• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I'm gonna say it again: Nintendo as a creative company is awesome! Nintendo as a business company, however; is horrible and always has been (that goes for SEGA too).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Which is of course an utterly ridiculous claim to believe.

After all given his decision making with the franchise, its clearly Miyamoto who hates Star Fox. 😉
Son of a ***** I thought you posted a video and that it just wouldn't load considering all the space between sentences.

For real though despite my apathy towards Star Fox, Krystal's AT really surprised me as it that HAD to be influenced by the ballot and nothing else, I'm pretty sure Ridley was the only other stand out content that was announced back then too
Marketing is really good, not gonna lie.

That's fair, especially with the sheer scope of the movies. With that said...

Art of Fighting is a direct prequel to Fatal Fury. It's not really a "crossover" at this point more than it is a proof that the two franchises are indeed connected as part of a single story.

What's next? Tiki in Awakening means the game is actually a crossover too?
Art of Fighting's always been well, Art of Fighting. It's not branded as Fatal Fury in any way, I even double checked the JP name in case it was branded as Garou. Maybe I should have used KoF as a better example but that's on me.

As for Tiki, she's absolutely fanservice for old fans, but she's not a selling point like "Wow the champions are all together and they'll actually ****ing do something instead of refusing to acknowledge each other in all their appearances! Again, like the MCU. We saw Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk but that didn't mean Hulk and Iron Man wasn't exciting to audiences

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm gonna say it again: Nintendo as a creative company is awesome! Nintendo as a business company is horrible and always has been (that goes for SEGA too).
This is kinda out of nowhere but I doubt most people would disagree that Nintendo can be absolute scum. Can't say I know what you're talking about with SEGA unless you mean Atlus being absolute garbage

You just made Pichu sad. Apologize.
Nah, you see, like everyone else who isn't an edgelord or competitive player, Diddy pretends Pichu's not in the game so that Pichu could never possibly get hurt in any way shape or form

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I genuinely don't get what's so hard to understand here, Byleth lucked out on timing for the DLC project plan, Rex and Spring Man didn't.
It's not a lack of understanding. The reason why things are the way they are doesn't remove the complaint. The fact remains that they made a big show about how they couldn't have added the characters to the base roster because they hadn't existed yet (which is completely understandable), and then instead of adding one for DLC, they added arguably the least popular character like this. It's not illogical to be a little miffed by this.

Nah, you see, like everyone else who isn't an edgelord or competitive player, Diddy pretends Pichu's not in the game so that Pichu could never possibly get hurt in any way shape or form
Pichu is hurt because he feels like he's invisible, but people ignore him because they don't want him to get hurt...

This is so sad. Alexa, play Oracion.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
who cares about Brewster when we finally have black ethnic hair in the game
And also baldness because I needed that cursed image.

This could probably sound rude in this context, so I'll just say that I'm fine with bald people, but the Villager was designed with hair in mind so it looks kinda unsettling without it. Similar to that bald Sora image that people posted because reasons.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That... Simply just happens. Look at Zelda for example. Even with Smash Ultimate, Ocarina of Time has the most characters by far; Young Link, Sheik and Ganondorf. In Brawl and Smash 4 it was the Twilight Princess cast, and Melee had literally everyone from Ocarina of Time. Then there's also the overload of Generation 1 Pokémon in Smash, with Lucario, Incineroar and Greninja as sole exceptions.
Honestly that kinda bugs me too. If I had the option to swap out a good chunk of the Gen 1 reps in exchange for Pokemon from the unrepresented generations, I'd choose the latter no contest.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Naming all of the games in a series is infinitely more relevant to its history than naming every character. There was indeed reason for him to do it.
I guess that's why he names all the games of every series. Next time, maybe we can get Flag Semamore that you can defend 🙄

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's not a lack of understanding. The reason why things are the way they are doesn't remove the complaint. The fact remains that they made a big show about how they couldn't have added the characters to the base roster because they hadn't existed yet (which is completely understandable), and then instead of adding one for DLC, they added arguably the least popular character like this. It's not illogical to be a little miffed by this.

Pichu is hurt because he feels like he's invisible, but people ignore him because they don't want him to get hurt...

This is so sad. Alexa, play Oracion.
But... Sakurai pretty much did that
They had bad timing and we know for a fact XB2 and Ultimate began development in 2015, though I don't know how far alongs ARMS was as I can't find a source on that, though I think it's safe to say 2015 too. Byleth? They didn't have bad timing and fit in nicely with what Nintendo was looking for as a 2019 game. Sakurai adding Byleth because Nintendo wanted Byleth isn't contradictory to why Rex and Spring Man weren't included either when the people upset at Byleth despite Rex and Spring Man are claiming it's indeed a contradiction because they're ignoring key details.

Pichu just plays with the other fighters who aren't in use, just like how the Pokemon boxes are fun little places where they can relax and have fun instead of a lifeless void
I'm talking about Byleth.
Byleth isn't a bad business decision at all though, I thought you meant them profiting off of genocide or the timed release stuff but if you want to say "This disappointed me so it's scummy" go ahead
Honestly that kinda bugs me too. If I had the option to swap out a good chunk of the Gen 1 reps in exchange for Pokemon from the unrepresented generations, I'd choose the latter no contest.
**** outta here Charizard we getting mother****ing AGGRON

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That... Simply just happens. Look at Zelda for example. Even with Smash Ultimate, Ocarina of Time has the most characters by far; Young Link, Sheik and Ganondorf. In Brawl and Smash 4 it was the Twilight Princess cast, and Melee had literally everyone from Ocarina of Time. Then there's also the overload of Generation 1 Pokémon in Smash, with Lucario, Incineroar and Greninja as sole exceptions.
...Pokemon that are born in Gen 1 are the ones that are relevant in every generation.
It's not like Lucina appears in every Fire Emblem game now.
Meanwhile, the Pokemon get movies, Kanto is in 4 generations (1, 2, 3, 5 + quickly available starters in 6, and LGPE of gen 8). <--tell me how this is relevant to Lucina.
It sounds like youre getting lost on the words and not the concept.
'Gen 1' bias is a stupid phrase- the characters are in almost all Pokemon media that exists.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
**** outta here Charizard we getting mother****ing AGGRON

In my idea timeline, we'd have Scizor for a full (Non-clone) Gen 2 rep, Aggron for Gen 3, Golurk for Gen 5, and Appletun for Gen 8. Keep Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar for the rest of the generations, plus a Legendary Pokemon. Maybe bring back Pichu and/or Pokemon Trainer, perhaps with a revamp for the latter to a more hands-on fighter that represents every generation and/or the items.

Sorry I don't have a female/gender-neutral version of the meme this is the only version they had in store

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the Gen 1 reps should stay:
  • Pikachu is the mascot.
  • Jigglypuff is a Super Smash Bros. series staple.
  • Mewtwo is the legendary Pokémon.
  • Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are necessary for the inclusion of the main protagonist.
Instead, I'd just add more Pokémon from other generations.

I guess that's why he names all the games of every series. Next time, maybe we can get Flag Semamore that you can defend 🙄
Just because he doesn't do it the same way each time doesn't make any of the methods irrelevant. I'm not defending an offensive gester, I'm saying there wasn't one made to begin with. He was counting in binary. That's it. He wasn't conspiring to flip everyone off. That'd be like saying that someone is being rude every time they gave someone else a thumbs up because it is a rude gesture in some parts of the world. Context matters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Nintendo as a business company, however; is horrible and always has been (that goes for SEGA too).
They may not always make the best decisions, but clearly they do something accurately to
1- survive for as long as they have
2- drum up more fanboyism than perhaps any other gaming company, or even many other companies, short of Disney

In my idea timeline, we'd have Scizor for a full (Non-clone) Gen 2 rep, Aggron for Gen 3, Golurk for Gen 5, and Appletun for Gen 8. Keep Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar for the rest of the generations, plus a Legendary Pokemon. Maybe bring back Pichu and/or Pokemon Trainer, perhaps with a revamp for the latter to a more hands-on fighter that represents every generation and/or the items.

Sorry I don't have a female/gender-neutral version of the meme this is the only version they had in store
So...just get rid of Jigglypuff?

Just because he doesn't do it the same way each time doesn't make any of the methods irrelevant. I'm not defending an offensive gester, I'm saying there wasn't one made to begin with. He was counting in binary. That's it. He wasn't conspiring to flip everyone off. That'd be like saying that someone is being rude every time they gave someone else a thumbs up because it is a rude gesture in some parts of the world. Context matters.
We aren't going to convince each other, so there's no point in us continuing this conversation.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

****ing Golurk? My dude you've earned yourself a goddamn sticker, Golurk is so goddamn badass that seeing it in Detective Pikachu was a genuine highlight. I ****in love Gen V, hate how Pokemon's issue of refusing to acknowledge non gen 1 Pokemon can be traced back to morons whining that they had to use the new Pokemon in the main game instead of their old favourites.

That's understandable, though to compensate, I want you to get a copy of Bambi for the ps2

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So...just get rid of Jigglypuff?
Not necessarily, it's just that Jigglypuff doesn't have anything to convince me otherwise. Pichu and Pokemon Trainer have some thing going for them, but from the mindset of "One Pokemon per generation + one freebie," I feel that Mewtwo being a Legendary gives them more of an edge over the other candidates, in my opinion.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not necessarily, it's just that Jigglypuff doesn't have anything to convince me otherwise. Pichu and Pokemon Trainer have some thing going for them, but from the mindset of "One Pokemon per generation + one freebie," I feel that Mewtwo being a Legendary gives them more of an edge over the other candidates, in my opinion.
Why should each generation born Pokemon get a character?
I see people say this all the time, and it never seems to get defended.

The original games, which are relevant to the entire media franchise, were a cultural phenomenon unlike any other video game in history. Pokemon, up until 2001, was used as a sociological, psychological, and economic study.

Every character from Pokemon could be from the first 151 and it would still make sense. (Though, I'm glad it doesnt).

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If the choice is to some degree Nintendo's control, they may have a different set of priorities. 2B is from a franchise that lacks even the tenuous connection to Nintendo that Persona did (and that's not even getting into the changes necessary for her costume), while Tomb Raider's notable but not as immediately relevant as to contemporary Switch releases as Bravely Default or TWEWY.

Heck if Square Enix announced a collection/releases of the first six FF games for Switch next year, one could argue that a Terra or Cecil would be the character they'd go for.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I still wonder that, if we're getting one last Square character, if Nintendo would want to promote the likes of Bravely Defualt or TWEWY or add another heavy hitter such as Lara Croft and (less so but still) 2B.
Funny you mention 2B, Amazon recently added a Switch version of NieR Replicant slated for April 2021. We DO know the Automata protags are going to be in Replicant in some way so people won't be able to shoot down 2B's Phantasy Star 2 appearance not counting as a Nintendo appearance despite Sakurai counting Cloud's cameos in KH and stuff

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Why should each generation born Pokemon get a character?
I see people say this all the time, and it never seems to get defended.

The original games, which are relevant to the entire media franchise, were a cultural phenomenon unlike any other video game in history. Pokemon, up until 2001, was used as a sociological, psychological, and economic study.

Every character from Pokemon could be from the first 151 and it would still make sense. (Though, I'm glad it doesnt).
I dunno, it just feels nice having it all equal. Also, there's the fact that I can give one rep for each generation without it coming off as overboard.

It should also be noted that these picks are for a personal roster I'm making, so there's a bunch of other variables that I have to take into account that are admittedly arbitrary and slanted towards my personal tastes.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dunno, it just feels nice having it all equal. Also, there's the fact that I can give one rep for each generation without it coming off as overboard.

It should also be noted that these picks are for a personal roster I'm making, so there's a bunch of other variables that I have to take into account that are admittedly arbitrary and slanted towards my personal tastes.
But even about 'equality,' they
1- dont make equal appearances
2- they have vastly different numbers of newcomers, with some generations having twice as many new Pokemon as others.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If the choice is to some degree Nintendo's control, they may have a different set of priorities. 2B is from a franchise that lacks even the tenuous connection to Nintendo that Persona did (and that's not even getting into the changes necessary for her costume), while Tomb Raider's notable but not as immediately relevant as to contemporary Switch releases as Bravely Default or TWEWY.

Heck if Square Enix announced a collection/releases of the first six FF games for Switch next year, one could argue that a Terra or Cecil would be the character they'd go for.
Unless Nintendo and Sakurai are super mad because of the poor representation for Final Fantasy, I don't see any scenario where they would add another FF character. I mean I'd love to get Terra or another FF protagonist. To be fair I feel another FFVII character would be more likely even if it's because of the remake. Which sucks because Final Fantasy isn't just VII and I'd rather a more balanced representation instead of going with only VII.

Anyway I doubt they would even think to add a character just to promote a bunch of old games. It doesn't feel very right, if you're going to promote something I feel adding a character from a recent new game or upcoming game makes more sense.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Unless Nintendo and Sakurai are super mad because of the poor representation for Final Fantasy, I don't see any scenario where they would add another FF character. I mean I'd love to get Terra or another FF protagonist. To be fair I feel another FFVII character would be more likely even if it's because of the remake. Which sucks because Final Fantasy isn't just VII and I'd rather a more balanced representation instead of going with only VII.

Anyway I doubt they would even think to add a character just to promote a bunch of old games. It doesn't feel very right, if you're going to promote something I feel adding a character from a recent new game or upcoming game makes more sense.
Brb making the Clive support thread so we can try and claim FFXVI's getting repped

Also yes the XVI protag's named Clive, I'm surprised too

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That is what makes a potential SE character fairly interesting to guess. All the major favorites have some potential impediments for one reason or another; thus leading to the current scenario where a Neku doesn't necessarily feel all that less likely than a Sora.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Unless Nintendo and Sakurai are super mad because of the poor representation for Final Fantasy, I don't see any scenario where they would add another FF character.
You mean now or ever?

Also yes the XVI protag's named Clive, I'm surprised too
Whelp...he gets to join the weird name squad with Corrin, Byleth, Eleven, Eight, and Solo.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I have a question: what's the deal with "reps"? Why do people care about "reps" so much? I'm not talking about SJW stuff like gender and ethnic groups (which seem to have faded into the abyss), but rather about company, franchise and genre representation.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I have a question: what's the deal with "reps"? Why do people care about "reps" so much? I'm not talking about SJW stuff like gender and ethnic groups (which seem to have faded into the abyss), but rather about company, franchise and genre representation.
Because Smash is a crossover game. And with Cloud opening the flood gates for speculation (for better or worse), the whole "reps" thing was going to become more apparent no matter what.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Well taken into Account Sakurai, Reps actually do matter in context

In the "Standard for Selecting Characters"

So Representation does matter in terms of the Roster

As for why people care, well it's mostly a Speculation thing, and Precedent and all that. If Nintendo and Sakurai talks about wanting New audiences to play Smash, New Genre's are the way to go

If You want to talk about Precedent, we typically don't get more than 1 Company rep in the Same pass

and for Franchise, That's a Complicated can of worms and such

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Company: Because there generally can only be one character added from them at a time, so there's competition.
Franchise: Because people want to see their favorite franchises show off all they have to offer in Super Smash Bros.
Genre: Because new genres bring new and interesting things to the table, and there are many different fans of many different genres so it's natural that some people would advocate for the "have not"s in that regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom