• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait, What does Umu Mean? I believe this is an anime based term, but is it good?
By what I found, it's supposed to be a passionate/joyous/loving "Yep." Basically, the kind of "Yep" you would say when you are very passionate about something, like when you are very into an event or hobby currently or whatnot. Like, "Ah, you into video games." "Yep/Umu."

It's just used alot by Fate Nero so much it's practically associated with her and people with no understanding of the word just use it without any knowledge, like what you expect from people who have no clue what they're saying.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I learned about Ys in 2009 thanks to Dwelling of Duels - a monthly video game covers competition with some really good tracks like this version of "The Boy's got Wings" or this version of " The morning grow". I'd like to also highlight this version of Ys VI opening "Release of the Far West Ocean".

On the other hand, I only really learned about Trails at the Adol Support thread (which is weird considering it has more games and sells more). So I'd be a little dissapointed if we get one of its characters instead of Adol, much like how I can't really fully enjoy playing as Terry because he will always reminds me that I'll never get Kyo. Still want to try Trails of Cold Steel, though.

Flik

Smash Journeyman

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Man, I know nothing about Falcom, but my friends seem to, maybe I'll ask them."

Get linked to several songs from the Y's ost

View attachment 290704
I got in to the series by seeing a friend gush about Ys Seven's boss theme, and misreading it, look up the boss theme of the first game and then I bought 6 Falcom games. Seriously, look up Holders of Power whenever you get the chance, both the Chronicles and the PCE versions are amazing, a shame that boss fights are so fast paced because you usually only hear the buildup in game lmao

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I learned about Ys in 2009 thanks to Dwelling of Duels - a monthly video game covers competition with some really good tracks like this version of "The Boy's got Wings" or this version of " The morning grow". I'd like to also highlight this version of Ys VI opening "Release of the Far West Ocean".

On the other hand, I only really learned about Trails at the Adol Support thread (which is weird considering it has more games and sells more). So I'd be a little dissapointed if we get one of its characters instead of Adol, much like how I can't really fully enjoy playing as Terry because he will always reminds me that I'll never get Kyo. Still want to try Trails of Cold Steel, though.
1604034993765.png

On my side though, it's one twink for another.
Joker P5MC and Demifiend.jpg

As a side note though, I've experienced Trails series first, so I'll be interested in exploring Ys from that perspective.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I got in to the series by seeing a friend gush about Ys Seven's boss theme, and misreading it, look up the boss theme of the first game and then I bought 6 Falcom games. Seriously, look up Holders of Power whenever you get the chance, both the Chronicles and the PCE versions are amazing, a shame that boss fights are so fast paced because you usually only hear the buildup in game lmao
One step ahead of you
I adore the techno/keyboard/whatever throughout the song, most notably the beginning, but I don't know what it's it's called. For some reason it gives me early 2010's Flash game vibes.

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Are the chances high for a possible Falcom rep pulling an SNK and having songs from everywhere? Because that would surely be a good deal seing this. Do they own the rights for their music?

I'd have to agree. Even if we got the same or even similar roster size, I'd imagine a LOT if not all the third parties would be left on the chopping block. I've a suspicion the roster would be reduced and then remixed. Keep the traditional Smash line up (Likely all the roster up to Brawl) and all the third parties and less popular first parties swapped out that were introduced in Ultimate.
No way Sakurai is cutting unique first parties if he has any choice even if its Piranha Plant, his history says otherwise, the only time it happened was due gameplay limitations that went beyond the game (ice climbers couldnt be handled by the 3DS and transformations were gone which may have had something to do with the 3ds version too, and Mewtwo was in the Brawl data as teh most complete cut meaning it almost got there), specially when he was shown to give less value to keeping semi-clones in that case (no data on YL and Pichu in Brawl, Lucas and Wolf were chosen in 4 and even then he rushed to bring one of them back and who knows if Wolf wasnt planned since th) worst case scenario they all get back as dlc since even an echo veteran is sure to sell well due to having fans and mains from the previous entry.

That said, people VASTLY underestimate how big of a chance for the next one being a port there is, the legal trouble would still cost less and take less time than a new ground up project, its safer than taking huge risks, Nintendo will be scratching for assured sales in a swith successor without having the wii u port to help make up for gaps in releases, and the protests from angry fans (which will include the ones asking for it now, since they seem to be under some delusion that a small roster will include every character they want and their dream-game modes, which lets be realistic, won't happen, most newcomers will be from future games, most game modes wont reasonate with them or they will lose their main or dislike the new moves anyway, then back to protests) will be off the charts, no matter what direction they go, tons of people will complain about how it was ruined. A port in the future is VERY possible.

I don't see why popular characters make the game soulless, tbh, especially when they have so much care and effort went into their portrayal.

Also,it's not like we didn't get PP, Byleth and Min Min. Your "we only get third parties now" narrative is unfounded.
I agree that one cant call them souless when most even seem straight out of their games and all are full of personality and detail in them. Souless is also an empty wording too since it can be completely subjective

Shroob

Sup?
Are the chances high for a possible Falcom rep pulling an SNK and having songs from everywhere? Because that would surely be a good deal seing this. Do they own the rights for their music?

No way Sakurai is cutting unique first parties if he has any choice even if its Piranha Plant, his history says otherwise, the only time it happened was due gameplay limitations that went beyond the game (ice climbers couldnt be handled by the 3DS and transformations were gone which may have had something to do with the 3ds version too, and Mewtwo was in the Brawl data as teh most complete cut meaning it almost got there), specially when he was shown to give less value to keeping semi-clones in that case (no data on YL and Pichu in Brawl, Lucas and Wolf were chosen in 4 and even then he rushed to bring one of them back and who knows if Wolf wasnt planned since th) worst case scenario they all get back as dlc since even an echo veteran is sure to sell well due to having fans and mains from the previous entry.

That said, people VASTLY underestimate how big of a chance for the next one being a port there is, the legal trouble would still cost less and take less time than a new ground up project, its safer than taking huge risks, Nintendo will be scratching for assured sales in a swith successor without having the wii u port to help make up for gaps in releases, and the protests from angry fans (which will include the ones asking for it now, since they seem to be under some delusion that a small roster will include every character they want and their dream-game modes, which lets be realistic, won't happen, most newcomers will be from future games, most game modes wont reasonate with them or they will lose their main or dislike the new moves anyway, then back to protests) will be off the charts, no matter what direction they go, tons of people will complain about how it was ruined. A port in the future is VERY possible.

I agree that one cant call them souless when most even seem straight out of their games and all are full of personality and detail in them. Souless is also an empty wording too since it can be completely subjective
As someone mentioned before, Falcom does their music in-house, so it'd be 100% possible.

Shroob

Sup?
I've become interested in looking into this Falcom thing.

I will say, if nothing else, that getting ALL those games apparently from seemingly nowhere is extremely shocking. I don't know how easy it is to guess that, but apparently it wasn't information available online before the leak, so if nothing else, it has that going for it, which is rather strong. Now, it could be a Dante scenario, where the leak knows some true info but then throws in fake info to **** with people, but it's something to at the very least keep an eye on.

As for Falcom itself, I feel like it'd be the Terry of this pass, namely in the "Character that's important, but relatively underground, at least in the West".

Like, I've been chatting with my friends about Falcom to learn more about them, since I know jack ****, and when I hear some of them regard Adol as arguably almost as iconic to ****ing :ulthero3:(Erdrick) in Asia, it's kind of shocking. Falcom's history is VAST, and it's only because they were mainly a PC game dev that their games remained Japan exclusive for so long, but as it seems now, they're very, VERY quickly branching out to consoles at a rapid pace, especially the west.

Now, there is to be said that Falcom has been relatively unknown in the west up til now as mentioned above, but looking at Steam, and the PSN/Switch store, there's a bevvy of their games readily available there, and if the leak is real, in that they want to push the Switch hard as a platform to distribute games on, then that kiiiinda reminds me of what happened between Nintendo and SNK, where a BUNCH of SNK titles were just on the Switch before Terry got in.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Are the chances high for a possible Falcom rep pulling an SNK and having songs from everywhere? Because that would surely be a good deal seing this. Do they own the rights for their musi
As already mentioned, the Falcom Sound Team is an internal studio, what's more is that according to that rumour batch, both Ys and Trails would get music, giving 30+ songs total.

Side note, a lot of people compared that Falcom 4chan post to Dante's situation and I don't get it, Dante's situation was someone leaking a ludicrous amount of DMCV info all at once and months later, a different post was made with a batch of rumours including Dante in Smash, meaning either the leaker genuinely made a followup filled with nothing but false info all around for attention despite getting literally every detail right for DMCV and being anonymous, or someone else mimicked the leaker and claimed to be them. The latter's happened before too, remember that Drunk Cat leak? The situation for the Falcom batch is that it's all one single post like the DMCV leak and cannot be a potential fake follow up months later. Obviously the Falcom rumour isn't guaranteed, Zero and Azure hasn't been confirmed for ps4 despite the rumour suggesting that ps4 was planned before the Switch versions, but it's still too different imo

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's kinda interesting how the latest pair of characters we talk about are on the two opposite sides of the salt spectrum.

Adol = So niche that it's a "Literal who"
Jonesy = So popular that it's a "Corporate pick"

Speaking of, considering this rumor has 'some' legs to it, I'm surprised you-know-who hasn't made a video on it.
He's trying to figure out how to tie it into a certain character's chances.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Speaking of, considering this rumor has 'some' legs to it, I'm surprised you-know-who hasn't made a video on it.
These posts make me wonder if he ever made a video on Three Houses and Astral Chain not getting spirit events, because those were biiiiiig talking points when their absences were noticed so it'd be perfect for El Grande Padre di Jenos to churn out clickbait for it, but there's no way in my mind he'd be ok with a character he doesn't want and get his fanbase talk about them

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's kinda interesting how the latest pair of characters we talk about are on the two opposite sides of the salt spectrum.

Adol = So niche that it's a "Literal who"
Jonesy = So popular that it's a "Corporate pick"

You know what character is important to Falcom?

Adol

You know what Adol kinda sounds like?

"A doll"

This might be evidence that we could see Adol get a mii costume in Geno's character pack! :ultpacman:

Bruhinator

Smash Rookie
As already mentioned, the Falcom Sound Team is an internal studio, what's more is that according to that rumour batch, both Ys and Trails would get music, giving 30+ songs total.

Side note, a lot of people compared that Falcom 4chan post to Dante's situation and I don't get it, Dante's situation was someone leaking a ludicrous amount of DMCV info all at once and months later, a different post was made with a batch of rumours including Dante in Smash, meaning either the leaker genuinely made a followup filled with nothing but false info all around for attention despite getting literally every detail right for DMCV and being anonymous, or someone else mimicked the leaker and claimed to be them. The latter's happened before too, remember that Drunk Cat leak? The situation for the Falcom batch is that it's all one single post like the DMCV leak and cannot be a potential fake follow up months later. Obviously the Falcom rumour isn't guaranteed, Zero and Azure hasn't been confirmed for ps4 despite the rumour suggesting that ps4 was planned before the Switch versions, but it's still too different imo
Wait, I though zero and azure came out on PS4 this year, or was the leak saying that zero and azure would be coming to PS4 in the west?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait, I though zero and azure came out on PS4 this year, or was the leak saying that zero and azure would be coming to PS4 in the west?
It never mentioned localizing them, though I admittedly never heard the ps4 ports happening so I missed that, my bad. Though this does mean that Smash is the only thing not yet confirmed on that leak lmao

Bruhinator

Smash Rookie
Y
It never mentioned localizing them, though I admittedly never heard the ps4 ports happening so I missed that, my bad. Though this does mean that Smash is the only thing not yet confirmed on that leak lmao
I see, the leak could have been just some lucky guesses but it’d be cool if it was legit, I’d love to see a trails or Ys character in smash. If it got everything it claimed right though, that definitely helps the leak out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is the best part of speculation.

Even if a leak ends up being fake, you broaden your horizons.

Earlier today, I couldn't tell a Falcom from a :ultfalcon:

But now I see that this music slaps hard and would 100% be down for this.
People who are insecure about their favourites can and will dismiss it all as mere bandwagoning but hey, every character with fan demand started from a bandwagon too, most people just don't like admitting it

Shroob

Sup?
My only question remains:

How easy would it have been to guess all those games? Because if that info didn't exist online before that leak, then that's a hell of a homerun to guess that many games correctly. Reminds me a lot of Jon's infamous Kirby's Epic Yarn on 3DS and all those Final Fantasy ports.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My only question remains:

How easy would it have been to guess all those games? Because if that info didn't exist online before that leak, then that's a hell of a homerun to guess that many games correctly.
Ys IX is easy as that wasn't confirmed for localization until like 3 days after the 4chan post, though I don't know if the Switch version was already announced by then. Cold Steel 1 and 2 are also pretty safe as a series with a long overarching plot should have all installments and only 3 and 4 were on Switch then. Azure and Zero though? That'd be a hella lucky guess, especially as it didn't try claiming the Sky trilogy was next, which is more important to my knowledge and already localized.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Thats great news for a fighter pack if they feel like outdoing SNK then.
"In Adol's fighter pack, we're adding every song Falcom ever made. Every. Last. One. We were going to go with a smaller selection, but the CEO of Falcom said, and I quote, "**** SNK, were gonna one up them". The team had to do some witchcraft to get more than 500 songs in the game, but they did it"

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
"In Adol's fighter pack, we're adding every song Falcom ever made. Every. Last. One. We were going to go with a smaller selection, but the CEO of Falcom said, and I quote, "**** SNK, were gonna one up them". The team had to do some witchcraft to get more than 500 songs in the game, but they did it"
I know this is a joke, but how much would this increase the update download size? Over 500 songs would have to put it in the gigabytes, right?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
So I'm trying to look at legitimate candidates for voice theory. I was thinking about Devil May Cry, but I don't know very much about the series. How similar is Virgil to Dante? Could they work as palette swaps? Are their personalities too different perhaps?
Vergil would probably be like Wolf is to Fox or Luigi to Mario, meaning they'd be for the most part be very different characters with some similarities which is called a pseudo-clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom