• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You know they'll never add Kasumi because "Smash is for good boys and girls".
if I hear
"Smash is for good boys and girls". one more time, Im going to slap everyone across the face through my phone then send my rabbit to bite your ankles

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't be a part of the Ryu argument, tbh. I do understand where people are coming from.

After all, you can only get 2-framed by these ******* birds so many times without developing a grudge against the game. :4pacman:
Ew. Imagine if he had committal jumps. Like, you get forward jump, backward jump, and neutral jump. That's it. No dodging and weaving in the air for you.

Hayabusa becoming playable is certainly quite plausible. However, it's also moderately possible he ends up as a Mii Swordfighter costume. The idea of us ending up with a case of Sakurai saying something like "don't forget to set your Mii up with Shuriken of Light to complete the set!" seems... on the table.
But we already have a generic ninja costume. :troll:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don’t think the position of the characters really points to the outcome of the pass considering Min Min is technically in the same spot as Piranha Plant just not free.
Min-Min isn't like Plant, because besides not being free at all, she's bundled in with FP2, when Plant wasn't with FP1

From a Marketing standpoint, you want to put some of your best characters forward to get more people's attention from the start, and Smash has used this idea I'd say since it's inception, but it's notable in Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate so far. Compare the reactions of the first few characters revealed in the life cycle to the last characters

Which is why it would be weird if Min-Min was first, and then we had Like 3-4 HUGE Western Characters or something. The only thing I could see working is maybe Min-Min is the character the appeals the most to Current Nintendo Fans that will be in this pass, while most of the characters in this pass will appeal to other demographics like Xbox, PS, PC, or maybe the geographical Appeal is more split than Min-Min or Steve, like how a character like Scorpion would be more for Western audiences, and a Character like Reimu would be for Japanesse. Maybe Genre too also affects this, like if we got Chief or TF2 or Apex or Fortnite for FPS

Then again Joker was the first character and he definitly wasn't Nintendo based, So I don't know

I guess there's also the possiblity that ARMS was actually seen as a big fan request, and honestly in some aspects that might have been true, but I don't think ARMS would have been the first thing brought up as a fan request. It would be something like Geno or Isaac, or Crash or something

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Could be worse. Imagine if you're trying to recover and Hayabusa's stage has the birds as a stage hazard... :roll:
Nono. That would be glorious...When it happens to my sister.

Imagine if they really did add those birds, and went all the way with it by having their attacks lock you in hitstun until you land Smash 64 style.
EDIT: And then Ryu's tourney is "Pit of Suffering" featuring only platforming characters that get knocked back on hit like Simon and Mega Man.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I think the Dark Horse picks this time around boil down to Falcom and a China centric character. LoL is an easy one since it’s huge over there but I’m sure there’s a lot of other possibilities for characters or franchises that are popular in China.
Can confirm that. I've argued that Phoenix Wright could work from this lens - despite AA having no official releases there - because AA has a decently large fandom. AA's situation is similar to Reimu's / Touhou's there where there are no officially approved games, but still an active fanbase. The Ninja Gaiden remasters page did draw some attention there too - mostly from those who have played a lot of console games (with one comment pointing out that the primary reason one should buy the remaster - if they come into fruition that is - is to promote new games).

The country's so huge and the grey-market so intervowen into things that the Chinese state pretty much threw in the towel on that (despite what they might say). Not only is Steam a massive hole in the Chinese state's firewall (it's telling when a significant part of China's Steam fanbase openly loathed the idea of a Steam China), in reality all kinds of games are readily bought (and sold) to there:

The cybermart on Huaihai Road, a busy, relatively up-market hub in Shanghai, is a perfect example. It was mentioned by Kotaku as a great spot to buy games in 2013, and even further back, in 2008, as a black market "eagerly awaiting" the new iPhone. It's an open secret - even my translator knew the spot - and it functions more or less as any other department store would in the light of day, with a disinterested police car parked not two doors down.

As Niko's Ahmad [ZhugeEx], put it to me: actually buying and selling games that directly contradict government regulations is "a grey area... it's not illegal in that you won't go to prison for it, or get fined for it, but it's something that the government wouldn't want to happen." Inside the Huaihai cybermart you'll find a wall of Xbox consoles and games, that looks just as any featured wall would in your local GAME or GameStop, while tablets and laptops are laid out on white, underlit tables, like you'd find them in PC World.
This also extends to the Switch - most Switches sold there (I'd guess ca. 3-5 million at this point) are imported.

There's also the chance that this dark horse category won't happen, TBF, but I'd argue that there is a possibility.

Could be worse. Imagine if you're trying to recover and Hayabusa's stage has the birds as a stage hazard... :roll:
Sad :ultlittlemac: noises.

Imagine if they really did add those birds, and went all the way with it by having their attacks lock you in hitstun until you land Smash 64 style.
Now I want this stage legal so we can have bird shenaningas at EVO 2023's Grand Finals.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would rather Kasumi from DOA. and a DW rep then Ryu. He is a bland ninja from a try-hard series that did nothing but bring out some of the worst in gamers and the "dark souls get gud" culture that dominated and destroyed a good portion of gaming for a few years. I hate that character. absolutely.
So all this debate and argument for why Ryu ain't a classic or has a legacy has to do with bias of not liking the character?

Wow...I'm utterly speechless...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
if I hear
"Smash is for good boys and girls". one more time, Im going to slaps everyone across the face through my phone then send my rabbit to bite your ankles
Smash fans only have 3 jokes
-Good Boys and Girls
-Character that is already in smash is confirmed for smash
-Character but their legs are Terry's

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Why would you be surprised, it was so obvious
Makes all this arguing with him all pointless and a waste of time to begin with since its clear he doesn't know what he was talking about.

We can all agree then that Ryu Hayabusa is a legacy character brin a famous NES iconalongside the Belmonts, Contra, and Billy & Jimmy Lee.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Makes all this arguing with him all pointless and a waste of time to begin with since its clear he doesn't know what he was talking.

We can all agree then that Ryu Hayabusa is a legacy character brin a famous NES iconalongside the Belmonts, Contra, and Billy & Jimmy Lee.
I disagree. Saying he is on the same plain as Simon is not even close. Not even on the same level as Terry.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I disagree. Saying he is on the same plain as Simon is not even close. Not even on the same level as Terry.
Ah yes, all because of bias speaking of not liking the character.

Pretty good reason.

Seriously dude just stop you're embarrassing yourself at this point.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Are you referring to those ****ing birds that have this annoying swooping animation? Where if your sword hits it in mid air the game doesn't detect it AND YOU FALL INTO THE DAMN PIT? THEN THEY INFINITELY RESPAWN?!?!

Ooof, I need to take a deep breath.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Are you referring to those ****ing birds that have this annoying swooping animation? Where if your sword hits it in mid air the game doesn't detect it AND YOU FALL INTO THE DAMN PIT? THEN THEY INFINITELY RESPAWN?!?!

Ooof, I need to take a deep breath.
You forget the part where they spawn right in front of you and you can't try to cheese it because it just spawns again if you try to walk back. :roll:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Echo chamber is an echo chamber. You are still over inflating NGs worth as much as I am underselling it.
I respect your opinions as much as I might disagree, but now you're just disregarding all of our arguments as being "an echo chamber" because what, you got called out or something?

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm genuinely puzzled.

You're like saying "yeah, I feel a certain way, but that doesn't make me in the wrong because you guys feel another way." You can't be wrong exclusively, we all have to be wrong.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Makes all this arguing with him all pointless and a waste of time to begin with since its clear he doesn't know what he was talking about.

I can't read that sentence without hearing Bimmy and Jimmy Lee. Despite never having played Double Dragon.

Damn you AVGN. :p

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
this board is not everyone alive. Less we remember Steve and Terry.
I'm not talking about this board. Go to any source of information of gaming history, they'll all say the same things about Ninja Gaiden: that it's iconic, highly influential, successful, fondly remembered, etc.

You speak as if this were a phenomenon limited to this site, which only leads everyone to believe that you're woefully misinformed as there's no way you found different discourse on the series elsewhere.

You're allowed to dislike a game, but you're on the wrong side of history my friend. Facts are facts.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
throws dart at wall

How about... this guy?

What? This is a daily account, y'know?
Ok, I think this one is up next.

I'm doing this on my computer, so there won't be 10 images this time.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So Wait, One thing I'm confused about

Is Ryu supposed to be Fast or More Slow than I'm expecting. I would think he'd be kinda fast cause ninja and also a Katana Wielder

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Echo chamber is an echo chamber. You are still over inflating NGs worth as much as I am underselling it.
I recall several months ago that you said KOS-MOS was more likely to make it into Smash because of "personal bias and nostalgia," so you really have no right to call this place an echo chamber.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I recall several months ago that you said KOS-MOS was more likely to make it into Smash because of "personal bias and nostalgia," so you really have no right to call this place an echo chamber.
I atleast admit it.

I'm not talking about this board. Go to any source of information of gaming history, they'll all say the same things about Ninja Gaiden: that it's iconic, highly influential, successful, fondly remembered, etc.

You speak as if this were a phenomenon limited to this site, which only leads everyone to believe that you're woefully misinformed as there's no way you found different discourse on the series elsewhere.

You're allowed to dislike a game, but you're on the wrong side of history my friend. Facts are facts.
I will concede on some of the points made about its impact, even if I do not see them personally. But I still believe people are over inflating his chances.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So Wait, One thing I'm confused about

Is Ryu supposed to be Fast or More Slow than I'm expecting. I would think he'd be kinda fast cause ninja and also a Katana Wielder
Very fast. Ninja Gaiden is all about speed. The NES games pretty much require that you memorize the levels' layouts and enemies' patterns so that you can keep running forward without missing a beat, and the modern games require very fast reflexes and tons of moving around (more than other games in the genre).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I just want Ryu Hayabusa to play like the NES trilogy more than Dead or Alive so he'd be like Simon and Megaman. That is all.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just want Ryu Hayabusa to play like the NES trilogy more than Dead or Alive so he'd be like Simon and Megaman. That is all.
Ugh no, I'd rather not another zoning retro character that relies on spamming projectiles. Give me the modern stylish action Ryu which incorportates all his retro tools in fun ways while also having a suite of his own moves like the flying swallo and izuna drop.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Do you guys think Sol and/or Ragna will become mii Costumes (if you don't think they are Playable?)
I hope they do. GGX wss my first ps2 game. Would love to see some representation from that series. Premium mii with still in the dark please.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah it doesn't work like that. And anyone who thinks that has no idea what they are talking about. Nintendo doesn't plan to release these games like you are suggestiing. Games are made when they can be made. Games are released when they can be released. They cannot swap the releases of these games. And Nintendo doesn't snap their fingers and round up a team to make games. They straight up restarted Metroid Prime 4 because they didn't like how it was going. Nintendo is insanely particular about how a mainline game should be and who should make it. But a simple spin off is different. Next Level Games just so happen to be making a first person shooter on the 3DS at the time. The stars aligned and Federation Force was made. The fact that they decided apply the Metroid brand to Next Level's project shows Nintendo believes the brand can make money. Which is always a good thing in my eyes.

Please don't talk to me about 7 years when I as a DK fan had to wait 10 years from DK64 to DKC Returns with nothing but Bongos and peg swingers. Sometimes you have to wait a long time when a series does not have a designated development team. Also Federation Force is not devoid of anything Metroid and it shows that you probably never played/looked into it. And based on your opinions on ARMS you probably do this for a lot of games.

Like I said, if Nintendo made a spin off for F-Zero it is a sign that they are still interested in the IP and may make a new title in the future. Right now there is dead silence, and a spin off would be a sign of life and a glimmer of hope. I already said this and you completely ignored it.

So yeah I think you've proved my point. You take Nintendo releasing FF as being tone deaf instead of understanding that it was the result of timing and circumstance. Just like people felt about Lucina and Dark Pit.
Keep telling yourself that, you're clearly not listening if you think me saying Fed Force left a bad taste in Metroid fans' mouth due to it being the first game in 7 years with the next mainline game not getting announced until a year later is the exact same as "How dare they make this small bonus and show it off in a short timespan between fully fledged newcomers". The two scenarios cannot be more different, and if you're just gonna go "nou criticism bad" despite talking about how long it took to get a new mainline DKC, then we're clearly done here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom