• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Spirit Event: Characters with masks.

NOTHING NEW
It's nice to see them taking precautions against the pandemic even as Spirits.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ah I see. Yea, it's hard to know what's going on in their heads. I still feel like they would figure that maybe TGA wasn't the best place to show off Byleth.
I don't think there was an appropriate place to show off Byleth. The only logical explanation is that they figured the benefits of adding the character outweighed the detractions. I personally think the 'any RPG or Monster Hunter character could fill the same niche' argument is.... incredibly accurate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Fair points, but I really wasn't thinking in terms of what Smash fans would enjoy, but rather non-Nintendo fans which are in abundance at TGA. I certainly don't think no one would've been excited by Byleth, but they really aren't the way to draw in NEW consumers like Joker was. I feel a decent portion of the viewers' reactions would've been "who?"
Did everyone forget Fire Emblem was the Nintendo game with the most awards last year? :nifty:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What do you mean by this exactly? I think most people speculate within the precedent set by the 7 DLC characters, for the most part. Take the fact that they have all been from a series that has no fighters in the game and have all been the protagonists of their games. I think most speculated characters, with a few exceptions of course, follow that pattern pretty closely.

When people ignore precedent it seems to be because they want it broken because precedent means bad things for their most wanted. But I think most people are reasonable and can accept that things are more likely to remain the same than change.
I just don't understand anything you said.
:ultpiranha: ... yeah no words needed
:ultjoker: Never saw once speculated on this thread. Also, "not on Nintendo at all." Even though Sakurai praised the game and organized the entire menu around him. Also... female ponytail wasn't a thing.
:ulthero3:....wasn't Erdrick. Was Leaked. Maybe commented on, but not in the USA.
:ultbanjokazooie: "Haha, sure. That will happen." Some had hope. I'll give that. Those with hope didn't seem sincerely in belief.
:ult_terry: Didn't read his name once.
:ultbyleth: "Fire Emblem isn't gonna happen. I mean, we all know this."
:ultminmin I personally argued that Min Min was getting in since 2018. I'm positive this thread overall thought Spring Man was a protagonist. In fact, even in what I quoted, despite a direct comment about there being no protagonists, we still refer to this incorrectly overall. "ARMS has no protagonists." This just isn't true. In ARMS, for Nintendo, in the fandom, in your quotation above. Just completely ignored. People listen to what they want.
(Steve) Most popular video game of all time. Before release, and even now, several posts per page think we need more in less than a week later.

Sorry. This thread doesn't have any credibility if we base it on statistical precedent. I think it's closer to say it's 'never been correct' than 'been correct usually...or even once.'

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wait, was it really the only Nintendo game to get more than one award?

I'm just gonna blame that on Western bias...
Yeah, the West is the part of the world wrongfully obsessed with Fire Emblem. *Insert intense eye roll, insert comment into above comment about how this thread is illogical

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, the West is the part of the world wrongfully obsessed with Fire Emblem. *Insert intense eye roll, insert comment into above comment about how this thread is illogical
Pretty sure they meant more Nintendo games should've got multiple awards.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just because Sakurai keeps putting them in doesn't mean there's anything wrong with liking Fire Emblem. Just being an FE fanboy who thinks it should outnumber literally everything on the Smash roster.
I'm allowed to have my opinion, thanks. And I believe in statistics, and precedence. Which was my above post. I think it's objective that the singular character with 4 echoes, essentially, is Marth. I'd comment the same on any series. I bought Awakening and Three Houses just to try to understand how Sakurai represented Fire Emblem. It's just not sensible in my brain.

Please don't respond to this. I'm not responding to an argument that is based in fact and responded to in emotion any longer. Your post contributes as little as does mine.

Pretty sure they meant more Nintendo games should've got multiple awards.
...my point was that there are many awards for gaming, and that there wasn't a specific ceremony referenced.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

dude what

I don't understand how that contradicts anything I've said? That doesn't mean non-Nintendo fans would know who Byleth is or would want to buy a Switch to play as them in Smash.
When you hear the name several times announced in the awards ceremony it's got enough prevalence IMO.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just don't understand anything you said.
:ultpiranha: ... yeah no words needed
:ultjoker: Never saw once speculated on this thread. Also, "not on Nintendo at all." Even though Sakurai praised the game and organized the entire menu around him. Also... female ponytail wasn't a thing.
:ulthero3:....wasn't Erdrick. Was Leaked. Maybe commented on, but not in the USA.
:ultbanjokazooie: "Haha, sure. That will happen." Some had hope. I'll give that. Those with hope didn't seem sincerely in belief.
:ult_terry: Didn't read his name once.
:ultbyleth: "Fire Emblem isn't gonna happen. I mean, we all know this."
:ultminmin I personally argued that Min Min was getting in since 2018. I'm positive this thread overall thought Spring Man was a protagonist. In fact, even in what I quoted, despite a direct comment about there being no protagonists, we still refer to incorrectly.
(Steve) Most popular video game of all time. Before release, and even now, several posts per page think we need more.

Sorry. This thread doesn't have any credibility if we base it on statistical precedent. I think it's closer to say it's 'never been correct' than 'been correct usually...or even once.'
-Agreed on Piranha Plant, Joker, and Terry
-Erdrick was considered the best shot for Dragon Quest, but we got taken off-guard with no less than four iterations of the Hero across the franchise. I'm willing to give a free pass on that one, though admittedly they were leaked.
-Banjo had some degree of hope from what I've heard, fueled by Phil's approval, but he was mostly overshadowed by Steve.
-Byleth was a tossup. Part of it was from pessimism, and part of it was from the lack of Spirit Event, but most people thought they would have to be next pass.
-Min Min was ignored because everyone though ARMS was dead. After that, there was a split between Spring Man and Min Min, being protagonist vs popularity. Keep in mind this was before the ensemble cast statement.
-Steve was admittedly passed over in favor of the pie-in-the-sky character, Master Chief, but there were still a couple of them here and there.

I think it's a bit unfair to say that the thread has no credibility, seeing as there's a lot of users floating around, each with their own opinions, standards, and information. We're not a hivemind.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
dude what

When you hear the name several times announced in the awards ceremony it's got enough prevalence IMO.
Wait, which part? The part about FE getting more than one award, or the part about Western bias? I feel like I may have worded something poorly...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
-Agreed on Piranha Plant, Joker, and Terry
Half of the pass...

-Erdrick was considered the best shot for Dragon Quest, but we got taken off-guard with no less than four iterations of the Hero across the franchise. I'm willing to give a free pass on that one, though admittedly they were leaked.
I'm doing my best to discount leaks. This thread gives a lot of credit to leaks, but that's a separate conversation.

-Banjo had some degree of hope from what I've heard, fueled by Phil's approval, but he was mostly overshadowed by Steve.
Yes... I agree he had hope I think the rare comments I read still had little hope, but this is statedly subjective.

-Byleth was a tossup. Part of it was from pessimism, and part of it was from the lack of Spirit Event, but most people thought they would have to be next pass.
I don't recall reading Byleth as anything other than a sad joke. And even if it were about the Spirit event, Pokemon still made more sense. Considering it was actually more recent, as well as, well, the highest grossing franchise of all time. Pokemon Go gained 1billion dollars this year. The MCU didn't. The gap grows.

-Min Min was ignored because everyone though ARMS was dead. After that, there was a split between Spring Man and Min Min, being protagonist vs popularity. Keep in mind this was before the ensemble cast statement.
... Just gonna disagree. Search my post history. Min Min was the choice since the game was announced. It was her or no one, and even after Spring Man was announced, the majority of Smash felt it was Spring Man. Not gonna argue this one, sorry. Search my history of posting. Just not something that can be contested.

-Steve was admittedly passed over in favor of the pie-in-the-sky character, Master Chief, but there were still a couple of them here and there.
A few people out of many is not the majority. Again, this thread generally fails at overall projections, which was my thesis.

I think it's a bit unfair to say that the thread has no credibility, seeing as there's a lot of users floating around, each with their own opinions, standards, and information. We're not a hivemind.
We are speaking in generalizations. And yeah, I can argue we are in fact a hive mind. But still, please tell me when this thread was, in general, correct, as my OP was about in response to the generalizations of this thread.

Also, it's not concrete, but your post has two likes after 5 minutes of.... being incorrect, in my eyes. That does affect my opinion. It's the internet.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Well, the only other Nintendo game with decent chances of winning something was Smash, and it won best fighting game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Tbh, I'm at a point where I actively want more Spirit events and disconfirmations.

Not just for speculation either - there's only four slots left, so if my MWs won't make it, I'd actually be happier with a Spirit event for them rather than nothing at all.
Can't say I disagree. If I don't get Hayabusa, Bill Rizer and Kunio, I'll take them as Swordsmen, Gunners and Brawlers.

Deep breath

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1604460028637.png

Well, we were wondering how Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising could get in...
Bushleague.
1604460241313.png

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Hey, if I had to choose the Mario minion for Smash, I'd choose Shy Guy over Piranha Plant.
I mean, OBVIOUSLY it should've been a Goomba. Lol

Can't say I disagree. If I don't get Hayabusa, Bill Rizer and Kunio, I'll take them as Swordsmen, Gunners and Brawlers.
God a Mii Fighter Hayabusa would SUCK to see, but yea... I'm with you.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Three Houses is up there with Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, BotW and Luigi's Mansion 3 as one of my top favorite Switch games, so yeah, I'm still pretty stoked about Byleth's inclusion. Heck, I hadn't even played Three Houses yet until after the announcement, I just really liked the way Byleth looked and thought the whip sword would be cool.

I'm still miffed about no God Shattering Star, though. :drflip:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
surprise surprise apparently :ultminmin is featured in the new spirit event this week
25D9F1EB-9053-4D81-B5A1-9681CDFECCFD.jpeg

reminds me how people thought Rex featured in the blue spirit event back in June would hurt his chances cuz Min Min wasn't in another spirit after more dlc was announced(you were saying about that again?)

Smash theories around here suck

and so dose the western smash speculation(a lot)

D

Deleted member

I never could get into Three Houses. My interest always tapered off by the time I made it to the timeskip in the few runs I tried. I think it was primarily because of the monastery, but there could’ve been a few more things that dragged it down for me. Byleth is still a pretty fun character and I’m happy for the fans of the game though so it’s all good. I can’t even bring myself to dislike pretty much any character’s inclusion anymore. Like I used to not like Incineroar but damn if his biggest fans haven’t made him grow on me. Like I guess the closest would be Corrin, but I like her & fates so it’s just mainly that I would’ve rather had them pick Azura.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only time Fire Emblem will be redeemed in Smash is when the best game in the franchise gets that rep.

1604472725356.png

Just wait till the FE4 remakes and boom, marth 2.0 Seliph and horse marth Sigurd join the battle! :4pacman:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Masked characters spirit event.

Ryu Hayabusa wears a mask.

Spirit event revealed the same night as a big election.

Ryu confirmed to have been elected as fighter 8.

Hey it wouldn't be the silliest logic applied to Smash speculation.
Oh man, talk about funny coincidence as today Nintendo Direct showcase the announcement of Fire Emblem characters being ninja.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If I had to pick an unexpected fighter for Smash...
View attachment 291141
It would be both the Tarantula and Scorpion from Deadly Creatures on the Wii.
(Those two are rivals to each other but team up as a duo fighter in Smash.)
I have no idea what this is, but I'm excited.

I mean I was gonna call him based on someone else in the FE Smash roster but I don't want to spoil FE4 because it'd be obvious. :nifty:
This community really values its RPG's...........not sure why, considering I cannot remember an RPG Nintendo released in the 90s in the USA. Or since FPS' were the 00s and there isn't a character from that genre.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon
Here's what the game Deadly Creatures is about if you don't know:
The game allows players to play as a tarantula and a scorpion, engaging in combat against other creatures.

It has a story which is about two humans, George Struggs and Wade (voiced by Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton), are looking for a location in the Sonoran desert where they believe gold from the American Civil War has been buried. The story is told from the point of view of both a tarantula and a scorpion with both creatures often seeing the same thing but from a different perspective as well as continuously fighting each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom