• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, how is Overwatch doing in Japan? Is it as big as in the West or it's small? Would Tracer be a "literal who" or be well received in Japan?
It's totally fallen off, the only real audience that still cares is Korea, because it's blizzard.
Leaning towards "Literally who" territory, but has a niche following in Japan actually. I think it's rather telling that the best Japanese OW players (after some digging in Liquipedia) are in the Contenders (Tier 2) system and not Overwatch League (Tier 1). If Overwatch was really popular in Japan we would've seen a Tokyo-based team in the Overwatch League by now, since the OWL operates on city-based franchises.

EDIT: I'm saying this since - after some more digging - Japan does actually enter a team into the Overwatch World Cup. There's a presence, albeit slight - Blizzard requires a selection comittee for each nation wanting to enter the OWC. Also, there's this (very small sample size, 300 people) poll Famitsu did in 2017.

If anything an Overwatch rep - if everything falls into place that is - would be aimed at NA / EU / China / Korea.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Like I said, "Female characters that that don't have a lot of demand and might disappoint" is such a vague description that pretty much every female character might enter this criteria. People are thinking a lot of Tracer because it appears at the same time as the switch case leak, but it could be for example Cooking mama (don't have that much demand and a lot are not seriously expecting her so would confuse people), Jill Valentine (would confuse people that where expecting Leon Kennedy), Elma from Xenoblade chronicles X, Rhythm girl from rhythm heaven or Dixie kong (would confuse people because we were expecting only third parties at this point and will disappoint people that wanted big new franchises). It could also refer to Arle from Puyo puyo or even Lara Croft. The list of female fighters that would surprise and disappoint could be as big as I want it to be. Even if the leak is true, it pretty much means nothing.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Like I said, "Female characters that that don't have a lot of demand and might disappoint" is such a vague description that pretty much every female character might enter this criteria. People are thinking a lot of Tracer because it appears at the same time as the switch case leak, but it could be for example Cooking mama (don't have that much demand and a lot are not seriously expecting her so would confuse people), Jill Valentine (would confuse people that where expecting Leon Kennedy), Elma from Xenoblade chronicles X, Rhythm girl from rhythm heaven or Dixie kong (would confuse people because we were expecting only third parties at this point and will disappoint people that wanted big new franchises). It could also refer to Arle from Puyo puyo or even Lara Croft. The list of female fighters that would surprise and disappoint could be as big as I want it to be. Even if the leak is true, it pretty much means nothing.
That's kind of what it's so exciting to me. I've really been trying to think of literally every female character I can imagine that has a proper shot and they almost all bring something to the table. I guess it helps that a lot of my most-wanted are obscure women or those who seem to have a ghost of a chance.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Female character that might disappoint? I want it to be Celica or Sakura Shinguji - one is yet another Fire Emblem character and the other is a "literal who" to a lot of people, plus both use swords. Can't get any more "disappointing" than this :laugh:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Even though I don't believe the rumor, I've come up with a bit of a crack theory that suggests this might be alluding to Undyne if it were true. It'd line up with that throwable weapon female fighter rumor from a while back (has that been debunked yet? i'm not sure) and she'd certainly confuse people who either didn't want Undertale content or were expecting Frisk or Sans instead. At the very least, this is way more interesting to think about than the umpteenth Doomguy leak

Hidan

Smash Apprentice

before y'all slaughter me for posting a 4chan leak, i don't believe it but i'm not gonna deny that tracer in smash could be a reality.
Something like this is just so vague. Even something like Elsa from Frozen fits these qualifications:
-Isn’t demanded
-Would confuse a lot of people (being a 4th party rep)
-Would disappoint the fandom at large

(I’d be open to the idea personally, but still, a rumor like this is so vague that it could literally be almost anyone even if it is true)

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Can you imagine if it turns out the Katalina rumor was right all along
I was adamant that she would be in until the original leaker started backpedaling. I forgot this character even existed untill this point.
I actually consider her one of the most likely candidates now. Not because of the rumors, but because she would hit a huge audience thats currently untouched on the fighters pass, and Nintendo has stock in cygames.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I just dont see how the last two fighters in the pass are going to be anything BUT third party icons. Tracer may not be in demand, but I think she'd still fit along with Joker, DQ, and Banjo due to the fact that her series is/was ridiculously popular for a time. No matter what, I don't think either of the last two fighters will confuse people (for example, you may not like anime swordbois, but its obv understandable why DQ deserves its place in Smash).

No shot they'll make a Fire Emblem rep part of this pass, but I wouldn't be surprised if Edelgard was dropped as a bonus character down the line.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
update: the leaker for the female character "nobody cares about” has returned and apparently, she’s not well known and most importantly, CAN USE A MECHA

KOS-MOS/ELMA/MECHA-FIORA GANG RISE UP

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
update: the leaker for the female character "nobody cares about” has returned and apparently, she’s not well known and most importantly, CAN USE A MECHA

Mechanica for Smash!
She doesn’t actually have a Spirit in the game currently (only Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, and Twintelle do) so... almost surely means nothing, but yeah :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Mechanica for Smash!
She doesn’t actually have a Spirit in the game currently (only Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, and Twintelle do) so... almost surely means nothing, but yeah :p
This was actually my first thought too. This is, of course, assuming the leak is even real.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Honestly this feel like someone that just want his time of fame and add something to the popular leak of the moment and not the same leaker. This isn't the first time that someone on 4chan pretend to be an ancient leaker that came back to add more information.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
1. We don't know if that's the same leaker.
2. Riddle leaks are rarely true. (They can be entertaining though)

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Lemme hear your September Nintendo Direct wishlists.

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
- Mario Odyssey/Sunshine news
- If they reveal Banjo gameplay give us Dragon Kazooie

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
Is the Sunshine thing just the "watermelon hint"?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
-SNES games
- Wii U ports (particularly, in order of priority: Xenoblade Chronicles X, The Wonderful 101, Fatal Frame V, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3)
- EARTHBOUND BEGINNINGS FOR THE NES SERVICE PLEASE IT’S BEEN 3000 YEARS
- Mario Sunshine HD
- F-Zero GX HD (with online play and GC controller support)
- tease of EarthBound Finale (Mother 3’s English title)
- Smash update: Banjo-Kazooie detailed, Boss Mode feat. Gruntilda, Very Hard Mode for World of Light, ability to use the possession auras and fake fighter effects outside of WoL (must have beaten with good ending at least once to do this), and last but not least, Fighter Pack 4, which is revealed to be Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, comes with X music, Sylvalum stage and some X character Spirits that weren’t in base like Irina, L, Nagi, Gwin, Ga Jiarg etc.

... what? You said wishlist

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
Aside for a Smash characters, I'd like to see Pikmin 4, that new IP from Monolith soft (but maybe it's still too soon), something related to earthbound (like a remaster) and either a new Wario ware or Rhythm heaven. But honestly when I'm watching a Nintendo direct I just want to be surprised and I doubt any of these things will happen.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
-Something with Banjo-Kazooie
-Rare Replay
-SNES Online
-EarthBound Beginnings on the NES Online
-Mother 3
-Pikmin 4 or at least Pikmin Trilogy
-Next Smash newcomer and it's Steve, Geno, or Sans & Papyrus among some others

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
Wishlist you said? Okay:

- Expansion of the Switch store to include SNES and either N64 or GB(C) / GBA titles.
- Overwatch port
- Smash update. I'll be happy just to see how Banjo plays, but Fighter Pack 4 would be nice too.
- Further details on BotW 2 (hey, it's a wishlist, I'm running with it!)
- Further details on Sword / Shield. I really think those two games could use it to detail the world.
- Pikmin 4
- Further details on Bayonetta 3
- A more minor game being brougt back to life, whether it's a Kid Icarus or F-Zero sequel. Any more minor series getting a follow up counts.
- Any news coming from either Microsoft and / or Valve so those rumor mills can be put to rest. This includes Rare Replay, teasing Master Chief Collection or even Valve announcing a Dota Underlords Switch port. Since I really like Underlords' concept of "start a game on PC or mobile device, continue and finish it on the other without issue!".

Edit: Added link. The guy answering is the one managing Underlords' development.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If this rumor is true, I’m just happy that we might get a new female character. :)
I'm a little out of the loop, what's the rumor? (edit: i guess looking at this page it's got the posts)
I'm also wondering what kind of characters have most been talked about in the last month. (for next dlc)

Also, happy 420 page.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
-SNES Online Games
-EarthBound Trilogy or Mother 3
-Next Smash character/announcement of a Smash only Direct
-A new addition to some existing IP (Kid Icarus, Pikmin, F-ZERO)
-Animal Crossing news, as I might actually get into the new game

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Hey maybe it's Suzie :)

indexsdf.jpg

If they're joking about the 'nobody cares about' bit, it could also be D.va

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
If we reeeeeeeeeally need an Overwatch character, then I say put in Junkrat. Overwatch was very fun for me, but only about a year. I would prefer if Overwatch's ancestor, TF2, got a character instead.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
D.Va is well-known, so Elma seems more likely, given that those rumors are true. Is there a female main character in Daemon X Machina?

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
Purely for the sake of discussion, I couldn't imagine the logic of making Elma the 4th DLC character. She's a one off character who isn't popular or relevant and comes from the worst selling/received game in the Xenoblade series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom