• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This new rumor is just too vague to be credible.
Including Elma to advertise a port of a game that didn't do that well the first time around would probably get a worse backlash than Corrine.
I think the context is too different to make a comparaison. People hated Corrin because they where done with Fire emblem characters, now we only have one Xenoblade rep. Also I think that most wii u games that where port on switch did better on the switch (such as Mario kart 8, Pokken and Bayonetta 2), so it wouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to try this games on switch.

That being said, I agree that there would be backlash, especially from Rex fans.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
They may be fake (like they're totally fake let's be honest here) but it makes the pool something like 2B, Elma, KOS-MOS, Tron Bonne, Susie, D.Va, or even with a stretch my girl Marina Liteyears (Blockman and the Beastector Mech totally count!).

Not a bad potential lineup at all. Obviously not gonna happen and this is all fake leaks for the sake of fake leaks but it's fun to speculate on a pool using criteria.

Including Elma to advertise a port of a game that didn't do that well the first time around would probably get a worse backlash than Corrine.
Elma is dope as **** and Xenocross is a good game, hush

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I believe that they're just trying to tease Xenoblade Chronicles X fans into thinking that Elma's getting in.

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
Elma is dope as **** and Xenocross is a good game, hush
We all have characters we think are dope from games we think are good.

I think the context is too different to make a comparaison. People hated Corrin because they where done with Fire emblem characters, now we only have one Xenoblade rep. Also I think that most wii u games that where port on switch did better on the switch (such as Mario kart 8, Pokken and Bayonetta 2), so it wouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to try this games on switch.

That being said, I agree that there would be backlash, especially from Rex fans.
I agree the scenarios aren't identical, but I still think the backlash would be comparable if not worse. Not only because of Rex fans, or because people have become even more weary of shill picks, but because the fighter pass has set such a high bar in terms of what is possible. I mean, just the discussion going from icons like Tracer and Doomguy to a literal who like Elma should say all I need to say. Put Tracer inand the reastion is "wow Overwatch in Smash!" Put Elma in and the reaction is "so is she like from Shulk's game?"

Not that I think this is remotely likely. Riddle leaks are always fake, and if it were somehow true I would sooner assume D.Va.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think this whole hysteria over Tracer being added is just people seeing what they want to see. The Smash community has a very bad habit of automatically assuming that any third party franchise that gets a game on the Switch must be getting a character to go along with this. It happened when the N. Sane Trilogy came to the Switch, it happened Dark Souls: Remastered came to the Switch, and now it's happening with Overwatch coming to the Switch.

Likewise, people have been predicting that Fighter #4 would be a female for awhile now (despite no real evidence to suggest this would be the case), so a 4Chan leak that states this really doesn't catch my attention. It's going to take a lot more evidence than that to convince me that Tracer is next.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, a fake leak, a real leak (the Overwatch case), and the general heightened expectation for characters from a recently announced Switch title (which, as Garteam raised, is nothing new) have really culminated into a belief stronger than the sum of its parts, thanks largely in part to lucky timing of both leaks.

The only thing that you should actually take away from this is that Overwatch is very likely coming to the Switch. Anything else is the fanbase running away with things and playing into the leaker's hands like normal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Overwatch in smash would be a pretty big deal and get quite a bit of traction. It'd be a smart move of nintendo to work with blizzard.

But it's kind of weird of a leak to say it'd be a character people dont know. Or is it just that people wouldn't expect it and lots of people would still love that?
In any case, It's fun that at least speculation is pciking a bit back up again.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, a fake leak, a real leak (the Overwatch case), and the general heightened expectation for characters from a recently announced Switch title (which, as Garteam raised, is nothing new) have really culminated into a belief stronger than the sum of its parts, thanks largely in part to lucky timing of both leaks.

The only thing that you should actually take away from this is that Overwatch is very likely coming to the Switch. Anything else is the fanbase running away with things and playing into the leaker's hands like normal.
Agreed - still, I think the real take-away is that Overwatch has a somewhat real chance. As someone whose two favorite videogames never mesh the difference between "possible" and "impossible" is a major one.

And I did look at the various Overwatch forums - they reacted (somewhat) similarily as people did here.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Overwatch in smash would be a pretty big deal and get quite a bit of traction. It'd be a smart move of nintendo to work with blizzard.

But it's kind of weird of a leak to say it'd be a character people dont know. Or is it just that people wouldn't expect it and lots of people would still love that?
In any case, It's fun that at least speculation is pciking a bit back up again.
The leak said people would be confused and disappointed.

It's vague enough to even fit any female character depending on their opinion.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Lemme hear your September Nintendo Direct wishlists.

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
- Mario Odyssey/Sunshine news
- If they reveal Banjo gameplay give us Dragon Kazooie
1.Smash info of Fighter Pack 3 and the reveal of Fighter #4
2.Tomodachi Game to Switch
3. New 3D Mario Game
4. Mother 3
5. Remake of Fire Emblem 4, 5, or 6
6.New Mario Sport Game
7.F-Zero Game
8.Star Fox Game
9. Information about various upcoming games that we already know about

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The leak said people would be confused and disappointed.

It's vague enough to even fit any female character depending on their opinion.
I doubt nintendo would pick a dlc character that'd disappoint, especially if it wouldnt sell. (who would it disappoint?)

And if it's the same guy who posted about the mech part, then that kind of narrows it down quite a bit, but besides the ones mentioned (elma, kosmos, suzie, etc), i dont see who it could be, that'd disappoint too.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I doubt nintendo would pick a dlc character that'd disappoint, especially if it wouldnt sell. (who would it disappoint?)

And if it's the same guy who posted about the mech part, then that kind of narrows it down quite a bit, but besides the ones mentioned (elma, kosmos, suzie, etc), i dont see who it could be that'd disappoint.
I can see some disappointing people, though I'd hope for a more "okay whatever" reaction at worst so people don't start flinging crap at each other. Of course, every character has a lot of fans somewhere, even if they're not as vocal as others I don't really know, it's 4chan so I expect even some decently wanted characters to be seen as disappointing by them. They also said the character isn't demanded, though.

We don't know if it's the same guy who posted about the mech, though; they didn't use a tripcode. Both are from anonymous 4chan users.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I can see some disappointing people, though I'd hope for a more "okay whatever" reaction at worst so people don't start flinging crap at each other.
My bet is that Hero will be the most underwhelming character on this Fighters Pass. Not saying Hero is a bad addition by any means, im just saying if you compare Hero's initical reception to Joker or Banjos, it doesnt come close to topping those.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My bet is that Hero will be the most underwhelming character on this Fighters Pass. Not saying Hero is a bad addition by any means, im just saying if you compare Hero's initical reception to Joker or Banjos, it doesnt come close to topping those.
If you're talking about initial reaction, Hero's was super big compared to joker. But then the controversy came in with sakurai's video.

I can see some disappointing people, though I'd hope for a more "okay whatever" reaction at worst so people don't start flinging crap at each other. Of course, every character has a lot of fans somewhere, even if they're not as vocal as others I don't really know, it's 4chan so I expect even some decently wanted characters to be seen as disappointing by them. They also said the character isn't demanded, though.

We don't know if it's the same guy who posted about the mech, though; they didn't use a tripcode. Both are from anonymous 4chan users.
Well that's good in a way, since someone random coudl've just added the mech part. But since there isn't anything to back it up, it's kind of hard to give it anything anyway. Thankfully september 12th isn't very far off

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you're talking about initial reaction, Hero's was super big compared to joker. But then the controversy came in with sakurai's video.
In Japan, maybe. Joker's reaction was definitely more effusive - probably in part because no one really saw it coming at an event that wasn't guaranteed to even have Smash.

In the west, Hero's reaction wasn't negative, but it was definitely subdued compared to the other two.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Persona 5 is infinitely more popular in the west than any individual Dragon Quest game. But Hero was mostly for the Japanese fanbase.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can we not bring back the old debates about how big dragon quest is compared to the others? lol.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Can we not bring back the old debates about how big dragon quest is compared to the others? lol.
DQ isnt big enough in the West for it to be a part of Smash. I win bye byeeeeeeeee

Teeb147

Smash Legend
https://twitter.com/matttVEVO/status/1166262420886736896?s=19

Not embedding the link because of nsfw language but this is how I feel newcomer speculation usually is, and it's so tiring these days.
There's also loads to talk about for all sorts of characters even when there isn't much going for them (not having to rely on leaks or releases like those).

any speculation is fine, tho it doesn't always have to be about chances of getting in. Like what if people talked about how someone like tracer could be put in the game? We already just got joker who uses loads of gun stuff, so how would she be made different as a gun character?
She could obviously blink with 'charges', which would be pretty good in smash. But other than that i dont know how she could be fun and different.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Hero was only underwhelming on paper. The realization is top notch, Sakurai at his best, really.
The Toriyama movements are awesome and the command menu is the most hysterical special move in the history of Smash. Couple it the 4 different costumes and really, I can't see how Hero would be anything less than an awesome addition.
Sure Banjo got me way more emotional, but I can't really see how you could define Hero as "underwhelming". I mean, he's got Kamikazee! Among other things. The most dumb fun character in the game.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Hero was only underwhelming on paper. The realization is top notch, Sakurai at his best, really.
The Toriyama movements are awesome and the command menu is the most hysterical special move in the history of Smash. Couple it the 4 different costumes and really, I can't see how Hero would be anything less than an awesome addition.
Sure Banjo got me way more emotional, but I can't really see how you could define Hero as "underwhelming". I mean, he's got Kamikazee! Among other things. The most dumb fun character in the game.
i totally agree with you; i like hero. BUT, you can't tell me that the hype to Hero's addition came close to Banjo or Joker. ****, go watch some reaction vids (japanese ones too).

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I voted for Marina Lightyear from Mischief Makers and Khameleon from Mortal Kombat. What if one of my picks get in? I know it prolly won't happen, but what if...?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'd be down if Marina joined the roster. :nifty: Though in the game she mostly dashed, tackled, grabbed, and shook stuff; she could be an interesting character if she was designed as a grapple-type character.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I'd be down if Marina joined the roster. :nifty: Though in the game she mostly dashed, tackled, grabbed, and shook stuff; she could be an interesting character if she was designed as a grapple-type character.
I'm so happy I'm not the only one who wants her in the game... or knows who she is

RandomAce

Smash Champion
i totally agree with you; i like hero. BUT, you can't tell me that the hype to Hero's addition came close to Banjo or Joker. ****, go watch some reaction vids (japanese ones too).
The Japanese reactions will definitely tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's absolutely wild to see that other people voted for Marina Liteyears in the ballot. I always thought she was my wild pipe dream that only I ever wanted since I was a tiny kid playing Smash 64. She was my ballot pick too.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Galaxy brain take regarding the mech girl: It's actually Mettaton with Alphys as a major part of the moveset somehow. Yes I know this is a total stretch but goddammit I will find every conceivable way to make these fake leaks fit with an Undertale character

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Is she another Square character tho?
Edit: Nvm, merely distributed by Square in Japan.

Last edited:

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
any speculation is fine, tho it doesn't always have to be about chances of getting in. Like what if people talked about how someone like tracer could be put in the game? We already just got joker who uses loads of gun stuff, so how would she be made different as a gun character?
She could obviously blink with 'charges', which would be pretty good in smash. But other than that i dont know how she could be fun and different.
I think most of Tracer’s abilities would be straight forward:
Neural b is fire guns, holding and moving her around lets her run and gun. (Similar to Inkling). Trying to fire when out of ammo causes her to reload.

Side b would be her Blink ability. Basically fox’s side b with no lag time but also no damage and only causes free fall if all 3 charges are used. Each blink is shorter than fox’s but the total of the three would be further. Each charge would have a cool down period.

Up b would be slipstream. Tracer rewinds and returns to her screen position from three seconds ago. It also removes any damage occurred in the past three seconds. Also is on a cool down.

Down b would cause Tracer to reload, and builds a small amount of pulse bomb meter. If pulse bomb is charged, Tracer drops a pulse bomb on an enemy near her or otherwise drops it at her feet.

Final Smash would call in other overwatch members to tear things up.

I think Tracer would be more ui intensive than other characters by having to show her cooldowns and pulse bomb charges, because she’d easily be overpowered without cooldowns. Her speed would be similar Fox in Melee, but she’d be a bit lighter and easier to knock off the stage.
Her greatest weakness would be that she doesn’t have an easy way to traverse the stage vertically if her recall doesn’t zip her straight back.

All that being said, I’m not sure about Tracer. There are a lot of characters I’d prefer over her, even within her own game. Also, any kit she has will feel very much like Fox on speed.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Lemme hear your September Nintendo Direct wishlists.

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
- Mario Odyssey/Sunshine news
- If they reveal Banjo gameplay give us Dragon Kazooie
My wishlist?

- Super Mario 3D World Port + Free Captain Toad DLC to reintroduce the removed 3D World levels to the Treasure Tracker's Switch port. They're locked in the game's files, set them free Nintendo.
- Announcement of either Fire Emblem Warriors 2 or Hyrule Warriors 2/ Announcement of a new Nintendo IP Warriors game
- Mario Odyssey DLC announced...I feel like Mario Odyssey 2 or a new Mario game would have been announced at E3 if we had one coming
- Xenoblade X port to further render the Wii U useless.
- New Mario Maker 2 'style' announced, such as SMB2 style.
- Orange Box remaster for Switch, allowing Nintendo Die Hards the chance to experience some of the best non Ninty titles ever made.
- Another sneak peak at Breath of the Wild 2
- Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures announced for Switch allowing us to play the game without needing FIVE FRIGGING CONSOLES AND FOUR ADAPTER CABLES to enjoy it.
- Some new characters announced for Cadence of Hyrule. Impa, Ganondorf and Tingle would all be great choices.
- Rare Replay Switch edition so I can finally see what I missed out on with Banjo and relive Conker's Bad Fur Day.
- Sword and Shield showcases a different way to get missing Pokemon into the game rather than just not doing that.

I'd be surprised if even one of them happened though.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Purely for the sake of discussion, I couldn't imagine the logic of making Elma the 4th DLC character. She's a one off character who isn't popular or relevant and comes from the worst selling/received game in the Xenoblade series.
Considering her popularity, her appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the sequel bait at the end of Xenoblade Chronicles X I highly doubt she's going to be a one off character. I don't see her being one of the fighters pass characters though, and if she was she would be the weakest in the eyes of many due to her competition being a current hit, nostalgia incarnate, Mr. RPG, and unlimited potential (untill we find out who that is).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
None of the leaks actually indicate anything about Tracer being in Smash, even though we got the Overwatch Switch case leaked.

If you ask me though, I think she'd be absolutely dope in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom