• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
It's possible that the leaker could be using already known information and use the "someone messaged this a while back" excuse to cover that up because I think it's weird that most the stuff that isn't Smash didn't just come true, but did so before the leak was even posted.
That's definitely what it looks like. Claim you knew about things after they happened, take a safe guess or two (who could have predicted that after Y's VIII sold very well that they would bring Y's IX?), and throw in some fake Smash info because that will make people care.

The claims that the supposed source knows exactly how the discussions went and knows the character but won't reveal it, even though there are probably 3 possible options, makes pretty laughable even disregarding the other stuff.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That's definitely what it looks like. Claim you knew about things after they happened, take a safe guess or two (who could have predicted that after Y's VIII sold very well that they would bring Y's IX?), and throw in some fake Smash info because that will make people care.

The claims that the supposed source knows exactly how the discussions went and knows the character but won't reveal it, even though there are probably 3 possible options, makes pretty laughable even disregarding the other stuff.
Only time will tell when it comes to how that leak will turn out to be.

But either way, it got us out of the echo chambers of Geno and the bandwagon of the week, so even if it's fake, it still gives us a breath of fresh air in speculation, so it's definitely worth talking about :p

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm also part of the camp that doesn't know a thing about Ys and Falcom but would be totally okay with Adol or whoever because the music seems to be pretty kickass and I really, really like this song in particular:
That was the first Ys song I listened and since then I have been interested in the series. That track is so good.

As long as we get a full on epic remix of Silver Will in Smash (or at least the super arranged version) I couldn't ask anything more of what music Falcom brings.

Seriously someone help me this song has been stuck in my head for days.
Silver Will is an amazing track. I'm convinced if we get a Falcom character we'll get that song, no matter who's the fighter.

Loewe is life.

Regardless of Estelle making it or not as a potential Falcom character, I'd love to get this version of Sophisticated Fight. Nintendo wouldn't even need to do a remix of said battle theme, this arrangement of the track it's already SO Smash Ultimate:

And personally I'd like to get a remix or something of this theme. Probably a pipe dream because it isn't a battle song but hell, I love this track. It's so relaxing.

Ancient Makes, Fateful Confrontation, The Fate of the Fairies and The Merciless Savior would be great additions as well.

The fact that Zero and Azure's PS4 rereleases were not only announced, but released weeks before that leak was even posted (Azure in May and Zero in April) gives me some level of doubt.

Trails of Cold Steel III's Switch version was also released in Japan since March, with the localization coming out about a week after that leak was posted. And ToCS IV's localization was announced back in April for both PS4 and Switch.

It's possible that the leaker could be using already known information and use the "someone messaged this a while back" excuse to cover that up because I think it's weird that most the stuff that isn't Smash didn't just come true, but did so before the leak was even posted.

Ys IX being localized could be a guess since Falcom has been localizing their games a good amount recently, from what I heard.

In other words, hype responsibly. Don't assume it's a guarantee, but speculating about a Falcom rep is still a nice breath of fresh air, so let's keep doing that :p
The thing is that I assume the 4chan post was talking about is that those re-releases will be released in the West as well. Falcom games so far always arrive later in the West, I mean. Cold Steel 4 released in 2018 according to Wikipedia, and just recently it released in the West, and that's just on PS4. The Switch version will come in 2021.

I think it would be strange for the leaker to try to make the play you're mentioning. That's why I assumed he was talking about the western versions of those games. Certainly, Ao and Zero no Kiseki + Cold Steel I and II have been announced but just for Korea/China so far. But I think it's highly likely the Switch western users will get at least Cold Steel I and II to have the entire Cold Steel arc in one console.

Ao and Zero no Kiseki getting western releases, which would mean both games would get english localization for the first time, it's to me the big ? of this thing. If this ends happening relatively soon I think the leak would gain a lot of credibility, I mean the games released in 2010 and 2011 and at this point I don't think people really expected an english localization for both games.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh tho

watch as next week we FINALLY, after what feels like a ****ing CENTURY, get a new spirit event

the Fortnite Spirit Event

I mean I’d be disappointed it’s not one of the other obvious event material laying around like Undertale. But on the other hand it’s better than Playable Jonesy

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sakurai made a point that "Everyone Is Here" might never happen again, and it barely happened this time.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It would be hell for the development team. Especially all the 3rd party content that they'll have to relicense.
On the other hand Ultimate sold INSANELY well, and is in fact the HIGHEST SELLING FIGHTING GAME EVER. that honor once belonged to Street Fighter II. So with the crazy amount of bank they made (and probably are still making esp with Steve) that shouldn’t be a problem

only thing I can see causing an issue is if any of the third parties are bought out by like Sony or something. Microsoft shouldn’t be an issue with Banjo and Steve

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On the other hand Ultimate sold INSANELY well, and is in fact the HIGHEST SELLING FIGHTING GAME EVER. that honor once belonged to Street Fighter II. So with the crazy amount of bank they made (and probably are still making esp with Steve) that shouldn’t be a problem

only thing I can see causing an issue is if any of the third parties are bought out by like Sony or something. Microsoft shouldn’t be an issue with Banjo and Steve
But still, Smash would also run the risk of going stale. People will just tune out if all they do from now on is port Ultimate forever with new content.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Tbh, the only problems I could see would be the Konami, Square and Microsoft reps.

Hero and Cloud would probably be DLC, because that seems to be the MO of Square when it comes to these things. Even their Tekken 7 and SCVI guests ended up being DLC.

Microsoft is fine at first glance, but it all depends on how their relationship with Nintendo looks like when Smash 6 comes to fruition.

Konami... is a big question mark tbh. Could be easy, could be hard, we have no freaking idea.

The rest is probably easy enough. Can't see Sega, Capcom or SNK giving Nintendo any trouble, much less Namco.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh, the only problems I could see would be the Konami, Square and Microsoft reps.

Hero and Cloud would probably be DLC, because that seems to be the MO of Square when it comes to these things. Even their Tekken 7 and SCVI guests ended up being DLC.

Microsoft is fine at first glance, but it all depends on how their relationship with Nintendo looks like when Smash 6 comes to fruition.

Konami... is a big question mark tbh. Could be easy, could be hard, we have no freaking idea.

The rest is probably easy enough. Can't see Sega, Capcom or SNK giving Nintendo any trouble, much less Namco.
WRT Hero at least, that was more Sugiyama being a crabby miser and demanding a cut of the profits. In a few years Sugiyama probably won’t be doing DQ music anymore so it might be easier

Faso115

Smash Lord
Why do leaks that go into a detail into a new game suddenly slap "x character from this game gets in smash" at the very last thing they say? It's like everyone and their dog does this nowadays.

Even the supposed Activision Crash roadmap has "Crash in Smash" as a goal. Why are leaks the same?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I've already accepted that there isn't going to be a game like this again.
The next Smash, whatever it may look like... I really can't imagine how it could stack up to this. Even if they wanted to, each additional third party makes another Everyone is Here that much less feasible (Not that third parties are bad).
Ultimate when its DLC is finished, that really looks like the peak IMO. You aren't avoiding a lot of these cuts forever, which really is a deal-breaker.
Part of why I kind of hope Sakurai moves on from Smash when Ultimate's content is finished is that I don't want the poor dude to be saddled with the expectation of one-upping this. Let whatever stooge Nintendo pesters be the one that has to try and Weekend at Bernie's the Smash series.

It's best not to think about the trainwreck that will be the series' future. Enjoy this while it lasts.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
A few days before the Ys IX localization/Switch port announcement in the New Game Plus expo, someone posted this to 4chan:

Initially, the only announcement that this predicted correctly was Ys IX. However, recently Switch ports of Cold Steel I/II and Zero & Ao no Kiseki Kai were announced for Japan/China/Korea, which somewhat lines up with the Zero/Azure Switch port mentioned in the post.
The thing is that I assume the 4chan post was talking about is that those re-releases will be released in the West as well. Falcom games so far always arrive later in the West, I mean. Cold Steel 4 released in 2018 according to Wikipedia, and just recently it released in the West, and that's just on PS4. The Switch version will come in 2021.

I think it would be strange for the leaker to try to make the play you're mentioning. That's why I assumed he was talking about the western versions of those games. Certainly, Ao and Zero no Kiseki + Cold Steel I and II have been announced but just for Korea/China so far. But I think it's highly likely the Switch western users will get at least Cold Steel I and II to have the entire Cold Steel arc in one console.

Ao and Zero no Kiseki getting western releases, which would mean both games would get english localization for the first time, it's to me the big ? of this thing. If this ends happening relatively soon I think the leak would gain a lot of credibility, I mean the games released in 2010 and 2011 and at this point I don't think people really expected an english localization for both games.
It appears that it's Falcom's Asia publisher Clouded Leopard Entertainment that's handling the Switch ports. It doesn't answer why there's no English translation of Zero No nor Ao No since that publisher has published English localizations in the past.

Maybe it's something to do with Falcom not being sure if there's enough demand for an English localization or whatever else?

(Nitpick: Zero No and Ao No's translations are in Traditional Chinese, which is used primarily in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Still, those in Mainland China and Singapore - who primarily use Simplified Chinese - can import the games. As have happened with the PS4 releases. So practically, saying China is more or less correct).

But still, Smash would also run the risk of going stale. People will just tune out if all they do from now on is port Ultimate forever with new content.
If you're against live service games, fine. But do remember that the primary reason why a lot of publishers go for live service games (whether they become stale or not) is because they make - if they're successful that is - ****-normous amounts of money. Consider GTA V for example:

And note that the scale's in Millions of Dollars. It'll also see a PS5 / XSX re-release soon, mind.

If Nintendo wanted to turn Smash into a live service game... well, they certainly hypotheoretically could if they think the benefits outweigh the risks. Keyword being if of course.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

It's less the amount of bank and more the negotiations and development that go into getting and making every single character. There's no guarantee that every company is going to continue to play ball in the future as relationships do change and sometimes things just fall through that we can't guess. A good example of that is Snake, if you asked anyone if Konami would've went into their downward spiral in the period between Brawl and Smash 4 they would've thought you were crazy, but they did go through it and somewhere along the lines Snake fell through and didn't return for the latter.

Additionally, we can't pretend that Ultimate itself isn't a miracle of a game on its own, Sakurai has been very clear in the fact that it was difficult in getting the roster to be what it is at base and it barely happened as a result, and has stated that he doesn't think it can happen again. If the main director is saying things like that then it does probably mean it probably not a simple job to redo. There may be many difficulties to getting the characters and developing all of them that, as people who aren't on the development team, we don't understand, and we shouldn't simply write off the possibility of those hurdles getting in a way of the roster returning entirely.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
On the topic of a Ys rep, why are we not talking about Dana Iclucia? She seems to be the main poster girl (She was on all the marketing alongside Adon) of Ys VIII which is the most recent game in the Ys series that has come out to the Switch so far, though Ys IX is coming out summer next year.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of a Ys rep, why are we not talking about Dana Iclucia? She seems to be the main poster girl (She was on all the marketing alongside Adon) of Ys VIII which is the most recent game in the Ys series that has come out to the Switch so far, though Ys IX is coming out summer next year.
Because she had to share the spotlight with Adol in VIII, and Adol had the main role all to himself in every other game. She's more of a guest star, so to speak, like Midna, Prince Fluff, or Blaze.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Same reason we're not pushing Nero for the Devil May Cry character.

Adol has been the series mascot and protagonist for 8 (about to be 9) games and 33 years. They're not going to randomly decide "oh yeah the poster girl for one game is much more representative of the series and popular of a character than him."

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Because she had to share the spotlight with Adol in VIII, and Adol had the main role all to himself in every other game. She's more of a guest star, so to speak, like Midna, Prince Fluff, or Blaze.
Ah I thought Ys was a game where all the characters kept on changing their main protagonists like Final Fantasy and Xenoblade. Fair enough I guess.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ah I thought Ys was a game where all the characters kept on changing their main protagonists like Final Fantasy and Xenoblade. Fair enough I guess.
Yeah, Ys is different than most JRPGs in that it's Adol the whole way down, with the exception of Ys Origin, which takes place about 700 years before Adol was born and is the only Ys game to not be numbered AND not be a remake of a numbered installment. The entire series is told through chronicles of Adol's adventures, actually. The guy was so influential, the series' timeline is numbered based on Before Christin and After Christin.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I simply think that Fortnite is too new to be added in Smash. The game is currently a massive fad lacking any staying power. For reference, the newest 3rd party IP represented with a character in Ultimate, Minecraft, started in 2011. For reference, when the full version of Minecraft first came out Nintendo's current home console was the Wii, the 3DS had just come out, the newest Smash game was Brawl, and Pokemon was about to enter its 5th generation.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
It appears that it's Falcom's Asia publisher Clouded Leopard Entertainment that's handling the Switch ports. It doesn't answer why there's no English translation of Zero No nor Ao No since that publisher has published English localizations in the past.

Maybe it's something to do with Falcom not being sure if there's enough demand for an English localization or whatever else?
Honestly, I wonder if the existence of the Geofront and their high-quality translation of Zero (and upcoming translation of Ao) has affected Falcom's thoughts on official localizations of the two. Localizing a Trails game is a major effort, and Falcom is definitely aware of the Geofront and their projects. The official Falcom Twitter follows the Geofront's account, and Falcom worked with Pin Box (an online pin store centered in the UK) to make a pin of the Gluttonous Bass (aka the "Bruhfish"), a fish from Zero/Ao which became a big meme among the Geofront and people who played the fan translations:

bruhpin.jpg

So they're definitely aware of the group and their fan translations. The Geofront instructions for playing Zero/Ao all say to buy the untranslated game and then apply their patch, so Falcom is still getting money from people playing the translated versions (assuming they follow the Geofront's instructions). Obviously an official localization would have the benefit of more promotion, potentially more platforms to play it on, a higher budget, and an English voice cast, among others, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that Falcom knows that good translations of the Crossbell arc exist (or will soon exist, in the case of Ao) could let them prioritize other projects being localized, especially considering just how long the scripts to Trails games are and how much effort it takes to localize them.

EDIT: These translations are both rather recent (Zero’s full release was in March, and Azure isn’t out yet). Idk how far back the development of the Geofront’s Zero translation goes, though. So this doesn’t really apply to why they didn’t localize them around the time of their original release, this is just referring to recently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom