• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I really doubt they’d show off an Overwatch port and then immediately show off Tracer in the same Direct
I don’t think Tracer’s happening but the thought terrifies me

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
My honest opinion on the only possible/reasonable chars for dlc. The next 2 will be one of these imo

Kasumi(doa)
Jill(re)
2B(nier)
Tracer(ow)
Terry(kof)
Doom slayer (DOOM)
Phoenix Wright (ace attorney)
Dante (dmc)
Hayabusa(ng)
Hollow knight (hk)
Crash (crash bandicoot)

This is assuming everyone is new as a series to smash
3rd party
And they dont have a spirit

Obv i could be wrong but i think these are the safest picks rn and i think the final 2 will come from this list

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My honest opinion on the only possible/reasonable chars for dlc. The next 2 will be one of these imo

Kasumi(doa)
Jill(re)
2B(nier)
Tracer(ow)
Terry(kof)
Doom slayer (DOOM)
Phoenix Wright (ace attorney)
Dante (dmc)
Hayabusa(ng)
Hollow knight (hk)
Crash (crash bandicoot)

This is assuming everyone is new as a series to smash
3rd party
And they dont have a spirit

Obv i could be wrong but i think these are the safest picks rn and i think the final 2 will come from this list
Also throw Heihachi, Lloyd and Resident Evil rep on there as well.

Dark Souls rep and Nakoruru being possible sleeper/dark horse picks.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Why does no one want Tracer in Smash? Ive never played Overwatch but its obviously a popular game, and her design looks cool

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I hate this argument.
There are like fifty different long time fan requested characters, we just happen to have three of the most requested right now
Also I dislike Overwatch and Blizzard as a company
Yeah but when it came to most demanded characters those three stood up followed with Geno and Isaac (Latter being deconfirmed sadly and formers chances not looking too bright).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why does no one want Tracer in Smash? Ive never played Overwatch but its obviously a popular game, and her design looks cool
People just don't like shill picks/People thinking that Doomguy would be a better FPS character.

Untouch

Smash Master
We've known Overwatch is coming to Switch for a while.
Why did no one sprout up about Diablo when it was announced?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think it’s more that she doesn’t really have a support base yet. Overwatch has yet to have a game on a Nintendo console so many people feel it would be impossible for her to make it into Smash, no one wants to support a character you feel has no chance in making it.
We've known Overwatch is coming to Switch for a while.
Why did no one sprout up about Diablo when it was announced?
We did? Didn’t know about that.

Untouch

Smash Master

andree123

Smash Ace
Did Blizzard reply anything about Overwatch content in Smash just after Sakurai stated that the DLC line-up is done?

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
I would personally really like tracer, but i don't think she's likely. if we got a character from activision at all, i would assume we get crash, and even from blizzard specifically, she has some competition in the form of a warcraft rep, starcraft rep, diablo, etc.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Would not be surprised if it is partly because she happens to share the same house as Crash.

Personally I'm for Tracer. Not just because she would stand out, but also because she has a couple unique aspects she could bring into Smash (Replenishing Blinks, reverting back in time via Recall etc.). Also, Blizzard has done a pretty good job with Overwatch's characters overall.

People just don't like shill picks/People thinking that Doomguy would be a better FPS character.
Ehh? I'd argue Overwatch's no longer a "shill" pick really. The game's almost 3 years old and has a major, loyal following. If anything, I'm just grateful for helping to show the world that FPSes didn't need to be "Real is Brown!". CoD fatigue had a lot to do with it.

Also, it's not like Blizzard's ignoring its other games in favor of Overwatch.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Heh, Tracer is a character that has always been at the back of my mind when DLC speculation was happening. I thought she seemed unlikely but I was never foolish enough to completely disregard her. If she does get in then the gut feeling I had about her at the beginning of this year will turn out to be true. I wouldn't really be that huge on her inclusion since I long dropped Overwatch because I lost interest and didn't like how stale the updates were getting, but hey whatever I won't mind if she gets in. I do wonder how the competitive scene will react to her, she's a character that can reverse time, heal herself, and teleport everywhere on the stage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

An Overwatch themed case shouldn't really mean anything in regards to Smash. At the very least it means Overwatch is coming to the Switch and that's it. Maybe they'll have a Switch exclusive skin like Winston as Donkey Kong or Roadhog as K Rool, but that's mostly wishful thinking. I mean, it's not like the Switcher port means Geralt is coming to Smash, and that game has gotten a good amount of advertisements yet no one seems to think he's potentially in even when the series are based off the novels.

As far as an Overwatch character in Smash goes, I don't like the idea of any Overwatch character in Smash, but it did win GOTY over DOOM and Uncharted 4 and still has a very strong following in the competitive scene. You can see why someone like Tracer (who I'm surprised I don't see a lot of people meme her as just another Bayo) might potentially be in Ultimate, though I wonder if it actually has a solid enough OST to back up its inclusion.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Overwatch is a pretty big deal and took over the world for a bit there. Tracer's not a bad choice at all. She does however come from the same company as beloved mascot Crash Bandicoot so there's some competition there, whilst Doom fans want Doomguy as the FPS character and lastly Overwatch populized the Lootbox fad in gaming which not everyone is a huge fan of...look at Crash Team Racing or Star Wars Battlefront 2 for some examples of backlash towards this business practice.

Personally I think Tracer's definitely a decent choice; Overwatch was a FAR bigger deal IMO than Persona 5 was in terms of affecting the game industry, but I'm a stubborn old mule who would prefer Crash(or more ideally but more unlikely Spyro) as an Activision rep, Tomb Raider's Lara Croft as a duel wielding pistol adventurer type archetype character and Heavy from Team Fortress 2 as a class shooter style character. She's probably my second choice for the last two though...but I still would prefer Crash and Spyro as the Activision boys.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would personally really like tracer, but i don't think she's likely. if we got a character from activision at all, i would assume we get crash, and even from blizzard specifically, she has some competition in the form of a warcraft rep, starcraft rep, diablo, etc.
Wait. Activision owns Blizzard?
Heh, Tracer is a character that has always been at the back of my mind when DLC speculation was happening. I thought she seemed unlikely but I was never foolish enough to completely disregard her. If she does get in then the gut feeling I had about her at the beginning of this year will turn out to be true. I wouldn't really be that huge on her inclusion since I long dropped Overwatch because I lost interest and didn't like how stale the updates were getting, but hey whatever I wouldn't mind if she gets in. I do wonder how the competitive scene will react to her, she's a character that can reverse time, heal herself, and teleport everywhere on the stage.
Tracer can heal herself? If this self healing is substantial then the competitive community will probably whine about it being ban worthy, but nothing will come of it. Otherwise the teleporting thing wont be too new as characters like Pikachu and Palutena can do something similar though it requires more skill than it probably would with Tracer. As for the time reversal, it will likely have really easy counterplay since you can just follow her to her destination (Unless you're Incineroar I guess).

You can see why someone like Tracer (who I'm surprised I don't see a lot of people meme her as just another Bayo)...
It's likely because the characters are incredibly different in regards to character design and personality.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Tracer can heal herself? If this self healing is substantial then the competitive community will probably whine about it being ban worthy, but nothing will come of it. Otherwise the teleporting thing wont be too new as characters like Pikachu and Palutena can do something similar though it requires more skill than it probably would with Tracer. As for the time reversal, it will likely have really easy counterplay since you can just follow her to her destination (Unless you're Incineroar I guess).
Yes she can heal herself. She can reverse time and return to the spot she was in and all the damage she received during that period of time is gone. She's very, VERY, annoying to fight against. A proper portrayal of Tracer means she would be as annoying as she is in her games.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes she can heal herself. She can reverse time and return to the spot she was in and all the damage she received during that period of time is gone. She's very, VERY, annoying to fight against. A proper portrayal of Tracer means she would be as annoying as she is in her games.
What's the limit on it? Is there a timer or something?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yep, when you use it once you have to wait about 12 seconds to get recall back

Her Blink ability has a 3 second cool down and 3 charges so 9 second cool down if all are used at once.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Her rewind ability rewinds time back to 3 seconds I believe? And she has a cool down of 12 seconds fore recharging the ability. There's also her blinks, which is her teleporting through a distance, think of it as Fox's Flash but more instantaneous.

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
Tracer would be a cool character. Got no attachment to Overwatch, but Blizzard has some awesome legacy. Despite their recent guffaws and the looming specter of Activision behind them, I'd still support a character of theirs getting in. I'd rather have Doom Guy, though.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I already explained why I don't want to see Tracer in smash and another reason that I just thought about is the music. When a new franchises is added to Smash, I'm always excited to see what music will be add. But really, Overwatch basically have no music so I don't think it's really intersting to add this universe.

I guess we'll see what happen but I'm not sold on Overwatch in Smash.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I have no opinion on Tracer one way or the other beyond having other characters I'd like to see more so I can't say I'd be hyped for her. Gotta admit she's got a nice design though.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
yet all the characters with swords are just considered the same anime swordfighter smh
To be fair literally all of the sword characters are from a high fantasy style world (even the Mii Swordfighter's default look is influenced by this style) and most of them either don't have a personality (:ultcorrin::ulthero::ultswordfighter::ultlink:) or their personality is being your typical anime protagonist (:ultike::ultmarth::ultroy::ultshulk:).* This and there are more of them compared to gunslingers. Also, Tracer is from a first person shooter and Bayonetta is from a hack and slash game so I think the comparisons are less easy to make.

*This statement is based off of the surface level personality we get from Super Smash Bros. I realize that most of these characters (Shulk and Ike especially) are much more fleshed out in their main games.

Yep, when you use it once you have to wait about 12 seconds to get recall back

Her Blink ability has a 3 second cool down and 3 charges so 9 second cool down if all are used at once.
I think these cooldowns will keep her from ruining the meta. Might make her an awful character if her up special (I'm assuming would be blink) had so harsh a cooldown.

I already explained why I don't want to see Tracer in smash and another reason that I just thought about is the music. When a new franchises is added to Smash, I'm always excited to see what music will be add. But really, Overwatch basically have no music so I don't think it's really intersting to add this universe.

I guess we'll see what happen but I'm not sold on Overwatch in Smash.
Doesn't each match have a theme to go with it? *Recalls he's never heard music during raw gameplay footage* Doesn't each character have a theme?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Why would an Astral Chain character be likely? It's a new franchise and wasn't out when this fighters pass was decided.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why would an Astral Chain character be likely? It's a new franchise that was still years from release when this fighters pass was decided.
Just one. The game was known then. I think the general consensus is that it could very well happen in the next game, but it would probably be too much of a gamble to add it with the Fighter's Pass.

D

Deleted member

Gotta say, Tracer getting in or not, its refreshing to see a new character being talked about.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A shill pick is, in my opinion, a character who has little to no request from the fan community who was chosen to be playable for corporate reasons, often to promote a new or upcoming game. By this definition, Tracer would be a shill pick.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Always thought Tracer was a darkhorse candidate given how OW is insanely popular and that Bethesda/Activision are really big. While this recent news doesn't flat out confirm her I think it does make her seem more likely.

If we're only getting one Activision rep I'm still hoping its Crash since Blizzard is technically part of Activision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom