• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
On the topic of leaks; whatever happened to that Starling leak the Geno thread was talking about? Did we ever find out what the picture was referencing?
The source shared more image hints apparently, and they may or may not be related to the starling image. We don't know; whatever the starling image was hinting at still hasn't been revealed, either. It seems Fatmanonice may not be allowed to share the images.

Apparently Sabi said the other images may not be related to the starling in a message to someone, but idk.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Comment for a piranha plant plush."
How many of those does he even have? lol
It seems Fatmanonice may not be allowed to share the images.
Well no crap dude that's why it's called a leak. lol

On the off chance that he does know something substantial I'm glad he's not ruining the surprise by telling us.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
No. But I am expecting some Astral Chain spirits to get added at the time of Astral Chain's release.
Speaking of Astral Chain, I get the feeling that the main character for that game would make for a pretty interesting character in Ultimate (though this assumes we get a second fighter's pass)

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I know this is off topic here but I got a question.
for the longest time when it comes to requested characters by fans why do people actually want Goku to be in smash?

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
I think Blocked Content just needs a video to ramble about for 10-25 minutes every day in order to make that Youtube cash.

I can't blame him for doing it for the cash
As a youtuber who collects add revenue, I can say that he can't possibly be making a substantial amount given how much he gets view wise.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
for the longest time when it comes to requested characters by fans why do people actually want Goku to be in smash?
From my experience, most of the people who suggest Goku are either just ****posting or are children who don't know any better. It's basically the same thing as people suggesting Shrek or Spongebob, and I'm not sure why so many people take that stuff seriously nowadays

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't understand how "Why Goku?" Is even a question.

He's like the most recognized Japanese fictional character of all time.

D

Deleted member

I believe a combination between a joke and also simply liking the character because Dragon Ball is one of the shows that a lot of people grew up with. I kinda want him just due to see the meltdown.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I don't understand how "Why Goku?" Is even a question.

He's like the most recognized Japanese fictional character of all time.
I think Godzilla would take the cake for most recognized "Japanese fictional character of all time", but I am sure in terms of animation Goku is king.

For example: If I sat my whole family down and showed them a picture of each character, ALL of them will immediately know Godzilla. Maybe one of them would say "oh yea thats from dragon z right?" (While still not knowing his name) And thats a big maybe..

Last edited:

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
why do people actually want Goku to be in smash?
Controversial take; because it would be really awesome.

Given, I think the reason Goku should not get in is that Smash is a celebration of video games, and if they start letting in non-video game characters then it opens the floodgates too much and suddenly everyone from Batman to Shrek to Barack Obama is eligible.

That said, I totally get why people who don't really think about that sort of thing would want Goku in. He is one of the most infamous characters in fiction, is defined by fighting, and has been in more video games than most of the characters in Smash. He isn't a video game character by origin, but he's a fighting game icon.

That said. We have Hero. That is basically sword Goku.

SKX31

Smash Master
And the closest we'll ever get to Goku being in Smash. So the people who wanted him technically got their wish and should be happy with that.
Nah, Goku and Chao from Yūyūki would beg to differ.

Re: Son Goku. I'm not surprised at how popular he is. Didn't Sakurai first state that non-videogame characters were verboten during Brawl's development? I mean, James Bond and Doraemon appeared in the old Japanese wishlist for Melee. Also, Sakurai's words doesn't reach every fan and there are those who get swallowed up in the memetic hype (see: Shrek).

And I would disagree that Hero's the closest to Goku we'll get in Smash. Aside from Yuyuki Goku (If Nintendo decides to bring that back. Nah...) both Dota 2 and Smite have very different interpretations on the Monkey King. I strongly doubt that either MOBA will get a rep, but Smite has a Switch port already. So the latter is theoretically possible.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
DBZ is apparently very popular in latin america from what I've heard. Maybe large groups of uneducated (on the topic of 4th parties in smash) fans who also happened to like Smash want him in unironically, and this probably spread as a meme. Hopefully that never actually affects something in Smash itself...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think it's a style thing. Dragonball is a very fun and nostalgic thing for a lot of people, and so is Smash, and Goku himself is a stylish and flashy beloved character. It started as a joke but it has enough staying power because he'd just be an interesting pick if all the rules just fell away.

I feel like FighterZ existing mitigated a lot of the serious requests, but overall I think it just boils down to a joke turning into a fun what-if.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Theres still an ocean of game characters to get through, but I think sooner or later (99% later, 10-20 years later if Smash still gets new games and updates) we will see non game characters, and Goku will probably be the one to open the floodgate. I perosnally have no problem as long as they have some game presence and their moves actually reference their games. Goku, James Bond, Turok, Scrooge McDuck, Jotaro and Dio, Darth Vader, Ash Williams, Batman, Spiderman, hell, Godzilla even would make fun characters. But thats a long, long, long, long, LONG way from happening. As much as Id like to get Thwomp in Smash 7, I think Nintendo and Sakurai would prefer Goku at that point.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I disagree, Smash will always and always be the Video game crossovers. It starts as a Nintendo crossovers, but in the future they might add more and more third party before adding Manga or movie characters. There's so many franchises from third party that already have representation in Smash (Sega, Capcom, Konami, Namco, Square) and third party that still don't have characters (Ubisoft, Bethesda, Activision etc.) that there's really no need to add movie characters. At some extent I could maybe see Goku getting in as a fun "Bonus" character if Smash is still alive in 20 years or more, but really Batman Darth Vader and Ash Williams? If someone want to make a cartoon characters crossover they should just start another franchise.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly I disagree, Smash will always and always be the Video game crossovers. It starts as a Nintendo crossovers, but in the future they might add more and more third party before adding Manga or movie characters. There's so many franchises from third party that already have representation in Smash (Sega, Capcom, Konami, Namco, Square) and third party that still don't have characters (Ubisoft, Bethesda, Activision etc.) that there's really no need to add movie characters. At some extent I could maybe see Goku getting in as a fun "Bonus" character if Smash is still alive in 20 years or more, but really Batman Darth Vader and Ash Williams? If someone want to make a cartoon characters crossover they should just start another franchise.
Especially considering we already have a Smash Bros. for anime. It's called Shonen Jump.

SKX31

Smash Master
Really, I do also agree that any 4th parties are a Long Long LONG way of, and will likely be 1 out of a 100-150 new characters (aka. Super Special Guest). That said, there are a few questions we can't answer right now:

*How long can Sakurai keep up developing games? I strongly doubt he wants to go through another IV drip and he turns 50 next year. On the other hand, he's a massive workhorse. It's really difficult to give any sort of conclusive answer since any answer would rely on info we simply don't have. This affects how often games - and new characters - come out.

As a further point, any Smash 6 is a long way off. And if Ultimate gets more DLC 6 will be pushed back further. Who knows if Smash 6 starts development when Sakurai's lets say 55 (2025)? Or earlier / later?

*Likewise, if and when Sakurai designates an heir - and who - will be very important when we reach that point. Miyamoto's already begun to step back IIRC. The heir taking over is far off still, but I see no reason for Nintendo to stop making / updating Smash games. Smash is too big. Unless the situation changes really drastically. I've asked this before here, and back then one answer (can't remember who) pointed out that Sakurai doesn't have an obvious "heir" as such.

Still, depending on who it is a heir could be more or less open to 4th parties. I do imagine that Sakurai - in this hypotheorical scenario - will want to make sure that the heir follows Sakurai's vision at least to a certain extent.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
One, or I'd say four, non-game characters that I wouldn't be angry if they were included on Smash are the TMNT.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So with all the speculation about a direct over the next few weeks, do we think that we might get a character leak? Or do we think we won't find out who the fourth fighter is until after Banjo drops?

Yeah but Shonen Jump makes terrible games.
Jump Super/Ultimate Stars is pretty good, sucks they messed up when they went back to the concept for Jump Force.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Except it would seen as an even worse shill pick because it is a new IP and hasn't gotten an opportunity to prove itself.

D

Deleted member

So with all the speculation about a direct over the next few weeks, do we think that we might get a character leak? Or do we think we won't find out who the fourth fighter is until after Banjo drops?
I'm guessing there won't be a leak for the next character from now til the direct and will be revealed sometime after Banjo-Kazooie drops (which I'm also going to guess BK's release date will be between the first 2 days of October).

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Except it would seen as an even worse shill pick because it is a new IP and hasn't gotten an opportunity to prove itself.
Very true aha. I'd take an Astral Chain rep over another Xenoblade rep (if were talking anime nintendo properties)

Edit: and over another Fire Emblem rep

Last edited:

Latyon

Smash Cadet
I think Godzilla would take the cake for most recognized "Japanese fictional character of all time", but I am sure in terms of animation Goku is king.

For example: If I sat my whole family down and showed them a picture of each character, ALL of them will immediately know Godzilla. Maybe one of them would say "oh yea thats from dragon z right?" (While still not knowing his name) And thats a big maybe..
If it isn't Godzilla, it's either Pikachu or Mario.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm very excited for Astral Chain. Nice to see it getting love and I hope we get some spirits from it. If it comes out and people love it I'm sure people wouldn't mind it being the fifth character.

The problem with Corrin really was a combination of unease towards Fates and Fire Emblem fatigue. I doubt someone like Elma, Wonder Red, or even Poochy would've gotten quite the backlash despite being characters from games they liked to promote during the Wii U era. I don't think characters advertising an existing property is a bad thing if the property or game in question has some positivity behind it - even on here people genuinely want Byleth or Edelgard and I can't blame them. It's just a balancing act.

On the subject of non-videogame characters in Smash I agree it'll never happen but I've said before and I'll say it again, Bond would be such a wild and fun pick. And of course I can't say no to my main man Scrooge McDuck (though with DuckTales Remastered being pulled from storefronts I know he's never ever happening).

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Eh, I don’t think we really should necessarily be against newbies getting into Smash if they bring something really cool to the table. I’ve always thought the idea that new characters, “Haven’t proven themselves” was basically just meant to come up with fan projection of who “deserves” to be in Smash. “Deserving” to be in Smash is entirely subjective anyway, so it’s moot. Especially because, you know, the characters aren’t sentient beings who can deserve something...the developers who create the games are the ones doing all the work.

Based on the gameplay of Astral Chain, I think a more intense puppet fighter character/stance fighter would be ideal. That in itself is something that effectively few eligible fighters can bring to the game. Though, my concern would be that it has potential to be OP.

I’m also somebody who, despite not expecting 1st parties, would very much love seeing Edelgard get added. I love the character herself, but am also interested in a heavy armor female fighter with Axe usage, as well as Battalion use. However, others may not be into that like I am.

Either way, dismissing characters that are new because they’re new is silly. I personally think people have Corrin too much flack, because aside from being from Fire Emblem, the character is relatively unique compared to effectively every other swordfighter in the game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've always considered Mario, Goku and Godzilla to be the Big Three in terms of most iconic Japanese characters. One for gaming (Mario), one for movies (Godzilla) and one for anime/manga (Goku).

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I'm very excited for Astral Chain. Nice to see it getting love and I hope we get some spirits from it. If it comes out and people love it I'm sure people wouldn't mind it being the fifth character.
While I don't see it being the fifth character (since I think its safe to assume that this pass is going to be all third party heavyweights), if Astral is a success in sales I deff see it getting into Smash in the future

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Very true aha. I'd take an Astral Chain rep over another Xenoblade rep (if were talking anime nintendo properties)

Edit: and over another Fire Emblem rep
Well if we're going by aesthetic feel then they offer they certainly stand out among the other anime inspired characters since they don't look like they belong in a high fantasy setting.

EDIT: This is just an observation. I'm not trying to argue anything here.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Well if we're going by aesthetic feel then they offer they certainly stand out among the other anime inspired characters since they don't look like they belong in a high fantasy setting.
Agree. Their moveset looks incredibly unique, and the sci-fi cop aesthetic would be a new addition to smash

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Already brought up in the social thread, but I’ll repost it here.

Seems pretty likely we’re getting an Overwatch port on Switch, most likely to be shown off at the September direct. likely means nothing in terms of Smash, but hey might as well speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom