• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Nintendo should have stated that the ballot could be used for future games. They actually did that for the Japanesse Version, but Ones in the U.S and Europe I believe didn't have that fine Print, And it's kind of bogus considering it seemed 95% of the Ballot was used mostly for Ultimate and not For smash 4
I'm pretty sure I recall they did state that the fighters voted in would be considered for future games. At least in the European one.
Hence why I personally always felt that the Ballot was more of a suggestion box back then.. (And pretty sure the late Iwata himself stated as much, more or less...)

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think Nintendo should have stated that the ballot could be used for future games. They actually did that for the Japanesse Version, but Ones in the U.S and Europe I believe didn't have that fine Print, And it's kind of bogus considering it seemed 95% of the Ballot was used mostly for Ultimate and not For smash 4
I think it did have a fine print on the US and Europe websites, but who reads fine prints these days, amirite? :p

Besides, what makes people pissy about the ballot isn't that most of it got to Ultimate, but that Bayonetta being the one Ballot character added in Smash 4 is blatantly rigged if you looked at datamines.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
New NEW forum game(TM)

so with the Ultimate Deluxe idea that DLC would have their own spaces in Ult DX’s WoL, where would you place those characters?

for me;

Piranha Plant - Light Realm, just to have one more villainous character under Galeem’s control for irony purposes, we have a lot of heroic characters under Dharkon’s control so
Joker - Dark Realm, just because the aesthetic fits
Hero - Light Realm, he’s seen fighting Dharkon and their minions in his trailer and Galeem is Dharkon’s natural enemy
Banjo & Kazooie - Light Realm, tbh almost all the cartoony characters are there anyway
Terry - Dark Realm, idk why
Byleth - either, but Light Realm is preferred to have one more FE character there (currently it’s only Marth and Roy, everyone else from FE is in the Dark Realm)
Min Min - Light Realm obviously since her Spirit was there in Vanilla Ult
Steve - also Light Realm

and for some of my ideal Ultimate DLC picks:
Elma - Dark Realm, to contrast Shulk being in the Light Realm
KOS-MOS - Dark Realm
Arle - Light Realm
Octoling - Dark Realm, cause the Spirit they’re based on (Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy) is there. The one named Octoling is in the Light Realm and technically of the Enemy Octoling, not the Octo Expansion kind
Crash - Light Realm, as previously established with cartoony characters
Neku - Light Realm, to contrast fellow Nomura-designed character Cloud being in the Dark Realm
Ahri - Dark Realm
Black Shadow - Dark Realm cause he’s an Edgy(TM) villain
Falcom character - if Adol or Estelle, Light Realm. If Rean, Dark Realm cause Trails of Cold Steel. dark and edgy. Get it???
Bringing this back if anyone else wants to give it a whirl

if you put a character in the final battle area, specify whether they’re on the light or dark side

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I figured it as well as several insider's claimed that Byleth's intended reveal was supposed to be December. And their trailer starts in the same way Joker's TGA one started.
Hm... so you're thinking they ultimately backed out?

On the other hand, it seems weird to think that revealing Byleth at TGA instead of a Sakurai Presents would somehow hurt sales. That's the bottom line of all "reception" based arguments; unless it negatively impacts sales it doesn't matter.
I suppose. But it may have gotten them bad publicity.

osby

Smash Obsessed
New NEW forum game(TM)

so with the Ultimate Deluxe idea that DLC would have their own spaces in Ult DX’s WoL, where would you place those characters?

for me;

Piranha Plant - Light Realm, just to have one more villainous character under Galeem’s control for irony purposes, we have a lot of heroic characters under Dharkon’s control so
Hero - Light Realm, he’s seen fighting Dharkon and their minions in his trailer and Galeem is Dharkon’s natural enemy
Banjo & Kazooie - Light Realm, tbh almost all the cartoony characters are there anyway
Byleth - either, but Light Realm is preferred to have one more FE character there (currently it’s only Marth and Roy, everyone else from FE is in the Dark Realm)
Steve - also Light Realm

KOS-MOS - Dark Realm
Arle - Light Realm
Octoling - Dark Realm, cause the Spirit they’re based on (Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy) is there. The one named Octoling is in the Light Realm and technically of the Enemy Octoling, not the Octo Expansion kind
Neku - Light Realm, to contrast fellow Nomura-designed character Cloud being in the Dark Realm
Ahri - Dark Realm
Falcom character - if Adol or Estelle, Light Realm. If Rean, Dark Realm cause Trails of Cold Steel. dark and edgy. Get it???
Piranha Plant - Dark Realm, being a mob enemy and all.
Joker - Dark Realm. P5 firmly puts him in the Dark is not Evil camp.
Hero - Light Realm. Self-explanatory.
Banjo - Light Realm. No reason not to.
Terry - Light Realm. Again, nothing about him screams dark to me.
Byleth - Dark Realm. You can make an argument for both but Ashen Demon name sounds like a good fit to the dark side.
Min Min - Light Realm because she's uh... has a warm color scheme I guess.
Steve & Alex - Dark Realm just because they come with Enderman and Zombie which happen to be antagonists.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have a theory, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's been discussed already, that the only reason we didn't get a TGA 2019 reveal was because it would've been Byleth. They wouldn't have been well received at such a huge cross platform event, and Nintendo likely understood that it wasn't the best way to advertise their DLC pass.

In my eyes, there really isn't a good reason to not use TGA to their advantage as it has become such a huge event rivialng even E3. I think a reveal is very likely this time around, and if we don't get one it's likely that it isn't very exciting.
I am the guy who goes around saying that in the Byleth video-
  • Sakurai apologized
  • gave us the finger
  • acknowledged sword users and fire emblem were overpopulated

But at the same time, this doesn't actually make 'sense' if we think that Smash is only about Smash. It's not. It offers a lot to Nintendo. Relationships, franchise growth, console sales, free media.

There is clearly a lot that goes on behind the scenes.

Maybe it's the Mandela effect, but I swear I remember reading that the Smash 4 ballot would be used 'for this and future Nintendo products.' Not only do I acknowledge that for PR, businesses have to speak as politicians, but I cannot fathom Bayonetta, a character overall not even well known in gaming, actually meant anything. I think if we get over the lack of clarity in wording, and get into general psychology, marketing, and overall math of who made it into Smash 5 (which we know started immediately after), there is too much circumstantial evidence to completely ignore.

And Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars.
I'll appreciate Jump Stars more when they have Magical Girls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
New NEW forum game(TM)

for me;

Steve - also Light Realm

KOS-MOS - Dark Realm
Arle - Light Realm
Ahri - Dark Realm
Piranha Plant: Light Realm; I figure it would be in the Bowser's Castle section
Joker: Dark Realm, for the reasons that you said
Hero: Light Realm, given the character is heavily associated with light
Banjo and Kazooie: Light Realm, ideally near the Kongo Jungle area
Terry: Light Realm, in the city
Byleth: Light Realm, in the first part of the temple area (where you unlock Simon)
Min Min: Light Realm, for the reason that you said
Steve: Dark Realm, since Minecraft is about exploring dark unknown places, and because of Enderman and Zombie

And, for my predicted list...

Geno: Light Realm, in the space section, where his spirit battle currently is.
Dante: Dark Realm, because he hunts demons. (and it matches the aesthetic of the series better)
Ryu Hayabusa: Dark Realm, because ninjas stick to the shadows (I was thinking about the third realm, but I'd likely have to figure out what other character would belong there to make it an even split)
Impa: Dark Realm, in the Sacred Land since that's clearly Zelda-inspired.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
New NEW forum game(TM)

for me;

Steve - also Light Realm

KOS-MOS - Dark Realm
Arle - Light Realm
Ahri - Dark Realm
Here I go!

Piranha Plant - Light Realm - somewhere near Donkey Kong.
Joker - Dark Realm - Mysterious Area.
Hero - Dark Realm - Sacred Area.
Banjo & Kazooie - Light realm - Near Dr. Mario
Terry Bogard - Light Realm - Street Fighter area
Byleth - Light Realm - Near Bowser's Castle I guess
Min Min - Light Realm - Stick her behind the Spring Man spirit.
Steve - Light Realm - Pac-Maze area The Ratchet Realm, it's where he belongs.

My most wanted characters

Axel Stone - Light Realm - In the city near Inkling
Klonoa - Light Realm - Near Jigglypuff and Yoshi
Crash Bandicoot - Light Realm - Near Donkey Kong
Sgt. Cortez - Starter character because he can just go to another time period and avoid Galeem's spirit beam altogether. Time to Split!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here I go!

Piranha Plant - Light Realm - somewhere near Donkey Kong.
Joker - Dark Realm - Mysterious Area.
Hero - Dark Realm - Sacred Area.
Banjo & Kazooie - Light realm - Near Dr. Mario
Terry Bogard - Light Realm - Street Fighter area
Byleth - Light Realm - Near Bowser's Castle I guess
Min Min - Light Realm - Stick her behind the Spring Man spirit.
Steve - Light Realm - Pac-Maze area The Ratchet Realm, it's where he belongs.

My most wanted characters

Axel Stone - Light Realm - In the city near Inkling
Klonoa - Light Realm - Near Jigglypuff and Yoshi
Crash Bandicoot - Light Realm - Near Donkey Kong
Sgt. Cortez - Starter character because he can just go to another time period and avoid Galeem's spirit beam altogether. Time to Split!
I knew you’d do something like that :awesome:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Piranha Plant: Light Realm
Joker: Dark Realm
Hero: Light Realm
Banjo & Kazooie: Light Realm
Terry Bogard: Light Realm
Byleth: Dark Realm
Min Min: Light Realm
Steve: Dark Realm

Predictions:

Ryu Hayabusa: Dark Realm
Rex: Light Realm
Master Chief: Dark Realm
Gen 8 Pokemon: Light Realm

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Predictions for WOL DLC locations?:
Plant: Light Realm, Somewhere near the Molten Fortress
Joker: Dark Realm, Mysterious Dimension
Hero: Light Realm, at the center of the Coliseum near he start
Banjo: Light Realm, Near the Kongo Jungle
Terry: Dark Realm, Sacred Land
Byleth: Dark Realm, Dracula's Castle
Min Min: Light Realm, where her spirit currently is
Steve: Dark Realm, On path to Mysterious Dimension

As for my most wanted characters:
Shantae: Light Realm, where her spirit currently is
Heavy: Light Realm, near the Base where Galleom is
Otto Matic: Dark Realm, On path to Sacred Land
Asha: Dark Realm, On path to Dracula's Castle

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Predictions for WOL DLC locations?:
Plant: Light Realm, Somewhere near the Molten Fortress
Joker: Dark Realm, Mysterious Dimension
Hero: Light Realm, at the center of the Coliseum near he start
Banjo: Light Realm, Near the Kongo Jungle
Terry: Dark Realm, Sacred Land
Byleth: Dark Realm, Dracula's Castle
Min Min: Light Realm, where her spirit currently is
Steve: Dark Realm, On path to Mysterious Dimension

As for my most wanted characters:
Shantae: Light Realm, where her spirit currently is
Heavy: Light Realm, near the Base where Galleom is
Otto Matic: Dark Realm, On path to Sacred Land
Asha: Dark Realm, On path to Dracula's Castle
Question, who’s Asha?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hm... so you're thinking they ultimately backed out?

I suppose. But it may have gotten them bad publicity.
If bad publicity for showing Byleth was a concern then they wouldn't have put Byleth in, it's more likely that the Smash trailer and the Ashen Wolves trailer weren't finished on time

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we had an expansion of Ultimate with more WOL content, I would like a brand new map with all DLC and new characters present on it. Something new. Maybe new sub areas. Just a new map to explore.
Maybe a new big bad on Galeem and Dharkon’s level too?

what would they represent? Aether? The void? Fire, Water, Wind or Earth?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If we had an expansion of Ultimate with more WOL content, I would like a brand new map with all DLC and new characters present on it. Something new. Maybe new sub areas. Just a new map to explore.
Maybe a new big bad on Galeem and Dharkon’s level too?

what would they represent? Aether? The void? Fire, Water, Wind or Earth?
I just imagine the intro cutscene showing Galeem's and Dharkon's fall and defeat, followed up by the entire cast's exhausted but relieved reactions to this finally being over, and turning around to resume Smash Bros activities... only for an ominous rumble to draw their attentions back to where Galeem and Dharkon fell, revealing Galeem's and Dharkon's bigger and badder daddy materializing into existence.

And he's angry.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nabbed from the Geno thread, can anyone confirm the bit about the website?
Points aligning for a potential November announcement of some sort (likely to be Smash related; ergo, CP 8 reveal).
  • In previous years, Nintendo has held a noteworthy Direct within the month of November.
  • The last two years, Nintendo has had Smash-themed Directs/Presents in November (2018 being the last Smash Direct prior to the game's release, and 2019 being the Mr. Sakurai Presents Terry Bogard).
  • It was stated that the October Partner Showcase would be the last of its kind for the rest of the year, opening up the possibility of a Direct akin to the usual General Directs, or Direct Mini (or a game-specific-themed Direct).
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open October 2020 Tournament ended last Sunday, November 1st. Two other past Smash Tournaments of a similar format (NA Online Open, and VS Cup Challenge) this year saw the eventual reveal of Challenger Packs 6 and 7 not long after their conclusion (with the reveal gap being no more than five days after the tournament's conclusion).
  • A few days ago there were some minor, almost unnoticed changes in the Smash website, specifically on Steve/Alex's character banner on the Fighter's section; one day appearing with the tag "New Coming 10/3/2020", the next day only saying "New", and then going back to saying "New Coming 10/3/2020".
  • Nintendo's Six Months Earnings report will go live this coming Thursday, November 5th. After said reports have been published, notable game news have followed soon after.
  • Two additional maintenance subjects have been added to the scheduled November 16th maintenance.
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary-themed Tournament's exact date(s) is still to be announced for December.
  • Yesterday Nintendo uploaded the first of their Monthly Rewind videos for the year. Among the news were many noteworthy moments such as the Hyrule Warrios: Age of Calamity news, the Pikmin 3 Deluxe release, as well as the October Partner Showcase. November's Monthly Rewind will most likely go over notable announcements to be made within this month.
Those are some of things I could gather from what I've kept up with. Certainly there's more I think. 🤔

Eldrake

Smash Lord
We might see a reveal this month or December, but for the actual release date? I'd be surprised if it's earlier than April or May.

I doubt it. I bet that CP8 will be a January release.
My gut says early February, but it depends on a lot of external factors, like if Steve was all hands on deck for programming or if the hypothetical delays Sakurai mentioned actually amounted to anything. A lot of people are thinking the next fighter will be simpler and take less development time, though, so we'll see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Have maintenances ever once meant something?!

Every time this thread has hyped themselves up over maintenances it has always ended in disappointment
To be fair I didn’t say it would be Smash related or even Direct related

just that it would be something

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm not expecting Smash for this month. December? Maybe, if it happens at The Game Awards. If that's not the case then I think we'll have to wait until January at earliest. They're not announcing characters like they did with the first fighter pass. For Joker, Hero and company, they announced the character and then a Sakurai Presents (not in Joker's case tho) happened 1-2 months after the reveal.

Now I get the impression that the time between revealing the character and the release for the second pass is much more shorter, not more than 1-2 weeks. Assuming this is how the rest of DLCs fighters are going to be handled, getting FP8 released in November or early December sounds unlikely not, super unlikely. At least to me, I guess.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I mean, maintenance is more often than not just for regular bug fixes, exploit patches, and overall routine upkeep on online and system infrastructure.

I wouldn't look too deep into it, personally. Besides, outside of like, maybe a Smash reveal in December, I'm kind of under the assumption Nintendo's done for the year after the last partner Showcase. :drshrug:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Usually I'm not pessimistic, but I think a Game Awards reveal is wishful thinking. By the time the Game Awards is here, it would've been two months since Steve was announced and I feel that's too early considering we had to wait three months from Min Min.

I think January just makes the most sense. As much as I hate waiting on characters, I don't think a character being revealed every two months is realistic. Reveals are going to be spread out across 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom