• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Incidentally, Valve will be launching Gnome Chompski into space on November 15th.

Coincidence?

I think not.
View attachment 291087
GNOME CHOMPSKI just gnomed Super Smash Bros!
:4pacman:
Some may say this will lead to Gordon Freeman.

But did I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith got this weird invite to a video game, but they wouldn't let him in because all his wounds and **** on his body weren't suitable for "good boys and girls", so Keith gave the invite to me? And it somehow was also legible for my friends Coach, Nick, Rochelle and those guys we saw when we got blocked by the bridge? Man, I can't wait to see that girl again.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know it makes sense that a reveal might NOT happen this month, but I think it is possible that it could. Remember that when Banjo-Kazooie was released after the Direct, in that same Direct, Terry was revealed. Release dates and reveals for characters may not have to be far apart. I know we are in a pandemic and all, but to me, anything is possible.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I am the guy who goes around saying that in the Byleth video-
  • Sakurai apologized
  • gave us the finger
  • acknowledged sword users and fire emblem were overpopulated

But at the same time, this doesn't actually make 'sense' if we think that Smash is only about Smash. It's not. It offers a lot to Nintendo. Relationships, franchise growth, console sales, free media.

There is clearly a lot that goes on behind the scenes.

Maybe it's the Mandela effect, but I swear I remember reading that the Smash 4 ballot would be used 'for this and future Nintendo products.' Not only do I acknowledge that for PR, businesses have to speak as politicians, but I cannot fathom Bayonetta, a character overall not even well known in gaming, actually meant anything. I think if we get over the lack of clarity in wording, and get into general psychology, marketing, and overall math of who made it into Smash 5 (which we know started immediately after), there is too much circumstantial evidence to completely ignore.

I'll appreciate Jump Stars more when they have Magical Girls.
Could you clarify what you're saying here please? Do you disagree with my theory about Byleth not being shown off at TGA?

If bad publicity for showing Byleth was a concern then they wouldn't have put Byleth in, it's more likely that the Smash trailer and the Ashen Wolves trailer weren't finished on time
Perhaps, but there may have been far more bad press at such a widely watched and covered event that includes gaming fans and journalists of all kinds.

In addition, I think we should keep in mind the people watching TGA that don't really follow Nintendo or Smash. Joker was a great character to show them and potentially get them to consider buying a Switch. Byleth would NOT have been a good choice for this crowd. It's better to give them a good impression.

The only bad publicity is no publicity.
Yea, I know that's what people say, but it isn't really true. If your company/product is being shown as defective or not worth a purchase by the media then that ISN'T good, no matter how you spin it.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Nabbed from the Geno thread, can anyone confirm the bit about the website?
Here. NoA runs the Online Opens together with Battlefy (which isn't the preferred organizing site amongst the competitive community - Smash.gg is - but Battlefy has a similar structure).

Quoting the bottom of the page:

"Where can I find previous Super Smash Bros. Ultimate open series?"

The Nintendo VS. Challenge Cup is here (and it ran Sep. 26th). It's one of the "Official Tourney Qualifiers" that NoJ started doing in February - since then NoA and NoE have adopted this mode (and both NoA and NoE have run online item-based cluster****s, with NoE's being 10 days ago and themed around Smash 64 stages).

Buuuuuuuut, this is what NoA has done. Sakurai and his team doesn't perfectly align with what NoJ does for that matter, and it aligning with what NoA does seem a little farfetched when Sakurai's team is rather isolated on purpose. Furthermore, the Online Opens have been somewhat scattershot - some of them have been held after character releases / reveals, some before, and some (the August 2019 one) have not seemingly tied to things. I'd not consider it a surefire way to know reveal dates for that reason.

FTR, NoJ's do differ in that they feature offline Finals (which NoA / NoE haven't done probably because it's much more difficult to do right now). NoJ's tournaments via the "Official Tourney Qualifers" mode have been:

• February 1st (Finals on the 24th)
  • March 15th (Finals on July 18th, likely due to the lockdown)
  • August 16th (Finals on September 5th)
  • October 24th (Finals - if they happen - likely to be mid-November)

Now, a November / December reveal is possible: I won't discount it for the simple fact that Steve's presentation was filmed in Mid-August (2 and 1/2 months ago) and FP8 has likely had most of the attention since then. Not counting on it obviously - I'd personally judge the chance as pretty low. TGA and after seems more likely.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What I could see happening is that CP8 could be revealed during TGA in December, but not be showcased and released until January.
This is the most I can see happening from TGA, like with Joker.

I think Nintendo is definitely going to have some presence at TGA this year if we're just talking Animal Crossing alone.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
If the maintenance has anything to do with Smash, I'd wager we're getting a patch that includes more bugfixes, maybe buffs, nerfs, and fixes to moves, and at absolute most, a new stage like how we got Small Battlefield. It wouldn't be impossible for them to reveal another character, but I'm not counting on it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Come to think of things, that Online Open for Smash may be a different thing from the type of Open tournament that came before Steve, was it not? If so, I don't think a reveal will necessarily come after another type of Open tournament like the online one.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I know it makes sense that a reveal might NOT happen this month, but I think it is possible that it could. Remember that when Banjo-Kazooie was released after the Direct, in that same Direct, Terry was revealed. Release dates and reveals for characters may not have to be far apart. I know we are in a pandemic and all, but to me, anything is possible.
We knew about Banjo for so long at that time because of E3. The reveal for a character coinciding with the showcase of another really isn't the same. I really doubt we get reveals so close together. At most I can see a Game Awards reveal if the character is exciting enough followed by a release in January or February.

I will say It'd be weird that 2020 becomes the year with the most characters revealed as DLC. We got Byleth, Min Min, Steve and maybe even CP8.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Usually I'm not pessimistic, but I think a Game Awards reveal is wishful thinking. By the time the Game Awards is here, it would've been two months since Steve was announced and I feel that's too early considering we had to wait three months from Min Min.

I think January just makes the most sense. As much as I hate waiting on characters, I don't think a character being revealed every two months is realistic. Reveals are going to be spread out across 2021.
It's weird to think it was only three months. It feels like so much longer due to that "next fighter is from ARMS" announcement

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
We knew about Banjo for so long at that time because of E3. The reveal for a character coinciding with the showcase of another really isn't the same. I really doubt we get reveals so close together. At most I can see a Game Awards reveal if the character is exciting enough followed by a release in January or February.

I will say It'd be weird that 2020 becomes the year with the most characters revealed as DLC. We got Byleth, Min Min, Steve and maybe even CP8.
I was talking about release dates alone before the next character's reveal. We did not get release dates for Banjo-Kazooie and Steve when they were first revealed, did we?

But I do think the Geno thread is overthinking things, and that a Game Awards reveal is more likely. I would not rule out the possibility of this month, though.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It's weird to think it was only three months. It feels like so much longer due to that "next fighter is from ARMS" announcement
It was very reminiscent of the Joker reveal: He was announced to be coming in December, but it took all the way into the middle of April to get him. After that, reveals started picking up steam. If I had to speculate how it might work since these characters are all worked on in groups, I think we reach periods where they start to come out a little faster because when one's finished, they start putting the finishing touches on the next one while also getting major work started on the following character. The initial beginning can feel slow because development takes a while to pick up some steam.

I imagine we'll probably see a slightly accelerated reveal schedule going into next year, assuming things stay on course.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Personally I could wait longer to know who FP8 is. I mean, I wanna know FP8's identity, of course, but despite not having played Steve a lot because his moveset and playstyle aren't really for me, his release is still very recent.

If we get more Nintendo news this month, which I assume will be the case, I'd rather have a new game announcement through Twitter or something, scheduled to release on 2021, of course.

Please let it be Metroid related or Bayonetta 3.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
This is the most I can see happening from TGA, like with Joker.

I think Nintendo is definitely going to have some presence at TGA this year if we're just talking Animal Crossing alone.
I agree. Like I've been saying, I think TGA is just too big of an opportunity to pass up if they can at least show us SOMETHING. They definitely don't need to come out right away.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do you think we might get a surprise new stage?

Hot take: please do NOT be Small Final Destination. Make it like, one of the WoL boss stages idk
People are just joking when they say it'll be Small FD.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Do you think we might get a surprise new stage?

Hot take: please do NOT be Small Final Destination. Make it like, one of the WoL boss stages idk
Small Battlefield -> Smaller Battlefield -> Smallest Battlefield (just one of the platforms without any actual ground)

Also

Big Battlefield -> Bigger Battlefield -> Biggest Battlefield (roughly the size of Great Cave Offensive)

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Part of me wishes that Isabelle was a Hero/Steve type situation so we can have other characters like ****ing Tom Nook on the roster. I only say that because, from my understanding, nothing about Isabelle's moveset is specifically related to her (maybe just the Final Smash).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Milky Way Wishes and Ganon's Tower make a ton of sense to do as DLC stages, the assets are already made! Just do something simple and sweet and package some more Kirby and Zelda music.

Ancestral Steppe also would make a ton of sense with more MH music if we do not get a MH character.

The only DLC stage I actually really really want separate from a character is a Tetris stage. The fact Tetris does not have a stage makes me miffed.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm not the biggest fan of flat walkoffs. They work well for the actual boss fights, but are pretty boring when it comes to a normal fight (plus, we already have a few stages with this layout). If they want to cater to the competitive side, they could take a boss stage that's a walkoff, give it a main area for fighting that works like the ground area of Battlefield, and give it a platform layout that isn't used in any of the commonly-used competitive stages. My explanation sounds complicated, but I feel like this would be a pretty easy thing to do in practice.

Also, I agree that it's weird that Tetris doesn't have a stage. It has a couple music tracks in the game, after all. And Tetris Block is the only potential character I have a hard time seeing them pull off a moveset for.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If bad publicity for showing Byleth was a concern then they wouldn't have put Byleth in, it's more likely that the Smash trailer and the Ashen Wolves trailer weren't finished on time
I was about to say, I think both the Byleth Trailer and Ashen Wolves Trailer were going to be shown together either way. It’s kinda suspicious that everyone knew Smash wasn’t going to be at TGA all at once so it seems likely that one or the other just wasn’t ready in time so they pulled the reveals.

It was a marketing thing more than anything I figure. There’s no way Byleth would’ve been a bad reveal especially since Three Houses won the players choice award there.

Edit: Smash fans have a tendency to assume that if THEY didn’t receive it well then it means NO ONE watching the stream would receive it well. Believe it or not, a lot of people in the Smash fandom didn’t receive Joker well.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There will never be another joker at the game awards. If they have a smash reveal there, I am certain they will telegraph it beforehand.

SKX31

Smash Master
If the maintenance has anything to do with Smash, I'd wager we're getting a patch that includes more bugfixes, maybe buffs, nerfs, and fixes to moves, and at absolute most, a new stage like how we got Small Battlefield. It wouldn't be impossible for them to reveal another character, but I'm not counting on it.
Wouldn't mind such a patch at all. There are still a couple of moves that IIRC refuse to work properly. To name some examples:

* Ganondorf has blindspots everywhere. For example, Up Smash has a blindspot right in front of him.

Nintendo storms into my room.

"...What, buff :ultganondorf: you say?!"

heresy.jpg

:4pacman:

* IIRC Samus' jab doesn't link properly, and people can escape that before the second hit connects. Fixing that would be nice for her.

* Huh, didn't know that :ultpiranha: 's Back Air takes a really long time to finish. Improving the recovery frames there would help it quite a bit.

* :ultisabelle: could really use a buff to her Fishing Rod. Either make it effective vs. shields or make sure it comes out a bit faster. I mean, Steve has come along and brought a faster Fishing Rod, so I don't see much of a point in leaving Isabelle's like this.

* :ultolimar: could really benefit from a UI element a la Cloud's Limit Meter. While I strongly doubt they'll add it in a smaller patch, such a UI element (using Pikmin's bubbles to display the Pikmin in turn) would be very helpful, especially for say casual Olimar players since the only indication of which Pikmin is next is a tiny colored arrow above the Pikmin next in line. Wario likewise could use a UI element - either for his Bike (which has a 6 sec cooldown whenever destroyed) or Waft (not everyone's going to remember that Waft takes 2 minutes to fully charge).

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There will never be another joker at the game awards. If they have a smash reveal there, I am certain they will telegraph it beforehand.
And even then, the Joker reveal at the VGA 2018 was a last-minute decision decreasing the chances of a reveal this year there.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
And even then, the Joker reveal at the VGA 2018 was a last-minute decision decreasing the chances of a reveal this year there.
Uhh, I don’t think they would’ve been able to do that much specific voice acting for TGA if it was last minute. That’s without mentioning the planning for the lighting team, sound team, camera team, and Geoff himself that had to have gone into the reveal.

I dunno where that idea that Joker was last minute came from.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What do you mean by “telegraph”?
I guess he's talking about the usual Smash cross that appears at the beginning of each reveal.
Joker's trailer was basically "oh, something Persona 5 related. It is P5 Arena? A different kind of spin off? Persona 5 on Swit-WHAT, SMASH?"

What he's saying is that if we get another reveal at TGA we will know it's Smash related since the beginning. I could see that, but I don't know why they couldn't repeat the same play if they want. I guess it depends on who's the fighter. If the trailer starts with someone like Geno, 80 or 90% of people will think of Smash, but if the trailer starts and someone like Dante or Hayabusa appears, there's always room for "could it be a new game or something?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom