• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

So either P5S will be at the game awards or there will be a Partner direct in January or February. Maybe even the return of General directs next year.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Between the long time for localization and the release of Age of Calamity, its a little hard to really get excited for Scramble, especially when there's an actual mainline Shin Megami Tensei title releasing around the same time.

I think P5S will probably do fine, but if its sales are underwhelming for the Switch version in the West Atlus will have no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Reading the full list of the nominees for the Game Awards really showed me out of touch I am with a lot of where the emphasis is with modern gaming.

Like I'm really impressed by the financial success and insfruscture of e-sports and think they deserve real respect as professional competitors but viewing something like best e-sports coach as a category next to best RPG just feels weird to me.

And seeing nominees for best content creator and not recognizing a single face tells me my interests must really differ from the Twitch gaming sphere that I presume such people are dominating in.
I do agree with the point that it's weird. To elaborate, as someone who's pretty well versed in the whole e-sports shebang:

TBF the e-sports categories are their own separated categories, so that's good. And also, it's become very much intertwined with how games are marketed and run in some cases... ...Buuuut e-sports as a whole is severely splintered between the many, many different games (and different companies). To name three examples of how competitive games are usually run:

• 1) League of Legends has rigid e-sports structures built around pro leagues and a yearly World Championship directly overseen by the devs.
  • 2) Counter-Strike's does not feature as much involvement from the devs as League, but Valve still sponsor yearly Majors and Counter-Strike has a long-running tournament infrastructure.
  • 3) Smash Bros. does not have as much direct involvement from Nintendo, instead competitions are mostly organized via grassroots or bigger tournament organizers like EVO.

Needless to say, it becomes really difficult to compare different games from each other. How do we compare success in lets say the CoD League - which began operations this year - with the more established LoL World Championship? Even if both the CoD and LoL systems fit under criteria 1 above? I'm naming these two since both events are involved in every single esports category at TGA.

For example: the "Best Esports Athlete" has its five nominees distributed as follows:

• A) Two members of the DAMWON LoL team: who ran through the South Korean league and subsuquently won the recent World Championships handidly.
  • B) Two members of the Dallas Empire CoD franchise: who placed really well consistently throughout the CoD League's 2020 season and won the Championship.
  • C) One member of the Team Vitality CS:GO team, who's had a dominant run through CS:GO's European circuit for the past year.

Again, how do you compare the five different players competing in three different games?

That practically unanswerable question is a major reason why TGA's esports awards (or other cross-game esports awards) are generally not viewed as definitive by the splintered esports crowd - even if it's fodder for discussion. As such, any attention they get dissipates rather quickly. That said, the e-sport industry has become a bonafide business of its own: the more major esports titles, including Smash, have attracted attention.

E-sports is also a very risky business because games can rise and fall in popularity and viability quickly: that's why most major esports teams will try to get into as many different games as possible and sport a very wide portfolio of teams. One example of this is Dallas Empire's owners Team Envy: Team Envy also have signed a Smash player, a couple streamers and a Halo team to name a few.

Also, the streamers? They can be (almost) completely separated from the e-sports side of things. I didn't recognize any of the streamers themselves, although the biggest streamers are usually signed by esports teams / orgs to operate on their own. I quickly checked two of the streamers' Wiki pages, and yes they were signed by major esports teams.

... Oh, right e-sports players as well as streamers often promote the sponsors (in)directly. For example: Red Bull sponsors a Smash player directly. So yeah.

So either P5S will be at the game awards or there will be a Partner direct in January or February. Maybe even the return of General directs next year.
We'll just have to see by the time TGA rolls around if that release date is indeed correct.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Playing through World of Adventure and working on Spirits again, reminds me of how I wish there was a Alternate/Custom color maker sometimes. And it expanded into the Spirit gameplay with the Spirits' characters using a color palette similar to the Spirit's artwork and whatnot.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Can we just talk about how Among Us has two nominations in 2020 despite being a 2018 game?
NGL I wouldn't mind if Among Us was up for GotY. Game's legit fantastic and no one even knew it existed until this year, so it might as well have come out this year. :drshrug:

Now, on that note, Crewmate/Impostor for Smash. Just look at them:

they just a bean

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
NGL I wouldn't mind if Among Us was up for GotY. Game's legit fantastic and no one even knew it existed until this year, so it might as well have come out this year. :drshrug:

Now, on that note, Crewmate/Impostor for Smash. Just look at them:

they just a bean
You know, that one video about potential Assist Trophies by Brawlfan1 makes me wonder just how they would incorporate the Crewmate/Imposter as a playable character. Most hypothetical movesets reference the tasks and the kill animations, but would that really be true to Among Us? It's hard to say...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You know, that one video about potential Assist Trophies by Brawlfan1 makes me wonder just how they would incorporate the Crewmate/Imposter as a playable character. Most hypothetical movesets reference the tasks and the kill animations, but would that really be true to Among Us? It's hard to say...
I fully agree with Brawlfan1 on that.

Among Us is about the deception and the mystery. Making a moveset that combines task and kill animations doesn't really represent that aspect of the game. If anything, it's a disservice to the game to combine both roles for one moveset.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You Know, on the Topic of Assist Trophies

Are there any Assist Trophies you think are Currently Doomed to be an Assist (or other NPC Roles like Costume, Spirits, Bosses) for Smash in the Future (So Smash 6 and onward)

I Also say currently because I'm Only taking into account stuff we currently know (like how Waluigi does not have his own game)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Are there any Assist Trophies you think are Currently Doomed to be an Assist (or other NPC Roles like Costume, Spirits, Bosses) for Smash in the Future (So Smash 6 and onward)

I Also say currently because I'm Only taking into account stuff we currently know (like how Waluigi does not have his own game)
Samurai Goroh, I’d think

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Among Us is about the deception and the mystery. Making a moveset that combines task and kill animations doesn't really represent that aspect of the game. If anything, it's a disservice to the game to combine both roles for one moveset.
This is the problem I have with adding Zoroark, as its Illusion ability would do nothing as a standalone fighter. It could work when integrated into a Pokémon Trainer's moveset, but that's not really an option unless the Pokémon Trainer were to be reworked.

I could see the Imposter working as some sort of duo fighter with ambiguous shenanigans or some sort of Crewmate summoning mechanic for the same effect, but it definitely would be incredibly difficult to conceptualize beyond the basics.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

For one, the Moon because how the %$#@ are you supposed to make a hunk of space rock hurling towards the earth work in a fighting game

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Anyone without major fan demand or relevance. Even with one or the other, they could still stay as Assist Trophies. Characters that people want, but will most likely stay as they are are:
  • Krystal (at least for a while)
  • Midna
  • Ashley
  • Ghirahim
  • Skull Kid
  • Lyn (mostly because of rotating cast syndrome, but Fire Emblem hate factors in as well)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yuri Kozukata would remain an AT too, how you gonna work the Camera Obscura into a playable moveset?

plus, the AT’s visual effect is a perfect way of representing Fatal Frame

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
IDK about y'all, but I expect 3 more CPs after Vol. 2 as well as an echo fighter between now and the end of Vol. 3 bundled with one of the CPs. I'm trying to account for Box Theory, which is why I'm thinking 3 CPs instead of 4.
I don’t see how Box Theory plays into DLC tho??

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yuri Kozukata would remain an AT too, how you gonna work the Camera Obscura into a playable moveset?

plus, the AT’s visual effect is a perfect way of representing Fatal Frame
I'm actually pretty interested by that concept. Maybe have her use awkward, panicky melee attacks for her normals and have the camera largely contained to her specials, maybe modify a lens into a grab if possible. I haven't played Fatal Frame (And with my lack of tolerance to horror games, I probably never will), but I think Yuri could be pretty cool if done right. Any Fatal Frame fans out there with a concept they could pitch?

That being said, I do think her Assist's pretty cool.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
IDK about y'all, but I expect 3 more CPs after Vol. 2 as well as an echo fighter between now and the end of Vol. 3 bundled with one of the CPs. I'm trying to account for Box Theory, which is why I'm thinking 3 CPs instead of 4.
What makes you so sure?

For all we know we could try an Echo Pack consisting of 4 Echos.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Box theory has nothing to do with it. Box theory was true and was also finished with the announcement of Ken and Incineroar and that was the end of that.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai and Nintendo don't care whether or not the CSS is a perfect rectangle.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord

There was talks in the Among Us support thread about that actually, along with a neat fighter concept where their moveset is identical except for the special moves. Two different sets of special moves depending on if you're a Crewmate or an Impostor, whose identity would be ambiguous until they use a special attack. There was also talks about letting the player freely choose Crewmate or Impostor in secrecy whenever they're KO'd.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There was talks in the Among Us support thread about that actually, along with a neat fighter concept where their moveset is identical except for the special moves. Two different sets of special moves depending on if you're a Crewmate or an Impostor, whose identity would be ambiguous until they use a special attack. There was also talks about letting the player freely choose Crewmate or Impostor in secrecy whenever they're KO'd.
Now THAT can be a fun moveset concept that represents the game.

Being able to control which side you get wouldn't really be accurate to the source material, but it would represent the core values of the game, since only you would know what you have, so it's a good creative liberty.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Uh, yeah, almost all of them.

I think only a handful of them have any hope of ever being playable:
Krystal
Bomberman
Alucard
Isaac
Shadow
Zero
Shovel Knight
Waluigi
Black Knight
Springman
Lyn

And even most of those it's an extremely small chance.

Calane

Smash Ace
Uh, yeah, almost all of them.

I think only a handful of them have any hope of ever being playable:
Krystal
Bomberman
Alucard
Isaac
Shadow
Zero
Shovel Knight
Waluigi
Black Knight
Springman
Lyn

And even most of those it's an extremely small chance.
I'd say Takamaru also has a small chance of becoming playable one day. I think it completely depends on if Murasame Castle ever gets a new game or not, though. The chances of that happening are slim, but if it ever does, I could see the samurai finally getting his chance.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I giggle every time I read the phrase, "They will get in next Smash."
I must be on the same laughing gas as people who think the roster can infinitely expand.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now THAT can be a fun moveset concept that represents the game.

Being able to control which side you get wouldn't really be accurate to the source material, but it would represent the core values of the game, since only you would know what you have, so it's a good creative liberty.
I kinda disagree as one major difference from Smash 4 to Ultimate is making everything more readable with the UI so a character who flatout ignores this major QoL addition to many of the cast feels out of place

Shroob

Sup?
I like Among Us as much as the next guy, but I'd also like to give it a bit of time before we seriously consider it for Smash tbh. Nothing wrong with speculating about it, of course, but the game really only blew up this year despite being 2 years old now, and while it's amazing how big it got, and even I enjoy playing it(In a group, pubs are miserable), I'm not 100% convinced yet it's not a passing fad like soo many games before it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
even I enjoy playing it
I love this wording because it makes you sound like an overly snobby Gamer who insists you call them a connoisseur
I'd like to know which demographic they were planning to draw in with this ad.
I mean. This is pretty basic kids humor in France considering the incredibly crass humour their children comics tend to have.

Shroob

Sup?
I love this wording because it makes you sound like an overly snobby Gamer who insists you call them a connoisseur

I mean. This is pretty basic kids humor in France considering the incredibly crass humour their children comics tend to have.
Mostly it's more to do with me hating phone controls, and having to play Imposter on phone suuuuuuuuucks. Trying to walk while pressing the Sabotage button causes me to stop on a dime all the time, which always gives me away lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Mostly it's more to do with me hating phone controls, and having to play Imposter on phone suuuuuuuuucks. Trying to walk while pressing the Sabotage button causes me to stop on a dime all the time, which always gives me away lol.
Oh that's just a fact, when I first played on mobile, someone used my control struggles as evidence I was the imposter to which literally everyone voted me off after the first kill. I wasn't even the imposter and that was the one game that entire session I wasn't killed first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom