• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
TERRA
CLOUD
SQUALL
TIDUS
ZIDANE
LIGHTNING
NOCTIS

Clive
I mean you had Cecil and BARTZ before Terra. BARTZ.

the latter’s Japanese name is even funnier: BUTZ.
Like Larry BUTZ.
When something smells, it’s usually the... ok ok I’ll stop

Is this the part where I mention Balan Wonderworld?
DO IT!

I.D.

Smash Lord
Funny you mention 2B, Amazon recently added a Switch version of NieR Replicant slated for April 2021. We DO know the Automata protags are going to be in Replicant in some way so people won't be able to shoot down 2B's Phantasy Star 2 appearance not counting as a Nintendo appearance despite Sakurai counting Cloud's cameos in KH and stuff
Amazon France is infamous for jumping the gun and getting these things wrong constantly, this is almost guaranteed to mean nothing.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah and the Rayman twitter account told their followers to vote for Rayman on the Smash ballot back when that was around, but I have never seen any of the Assassin's Creed social medias drum up support for an Assassin to join.
I'm late to the whole Rayman discussion, but the current Rayman for Smash page actually wasn't around back then (there still was one just not the same one). But you are right, Rayman has always been way more demanded than an Assassin's Creed rep by a landslide, and I think that gives him the edge. I know people will point to AC being a much bigger series, but I still believe Rayman being the only Ubi rep with a big demand, nintendo giving him representation in ultimate first before AC depsite not recently publishing one of his games, shows that if they're gonna choose a Ubi rep eventually, it'll most likely be him. The main question comes down to whether or not the miis kill his chances or not. I get the "why not save them if Rayman is coming?" Arguement, and it could be valid, but at the same time, Pass 1 and 2 are two separate beasts, and Rayman could still bring along some other miis like globox, Barbara, and others from his game and then have other miis show up from other companies so ubisoft content doesn't hog the whole direct. That's just how I'm currently leaning and still optimistic that he has a shot.

Also can we quit with the whole "no way would rayman get in over crash" or "no way would crash get in over Rayman"? Not only is that dumb on both sides, but they're two TOTALLY separate companies. We also had 3 RPG reps on the last pass, so maybe we could get two platformer reps on this one? No need for bickering over it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Like Larry BUTZ.
"Hey, we've got this cool fantasy RPG. What should we call the protagonist?"
"Hehe. Butts."

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well taken into Account Sakurai, Reps actually do matter in context

In the "Standard for Selecting Characters"

So Representation does matter in terms of the Roster

As for why people care, well it's mostly a Speculation thing, and Precedent and all that. If Nintendo and Sakurai talks about wanting New audiences to play Smash, New Genre's are the way to go

If You want to talk about Precedent, we typically don't get more than 1 Company rep in the Same pass

and for Franchise, That's a Complicated can of worms and such
That picture is 12 years old and Sakurai has changed his mind about stuff from time to time, so maybe he's more lax about it?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I have a question: what's the deal with "reps"? Why do people care about "reps" so much? I'm not talking about SJW stuff like gender and ethnic groups (which seem to have faded into the abyss), but rather about company, franchise and genre representation.
I mean, Smash is about the characters. The main draw is seeing all these gaming guys and girls beating the everloving %$#@ out of each other. generally, people are going to have their own opinions on how a game should be represented, what brings out the most of it's integral parts, who's "deserving" or not, etc.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Because Smash is a crossover game. And with Cloud opening the flood gates for speculation (for better or worse), the whole "reps" thing was going to become more apparent no matter what.
“Cloud made it apparent that ANYONE could happen”
Snake 8 years prior:
:snakefire:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Like Larry BUTZ.
Oh, you think that's bad? In Ys, we have the Fact family... But in Japan, the a is a u and the c is a k.

You can see where this is going

SKX31

Smash Master
Cecil's old but not that out there name...

...But yeah, I can kinda understand that since Cecil's practically faded into obscurity, as evidenced by the relative lack of living people named Cecil (Yeah, the chart's seemingly incomplete, but the downwards trend is apparent). Cecilia - a related name - is nowadays a lot more common.

“Cloud made it apparent that ANYONE could happen”
Snake 8 years prior:
:snakefire:
I kinda find it strange that people still debate over that 14 years after a clone-spy-with-a-limited-lifespan first announced it was showtime to a cartoon plumber.

Oh, you think that's bad? In Ys, we have the Fact family... But in Japan, the a is a u and the c is a k.

You can see where this is going
Well, that's one way of throwing in the towel and bracing oneself for the inevitable fanfic / fanart / "adult parody" storm.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I'm late to the whole Rayman discussion, but the current Rayman for Smash page actually wasn't around back then (there still was one just not the same one). But you are right, Rayman has always been way more demanded than an Assassin's Creed rep by a landslide, and I think that gives him the edge. I know people will point to AC being a much bigger series, but I still believe Rayman being the only Ubi rep with a big demand, nintendo giving him representation in ultimate first before AC depsite not recently publishing one of his games, shows that if they're gonna choose a Ubi rep eventually, it'll most likely be him. The main question comes down to whether or not the miis kill his chances or not. I get the "why not save them if Rayman is coming?" Arguement, and it could be valid, but at the same time, Pass 1 and 2 are two separate beasts, and Rayman could still bring along some other miis like globox, Barbara, and others from his game and then have other miis show up from other companies so ubisoft content doesn't hog the whole direct. That's just how I'm currently leaning and still optimistic that he has a shot.

Also can we quit with the whole "no way would rayman get in over crash" or "no way would crash get in over Rayman"? Not only is that dumb on both sides, but they're two TOTALLY separate companies. We also had 3 RPG reps on the last pass, so maybe we could get two platformer reps on this one? No need for bickering over it.
Also what the people who say "why not save the Mii's if Rayman is coming" don't really realize is that the same can be said for an Assassin's Creed rep, like the same argument applies to an Assassin's Creed rep. Why not save the Mii Costumes for that? That's why I think the Ubisoft Mii Costumes don't deconfirm any potential Ubisoft reps in the future.

It also makes a huge amount of sense for them to get a rep. Ubisoft has done so much for Nintendo and both companies have a very mutual respect and friendship with each other.

The creative director of the game literally cried in front of Miyamoto, you can tell he has a lot of passion for the game and for Nintendo. Ubisoft seems like a no brainer to give them a playable rep in Smash at this point.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also what the people who say "why not save the Mii's if Rayman is coming" don't really realize is that the same can be said for an Assassin's Creed rep, like the same argument applies to an Assassin's Creed rep. Why not save the Mii Costumes for that?
The issue with that is that the people who use this argument also believe that an Altaïr (lol) character is disconfirmed as well.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
In less than an hour, We'll finally get some good Completely new, Spirits. I can see it now...

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I'm not sure if it's the Gambler's fallacy or the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy... or both. "There will be new spirits this Tuesday, and if not, there will be one next Tuesday..." and when it finally happens: "predictable". I think you guys are joking when you anticipate some new spirits, but still if someone unironically had this mentality, I'd pity them.

Speaking of spirits... feel free to rat me out if I'm stating the obvious, but do you guys think Persona/Megami Tensei influenced the "Spirits mode" as well?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if it's the Gambler's fallacy or the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy... or both. "There will be new spirits this Tuesday, and if not, there will be one next Tuesday..." and when it finally happens: "predictable". I think you guys are joking when you anticipate some new spirits, but still if someone unironically had this mentality, I'd pity them.

Speaking of spirits... feel free to rat me out if I'm stating the obvious, but do you guys think Persona/Megami Tensei influenced the "Spirits mode" as well?
By now I've come to accept that the Spirits are pretty much a joke by now. Think I heard this is about the same rate as it used to be? I'll have to double-check.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know...I never once thought of that.
I kinda see the resemblance, at least in fusion

also I’ve brought this up tons of times but anyone else think World of Light was influenced in some way by Dissidia Final Fantasy??

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
now that banjos is already in smash. I think it would be pretty cool to see crash in the game, even though I have no real attachment to character or his games(never played them). I wana see him fill in as a Sony mascot up against sonic and mario

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It'd kinda be nice to see Rayman, Crash and Spyro all make the cut, to be honest.

But Spyro has the potential obstacle of being an American IP which might put him at odds with third parties more popular overseas, plus unlike BK, he and (as far as I'm aware) the company responsible for his creation lack a strong history with Nintendo.

I'd love to see it, but at this point I really have no idea who to expect in the remaining DLC spots anymore. We've gotten such a wide variety of characters from so many different companies that, (I'm sure I'll sound like a broken record for saying this yet again) without some major official news or credible leaks dropping, we have very, very little information to go off of.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I don't really see the link between spirits and Persona honestly (although I'm not the biggest Persona fans, only played 5). I think the modes was influenced by Marvel vs Capcom 3 Heroes and heralds modes. If you haven't played the game, it's a mode where you collect cards and each cards have an attribute and you can make a deck of 3 cards to have 3 bonus abilities on your team and fight other teams to collect more cards.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Like Larry BUTZ.

DO IT!
Butz is an actual name though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It'd kinda be nice to see Rayman, Crash and Spyro all make the cut, to be honest.

But Spyro has the potential obstacle of being an American IP which might put him at odds with third parties more popular overseas, plus unlike BK, he and (as far as I'm aware) the company responsible for his creation lack a strong history with Nintendo.

I'd love to see it, but at this point I really have no idea who to expect in the remaining DLC spots anymore. We've gotten such a wide variety of characters from so many different companies that, (I'm sure I'll sound like a broken record for saying this yet again) without some major official news or credible leaks dropping, we have very, very little information to go off of.
Also Japan literally hates Spyro cause the Japanese localizers had brilliant (read: awful) ideas regarding the camera and stuff cause they were afraid it would cause nausea or something so they went and made it somehow WORSE lmao

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also Japan literally hates Spyro cause the Japanese localizers had brilliant (read: awful) ideas regarding the camera and stuff cause they were afraid it would cause nausea or something so they went and made it somehow WORSE lmao
It's not just the camera.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
TERRA
CLOUD
SQUALL
TIDUS
ZIDANE
LIGHTNING
NOCTIS

Clive
This is Vaan erasure and I won't.... Yeah, I will tolerate it.

You mean now or ever?

Whelp...he gets to join the weird name squad with Corrin, Byleth, Eleven, Eight, and Solo.
I meant for Ultimate.

Though I don't think getting another FF character after Ultimate is likely. At best I could see Zack as an echo. I also think Sakurai would rather add a different franchise instead of adding an unique FF character. Zack would be the best option of adding another FF rep without too much work.

Zack would be nice but I don't know, I honestly feel adding him is almost scraping the barrel. No offense to Zack fans. I mean he's cool but as I said 732 times if we get another unique FF rep it better be a different protag and not Tifa/Aerith/Barret or any party member from VII. Same goes for Sephiroth but at least him would be more understandable for me, considering he's one of the most iconic villains in gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom