lose some free promotion.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah those are a little silly. The ones that make sure your name isn't poop in the region's language though...those can keep happening. lol
That and any other name along those lines, yeah.

I still wish we got more content from the PAL version of Luigi's Mansion Hidden Mansion mode in the 3DS remake. They mostly did entirely new stuff, though, which is cool in it's own right at least.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
"Add Poké Balls or no newcomer for u" wouldn't be a sensible ultimatum. They'd just lose some free promotion.
I don't know what goes through TPC's head or anything. This is just idea I came up with for why Pokemon Gen 8 Might not show up

it reminds me of the one Disney rumor for why Sora couldn't be in Smash, because Disney wanted Sora and Mickey as a package deal, and Nintendo wasn't willing to go for that. Of course this would be different because TPC and Disney are different companies and have different Paygrades for their characters (Since I believe TPC owns 30% of the I.P), But I'm just Speculating

When giving Free promotion, you don't just want the chaacter, you also want the whole game. The Pokemon are important to Pokemon, it's why we got Pokeballs. TPC could have said you need to add Pokeball;s but Nintendo and Sakurai aren't looking to make more of those anytime soon, now whether TPC goes without them or just cuts the deal is all in what happens the follow months

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
This is basically the new "Oh, Fighter 7 will totally be revealed this week"

It's a running joke that has run its course, but people have nothing else to do, so they'll keep massacring that dead horse.
I'll still take the Spirit Event complaints over yet another repetition of that, honestly.

Pretty sure the wait for Min Min had a similar deal going on. Only difference was that the wait for her reveal at least already had the fighter narrowed down to a newcomer from a specific game.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't know what goes through TPC's head or anything. This is just idea I came up with for why Pokemon Gen 8 Might not show up

it reminds me of the one Disney rumor for why Sora couldn't be in Smash, because Disney wanted Sora and Mickey as a package deal, and Nintendo wasn't willing to go for that. Of course this would be different because TPC and Disney are different companies and have different Paygrades for their characters (Since I believe TPC owns 30% of the I.P), But I'm just Speculating

When giving Free promotion, you don't just want the chaacter, you also want the whole game. The Pokemon are important to Pokemon, it's why we got Pokeballs. TPC could have said you need to add Pokeball;s but Nintendo and Sakurai aren't looking to make more of those anytime soon, now whether TPC goes without them or just cuts the deal is all in what happens the follow months
That sounds like the pettiest reason to back out of a perfect way to advertise your game.

7NATOR

Smash Master
That sounds like the pettiest reason to back out of a perfect way to advertise your game.
Well if they were that petty, on the Bright Side, Pokemon did it's sales, it sold it's DLC. It's Among highest Selling Switch Games

What I'm trying to say is that TPC Does not need Smash. Despite the fact they have a Skelton crew relative to how Big Pokemon is, They bankrolling in Money.

The More a Company doesn't need Smash, the More likely they are to leave a Deal if things do not go in their favor

Like if Wayforward was approached by Nintendo for Shantae in Smash, What restrictions Nintendo opposes on the Deal (whether because lack of funds or whatever), Wayforward is more likely to roll with the Punches than Something like TPC, or Disney, or whatever.

Smash Needs Pokemon more than Pokemon needs Smash, and when in that sort Predicament, Nintendo and The other Companies Cooperation need to be in Equilibrium.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
View attachment 292093
Bottom text

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I'm pretty confident in Fortnite and FNAF being added as Deluxe Mii Fighter Costumes alongside future DLC Fighters.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
View attachment 292093

Some of these events are just funny as ****. They're just running out of ideas, huh?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Bottom text
Among Us is what led me to discover this meme.

On that note, Among Us Mii costumes for Smash. I'm still in full support of that (even though Innersloth recently confirmed content like that in Ultimate probably won't happening due to timing with it's only very recent surge of popularity).

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Among Us is what led me to discover this meme.

On that note, Among Us Mii costumes for Smash. I'm still in full support of that (even though Innersloth recently confirmed content like that in Ultimate probably won't happening due to timing with it's only very recent surge of popularity).
I think Fortnite and Five Nights at Freddy's Mii Costumes are definitely possible.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
View attachment 292093
They're really running out of ideas aren't they...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They're really running out of ideas aren't they...
I mean who actually grinds Spirit events? If it's an event they can make a theme out of, go for it. They got over 1,000 .pngs to go from, they can make whatever categories they please to last years.

Now, if you make new alternate costumes that require SP to unlock, then I'm gonna be on the grind.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think Fortnite and Five Nights at Freddy's Mii Costumes are definitely possible.
I'd be down for some FNaF stuff, but Fortnite is such a controversial game that I'd rather have no content from it at all simply to not have to put up with any backlash from the Smash fanbase.

I'm not a fan of the game nor do I hate it. But if Steve caused gears to grind in enough people, hoo boy, I don't want to imagine how people would take to Fortnite stuff.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well if they were that petty, on the Bright Side, Pokemon did it's sales, it sold it's DLC. It's Among highest Selling Switch Games

What I'm trying to say is that TPC Does not need Smash. Despite the fact they have a Skelton crew relative to how Big Pokemon is, They bankrolling in Money.

The More a Company doesn't need Smash, the More likely they are to leave a Deal if things do not go in their favor

Like if Wayforward was approached by Nintendo for Shantae in Smash, What restrictions Nintendo opposes on the Deal (whether because lack of funds or whatever), Wayforward is more likely to roll with the Punches than Something like TPC, or Disney, or whatever.

Smash Needs Pokemon more than Pokemon needs Smash, and when in that sort Predicament, Nintendo and The other Companies Cooperation need to be in Equilibrium.
Just because they don't need Smash doesn't mean they wouldn't take the opportunity when asked.

After all, have you ever seen a business be like "I don't want money, I already have enough" when asked about an offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom