• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Ive noticed lately there's been a sudden increase in support for kasumi from doa lately

Why is that? She wasnt talked about much until recently

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So with Overwatch very likely coming to switch, that reopens potential Blizzard characters.

Diablo, Thrall, Kerrigan, or Tracer, who’s the most likely?

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Ive noticed lately there's been a sudden increase in support for kasumi from doa lately

I think because the latest rumor is a female character that was not highly requested. Kasumi would be a KoeiTecmo character since she’s presumably the main character in DOA. I’m still partial to Ayane still myself since she could cover DOA,Ninja Gaiden, and Warriors Orochi all at once. Also, there aren’t enough purple haired women in Smash, but I digress.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Daemon X Machina has a customizable main character. I doubt a leaker would describe them as female and leave it at that.

D

Deleted member

https://twitter.com/matttVEVO/status/1166262420886736896?s=19

Not embedding the link because of nsfw language but this is how I feel newcomer speculation usually is, and it's so tiring these days.
Pretty much the issue with the fanbase is being single minded. Pre-E3 most people were just focused on the whole Erdrick rumors and datamine that made the wait for the reveal exhausting.

And that was with 4 spots available to talk about but no, talk was stopped on either:
  • DQ/SE rep and all the debacles about whether there was a character coming or was leakbait
  • Banjo vs Steve and all the **** flinging between the fanbases
People forgot that even if we got those two (and we got those two) we could still talk about more characters but speculation got stuck.

I really hoped for discussion to consider more than one option now with 2 spots left in the pass but most of the time is just rethreading the same stuff everytime with the same characters, when someone brings someone different they are just shot down due to the other characters being a "lock" or being the only likely given "evidence".

If anything I welcome these leaks as they gave different stuff to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So with Overwatch very likely coming to switch, that reopens potential Blizzard characters.

Even before the whole Overwatch Switch leak, Tracer was definitely the most likely out of all of them imo. Diablo is a close runnerup though.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I find the evolution of this leak silly. Once the "Mech" part came out it's like people forgot the first post. It's kind of hilarious seeing people say it could be Elma, KOS-MOS or even 2B. All three of those characters have noticable demand and neither would peaople be particularly confused by their inclusions. I said it earlier in the thread, I'm 90% positive the first 'leak' was to incite Reimu ****posting and the second one was cashing in on the Overwatch hubub by implicating D.Va rather than Tracer. There's really no need to give it any attention.

and are we even sure if those 2 rumors (the mecha rumor and the confused female character rumor last night) are from the same person.
It's 4chan. Without a tripcode, the likelihood of it being the same person are minuscule.

Because people are trying to fit her into the "unexpected female" leak. I think her chances are dead due to the DoA Producer already saying Sakurai hasn't spoken with them.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice

Personally would want Thrall but his is the only series not on a Nintendo system (presuming Overwatch is coming to switch).
Jim Raynor would probably be the more likely choice for Starcraft, and he would be cool to have but I have doubts about his kit.

Diablo his/herself is not playable in the series proper, and is a better fit as a boss anyway.
One of the player characters from Diablo might be interesting, particularly since Heroes of the Storm gave them names now too. My bet would be Xul the necromancer, or Li-Ming the Wizard since both are technically recurring characters from Diablo 2 and 3.

I’ve already discussed Tracer who is probably the easiest to adapt honestly.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
If I leaned toward the costume theory/all existing third parties getting another rep and entertained the very vague statement, I would honestly lean toward KOS-MOS for Bamco.

Again - it makes sense as it is Bamcos “every girl” and she pops up in a lot of their other games. Her being in Xenoblade also helps promote that franchise for Nintendo (plus you’d figure licensing and agreements would already be pretty easy)

Although anime, I think a robot chick with big guns and blue hair would be a fresh change of pace and offer something new.

——————

However, I think it is important to remember that all Third Party characters have legacy in gaming (or hail from it like w Joker and SMT) or with Nintendo (Banjo & Bayonetta)

That being said if you look at the history of gaming and titles on nintendo consoles - you can likely cut down on the options for our last Fighters.

Some of the franchise I would consider standouts in terms of their history are below - the idea is that the announcement of anyone from these franchises is a big deal:

Resident Evil (this franchise has been around for years & helped support the GameCube - plus we are getting all them ports)

DOOM/HALO: Both Marines and icons of the FPS Genre and online gaming (pc/console)

Ninja Gaiden - Last hold out really for third party classic NES Franchise. Tecmo is close with Nintendo

Tomb Raider - Popular early 3D adventure/action/platformer. Lara is mainstream. Could be unique, but unsure of current relevance (plus, square)

Crash - Similar rise of franchise fame to Tomb Raider in the 3D era. Recent resurgence could be womba fruitful.

Monster Hunter - Popular Portable Franchise just breaking out in the West. Nintendo supported the franchise on handheld and cultivated it in some ways. (Personally feel like Rathalos is the Rep here though)

Assassins Creed - Newer franchise, largely popular with (almost) yearly releases. Nintendo and Ubisoft collaborate frequently. Ubi tries a little bit to get the games functioning in Nintendo Platforms.

Minecraft - Not my jam, but has had a huge influence on younger gamers.

Tetris - obviously huge but don’t know how you represent this aside from a playable piece, stage and the classic music, not sure Lip appeals to widestream.

Other mentions: Kingdom Hearts, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Elderscrolls, Fallout, The sims (...Dr.Wright?!!), GTA (do not find this pick likely at all) God of War and Gears (although feel they are very tied up w their consoles)

———-

If I had to put money on it - I would go Leon/Jill (same idea as Hero) from Resident Evil for their impact on gaming and some exclusivity on Nintendo platforms. Carried the GC for me aside from melee. Still going strong.

Doom Slayer or Chief for the invent/reinvent of the FPS and online. Getting Chief would be a huge announcement for both Nintendo and Microsoft (plus a bit safer pick than DOOM Slayer with all the Ripping and Tearing)

Ryu H - Last Classic holdout and Tecmo is close with Nintendo. More of a Legacy pick like Simon

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Both Tracer and Overwatch may have recency, but Warcraft was what turned Blizzard into a powerhouse in the first place (between Warcraft 1, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, and Hearthstone). I'd certainly place my bets on Thrall if we ever got a newcomer to represent Blizzard.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Both Tracer and Overwatch may have recency, but Warcraft was what turned Blizzard into a powerhouse in the first place (between Warcraft 1, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, and Hearthstone). I'd certainly place my bets on Thrall if we ever got a newcomer to represent Blizzard.
Some would say Starcraft was the bigger thing, until world of warcraft, though I dont hear too much around it nowadays.

Not my first choices for something in smash, but it'd be pretty dang rad if anything from blizzard did happen.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Both Tracer and Overwatch may have recency, but Warcraft was what turned Blizzard into a powerhouse in the first place
I wish more people applied this same logic to Bethesda.

But yeah, Warcraft would be an unexpected and very interesting pick, plus WoW was huge for MMOs to the franchise has historical notoriety. The only thing standing in its way is a lack of presence on Nintendo systems.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
In light of the recent interjection towards the 4chan leak, another character to consider is Jill from Drill Dozer.

She was an assist trophy in Brawl and has had minimal to no notable requests at all. She would also fit the criteria of a female character that would disappoint and confuse a lot of people considering how she's not super popular and would be unexpected.

As someone else had previously mentioned, characters like 2B, Elma, KOS-MOS, and D.va are each requested fairly highly and wouldn't confuse anyone. Not to mention how Elma is technically deconfirmed since Reggie said that the remaining DLC will be from franchises not already represented in Smash through a playable character.

Again: Jill is a female character that uses a mech and could disappoint and confuse people. She would be one of the most unexpected characters if she does get revealed. Her lack of spirits and assist trophy could justify her inclusion too.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Forget Tracer, give me Illidan!

So...D.Va then.
Hard disagree given how D.va is one of the most popular characters in the game and plenty of people care about her. Not to mention that Tracer would be represented before her since she's more iconic and essentially the poster girl for the franchise.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Warcraft is one of my favorite franchises, I've played WoW for 13 years and Warcraft III before that, but I really don't see it fitting into Smash, it's difficult to translate either the RTS or MMO gameplay into Smash, and the characters' personalities don't work well only at a surface level, which is what they'd be limited to. If any I agree with it being Thrall, but the idea still doesn't really sit right with me.

For a Blizzard rep I'd rather Diablo, preferably with the Diablo 2 design. An Overwatch rep would be pretty lame as a longtime Blizzard fan, Blizzard's peak years were from the late 90s to mid 00s, so while Overwatch is their modern hit, it's nowhere near being their most influential or innovative title. I doubt there's anything in it either, it's just the same speculation we see everytime a big 3rd party title comes to the Switch, and so far none of that has really paid off (maybe DQXI, but with how Hero represents multiple games, I'd wager he'd have gotten in regardless).

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Does anyone have a complete list of characters mentioned in the same breath as Smash Bros. by their respective companies?

Bethesda hinted at Doom Slayer saying that Nintendo fans have something coming for Doom. They also shared a custom Smash stage of the Doom logo.
Capcom said that Dante should have a game on Switch before being in Smash, which he now does.
Activision said Crash would be awesome in a livestream.
Microsoft said that they'd like Master Chief in Smash.
And Shantae had that window fisco.
Am I missing any?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Bethesda hinted at Doom Slayer saying that Nintendo fans have something coming for Doom. They also shared a custom Smash stage of the Doom logo.
They could've just been referring to the ports, though who knows. Also when did they share a stage like that? Google only turns up some (very well made) fan stages of the logo.

And as far as I can tell, that's all of them.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Reggie's statement "character that are new to the series" should have pretty much eliminated all hope that an assist trophy would be one of the DLC. But there are people still hoping otherwise.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I really hoped for discussion to consider more than one option now with 2 spots left in the pass but most of the time is just rethreading the same stuff everytime with the same characters, when someone brings someone different they are just shot down due to the other characters being a "lock" or being the only likely given "evidence".
This or whoever brings up someone else doesn't have any sort of confidence in it and only really brought it up as a joke/wouldn't it be nice scenario.

EDIT: It's probably because no character has any evidence that it'll be in so the ones that make the most sense to the most people are the most appealing to talk about.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Reggie's statement "character that are new to the series" should have pretty much eliminated all hope that an assist trophy would be one of the DLC. But there are people still hoping otherwise.
That comment can be worded multiple different ways. It's just poorly worded.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You know with the Banjo game mentions in the PAL version of Brawl's Chronicle, they technically aren't entirely new to the series...
Ryu H - Last Classic holdout and Tecmo is close with Nintendo. More of a Legacy pick like Simon
Contra: ...Am I a joke to you?
Does anyone have a complete list of characters mentioned in the same breath as Smash Bros. by their respective companies?

Capcom said that Dante should have a game on Switch before being in Smash, which he now does.
Activision said Crash would be awesome in a livestream.
Microsoft said that they'd like Master Chief in Smash.
And Shantae had that window fisco.
Am I missing any?
*Couple of guys on a livestream said it'd be cool, not Activision themselves.

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
"New to the series" does imply that spirits de-confirm characters though.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

Well, based on the way that most of the third parties have been represented, the promo character would be the one chosen. Look at Snake from Metal Gear Solid, Simon from Castlevania, Pacman as a rep of Namco. (Characters like Richter are more so the exception to the rule.) Tracer would be most likely, because she is featured on most promo materials. Look, for instance, at Joker. Joker is considered the main character, and features in a lot of promo material. In a similar vein, Tracer would be the most likely candidate from Overwatch, at least in our opinion. (But... if they add Genji instead, we won't mind at all)

SKX31

Smash Master
They add the main characters.
Not promotional characters.
Jesus.
Promotional characters are certainly part of the equation - and dependent on the specific case. Ignoring Roy, Pichu and Corrin there's Luminary specifically (I would contend that Hero in general's promotional in the West - generally - but a fan request in Japan) since DQ XI S is timed not long after his Smash debut. Any character who's not that known in Japan would also count as promotional there - Tracer could count as fan request in the West and Korea / China.

Promotion's not the whole equation of course - but part of it. Dunno if Square would be as eager to allow Hero without Luminary and XI S.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You know, an unrequested and confusing female character would be that Tap Trial Girl from Rhythm Paradise; not my first choice for RP but I'll be fine with anyone at this point.

ze9

Smash Ace
Promotional characters are certainly part of the equation - and dependent on the specific case. Ignoring Roy, Pichu and Corrin there's Luminary specifically (I would contend that Hero in general's promotional in the West - generally - but a fan request in Japan) since DQ XI S is timed not long after his Smash debut. Any character who's not that known in Japan would also count as promotional there - Tracer could count as fan request in the West and Korea / China.

Promotion's not the whole equation of course - but part of it. Dunno if Square would be as eager to allow Hero without Luminary and XI S.
Yeah yeah yeah Smash is nothing but a big promotional tool etc. etc.
God I'm tired of this kind of speculation.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah yeah yeah Smash is nothing but a big promotional tool etc. etc.
God I'm tired of this kind of speculation.
And I don't blame you at all for tiring of that. Again, part of - but not the whole equation. On the other hand, Sakurai probably wanted to include Erdrick and Solo out of their own merits. And Eight was a fan request from Western DQ fans. (Important Edit): Oh right, Luminary's game, DQ XI, did really well on both PS4 and 3DS on the first goaround.

My point is, it can get real complicated.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it looks complicated if people try to find a perfect pattern.

Sakurai is sakurai. :)

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I love how well Sakura from Sakura Wars fits in this new "leak"(which I don't believe at all but whatever)

-Female character: Check
-Not much demand: Check (I don't think many people believe she ever had any chance)
-Would disappoint a lot of people: Check (ANOTHER ANIME SWORDFIGHTER??? THE HORROR!!!!)
-Would confuse a lot of people: Check (many would think she originates from an anime, because her game had little exposure in the west)
-Pilots a Mecha: Check (a fairly small one, but still a mecha)

For extra salt: It's Sakura Amamiya from the upcoming Sakura Wars game instead of Sakura Shinguji, so everyone would shout "SHILL PICK!!!!" in unison :joyful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom