• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
But Miis are a good character creation system.

In Smash 4, I would agree, the system was all kinds of borked.

But Ultimate streamlined and balanced Miis to the point where they're a welcome addition and super fun to play.
Most Miis are ugly, and you can only change a few of their moves and nothing else about their mechanics.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
nd you can only change a few of their moves and nothing else about their mechanics.
Wasn't that the main issue with Smash 4 Miis?

Changing stats at will made them unbalanced and borked as all hell?

Most Miis are ugly,
And that's just personal taste. I like the minimalistic look they have.

They look stylized instead of creepy like the X-Box Avatars.

With everyone dunking on Miis, I will put forward that the Soul Calibur character creation system would be preeeeeety sick for Smash. Build your own echos. DLC costumes would be much more hype.
I mean, that kind of takes away the whole point of an all star fighting game right?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
With everyone dunking on Miis, I will put forward that the Soul Calibur character creation system would be preeeeeety sick for Smash. Build your own echos. DLC costumes would be much more hype.
That's something I could get behind. Keep the generic Brawler, Sword, Gunner variant similar to how Soul Cal had a few mixed 'unique' fighting styles that blended a few fighters together or were fairly unique (If not somewhat barebones in their own ways). Then allow you to use actual fighter move sets but with customized characters. Would be more interesting overall. Can still play as your favorite character but use your own 'skin' or otherwise a 'dlc costume' (Example Zangief 'skin' for Incineroar 'base' as a very basic example).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
How'd you even make her an Assist Trophy? Cramming unrepresented series into the Assist Trophy role when they wouldn't fit it very well just doesn't work. It worked fine for Bomberman, who actually does the Assist role well with his bombs, but characters like Krystal, Waluigi, and Alucard just feel like the poor man's fighter and scream missed potential.
Well, Waluigi, Alucard, Bomberman, and Krystal didn't earn their exclusions. However, Miku on the other hand is a completely different situation. Miku is not eligible to be playable, so having Miku as an asisst trophy would be better than not including her in the game at all.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

I don't care. I don't have a problem with certain movesets not being allowed in tournaments or online competitions.
I mean, that kind of takes away the whole point of an all star fighting game right?
How is that any different from the current state of affairs with Mii fighters?
OK hol' up. In what world are the Miis ugly? I can see boring and stupid looking as a criticism, but ugly? No way.
Tomato, tomato.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think the return of Miis hinge on Backwards Compatibility. If the next system is backwards compatible with the switch, they will return. If it isn't, I'd say there's an 85% chance they go. Smash might get an in-game Mii Maker though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, Waluigi, Alucard, Bomberman, and Krystal didn't earn their exclusions. However, Miku on the other hand is a completely different situation. Miku is not eligible to be playable, so having Miku as an asisst trophy would be better than not including her in the game at all.
Shoehorning someone into a role they don't work well in because "they earned an exclusion" is decidedly not an ideal option

SKX31

Smash Master

Oh yeah. That.

Yeah, it was the main issue. Changing their size was seem by a lot of competitive people as the crux of the issue since it changed their stats dramatically - making them small gave them the longest initial dash in the game and a tiny hurtbox. One of Mii Brawler's Up Bs went really horizontal too... yeah.

Yeah, with how poorly designed the Mii Fighters are, I don't think it would be worth the memory space or dev time.
Not sure I fully agree there, although I really dislike how :ultswordfighter: plays a bit too much like "Mii Sword-zoner" (Tornado and Chakram does not help due to the potential reward they have). :ultgunner: feels a little disjointed (as in their attacks don't work together that well), while my only issue with :ultbrawler: is that the frame-data's weirdly fast in some instances.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Hatsune Miku can still work as an assist trophy. Same with Goku (Dragon Ball).
ignoring the fact that he originates from a non videogame franchise and therefore will never be included in Smash, there's no way in hell that Goku would be resigned to being an assist trophy considering the insane popularity and pull of the Dragon Ball brand and how widely requested (joke or not) the character's been for years.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My issue with the Mii Fighters is that they're boring. The three archetypes don't really have much to offer that other characters within the archetype don't already have (for example, why play a generic swordfighter when we have Link, Shulk, Cloud, the entire cast of Fire Emblem, and more). Even the one that stands out the most is just Samus with a twist. Even ignoring the fact that they very closely stick to incredibly well populated archetypes within Super Smash Bros., their Special Moves are almost entirely just generic versions of of other characters's attacks (for example, instead of allowing people the fantasy of being able to do a Falcon Punch, they get a generic version of the move called Exploding Side Kick). The ones that aren't like that aren't really all that interesting from a visual/conceptual standpoint like Shot Put.

The other issue is that they really are "almost not even Miis anymore". Miis may be avatars, but they're not without their personality. They're silly and goofy and always up to wacky hijinks. In Super Smash Bros. the Mii Fighters are uncharacteristically serious, and it strips away all of their charm. Combine this with the previous issue, and the appeal of the Miis are strictly for the novelty of a character that can be anyone.

I think the Mii Fighters at least need a face lift. They need to get back that charm that they have in other games, and the archetypes need to bring things to the table that aren't just mildly interesting at best.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The irony is that the blatantly obvious troll is making the thing he hates even stronger every time he tries to destroy it.

After all, Heels feed off of hatred. :V
you got me. my hatred of Inineroar is a ruse. I pretend to be vehemently against him in order for him to gain power.

first, the owl, wolf, and whatever Mimikyu is
then, the Grinch.
after that? More than half of all known pokemon.
what's next?
incinwib.png

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Incineroar becomes the president of the United States?

A sacrifice I'm willing to make in order for Pokémon to exist in the real world.
Incineroar would probably run the country better than the majority of politicians.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Most Miis are ugly, and you can only change a few of their moves and nothing else about their mechanics.
I can agree with this. Miis are an archaic symbol of the Wii. I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the game but they are not a good replacement for fighters. Christ I think assist trophies are better than mii costumes.

At this point it almost feels like 50% or more of them look like absolute garbage. I'm sorry to all of you who find a lot of solace in some of the mii costumes, not trying to attack you. But some of them are more of an insult than a compensation.

That being said, the deluxe mii costumes are very much impressive.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Biggest gripe about miis is that for some godforsaken reason we keep getting costumes for them and not the vast majority of the cast who would really really appreciate some alternate looks. Like come on, who wants to wear a 3rd Mii Swordfighter costume from Link's wardrobe when we could get something like, I dunno, a set Link actually wears... on Link?
1604187596007.png

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
At this point it almost feels like 50% or more of them look like absolute garbage. I'm sorry to all of you who find a lot of solace in some of the mii costumes, not trying to attack you. But some of them are more of an insult than a compensation.
I think that's part of the issue.

You see an insult when none is intended.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really like the Miis (closest to Mado I'll ever get... found myself with a pocket swordfighter for that alone.). But I really miss being able to change their size. Tiny Mii Brawler was a jam of mine in For 3DS/Wii U.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Biggest gripe about miis is that for some godforsaken reason we keep getting costumes for them and not the vast majority of the cast who would really really appreciate some alternate looks. Like come on, who wants to wear a 3rd Mii Swordfighter costume from Link's wardrobe when we could get something like, I dunno, a set Link actually wears... on Link?
Yeah, tbh I'd be a lot more willing to pay, for, say, Ancient Armor Link as a costume than a Mii that wears said armor.

It's understandable when it doesn't work, like the P4 protagonist on top of Joker, but if the costume is based on a playable character, I'd rather have the costumes for THAT character.

At this point, I think pretty much every character could use at least one costume like that except... I dunno, Puff.

Bonus points if said costumes actually changed particle/sound effects or such, like in MOBAs and Overwatch.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I really like the Miis (closest to Mado I'll ever get... found myself with a pocket swordfighter for that alone.). But I really miss being able to change their size. Tiny Mii Brawler was a jam of mine in For 3DS/Wii U.
I think it was a really great feature as well. The problem is how to balance it because range, power, and weight in exchange for speed and damage doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom