• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it’s foolish to rule anything out to be honest.

But I also think taking note of the fact that the first party choices have had some promotional aspect to them should be kept in mind, as well as the overall delivery of the Challenger Packs.

It isn’t to say all first parties are out of the running because, again, that’s foolish. But I think that’s where the conversation leans toward, like, among the 1st party picks, who stands out? That usually takes us back to Pokémon though.

To which, honestly, I think everybody would agree that if they got their most wanted they probably wouldn’t actually care if we got a Pokémon.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, the absolute earliest we'd get a SwSh Pokémon at this point is next year. It's not unbelievable to think they'd make Spirits to commorate the release of a AAA game instead of waiting at least a year and three months.

Besides, I'm sure they'd recycle most, if not all of the Spirits for the Spirit Board. It's not like any time was wasted.
They waited 6 months to do Three Houses spirits alongside Byleth. They easily could've held off on Sword/Shield if they were going to be revisiting it in the future.

Keep in mind that the Galar spirit event was over two months after they announced that there would be more DLC characters beyond FP5. I doubt they would've jumped the gun if a Galar DLC character was in the works.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

But I also think taking note of the fact that the first party choices have had some promotional aspect to them should be kept in mind, as well as the overall delivery of the Challenger Packs.

It isn’t to say all first parties are out of the running because, again, that’s foolish. But I think that’s where the conversation leans toward, like, among the 1st party picks, who stands out? That usually takes us back to Pokémon though.

To which, honestly, I think everybody would agree that if they got their most wanted they probably wouldn’t actually care if we got a Pokémon.
What I personally don't get is the notion that we can't get 3rd party characters from existing franchises, like Dr. Eggman from Sonic. The only precedent is "it hasn't happened before," which I don't think is enough to go off of.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Looks like I’ve caught myself into a gen 8 argument (sort of idk)
Everyone’s all like “gen 8 is still likley cope and prepare for disappointment”

and here I am expecting the next spirit event to promote the 2 Pokémon dlcs with these as the new spirits(kubfu would be an enhanceable spirit)
747BFD58-4041-48C0-9655-10F4689ADA5D.jpeg

personally I think it makes sense since it would be the week after the crown tundra came out which was the same to the gen 8 spirits last year which came out a week after swsh(and that tourney)

one Last thing, if a gen 8 were to come then I would say it would have been in min mins spot or Steve’s(during crown tundra) without releasing the 4 spirits, there’s no way they would have hold back a gen 8 for 2 years after releasing the spirits in 2019, it just makes no sense to me for them to do that it feels unlogical, we should have had one right about now

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I've been thinking about this lately, mostly how funny it is how these tables have turned.

Characters who would be pretty standard fare during base roster speculation now have the potential to be some of the biggest left field surprises - barring the aforementioned promotional characters and/or characters who have debuted on Switch. Mostly because so far DLC doesn't appear to have room for them based on the trend of third party collaborations and characters tied to more recent Nintendo endeavors.

Almost makes me feel like it's a little more likely than we think... because it seems unlikely. I know, it's silly and personally I'm not expecting any additional first parties myself, just that the moment we let our guard down and expect one thing I instinctively feel like I should remind myself about the opposite, in case they wanna really surprise us. After all, Nintendo has a great pool of characters to work with for pretty much free.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
What I personally don't get is the notion that we can't get 3rd party characters from existing franchises, like Dr. Eggman from Sonic. The only precedent is "it hasn't happened before," which I don't think is enough to go off of.
"It hasn't happened before"
Is this regarding DLC or are people blatantly ignoring Ken?
Don't give me that Echo Fighter look. Street Fighter got a fighter in Smash 3DS/Wii U and then Ken came for Ultimate. That counts, even when disregarding Simon and Richter for becoming playable at the same time.

And while I don't think Eggman will get in since the DLC for the most part is focusing on new series, I would not be unhappy if he did get in the DLC, especially if he brings more Sonic music that isn't vocal music.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Don't give me that Echo Fighter look. Street Fighter got a fighter in Smash 3DS/Wii U and then Ken came for Ultimate. That counts, even when disregarding Simon and Richter for becoming playable at the same time.

And while I don't think Eggman will get in since the DLC for the most part is focusing on new series, I would not be unhappy if he did get in the DLC, especially if he brings more Sonic music that isn't vocal music.
What makes me think Eggman has the edge is the Badniks. Not a single one of them have a Spirit, unless you count Metal Sonic, and I think that could allow Eggman to supply his Spirit Board. Plus, as you said, Sonic is really lacking in the music department.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What makes me think Eggman has the edge is the Badniks. Not a single one of them have a Spirit, unless you count Metal Sonic, and I think that could allow Eggman to supply his Spirit Board. Plus, as you said, Sonic is really lacking in the music department.
Speaking of which, who wants remixes of Classic Eggman boss fights like Big Arms and the Doomsday Zone theme?

TheBeastHimself

DLC. But yeah, you give good reasoning for disbelieving, most people just say "well it hasn't happened before" and don't always provide the best reasons.

Eggman would be a sick DLC character. The Hard Boiled Heavies would be welcome spirits. Eggman could bring in so much awesome and unrepresented music. He'd just be awesome in my opinion.

Hopefully trends can be broken and the idea of only new franchises as DLC will be burned alive by the glorious Robotnik.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Question: if Vol. 2 had 10 fighters instead of 6 (2 Echoes can come with any one of these), which ones would you pick? Only rule is that you have to include the officially revealed fighters as well. Here are mine:

• 76: Min Min
  • 76ε: Ninjara
  • 77: Sora
  • 78: Steve
  • 79: Euden
  • 80: Crash Bandicoot
  • 81: Sakura Shinguji
  • 81ε: Sakura Amamiya
  • 82: Bandana Dee
  • 83: Scorbunny
  • 84: Monster Hunter
  • 85: Crazy Dave
Honorable mentions: King Boo, Frogger, Jill Valentine

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Along with that is figuring how much of a Crossover there is Between Smash and the New Audience that would be catered to

Just because you throw in a Popular Franchise as a guest in a Game, doesn't mean all of the fans will flock. Whether the Audience would be for FPS Fans, Visual Novels, MOBAs, etc, Figuring which new audience would be more likely to buy a Fighting game is something to consider, even if they have their favorite characters in it
More than that.
You have to consider the value of adding a character - is it to grow a Nintendo franchise for future sales? Is it to sell the character? Is it to sell the game? Is it to sell the console? Is it to create a partnership? This and so much more could be used as reasoning.

TheBeastHimself

Speaking of which, who wants remixes of Classic Eggman boss fights like Big Arms and the Doomsday Zone theme?
I agree with Ivander Ivander about having more non-vocal Sonic music. Sonic's best hits are instrumentals that are so catchy and OMG very good.

I want to see Hydrocity, Studiopolis, Metropolis Zone, hell, even Carnival Night Zone music make it into Smash. Imagine a creepy remix of:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
DLC. But yeah, you give good reasoning for disbelieving, most people just say "well it hasn't happened before" and don't always provide the best reasons.

Eggman would be a sick DLC character. The Hard Boiled Heavies would be welcome spirits. Eggman could bring in so much awesome and unrepresented music. He'd just be awesome in my opinion.

Hopefully trends can be broken and the idea of only new franchises as DLC will be burned alive by the glorious Robotnik.

Since when do eggs give off heat though

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like many others have said, each 1st party pick so far has gotten in for promotional reasons, which means they have to have some sort of reason for Nintendo to want to devote dev time and resources to promote it. From what I can remember, the series that fit this criteria are:
  • ARMS in order to keep the series in the public eye, and to try to grow its popularity a bit before the next game hits in a few years, as well as to try and create interest in ARMS tournaments.
  • Kirby with its new game coming out.
  • Pikmin if Pikmin 4 is going to be a thing next year.
  • Pokémon because Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield sold disgustingly well, has new DLC, and and anniversary event next year.
  • Ring Fit Adventure because it is a new IP that released.
  • Super Mario due to its anniversary.
  • The Legend of Zelda due to everything it has going on.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles in order to keep the series in the public eye, and to try to grow its popularity a bit before the next game hits in a few years.
Of these:
  • ARMS got a character.
  • Kirby's game isn't confirmed yet, nor do we know its scope. It's a series that consistently does alright, but not amazing, so this game is gonna have to be pretty ambitious for Nintendo to want to promote it like this.
  • I doubt Pikmin 4 will be coming next year since it's in development heck in the best case scenario.
  • Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield have missed their chance, but it isn't impossible for one to get in for its anniversary depending on what they're planning for it.
  • Ring Fit Adventure got a Spirit event, and while the game was successful, it was unknown how successful it would be at the time of roster selection.
  • Super Mario has missed its chance. You could make the argument that they could decide to end the pass on a fan favorite character in Geno, but I highly doubt they'd actually do that. I know Geno is a 3rd party character, but he's still a Super Mario character, so he's relevant to the discussion in that way.
  • The Legend of Zelda has a costume within the pass, and there aren't any viable characters that will be relevant beyond the technically not a spin-off musou game.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles's most recent game already has a character, and it's most recent new game has it's character as a costume in the previous pass, which is still used as part of its selling point.
So, imo, will we get a character from these series?
  • ARMS: Yes.
  • Kirby: Probably not.
  • Pikmin: No.
  • Pokémon: Maybe.
  • Ring Fit Adventure: No.
  • Super Mario: No.
  • The Legend of Zelda: No.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Maybe.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
On the topic of second character for third party (Eggman, Chun-li, Alucard etc.) I personnally don't think it will happen this dlc. Not because it's impossible, but will so little spot still available, I think they will try to put some more new universe before filling in some already represented franchises. Also, DLC aren't just new characters, they come with stages and music. And while yes, there's clearly enough material to make a third Sonic stages and there's some music not in the game, I feel like it's going to be repetitive a bit if we just add more stuff from those franchise because most of the Sonic games are already represented in Music or Sprits. Three houses cases was different because it's a completely new world and universe which wasn't represented in Smash in any way.

I think that those characters will be super interesting to discuss in the next Smash games, but for now I personally doubt they have really a big chance.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As of right now, Monster Hunter is the only third-party that I believe has a strong chance of getting in, and that's mostly because it's in a similar position as DQ (extremely popular in Japan, strong ties with Nintendo). Even then, how hard is it to picture it randomly getting its two costumes back and a Spirit event when the new game launches? That seems just as likely.

Min Min and Steve are so wildly different that it's hard to grasp what direction Nintendo is going with this pass.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
If I had to put money on who I think we would get as the final 4 non bias and just guesses would be. Crash, Monster Hunter/Dragon, Nintendo Pick (Pokemon rep, Rex or BOTW character) and Doom Guy

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Looks like I’ve caught myself into a gen 8 argument (sort of idk)
Everyone’s all like “gen 8 is still likley cope and prepare for disappointment”

and here I am expecting the next spirit event to promote the 2 Pokémon dlcs with these as the new spirits(kubfu would be an enhanceable spirit)View attachment 290041
personally I think it makes sense since it would be the week after the crown tundra came out which was the same to the gen 8 spirits last year which came out a week after swsh(and that tourney)

one Last thing, if a gen 8 were to come then I would say it would have been in min mins spot or Steve’s(during crown tundra) without releasing the 4 spirits, there’s no way they would have hold back a gen 8 for 2 years after releasing the spirits in 2019, it just makes no sense to me for them to do that it feels unlogical, we should have had one right about now
There would be a Halloween-themed event next weekend. Maybe a Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirit Event?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Like many others have said, each 1st party pick so far has gotten in for promotional reasons, which means they have to have some sort of reason for Nintendo to want to devote dev time and resources to promote it. From what I can remember, the series that fit this criteria are:
  • The Legend of Zelda has a costume within the pass, and there aren't any viable characters that will be relevant beyond the technically not a spin-off musou game.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles's most recent game already has a character, and it's most recent new game has it's character as a costume in the previous pass, which is still used as part of its selling point.
Breath of the Wild 2 is more Breath of the Wild so I think it falls under XB's example of already being in. I mean, it's not like BotW1 content is gonna be invalidated by 2.

Of course the game promo pick might only come out in the next year giving us no chance to guess who it is, between Nintendo releasing games with very short hype cycles and all the internal delays and stuff.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Dr.Egmann would have been a very cool boss fight, recreating a fight very similary to any of the Genesis/MegaDrive Sonic games.

FP2 orientation is a bit difficult to guess, so far we have two characters that hace their games on Switch, this is maybe a clue but who knows the direction of next fighters. Anything is possible.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well Starting with FP2, They started linking the games the DLC characters Come from to the Eshop

Banjo and Joker don't have links. I bet they want to have all characters in FP2 have Games on Switch. That doesn't really narrow anything down, except for Maybe suggesting 2B might not be in, but you know

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well Starting with FP2, They started linking the games the DLC characters Come from to the Eshop

Banjo and Joker don't have links. I bet they want to have all characters in FP2 have Games on Switch. That doesn't really narrow anything down, except for Maybe suggesting 2B might not be in, but you know
This actually applies to all of the DLC characters with Switch games (Hero, Terry, and Byleth also have one), which makes this a meaningless observation since they're willing to just not include the links if none exist.

7NATOR

Smash Master
This actually applies to all of the DLC characters with Switch games (Hero, Terry, and Byleth also have one), which makes this a meaningless observation since they're willing to just not include the links if none exist.
I know. I'm just suggesting that with them putting in this link , this might be bigger focus than in FP1. that or maybe they just thought it be good idea to advertise on the Site. It especially helps Min-Min

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If people hate how many swordies there are in Smash, then I think they're going to have a field day with something like Samurai Shodown.
SamSho isn't trying to represent all of video gaming.

I don't know if Power Fighters give Mega Man the Mega Upper or not
Not unless it's some kinda secret movie. The combat in PF plays like a normal MM game. The characters don't have a bunch of added melee attacks.

From what I can gather, Crash seems to be a general agreement around here. Most people seem to think he's pretty likely, so there just isn't much to talk about regarding him.
I wouldn't find him at all surprising. I just don't think he deserves it because his games are trash.

which Phoenix Wright theme? there's two y'know
The only one that matters.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Either Luigi's Mansion 3 or Jack from Animal Crossing will get a spirit
There would be a Halloween-themed event next weekend. Maybe a Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirit Event?
They don’t celebrate holidays & luigis mansion was long ago

It’s unlikely for a Halloween spirit event to happen we didn’t get One last year

and Besides the next event would be on the 30th not the 31st

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They don’t celebrate holidays & luigis mansion was long ago

It’s unlikely for a Halloween spirit event to happen we didn’t get One last year
Yeah I was just spitballing in case for some reason this year was different. (although time didn't stop Paper Mario or Octopath. but I digress)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Question: if Vol. 2 had 10 fighters instead of 6 (2 Echoes can come with any one of these), which ones would you pick? Only rule is that you have to include the officially revealed fighters as well.
76. Min Min [Arms]
77. Steve/Alex [Minecraft]
78. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
79. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
80. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
81. Kunio [River City Ransom]
81e. Riki [River City Ransom]
82. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
83. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
84. Shantae [Shantae]
85. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]

Status