• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Is Overwatch still as popular as it was a year ago? I filtered most of it out of my reddit feed.

Regardless of the answer to the above, it was very popular when the fighter's pass was decided.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
A shill pick is, in my opinion, a character who has little to no request from the fan community who was chosen to be playable for corporate reasons, often to promote a new or upcoming game. By this definition, Tracer would be a shill pick.
I dont think that's really a fair thing to judge. You want to see shill picks? Look at Mortal Kombat guest DLC.

People could say that Hero was a shill pick to sell DQ in the west, yet the character and the franchise is beloved in Japan.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
What are the odds that Tracer shows up in tomorrow's LaxChris and Blocked Content videos?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't play online only games so my experience with Overwatch is limited, but I'm absolutely down for Tracer. Like it or not, she's a gaming icon and Overwatch has earned its place in history. Also lmao at people calling a character from a 3 year old game a shill pick, I guess Isabelle is a shill pick too then.

(I don't think Tracer is getting in though)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, how is Overwatch doing in Japan? Is it as big as in the West or it's small? Would Tracer be a "literal who" or be well received in Japan?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I don't see the problem with Tracer, and honestly I feel like she's one of the better choices of the characters people are currently throwing out there.

Untouch

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, how is Overwatch doing in Japan? Is it as big as in the West or it's small? Would Tracer be a "literal who" or be well received in Japan?
It's totally fallen off, the only real audience that still cares is Korea, because it's blizzard.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I have a decent list of third parties I’d prefer getting over Tracer. And you all know by now I’d rather have first parties over third parties. So Tracer is pretty far down the list of overall characters I’d want. Would be disappointing for me personally, needless to say.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
I've only played Overwatch for a few hours, and I already love it! I would be down to have Tracer as a DLC pick even if she may be relatively new (she's still iconic, though).

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

before y'all slaughter me for posting a 4chan leak, i don't believe it but i'm not gonna deny that tracer in smash could be a reality.
I'd honestly say this wouldn't be alluding to Tracer. While she's not that demanded and it will disappoint the Smash fanbase, there's absolutely nothing confusing about Overwatch being in Smash.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
I'd honestly say this wouldn't be alluding to Tracer. While she's not that demanded and it will disappoint the Smash fanbase, there's absolutely nothing confusing about Overwatch being in Smash.
I could see it being more confusing to Joker just because she doesn't even have a vague connection to Nintendo (at least, until the whole Overwatch Switch case thing from today).

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I think that Doom Slayer would be a better FPS rep anyways.
That's a strong subjective notion, of course. Overwatch is exceptionally more popular than Doom, despite how Doom helped establish the FPS genre and has a rich history with Nintendo.
That being said, both characters would be respectively interesting and fascinating to see in the game. They both seem to have solid chances at this point.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
To be fair that 4chan leak is so vague that it could be pretty much any female characters. It could be Nakoruru from Samurai spirits or Morrigan from Darkstalkers (remember that leak that said that one of the dlc character was a female fighting characters). Those would be character that will confuse a lot of people and maybe disappoint because of their lack of popularity, and they don't have a lot of demand.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t particularly want her but I’d be pretty happy with Tracer. Overwatch is one of my favorite games of all-time. It’s also one of the most popular/influential games this gen.

Tracer is also one of the few iconic characters to come from this gen; the only others I can think of being 2B, Joker & Geralt (Hes a Book character & had older games but he rose to prominence this gen).

But when it comes to FPS characters then Doom Slayer & Master Chief should’ve been the first choices. Plus, I don’t really want to see the Smash community **** on one of my favorite games because Tracer isn’t who they want & they think she’s a shill pick.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So why is this rumor in particular getting traction? Why is it any more special than allthe other rumors we see pop up from 4chan?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So why is this rumor in particular getting traction? Why is it any more special than allthe other rumors we see pop up from 4chan?
Beats me
Overwatch is getting a port but that doesn't guarantee a Smash inclusion. At this point people are just trying to find any information alluding to the next character since no one has been properly leaked yet.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
To be fair that 4chan leak is so vague that it could be pretty much any female characters. It could be Nakoruru from Samurai spirits or Morrigan from Darkstalkers (remember that leak that said that one of the dlc character was a female fighting characters). Those would be character that will confuse a lot of people and maybe disappoint because of their lack of popularity, and they don't have a lot of demand.
Excellent points! It might also suggest KOS-MOS.

Still, Tracer seems to have a reinforced chance considering how she fits the criteria of a female character who would disappoint and confuse; and how Nintendo and Blizzard announced the OW-themed Switch Case recently.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because of the lack of Smash news involving DLC fighter 4. We're desperate even for fake leaks/rumors until DLC fighter 4 gets announced.

Probably gonna be passed over anyways as with any other leak/rumor and go back to the usual.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Heavy is being rated in the Rate Their Chances thread, come voice your opinions.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
People are just panicking hard right now. Official Overwatch merch for the Switch is lowkey confirming an Overwatch port (which would be rad by itself), but it also brings the possibility of Overwatch characters in Smash (because any new port to a Nintendo platform will do that.)

Of course, Overwatch has been in the lower internet's ****list for a while already. It's built up quite a list against itself over its lifetime - some of it well-founded, but the rest trivial. So you'll find a lot of people who don't like Overwatch for whatever reason, let alone tolerate it getting into Smash over other franchises.

Having a random leak just so happen to line up with people's fears is basically emulating what the Box Theory did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think a big part of it has to do with Overwatch's online presence like Minecraft. Both of these games happen to have some of the largest followings online when compared to a lot of other games from fanart, memes, books, videos, and other things. Smash also has a large online presence, so seeing an Overwatch themed Switch case despite Overwatch not being on the Switch made both fans think and talk about the possibility of Tracer being in Smash, whether if they think it's cool or dumb.

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
A shill pick is, in my opinion, a character who has little to no request from the fan community who was chosen to be playable for corporate reasons, often to promote a new or upcoming game. By this definition, Tracer would be a shill pick.
I think it's important to look beyond the vocal minority. Characters like Tracer and Steve have vocal minorities which hate them, but are actually way more popular than the standard fan picks. For example, someone like Lloyd Irving, Crash, or Shantae wouldn't get half the hype Tracer would.

I think Lloyd is just so unlikely...

I dont think anyone thinks Astral will make THIS pass
Yeah, I don't think an Astral Chain character is getting into this Smash. I highly doubt a second pass, but even if there was one I don't think an Astral Chain rep would happen. If the series does well and has a future then I think AstralChain is a Smash 6 contender for sure given how much moveset potential there is there. But it's too late for this Smash IMO.

Personally I think Doomguy or Tracer are both fantastic picks. I'd take either, or even both though I realize that is a little repetitive genre wise. If I had to pick a preference it's Doomguy just because of how much he stands out, but Tracer is a character I've always considered to be a good idea.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, I'll also have to say I don't expect an Astral Chain character in Smash. Because of the same reasons I doubt of Fire Emblem characters: if Nintendo really wanted to promote a game with Smash, they would've done the same **** as with Hero and DQXI. Granted, unlike FE, I'm fine with new Nintendo IPs joining Smash through DLC.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Smash speculation rn is literally
>doomfans sweating
>kasumifans sweating
>Tracerfans sweating
>crashfans sweating
>hollowknightfans sweating
>2B fans sweating
>phoenixfans sweating
>dantefans sweating

Regardless. The September direct will be wild

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I think it's important to look beyond the vocal minority. Characters like Tracer and Steve have vocal minorities which hate them, but are actually way more popular than the standard fan picks. For example, someone like Lloyd Irving, Crash, or Shantae wouldn't get half the hype Tracer would.
Crash is a pretty big name in his own right, the N'sane Trilogy did sell over 10 million copies after all. He's unarguably a videogame A-lister alongside Tracer.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Crash is a pretty big name in his own right, the N'sane Trilogy did sell over 10 million copies after all. He's unarguably a videogame A-lister alongside Tracer.
Crash is also one of the icons of the original PlayStation.
I hardly see any Tracer support, even outside this site. Also, Joker, Hero, and Banjo & Kazooie all hyped fans in their own different ways, and a lot of the more talked about characters, such as Leon S. Kennedy, Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, and Heihachi Mishima would do the same thing.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Warned for censor dodging
I was browsing a Smash Bros. Facebook page, and this showed up:

(image removed - it said "You know what, I'm about to say it - Doom Slayer will be the next DLC and he's gunna be broken as ****" without the censorship)

To add to the joke I was like, "Yeah, he'll have instant Glory Kills that confirm a KO at 0%."

But the larger point is that everyone seems to be expecting Doom Slayer almost as much as people were expecting Erdrick, which turned out to be accurate.
So, out of curiosity, what is the consensus of this forum when it comes to Doom Slayer's supposed inevitability? You guys already know I'm subscribed to Google Theory, so I say 90%.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Some of my friends are jokingly / not jokingly saying it could be Reimu Hakurei from Touhou.

Tracer is way too easy of a "female character no one demanded for" pick the rumor is putting forth. Y'all need to get more creative.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
yone seems to be expecting Doom Slayer almost as much as people were expecting Erdrick, which turned out to be accurate.
So, out of curiosity, what is the consensus of this forum when it comes to Doom Slayer's supposed inevitability? You guys already know I'm subscribed to Google Theory, so I say 90%.
With a community that big, it's hard to say what really his the consensus about him. That being said, I think that a lot of people will agree that he have a lot for him, but I wouldn't say the word "inevitability". Sakurai could always surprised us. I personally would rate him at around 70% chances.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You: "Phoenix Wright could be a great visual novel rep for Smash!"

Sakurai" *laughs*

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Context: this game by Konami, Tokimeki Memorial, more or less started the modern dating sim.

Last edited:

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Its either Crash, Doom or Tracer, but im expecting tracer because of the leaks and just before the september direct which right now is not too far off

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
He's got a solid chance but I think a lot of the assumptions about him are moreso ripples to waves, kinda like the Overwatch Switch Case created today. He's got inter-company competition and little to no presence in Japan. Also what sets him apart from Erdrick was that Erdrick had a datamined codename to go off of while Doom Slayer mainly has assumptions. And if the Grinch Leak taught us anything it's that tons of evidence doesn't always mean the truth.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I was browsing a Smash Bros. Facebook page, and this showed up:

(image removed - it said "You know what, I'm about to say it - Doom Slayer will be the next DLC and he's gunna be broken as ****" without the censorship)

To add to the joke I was like, "Yeah, he'll have instant Glory Kills that confirm a KO at 0%."

But the larger point is that everyone seems to be expecting Doom Slayer almost as much as people were expecting Erdrick, which turned out to be accurate.
Erdrick had leaks and a datamine on his side. Doomguy literally has nothing except Pete Hines saying they spoke to Nintendo about Smash. The situations aren't comparable.

Some of my friends are jokingly / not jokingly saying it could be Reimu Hakurei from Touhou.

Tracer is way too easy of a "female character no one demanded for" pick the rumor is putting forth. Y'all need to get more creative.
If we're being completely honest, I'm positive that this particular "leak" is alluding to Reimu if only because there's a metric **** ton of Reimu ****posting and false flagging going on at /v/ right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom