• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess the deal with Sakurai replacing himself with someone else is that design philosophies will change. Perhaps this will cause a reboot, perhaps this will shift the newcomers to mostly 3rd party characters, or give another pass to characters that have missed their shot. Perhaps the balancing will lean more toward competitive play, or maybe it will add new mechanics to the overall gameplay. Maybe it will cause characters to feel more or less like themselves. Who can say?

Personally, I think they'll get someone they know can do the job well, and as long as a creative mind that is able to think of everyone is at the helm, it isn't going to negatively impact the series despite any initial pushback.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Hmm...Well that makes it a bit more generic, but it does make sense since he's the only one that doesn't really need Monado Enchant (though it does give you an attack buff which is why the computer seems to spam it. lol).
He's supposed to be saying that to his (mechon) enemies as in "we can damage you now, you are not invulnerable anymore"

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've bought all the Smash amiibo- and for the first set, I even bought doubles (because I wanted one box set of something to collect in my life).
And that cost me over 1500.
And then I moved literally 12 times in 5 years.
So that was fun.

I'd happily take 9 more passes.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think it’s worth bringing up that, by 2022, the switch will be almost 5 years old when FP2’s release schedule finishes. Meaning that if they wanted to an Ultimate Deluxe could begin development and be ready for the Switch successors release which would be around 2024 or maybe 2025. That’s actually what I expect to see over a FP3 but I dunno what I expect to see after that. I’m wondering if at that point Sakurai wouldn’t be ready to just retire.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think it’s worth bringing up that, by 2022, the smash will be almost 5 years old when FP2’s release schedule finishes. Meaning that if they wanted to an Ultimate Deluxe could begin development and be ready for the Switch successors release which would be around 2024 or maybe 2025. That’s actually what I expect to see over a FP3 but I dunno what I expect to see after that. I’m wondering if at that point Sakurai wouldn’t be ready to just retire.
He's been ready to retire for decades.
So, in that light, he will stop when he's ready.
I agree with all those that have said, let him do what he wants.
Sure, it's tiring to work on Smash, but it's also a once in a lifetime opportunity that, perhaps no other video game creator in history, has gotten to try out. Even if tired, or with the 'strict Japanese work culture,' it's not exactly a mystery as to what the appeal of working on Smash would be. We are honored to have someone so talented and devoted at the helm of the game, but he, surely, is honored to be able to do so.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think it’s worth bringing up that, by 2022, the switch will be almost 5 years old when FP2’s release schedule finishes. Meaning that if they wanted to an Ultimate Deluxe could begin development and be ready for the Switch successors release which would be around 2024 or maybe 2025. That’s actually what I expect to see over a FP3 but I dunno what I expect to see after that. I’m wondering if at that point Sakurai wouldn’t be ready to just retire.
I think he’d want to do something that’s not-Smash, at the very least one game before returning to Smash. He seems like the type of person who’ll be working on games for a long time even if he moves to a producer role like Miyamoto.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No, I meant they didn't bring it back for nomination. Some people thought that since Among Us is getting nominations despite coming out in 2018, they might do something similar.

Also, they teased Joker prior to his reveal?
Not Joker himself, but a reveal in general iirc

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
McLoud Gaming (the people who made Super Smash Flash 2) are now making an indie Smash game called Fraymakers. Featuring:
  • Fishbunjin (Ittle Dew)
  • Welltaro (Downwell)
  • Orcane (Rivals of Aether)
  • Commander Video (Bit Trip)
  • Octodad (Octodad)
  • The Watcher (Uh...I actually don't know this one)
It also has selectable assist characters (that probably aren't otherwise playable) that can be used after charging them up. It looks about as cool as it sounds, though this probably means Super Smash Bros. won't have this feature ever now, which is really too bad. Would've been a great replacement or addition to Assist Trophies.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
For anybody interested, here are the Game Awards nominees:

Before you ask, no, they didn't bring Smash back. I checked.
Really good and solid line up of nominees. If I had to pick 6 games, it would be something like this.

The nominees for the other categories were pretty fine for the most part in my opinion. Though a bit surprised for Half Life Alyx not being among the GOTY nominees. I already suspected being a VR game would affect his chances because not everyone, not even journalists, have VR, but still.

It will take some years for VR only games to gain more popularity.

Also I just hope the thread doesn't go again into "tlou2 bad" mode. A lot of people liked it, and from the looks of the nominees, it clearly seems that overall speaking the journalists liked the game as well.

Now let's wait and see if FP8 happens at VGA.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
McLoud Gaming (the people who made Super Smash Flash 2) are now making an indie Smash game called Fraymakers. Featuring:
  • Fishbunjin (Ittle Dew)
  • Welltaro (Downwell)
  • Orcane (Rivals of Aether)
  • Commander Video (Bit Trip)
  • Octodad (Octodad)
  • The Watcher (Uh...I actually don't know this one)
It also has selectable assists characters (that probably aren't otherwise playable) that can be used after charging them up. It looks about as cool as it sounds, though this probably means Super Smash Bros. won't have this feature ever now, which is really too bad. Would've been a great replacement or addition to Assist Trophies.
I remember an old rumour saying ATs could be set like this and MvC1, I was so sad it was fake because it's a genuinely cool idea and would be interesting as hell to see

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Charge up your AT Meter to droppeth the M O O N
Still think not having Spirits summon ATs was a missed opportunity.

Like, Bomberman and Shovel Knight's Spirits should be exactly that: Bomberman and Shovel Knight. It's not like Spirits are made for non-casual play and aren't busted anyway, so I say go crazy, go stupid.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Still think not having Spirits summon ATs was a missed opportunity.

Like, Bomberman and Shovel Knight's Spirits should be exactly that: Bomberman and Shovel Knight. It's not like Spirits are made for non-casual play and aren't busted anyway, so I say go crazy, go stupid.
Dark Matter: "Go V O I D"

D

Deleted member

It also has selectable assist characters (that probably aren't otherwise playable) that can be used after charging them up. It looks about as cool as it sounds, though this probably means Super Smash Bros. won't have this feature ever now, which is really too bad. Would've been a great replacement or addition to Assist Trophies.
I, uh......... Don’t really understand how this would prevent them from adding it or a similar feature to Smash. It’s not like charging a meter too summon an assist character is unique to Fraymakers. Other fighting games have this mechanics too.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, they finally added chargeable Final Smashes 10 years after they got introduced, so there's always future games.

Anyways the past 10 years of Smash has already given us so many features we've been dreaming about for years like 8 Player Smash, Disabling Stage Hazards, Battlefield and Omega version of stages, Stage Morphing, being able to play as completely separate characters in the same match with their own stocks (Squad Strike). They're going to be always looking for new ideas to improve in future entries.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I, uh......... Don’t really understand how this would prevent them from adding it or a similar feature to Smash. It’s not like charging a meter too summon an assist character is unique to Fraymakers. Other fighting games have this mechanics too.
And that's assuming they even notice Fraymakers. Even if they do, there's also the question on whether or not they consider it big enough to affect Smash.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Everyone knows the second any company, indie or otherwise, does anything, Nintendo is forbidden from doing the same thing. It's how business works.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Voting's pretty damn even right now, which I find interesting.

What do you guys think? Personally, I voted yes on the grounds that if Sakurai wants to do it, more power to him. He's the master of his own fate, if he wants to take a break, he will. If he doesn't, then he won't. Simple as that.
I understand people wanting Sakurai to get rest and all, but I'd much rather see a third pass than not. I'm sure it would sell really well, too. And also, how about this: Sakurai and team take a month or two break before starting the third pass. I don't think that would be a bad idea at all, and then everyone who wants him to have a break, he gets one. But we get the third pass a little later. Win-win.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I honestly don't expect a third pass, especially if it only has four fighters.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm honestly shocked that a room full of people who waste their time on a Smash speculation thread would say they don't want more characters.
Frankly, they're animals. And they should be put down.

It's too bad that timeghost bull**** ruined FF7R's chances...

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I remember an old rumour saying ATs could be set like this and MvC1, I was so sad it was fake because it's a genuinely cool idea and would be interesting as hell to see
Charge up your AT Meter to droppeth the M O O N
Hoo boy, any call-able ATs would make for even more insane moments. Take :ultshulk: :

But now, imagine that Kome (the Shulk player) calls forth Waluigi / Tiki / some other AT directly after the Air Slash to finish off the Cloud.

Link to the moment here.

Everyone knows the second any company, indie or otherwise, does anything, Nintendo is forbidden from doing the same thing. It's how business works.
Oh, so that explains Nintendo's need to invent everything from sliced bread onwards! :4pacman:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that these four fighters are it for Ultimate. Especially considering that the CSS can only handle four more fighters after FP2.

The Game Awards fighting game selection always cracks me up. There's always one anime game that got almost universally mediocre reception. And this year 3/5 are essentially old games that recently got dlc and balance changes. I'd have probably replaced something there with Footsies, but it was too small a game and probably went unnoticed by people choosing the nominees.

If Smash had a new edition that included all of fighters pass 1, it probably would have been on the list.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The Game Awards fighting game selection always cracks me up. There's always one anime game that got almost universally mediocre reception. And this year 3/5 are essentially old games that recently got dlc and balance changes. I'd have probably replaced something there with Footsies, but it was too small a game and probably went unnoticed by people choosing the nominees.

If Smash had a new edition that included all of fighters pass 1, it probably would have been on the list.
Yeah, 2020 wasn't a particularly good year for fighting games, was it?

Also, quick rant: they put Persona 5 Royal up for nomination in Best RPG, but not Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition? It had better reviews than pretty much every other game in that category!

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Also, quick rant: they put Persona 5 Royal up for nomination in Best RPG, but not Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition? It had better reviews than pretty much every other game in that category!
I don't think remasters should be up for nominations in the first place, even if they add some new stuff on. I'm fine if it's remade from the ground up, but XC:DE and P5R are basically the same game with some extras on the side.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Melee should have been nominated for getting rollback from Slippi.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Remasters or 1:1 remakes usually end being forgotten or dismissed when it comes to awards but yeah if Persona 5 Royal made it I don't see why wouldn't Xenoblade 1.

Personally I'd rather not having remakes and remasters for awards. Remakes such as RE2 or FFVII are the exception to this as both games have multiple differences from the original game.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I just generally find it odd which genres they acknowledge. Action, Action/Adventure, Fighting, RPG, Sports/Racing, SIM/Strategy,
And then, non genres: Multiplayer, Family, Indie, Mobile...

Why doesn't this seem to be all that gaming is?

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

No Half-Life Alyx... that was unexpected. I'm happy to see Hades though!

Tbh they're all great games, but I hope that TLOU2 wins because it's the best game among those.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom