• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Out of the 75 assist trophies that have been featured in Smash, only three of them have ever been made playable in later installments.

Damn.
More the reason assist promotions in the same game is wishful thinking and people have to wait until Smash 6 for the likes of Waluigi, and Isaac.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
More the reason assist promotions in the same game is wishful thinking and people have to wait until Smash 6 for the likes of Waluigi, and Isaac.
If anything, I feel like it means assist promotions in general are wishful thinking unless something major happens for them (like Little Mac getting a new game after Brawl).

Alternatively, if they can also cut corners and work as a glorified alt cos-I mean, echo fighter. This is the only reason Dark Samus is playable in Ultimate, after all lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Really hope Doom Eternal takes GotY. I don’t really feel like TLOU2 and FFVII really deserve it tbh. The other ones are good choices though.
I can agree with you 100% on TLOU2 not deserving it
You guys ain't alone.

TLoU: Part II is bad fanfiction in the form of a game. People are just too blinded by the cinematic graphics to notice the bad story and writing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You guys ain't alone.

TLoU: Part II is bad fanfiction in the form of a game. People are just too blinded by the cinematic graphics to notice the bad story and writing.
And according to Resetera, if you dont like the game, you are transphobic and Homophobic
Resetera stay thinking stupid🤷‍♀️ I dont like the game because I just dont like the game and its out of order story telling

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Its actually all subtle hints to the release of Super Smash Bros Alternate the spin-off game where all the assist trophies are playable and all the Ultimate fighters are assist trophies.

Chef Kawasaki will sadly not be nerfed for some time until after launch.
(Waluigi picks up the assist trophies of Mario, Luigi and Wario)

Waluigi: Look who got snubbed now, losers!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I kinda disagree as one major difference from Smash 4 to Ultimate is making everything more readable with the UI so a character who flatout ignores this major QoL addition to many of the cast feels out of place
Hmm. That is a good point. Luckily, we do have a character that kinda sorta has this mechanic already as a frame of reference: Mii Fighters.

The Mii Fighters have 81 (I think) potential load-outs that they can have, and online (or if you haven't used the Mii in a while), there's no real way of knowing what they have until they use it, and they have to reveal each Special Move they have individually. This one definitely could have used a UI element for everyone's benefit.

The Crewmate/Imposter would have 2 potential load-outs that can be picked at the start of the match, and while it isn't displayed to the players, the pick is known to the player playing as that character. Players that aren't the Crewmate/Imposter would know what Special Moves they could have, and the second they use a Special Move for any reason, you will know which role they are, and all of the precautions you take to avoid getting smacked by the other kit become unnecessary (the UI could even update once it's revealed that the character is the Imposter). Once the character gets K.O.'ed though, the role could switch, but you won't know if it has or not, repeating the cycle.

I personally think the biggest issue here is communicating how to pick roles without showing everyone which role was picked. Whether or not this mechanic sounds reasonable or stupid though is probably a matter of personal opinion.

Michael: people who like what I no like are dumb
Also Michael: who would accuse people with bad stuff over a video game?!
I think he was more lamenting about people who assume you're bigoted for not liking a piece of media. In which case there's no hypocrisy there.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey, have we established if those SKUs mean anything? Apparently, a new batch popped up recently, and they're all up for pre-order:
Dunno, but they certainly don't mean anything specific. The most it could tell us is that the Switch is getting 3 more retail games soon.

EDIT: And also one of them's ~$110? What?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dunno, but they certainly don't mean anything specific. The most it could tell us is that the Switch is getting 3 more retail games soon.

EDIT: And also one of them's ~$110? What?
Could be another “Pokémon Sword/Shield Premium Edition” type deal with the game AND DLC on the same cart

maybe... Splatoon 2 with the Octo Expansion on cart as well?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Could be another “Pokémon Sword/Shield Premium Edition” type deal with the game AND DLC on the same cart

maybe... Splatoon 2 with the Octo Expansion on cart as well?
Pokémon Sword + DLC seems to be ~$80, so unless it's both versions bundled together or something, I doubt it would be that.

Octo Expansion costs even less than Pokémon's DLC and there aren't multiple versions so it's definitely not that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pokémon Sword + DLC seems to be ~$80, so unless it's both versions bundled together or something, I doubt it would be that.

Octo Expansion costs even less than Pokémon's DLC and there aren't multiple versions so it's definitely not that.
Didn’t the Ring Fit Adventure bundle cost close to that? That’s the only other thing I can think of, but it would of course have to be something new

a new game paired with a new peripheral

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Out of the 75 assist trophies that have been featured in Smash, only three of them have ever been made playable in later installments.

Damn.
Yes, but a portion of them weren't really characters people were asking to be playable anyway, no matter how many Color TV-Game 15 supporters try to tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Didn’t the Ring Fit Adventure bundle cost close to that? That’s the only other thing I can think of, but it would of course have to be something new

The only other thing I can think of is BOTW2 getting a Collector's Edition, but at this point, I'm starting to think BOTW2 is a myth...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t hate TLoU2 like some people do but like FFVII I was disappointed in it so it’s not my choice for game of the year. That’s all.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The Ring Fit Adventure bundle seems to be $80 as well.

I feel like it can't really be anything other than a bundle of two $60 games since it's more expensive than your average collection, game + DLC, and game + peripheral.

Unless it's...Super Smash Bros. Ultimate + DLC? With the two passes and the Mii Costumes, that could actually reach that kinda price. I don't think any ultimate edition of a fighting game has ever hiked up the price like that though...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think for sheer originality and quality of content Ghost of Tsushima and Hades deserve GOTY more than anything else.

I'll be honest some part of me wouldn't mind Animal Crossing winning for the reaction, but its hard to look at its initial lack of features in favor of a gradual rollout or comparison to previous games and not finding certain things lacking.

Everything else (FFVII Remake, Last of Us II, & Doom Eternal) falls into solid but unspectacular territory to me.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I guess we'll add TLOU2 to the list of conversations we'll constantly cycle back to despite never actually being discussed in the context of "what if it was in Smash?"
They actually do have a Support Thread here. It's uh..... kinda barren though. (Even some of the other Playstation exclusive character support threads like Kratos and the general Playstation one have more than 10 posts, obviously I don't imagine many people believe they're likely is the reason why they're so barren to begin with). Also the Ellie one chose this really bad color for text so you can only see the text clearly if you highlight it?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Ring Fit Adventure bundle seems to be $80 as well.

I feel like it can't really be anything other than a bundle of two $60 games since it's more expensive than your average collection, game + DLC, and game + peripheral.

Unless it's...Super Smash Bros. Ultimate + DLC? With the two passes and the Mii Costumes, that could actually reach that kinda price. I don't think any ultimate edition of a fighting game has ever hiked up the price like that though...
Might be a bit too soon for that at this point in time tho

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think for sheer originality and quality of content Ghost of Tsushima and Hades deserve GOTY more than anything else.

I'll be honest some part of me wouldn't mind Animal Crossing winning for the reaction, but its hard to look at its initial lack of features in favor of a gradual rollout or comparison to previous games and not finding certain things lacking.

Everything else (FFVII Remake, Last of Us II, & Doom Eternal) falls into solid but unspectacular territory to me.
This is pretty much my line of thinking regarding this year's TGA. GoT is the one I respect the most because of its launch state, Hades is the one I'd want to win on a personal level and AC is the one I want to win just to see the world burn. :roll:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don’t hate TLoU2 like some people do but like FFVII I was disappointed in it so it’s not my choice for game of the year. That’s all.
That's completely okay. It's a completely valid point and no one should have a problem with that

Is just that everytime TLOU2 gets mentioned in the thread is usually because someone has the sudden need of reminding the rest of the thread "how bad it is", which is a bit tiring by the way, and discussions about the game always end similarly.

We've reached to the point that it's pointless to talk about the game because the 5 or 6 users that always participate in those discussions (myself included) have already stated their points of view multiple times through all this time. That's why I feel that bringing back this topic is a waste of time, not because we can't debate but because it's pretty obvious no one will change their mind, not to say that this isn't really the best place to discuss this.

Like, it's understandable that TLOU2 gets some mentions because it's a popular game and all, but sometimes this seems the "Last of Us Speculation Thread" rather than "Newcomer Speculation Thread". And yes, I'm aware that I have part of fault for that lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They actually do have a Support Thread here. It's uh..... kinda barren though. (Even some of the other Playstation exclusive character support threads like Kratos and the general Playstation one have more than 10 posts, obviously I don't imagine many people believe they're likely is the reason why they're so barren to begin with). Also the Ellie one chose this really bad color for text so you can only see the text clearly if you highlight it?
I meant in this thread specifically because it's not the only time this month it's been brkught up

Anyway we all know TGA is a sham because Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 isn't on every category

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The only thing I'll say is that Sony and Naughty Dog are fools for not taking advantage of the LoU2 debates via putting out Playstation All Stars 2 and featuring characters from it.

Hard to be angry about the controversy if you can have Ellie get into knock down drag out fights with Parappa the Rapper after all.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Everyone taking about Last of Us II, but I'm disappointed about another Xenoblade game being snubbed. I genuinely believe the people behind the show hate the Xenoblade franchise at this rate.
X got nominated... but that’s it. 2 was too late for nominations, Torna was probably too short, XCDE is a remaster, and TGA didn’t exist when vanilla Xenoblade came out on Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom