• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think remasters should be up for nominations in the first place, even if they add some new stuff on. I'm fine if it's remade from the ground up, but XC:DE and P5R are basically the same game with some extras on the side.
I just think they should be in their own category.
The Tony's handles it well.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
For anybody interested, here are the Game Awards nominees:

Before you ask, no, they didn't bring Smash back. I checked.
Boooo where's Half-Life: Alyx? :glare:

It's absurd how a game that is a technical marvel that advances game design and sets a new standard for a medium doesn't get nominated for GOTY. Yeah I know VR isn't that popular among the general gaming community, but with how technologically impressive the game is it feels like it got robbed of it's deserving nomination spot.

Like come on in how many video games can you do this

or this

Last edited:
I just think they should be in their own category.
The Tony's handles it well.
That's a really good idea, honestly. It would also clear up some genres to give more room to games that wouldn't otherwise get the attention. This year they probably don't need the extra space (looking at you, Sims/Strategy category), but some years are so packed it's hard to include everything that should be nominated.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
if you ever need a new DLC character, just use a character you hardly ever play as. It'll basically be a new character.

like, did you know they added Meta Knight?
I love just playing on random.
It's just a fricken fun game.
I didn't know how much I liked Corrin until 5 years after her release!

(Unrelated_ I see your name, and every time I realize that I havnt finished Steven Universe).

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
if you ever need a new DLC character, just use a character you hardly ever play as. It'll basically be a new character.

This is my go-to way of playing Smash these days.

One day I was choosing a character and was like, "oh yeah, Olimar is a thing", hardly ever play as him and as such very unfamiliar with how he works. Ended up playing as him the whole evening, the urge to get better just hits different with characters you usually don't touch.

I mostly just don't know what to do with him. Maybe it's because I'm weird, but his Smash 4 self clicked with me and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the character anymore. I never used him in Brawl, so that's probably why.

I always have characters that interest me but haven't clicked in my brain yet. It happened in Brawl with Dedede and in Smash 4 with Charizard. Eventually I grew to love them both, but it took years. Now it's Sheik and Luigi. In Luigi's case I just don't know the combo stuff and can't help but want his fireball to be more of a threat. I'm slowly chipping away at it, though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So uh

capcom leak update
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Not too surprising, now's about the right time to move onto Street Fighter 6.

What I'm really curious to see is what the Mega Man 11 development team has been cooking up since that game concluded development. I feel relatively confident it's finally X9, but I still want to know what it is.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not too surprising, now's about the right time to move onto Street Fighter 6.
Not really. Street Fighter V doesn't even have all of its DLC revealed, and won't have everything out until fall of next year.

I don't think this game was meant to go public for until 2022 at the earliest. Sounds like a big yikes from Capcom's perspective.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
here's hoping Capcom speed reveals everything they've got, to beat the leakers.

Hi, here's Street Fighter 6 Devil May Cry 6 Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition Special Edition Megaman x9 Megaman12ChillPenguinspinoffAceAttourney7Okami2ChillPenguininSmash goodbye!"

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So uh

capcom leak update
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Street Fighter VI better have Blanka-Chan at launch.

:4pacman:

Boooo where's Half-Life: Alyx? :glare:

It's absurd how a game that is a technical marvel that advances game design and sets a new standard for a medium doesn't get nominated for GOTY. Yeah I know VR isn't that popular among the general gaming community, but with how technologically impressive the game is it feels like it got robbed of it's deserving nomination spot.
I honestly think it comes down to VR not being that common just yet. Currently the medium's kinda comparable to where computers games were in the early 80s and mobile games were in the early 2000s. The technology's there, it just IMHO needs a price drop or two and a couple more games like Half-Life Alyx and it'll gain some more momentum.

I mostly just don't know what to do with him. Maybe it's because I'm weird, but his Smash 4 self clicked with me and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the character anymore. I never used him in Brawl, so that's probably why.

I always have characters that interest me but haven't clicked in my brain yet. It happened in Brawl with Dedede and in Smash 4 with Charizard. Eventually I grew to love them both, but it took years. Now it's Sheik and Luigi. In Luigi's case I just don't know the combo stuff and can't help but want his fireball to be more of a threat. I'm slowly chipping away at it, though.
Meta Knight's currently at a kinda weird spot, that I agree with - he does have a couple (semi)-reliable openers like Dash Attack and I'd argue F-Air / B-Air (especially when B-Air's used as drag-downs), and an surprisingly good defensive game owing to his quick attacks. But then again, his air speed is middle-of-the-pack at best (45th) and the damage racking isn't the best unless optimized, so it'll likely take a lot of attacks unless a gimp happens.

As for characters I can't seemingly get the hang of (but wouldn't mind trying out more): :ultrobin:. It kinda baffles me that I have a stronger grasp on how :ultsteve: 's durability system works, and my mind still kinda struggles with how long it takes for the tomes / Levin Sword to recharge.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

The way I became familiar with playing characters I usually don’t play was actually through Amiibo. I’ve been getting most all of the Smash ones, and I usually train them with the same character (and quite a bit after they reach level 50). So it’s a lot of ditto matches but I do learn some techniques with characters I hardly ever touch.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yeah, 2020 wasn't a particularly good year for fighting games, was it?

Also, quick rant: they put Persona 5 Royal up for nomination in Best RPG, but not Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition? It had better reviews than pretty much every other game in that category!
It came out in May, too late to get a nomination.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not really. Street Fighter V doesn't even have all of its DLC revealed, and won't have everything out until fall of next year.

I don't think this game was meant to go public for until 2022 at the earliest. Sounds like a big yikes from Capcom's perspective.
Season 5 wasn't even originally a thing at the beginning of the year, which is why the first character for it, Dan, is scheduled for this winter.

Combine that with Capcom Cup 2020, which wouldn't have allowed its winner a free spot for the finals of next year if complications due to COVID didn't outright cancel the Capcom Tour.

The last time that the winner wasn't given a free spot to the finals was in 2015, the last year that had Street Fighter IV before they moved on to V.

What this all tells us was that Street Fighter VI was originally scheduled for early to mid 2021, but complications caused delays, so they threw people a bone to gnaw their teeth on with Season 5 for SFV while they work on the next game.

Street Fighter VI was always a thing, all this leak does is tell us what we could already figure out on our own.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Season 5 wasn't even originally a thing at the beginning of the year, which is why the first character for it, Dan, is scheduled for this winter.

Combine that with Capcom Cup 2020, which wouldn't have allowed its winner a free spot for the finals of next year if complications due to COVID didn't outright cancel the Capcom Tour.

The last time that the winner wasn't given a free spot to the finals was in 2015, the last year that had Street Fighter IV before they moved on to V.

What this all tells us was that Street Fighter VI was originally scheduled for early to mid 2021, but complications caused delays, so they threw people a bone to gnaw their teeth on with Season 5 for SFV while they work on the next game.

Street Fighter VI was always a thing, all this leak does is tell us what we could already figure out on our own.
Still...It's probably not a great thing for a game they're not ready to show off yet to get leaked like this.

Did anyone think there wouldn't be a Street Fighter VI?
No, not for a while.

D

Deleted member

I was 2/3rd off on what games would be nominated for GOTY, but hot damn I wouldn't have expected Hades to get a good chunk of nominations this year. It actually looks like there's a possibility of an Indie Game winning GOTY this year, and I hope that's the case.

Also I only played Hades for under an hour so far, and I'm already thinking yeah Zagreus 4 Smash with a trailer that involves Palutena. It'd be fitting if he was revealed for CP8 at TGAs this year since the game was first unveiled in 2018's TGAs [as an Early Access title exclusive to Epic Games Store].

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Still...It's probably not a great thing for a game they're not ready to show off yet to get leaked like this.
To be fair, nothing has really leaked beyond the game's existence, something that almost everyone in the FGC had already agreed upon due to the evidence The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn had already brought up. This isn't like we're seeing gameplay that was never meant to go public. Hell, we aren't getting gameplay period, we're getting confirmation that a game most people were relatively confident existed is in development.

I definitely think Capcom's suits aren't happy about this for obvious reasons. However, of all the Capcom leaks that have come out thus far, this one is by far the most benign.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Anyone else find it interesting that Nintendo is giving so much attention to Hades so far?
Granted it is a Nintendo console exclusive right now, but I still find it neat nonetheless. Wouldn't surprise me if it got some minor love in Smash a la Warframe.
Maybe someone should make a Zagreus support thread if it hasn't already.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Reading the full list of the nominees for the Game Awards really showed me out of touch I am with a lot of where the emphasis is with modern gaming.

Like I'm really impressed by the financial success and insfruscture of e-sports and think they deserve real respect as professional competitors but viewing something like best e-sports coach as a category next to best RPG just feels weird to me.

And seeing nominees for best content creator and not recognizing a single face tells me my interests must really differ from the Twitch gaming sphere that I presume such people are dominating in.

Last edited:
Can we just talk about how Among Us has two nominations in 2020 despite being a 2018 game?
I thought of that too, but I think they're counting it because of the mobile version.

Kind of silly since they don't usually make that kind of allowance, but almost nobody knowing about the game before this year puts a weird wrench in the system.

Edit: I originally worded things very strangely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone else find it interesting that Nintendo is giving so much attention to Hades so far?
Granted it is a Nintendo console exclusive right now, but I still find it neat nonetheless. Wouldn't surprise me if it got some minor love in Smash a la Warframe.
Maybe someone should make a Zagreus support thread if it hasn't already.
It would surprise me considering it came out pretty recently and I'm pretty sure the entire roster for both Fighter's Passes were decided before Hades was even released on PC. It's not like they finished Byleth then sat down and went "Alright, who we doing for the next 6 DLC characters?".

EDIT: Plus, Nico & Hazel are the children of Hades/Pluto that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It would surprise me considering it came out pretty recently and I'm pretty sure the entire roster for both Fighter's Passes were decided before Hades was even released on PC. It's not like they finished Byleth then sat down and went "Alright, who we doing for the next 6 DLC characters?".

EDIT: Plus, Nico & Hazel are the children of Hades/Pluto that matter.
He was talking about for Spirits, which might not necessarily be decided at the same time.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The one time Xenoblade got nominated... and it lost to DLC...
Well, to be fair... it's ****ing Blood and Wine.

It might be a DLC if we're technical (though if anything, expansion would be a more proper description), but content wise a good amount companies would have charged 50/60 bucks for it: new and considerably big map, around 20 hours of a new main story, a lot of sidequests, new mechanics, new gwent deck, etc.
And that's only talking about content. In terms of quality it's amazing.

Not saying it was the right winner, but like Blood and Wine is basically the equivalent of Torna: Golden Country but on steroids. So it doesn't really surprise me that it won that year.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I thought of that too, but I think they're counting it because of the mobile version.

Kind of silly since they don't usually make that kind of allowance, but almost nobody knowing about the game before this year puts a weird wrench in the system.

Edit: I originally worded things very strangely.
That mobile version came out even earlier than the PC version tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom