• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Uhh, I don’t think they would’ve been able to do that much specific voice acting for TGA if it was last minute. That’s without mentioning the planning for the lighting team, sound team, camera team, and Geoff himself that had to have gone into the reveal.

I dunno where that idea that Joker was last minute came from.
Well, it was mentioned that Nintendo approached Sakurai and said "we want to reveal Joker at The Game Awards" before Sakurai had even started development on the character, so that's probably where the idea comes from.

The reveal was very much planned in advance, it was just that Sakurai wasn't prepared enough to reveal gameplay at that time.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, it was mentioned that Nintendo approached Sakurai and said "we want to reveal Joker at The Game Awards" before Sakurai had even started development on the character, so that's probably where the idea comes from.

The reveal was very much planned in advance, it was just that Sakurai wasn't prepared enough to reveal gameplay at that time.
To be fair: when Nintendo/Sakurai say something was planned "last minute", they likely mean a month or two before TGA, not the week prior.

Doing a trailer like that in one month is incredibly last minute from a development perspective, after all. Big studios usually plan their big PR stunts months and months in advance using roadmaps.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Wouldn't mind such a patch at all. There are still a couple of moves that IIRC refuse to work properly. To name some examples:

* Ganondorf has blindspots everywhere. For example, Up Smash has a blindspot right in front of him.

Nintendo storms into my room.

"...What, buff :ultganondorf: you say?!"

View attachment 291092

:4pacman:

* IIRC Samus' jab doesn't link properly, and people can escape that before the second hit connects. Fixing that would be nice for her.

* Huh, didn't know that :ultpiranha: 's Back Air takes a really long time to finish. Improving the recovery frames there would help it quite a bit.

* :ultisabelle: could really use a buff to her Fishing Rod. Either make it effective vs. shields or make sure it comes out a bit faster. I mean, Steve has come along and brought a faster Fishing Rod, so I don't see much of a point in leaving Isabelle's like this.

* :ultolimar: could really benefit from a UI element a la Cloud's Limit Meter. While I strongly doubt they'll add it in a smaller patch, such a UI element (using Pikmin's bubbles to display the Pikmin in turn) would be very helpful, especially for say casual Olimar players since the only indication of which Pikmin is next is a tiny colored arrow above the Pikmin next in line. Wario likewise could use a UI element - either for his Bike (which has a 6 sec cooldown whenever destroyed) or Waft (not everyone's going to remember that Waft takes 2 minutes to fully charge).
I agree with these. :ultganondorf: in particular is long overdue for buffs - Isabelle and Plant have at least gotten buffs in past patches. Ganondorf is just sitting there, never having gotten anything while his nair still doesn't link both hits properly, dash attack has no hitbox during the ending animation of the move while he's stuck in said animation, bair is tiny, Wizard's Foot is a burst option that seems like it should armor through things but is instead stopped by the smallest of projectiles, he has no kill throw while every other super heavy has one (and some have even picked up more as patches have gone on), all while also having the worst recovery in the game (Little Mac's Side B makes even his recovery better, and if you still think Mac's is worse, Ganon's is not exactly much of a step up).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Considering how Joker's first line was, "This is Joker. I've infiltrated the theater," I don't think this was something they decided on doing literally the week before.

"Last minute" could actually be a month or two before the reveal.

So the Geno thread mentioned that Nintendo hasn’t tweeted at all today? I deleted Twitter off my phone the other day but let me just uhhh

checks on laptop

holy ****, they really haven’t. Last tweet was the rewind video...
I mean, it wouldn't necessarily be odd if they didn't post anything today of all days.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I mean, it wouldn't necessarily be odd if they didn't post anything today of all days.
While I agree, I don't know why today in particular isn't odd. I'm living under a rock; was something supposed to happen today, or was there some major event some years ago?
In other OTHER news I see this place is starting to slow down again....

if this is ANOTHER DDOS attempt I’m throwing hands bruh
Oh. Thank goodness it's just this site. I thought my internet was slowing down for a sec...

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We need something to talk about
Uh
Uuuuuuuh

How many of your most wanteds have something named after them? Because Reimu has a flower named after her, just throwing that out there.

Yes, that's a thing. If you have any doubts, just look up "Reimu flower" and see what happens.
While I agree, I don't know why today in particular isn't odd. I'm living under a rock; was something supposed to happen today, or was there some major event some years ago?
Election day. And by election day, I mean doomsday.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Uh
Uuuuuuuh

How many of your most wanteds have something named after them? Because Reimu has a flower named after her, just throwing that out there.

Yes, that's a thing. If you have any doubts, just look up "Reimu flower" and see what happens.

One of my most wanted shares a name with a Final Fantasy X-2 NPC and a dragon girl from some anime lul

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Uh
Uuuuuuuh

One: Zero.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Have maintenances ever once meant something?!

Every time this thread has hyped themselves up over maintenances it has always ended in disappointment
This thread almost never complies with the boundaries of precedence.
Example: every character DLC from Smash Ultimate

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
This thread almost never complies with the boundaries of precedence.
Example: every character DLC from Smash Ultimate
What do you mean by this exactly? I think most people speculate within the precedent set by the 7 DLC characters, for the most part. Take the fact that they have all been from a series that has no fighters in the game and have all been the protagonists of their games. I think most speculated characters, with a few exceptions of course, follow that pattern pretty closely.

When people ignore precedent it seems to be because they want it broken because precedent means bad things for their most wanted. But I think most people are reasonable and can accept that things are more likely to remain the same than change.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Crono - Chronology
Ark - Noah's Ark

That's about all I got.

Never mind, I got nothing.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Election Day aside, what’s more notable is that NoJ hasn’t tweeted since Sunday

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Uh
Uuuuuuuh

" Sonic hedgehog (Shh), the most widely characterized of the Hedgehog homologs, is essential for proper embryonic development and plays important roles in many cancers. The discovery of small-molecule modulators of Shh signaling provides an avenue to regulate the activity of a pathway implicated in medulloblastoma, basal cell carcinoma, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer and developmental disorders. Small-molecule inhibition of extracellular proteins that activate membrane receptors has proven to be extremely challenging. None of the reported synthetic Shh pathway inhibitors are known to target the extracellular protein Shh protein itself. Therefore, scientists at Harvard University use a target-based discovery method to provide a new approach to identify novel modulators of upstream Shh signaling.

Robotnikinin inhibits the induction of the Shh pathway. The discovery of robotnikinin has provided a powerful small molecule probe of an important signaling pathway involving a step in the pathway not previously accessible to small-molecule modulation. Robotnikinin will be especially valuable as a probe of diseases associated with aberrant Shh pathway activity." - Yelena Bisharyan

Tl;dr - the Sonic Hedgehog protein causes certain cancers to grow and spread. It is so named because it has a spiky appearance. Robotnikinin was so named because it hinders the molecule's ability to do its job. Robotnikinin is used in the treatment of certain cancers. I actually take a daily dosage of it to keep the incurable cancer I have at bay.

Source of the quotes

SciShow episode on the Sonic hedgehog protein

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't know if we're getting a BlazBlue or Guilty Gear fighter, but if we do (whoever it is), there is no way they can go wrong with the music..
Well

they will have to censor that one Sol Badguy theme but other than that...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Could you clarify what you're saying here please? Do you disagree with my theory about Byleth not being shown off at TGA?
I was saying- I think Byleth was incredibly troublesome of a reveal, that even Nintendo seemed to acknowledge was not going to be receive well.

Yet, contrary to the evidence I stated- I cannot actually find a place in my heart that believes Nintendo would have entirely chosen the character if they felt it would be received so poorly as to be embarrassed to show it.

Then again... what was that 2004 or so E3, with the Wii music game?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
" Sonic hedgehog (Shh), the most widely characterized of the Hedgehog homologs, is essential for proper embryonic development and plays important roles in many cancers. The discovery of small-molecule modulators of Shh signaling provides an avenue to regulate the activity of a pathway implicated in medulloblastoma, basal cell carcinoma, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer and developmental disorders. Small-molecule inhibition of extracellular proteins that activate membrane receptors has proven to be extremely challenging. None of the reported synthetic Shh pathway inhibitors are known to target the extracellular protein Shh protein itself. Therefore, scientists at Harvard University use a target-based discovery method to provide a new approach to identify novel modulators of upstream Shh signaling.

Robotnikinin inhibits the induction of the Shh pathway. The discovery of robotnikinin has provided a powerful small molecule probe of an important signaling pathway involving a step in the pathway not previously accessible to small-molecule modulation. Robotnikinin will be especially valuable as a probe of diseases associated with aberrant Shh pathway activity." - Yelena Bisharyan

Tl;dr - the Sonic Hedgehog protein causes certain cancers to grow and spread. It is so named because it has a spiky appearance. Robotnikinin was so named because it hinders the molecule's ability to do its job. Robotnikinin is used in the treatment of certain cancers. I actually take a daily dosage of it to keep the incurable cancer I have at bay.

Source of the quotes

SciShow episode on the Sonic hedgehog protein
Huh. Think I've heard of the Sonic protein, but not the Robotnik one. That's pretty clever, actually.

Also,
I actually take a daily dosage of it to keep the incurable cancer I have at bay.
Didn't know you were dealing with that. That sucks. Good luck with that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So the Geno thread mentioned that Nintendo hasn’t tweeted at all today? I deleted Twitter off my phone the other day but let me just uhhh

checks on laptop

holy ****, they really haven’t. Last tweet was the rewind video...
Oh jesus Christ.... There is NOTHING odd about that

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
How would you guys feel if non-gaming characters were allowed in, but with a caveat: they need to have had a significant or otherwise notable precense in gaming... and their moveset needs to come frome ONE of those said games (or game series) and cannot be a Frankenstein of different series. They'd need to feel like they're from a video game. Let me give a few examples...
What is OKAY! :terryhat:
What is not okay...
  • Wolverine pulling from the Marvel Vs. Capcom series and ONLY the Marvel Vs. Capcom series.
  • Batman having a moveset solely based on his Arkham games.
  • Naruto only pulling from the Ultimate Ninja Storm series.
  • Sam & Max pulling from Sam & Max Hit the Road.
  • James Bond utilizing things from Goldeneye 007.
  • Leonardo from TMNT pulling from both Turtles Through Time and Mutants in Manhattan (and Injustice).
  • Spongebob pulling from Battle for Bikini Bottom and Super Sponge.
  • Goku pulling from every game he's been in.
  • Mickey Mouse pulling from Kingdom Hearts, Castle of Illusion, Disney Infinity, AND Epic Mickey.
  • Shrek using stuff from Shrek Super Slam.... in addition to Shrek: Extra Large.
I think most of us, myself included, dislike the idea of non-vidya characters getting in (it'll likely never happen too, as it is the only point that Soccer Guy has made clear), but...
Most people are watching out for the election while I'm here waiting to see if we get a deconfirmation tonight.
Both will lead to massive dissapointment.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Most people are watching out for the election while I'm here waiting to see if we get a deconfirmation tonight.
Or you're like me, and debating when would be a good time to start Christmas shopping this year...

Anyway, we had two tournaments in a row, didn't we? Maybe we'll get SOMETHING Spirit-related?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Or you're like me, and debating when would be a good time to start Christmas shopping this year...

Anyway, we had two tournaments in a row, didn't we? Maybe we'll get SOMETHING Spirit-related?
God I can only hope

if we get another tourney or recurring spirit event (I.e. no new Spirits) I will literally scream mark my words

idec if one of my most wanted gets deconfirmed from it, I’m that desperate for new blood!!

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Omnimon needs to be in smash

Why?

cause he looks cool thats it

I don't have it written down anywhere, but my conceptual moveset for Agumon has Omnimon as a Final Smash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well

I guess you're talking of Smell of the Game.
To be honest there are a few songs they would have to censor. If they pick said songs, of course.

Like this one. Which I really hope they add if by some miracle Sol gets in.

Also this one I guess

And at least a few? of the new tracks for Strive would probably be censored if they also picked those.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I would love it if we got Agumon. I grew up with Digimon and Agumon would be one of the only 8 characters I would die from hype if he were to be announced.

At this point though, I would be perfectly happy if we got Phoenix Wright and Crash.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Well

I guess you're talking of Smell of the Game.
To be honest there are a few songs they would have to censor. If they pick said songs, of course.

Like this one. Which I really hope they add if by some miracle Sol gets in.

Also this one I guess

And at least a few? of the new tracks for Strive would probably be censored if they also picked those.
I feel that you guys are forgetting someone.

1604445847740.png

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I would love it if we got Agumon. I grew up with Digimon and Agumon would be one of the only 8 characters I would die from hype if he were to be announced.

At this point though, I would be perfectly happy if we got Phoenix Wright and Crash.
It's weird that people forgot that Digimon and also Agumon even existed they're basically the equivalent of SNK's Fatal Fury/King of Fighters VS Capcom's Street Fighter, a rivalry that ended years ago but still remember fondly. Now everyone start requesting Dark Souls and Tales of character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom