• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I haven’t played Overwatch in over a year but Tracer would actually be a great Smash addition, imo. She’s got an iconic design, a fun and easily translatable personality, and potential for a very unique moveset. I don’t actually think she’s likely by any means but she’d be hype.

Wonder what music they’d add with her, if she managed to make it in... Overwatch doesn’t really have any iconic tracks other than the main theme, or really any music in general outside of the short jingles that play when a map loads.

EDIT: What if her stage was Blizzard World and they added a bunch of music from other Blizzard games, that would be kinda sick

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I haven’t played Overwatch in over a year but Tracer would actually be a really awesome Smash addition, imo. She’s got an iconic design, a fun and easily translatable personality, and potential for a very unique moveset. I’m not convinced she’s a likely candidate, but I would be hyped if she made it.

Wonder what music they’d add with her, if she managed to make it in... Overwatch doesn’t really have any iconic tracks other than the main theme, or really any music in general outside of the short jingles that play when a map loads.
Tracer's Music:
Overwatch Theme
Overwatch Theme (Remix)
Overwatch Theme except it's the 6 seconds used for her victory theme.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Tracer would be one of those "Characters I'd think would be kinda cool in Smash but would never happen" cases for me....but then again the last time I thought that was with Rosalina....

Well if we do get Ms. Oxton I feel like we may see a movepool kinda like she uses in HotS.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I haven’t played Overwatch in over a year but Tracer would actually be a really awesome Smash addition, imo. She’s got an iconic design, a fun and easily translatable personality, and potential for a very unique moveset. I’m not convinced she’s a likely candidate, but I would be hyped if she made it.

This is one of the reasons I never found an Overwatch rep particularly likely. Music is an important part of the inclusion of a character and Overwatch just has nothing outside of the main theme.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
IMO, the only thing that was keeping Tracer from being one of the more likely characters was Overwatch not being on a Nintendo platform. This isn't really a case of "Oh, this game is on the Switch now? The main character might be in Smash!". My thought on the matter has always been that Tracer is a perfect pick for a DLC character aside from the fact that she's never sniffed a Nintendo console, which (seemingly) isn't an issue now. Regardless of that 4chan post, she's skyrocketed up my list of expected DLC characters.

This is one of the reasons I never found an Overwatch rep particularly likely. Music is an important part of the inclusion of a character and Overwatch just has nothing outside of the main theme.
That's the magic of remixes. Plenty of series in Smash don't have much to offer in terms of music.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If I'm honest, I feel that Doomguy's comparisons to DQ are flimsy as they tend to overlook a lot of things. Nintendo doesn't really have any stake in Doom more than any other 3rd party multiplat when compared to DQ where they are the publishers of the game in the West, so the idea of Doomguy using to promote the game in Japan is kinda useless. And while there are versions of Doom since the SNES, people forget again that with the exception of Doom 64 the franchise has always been multiplat and most popular on PC. (Plus I have to question myself the leaps on logic people make to keep believing in the Google theory)

I would say that Tracer is as likely as him given the popularity of the games but at the same time, I find the idea of another Western pick an I'll believe when I see it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
IMO, the only thing that was keeping Tracer from being one of the more likely characters was Overwatch not being on a Nintendo platform. This isn't really a case of "Oh, this game is on the Switch now? The main character might be in Smash!". My thought on the matter has always been that Tracer is a perfect pick for a DLC character aside from the fact that she's never sniffed a Nintendo console, which (seemingly) isn't an issue now. Regardless of that 4chan post, she's skyrocketed up my list of expected DLC characters.

That's the magic of remixes. Plenty of series in Smash don't have much to offer in terms of music.
Except it's not really that interesting if a series's entire music selection is just one track remixed over and over again.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
There is more than one song in Overwatch, every map has a unique song that plays during set up. Not all of them work for Smash, but a few do. Heck if they really needed to scrape the bottom of the barrel they could even use Lucio's music, Blizzard made an entire album for him, two of the songs are the same he plays in game.

I'm not really betting on Tracer being a character, but I doubt they would dismiss her because of music.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Unexpected female character that isn't in high demand? Style Savvy confirmed, baby! Seriously though, I don't trust that leak at all, but I WANT TO BELIEVE.

I would die, and not in a good way...
I'm the total opposite, haha.

Depending on the moveset and/or source material, a visual novel character could be super fun.

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Unexpected female character that isn't in high demand? Style Savvy confirmed, baby! Seriously though, I don't trust that leak at all, but I WANT TO BELIEVE.

I'm the total opposite, haha.

Depending on the moveset and/or source material, a visual novel character could be super fun.
I say it because I really want Phoenix Wright in Smash...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I've always thought that Crash was the number 1 for Activision Blizzard, but that Tracer was the one who'd immediately follow him up since Overwatch is probably just as, if not more iconic than Crash in just one game and more recently impactful. But, Crash was the one who was the more popular pick and the one who had more legacy, along with being more simple to implement without the issue of stuff like time travel. Still, I could very much believe Tracer being the first AB character. Plus, an LGBT character who isn't widely hated. You get a new crowd into the pass (FPS fans, LGBT fans). She seems very logical... in the same sense as Steve, who blew Banjo out of the water in terms of everything but fan demand. But Tracer vs. Crash is a lot closer than, say, Steve vs. Banjo, which was the Smash Bros. Equivalent of David and Goliath, and Banjo still won that match. So it could go either way.

As an aside, I expect Character 4 to be the most disappointing of the cast. Character 1 needed to be impressive to sell people on the pass, and Joker (despite my hangups) pulled that off exceedingly well. Characters 2 and 3 were at E3, which would have millions of eyes and ears upon them. And Character 5 closes the pass at a period where I can't think of too many other Nintendo releases, in addition to being at least the final character for a little bit before Pass 2, if not the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter for a long time/straight up, the final Fighter we get until Smash 6 (7 outside of the roster, but 6 roster-wise). Character 4 has absolutely no pressure to be anything at all, so that one will probably be the lame one people complain about 5 months later. To the Smash fandom, Tracer would fit that bill, but to general audiences she'd be a massive hype-train.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Except it's not really that interesting if a series's entire music selection is just one track remixed over and over again.
I mean Super Mario World's music was mostly one central melody remixed over and over. Even Sunshine to a lesser extent, but they were praised for having great soundtracks.
Quality over quantity. Though a quantity of quality is certainly a good thing.

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
I hardly see any Tracer support, even outside this site. Also, Joker, Hero, and Banjo & Kazooie all hyped fans in their own different ways, and a lot of the more talked about characters, such as Leon S. Kennedy, Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, and Heihachi Mishima would do the same thing.
I think the whole premise of "support" is misleading. Characters get Smash Bros support from the fandom not only based on what people want, but based on what people see as likely or eligible. Leon, Doomguy, Ryu, Phoenix and Heihachi have support because people see them as contenders, based on arbitrary discussions that occur within the fandom, which lead to fleaks, which lead to speculation, which lead to them being seen as more likely, which leads to more support.

Someone like Tracer has been outside the realm of speculation because she hasn't been seen as particularly likely due to a lack of Overwatch on the Switch (even though Joker proves this should be a non issue).

This leads to Tracer being a less talked about possibility than other characters who show up on Nintedo consoles all the time (like Ryu Hayabusa). However, I think Tracer would bring a ton of hype just on account of how much more currently relevant her game is at the moment than some of those others. Again, this is all very speculative.

If Kasumi (DoA) turns out to be DLC, I get the feeling they would be using her DoA6 costume
All things are possible through the lord Masahiro Sakurai, but I can't imagine the logic behind including Kasumi. Like, yes Nintendo and Techmo Koei have a good relationship, and yes she is a female fighting game character, but she's just... not interesting or important idk sorry lol.

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Any "Color Theory" believers still around? I seem to remember color theorists thinking that Crash's orange color was a point in his favor.
Well, were she to get in Smash, Tracer's background would also almost certainly be orange.

aarod

Smash Rookie
I think there’s a decent argument that D.Va is actually more popular than Tracer if they were to go with an Overwatch character. Sure, Tracer was initially branded by Blizzard as the Overwatch mascot but fandom, merch and more recent promotion may lean towards D.Va being the more popular overall representative. It’s not unheard of that the main character of a series isn’t the most popular. Liu Kang isn’t the most popular MK character and Kazuya isn’t the most popular Tekken character. If we’re going with more worldwide appeal, D.Va might be a more attractive pick too. Also, since her character is a pro gamer herself, she could have quite a bit more tongue-in-cheek allure than Tracer.

Personally, I don’t think they’re getting a rep but if they did, D.Va may be a wiser choice.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think there’s a decent argument that D.Va is actually more popular than Tracer if they were to go with an Overwatch character. Sure, Tracer was initially branded by Blizzard as the Overwatch mascot but fandom, merch and more recent promotion may lean towards D.Va being the more popular overall representative. It’s not unheard of that the main character of a series isn’t the most popular. Liu Kang isn’t the most popular MK character and Kazuya isn’t the most popular Tekken character. If we’re going with more worldwide appeal, D.Va might be a more attractive pick too. Also, since her character is a pro gamer herself, she could have quite a bit more tongue-in-cheek allure than Tracer.

Personally, I don’t think they’re getting a rep but if they did, D.Va may be a wiser choice.
This has gone through my mind too. If you're goal is to get the Overwatch fan, D.va probably is the better pick, especially to Blizzard's absolutely massive Korean fanbase.

StormC

Smash Hero

Scorpion/Sub-Zero are basically the de facto mascots of Mortal Kombat though, same with Heihachi and Tekken. Liu Kang isn't the one used in promotions or merchandise. Tracer is, and like the other characters who cross over into other media, was the Overwatch character in Ready Player One. Smash basically always goes with the "face" first (the only time you could really argue otherwise was Robin, who was still a leading protagonist in their game).

Tracer would also translate to a Smash moveset quite easily. I really think trying to make D.Va work with her mech would be very difficult.

Last edited:

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
Crash is a pretty big name in his own right, the N'sane Trilogy did sell over 10 million copies after all. He's unarguably a videogame A-lister alongside Tracer.
That's fair. I probably have an anti-Crash bias. It always felt incredibly unearned that Sony tried to pass him off as a rival to Mario, and I think I've ever fund anything appealing about the character. I look at him and it's just like "what if Banjo, but less endearing"

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Why are we giving all this attenction to a leak that's not even a leak?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Why are we giving all this attenction to a leak that's not even a leak?
I guess it's because of the interesting coincidence alongside the prospect of discussing a new possible character, especially since we still have no hints towards DLC 4 and a direct hasn't been announced. It's creating fresh discussions after spending quite awhile in Doomguy's Dance Club!

ze9

Smash Ace
I guess it's because of the interesting coincidence alongside the prospect of discussing a new possible character, especially since we still have no hints towards DLC 4 and a direct hasn't been announced. It's creating fresh discussions after spending quite awhile in Doomguy's Dance Club!
But I like Doomguy's Dance Club :(

Wasn't every single DLC fighter already predetermined, though?
A lot of these talk about the likes of Astral Chain, Gen 8 Pokemon, Mortal Kombat and now Overwatch characters having a chance kinda boogles my mind or am I missing something? Unless there was some serious development behind the scenes that happened in 2018.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wasn't every single DLC fighter already predetermined, though?
A lot of these talk about the likes of Astral Chain, Gen 8 Pokemon, Mortal Kombat and now Overwatch characters having a chance kinda boogles my mind or am I missing something? Unless there was some serious development behind the scenes that happened in 2018.
I suppose it's not impossible Nintendo already was planning to bring Overwatch to the Switch a while ago, and since Overwatch already exists as a fully released game, you don't have the issue of Sakurai waiting for the final product to use it as a reference.

I personally put minimal stock in this 4chan post, but at least it's something new to talk about. We'll know soon enough in a couple of weeks.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Even if the next direct does have Overwatch, it's no guarantee we'll even GET character 4's reveal
regardless of if it's Tracer or not, i doubt we'll know about 4's reveal until sometime closer to Banjo's release

I mean yeah, Erdrick and Banjo were revealed together, but it was also E3, so we shouldn't necessarily believe that 4 or 5 will follow a similar pattern

ze9

Smash Ace
Even if the next direct does have Overwatch, it's no guarantee we'll even GET character 4's reveal
regardless of if it's Tracer or not, i doubt we'll know about 4's reveal until sometime closer to Banjo's release

I mean yeah, Erdrick and Banjo were revealed together, but it was also E3, so we shouldn't necessarily believe that 4 or 5 will follow a similar pattern
Getting the date of the Direct will already be enough to discredit this "leak", though

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Keep in mind that leak places the Direct right in the middle of TGS, which is something that's never happened.

Nintendo Directs have always predated TGS.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I was browsing a Smash Bros. Facebook page, and this showed up:

(image removed - it said "You know what, I'm about to say it - Doom Slayer will be the next DLC and he's gunna be broken as ****" without the censorship)

To add to the joke I was like, "Yeah, he'll have instant Glory Kills that confirm a KO at 0%."

But the larger point is that everyone seems to be expecting Doom Slayer almost as much as people were expecting Erdrick, which turned out to be accurate.
So, out of curiosity, what is the consensus of this forum when it comes to Doom Slayer's supposed inevitability? You guys already know I'm subscribed to Google Theory, so I say 90%.
Do you have a link to the image?

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Keep in mind that leak places the Direct right in the middle of TGS, which is something that's never happened.

Nintendo Directs have always predated TGS.
It's not even fair to really call it a leak of information, there's nothing to give it any credit. Rumor is a better term imo, if we go around calling everything a "leak" it gives it an air of truth.
Do you have a link to the image?
I'm pretty sure his argument was "everyone is expecting it now like we did for the hero, so its bound to happen!" The issue with that argument is that we knew a codename for the fighter, and one of Smash's producers also literally posted "brave's shield" on their Instagram. ON TOP of the repeated claims from many reputable insiders suggesting a new square enix fighter was going to happen.

The image itself means nothing

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Is it safe to say the safest bets right now are
> Doomguy
> Crash
> Kasumi
> Phoenix Wright
> Dante
> Tracer
> Jill Valentine

obv we could get a curve ball from all the information we have these all seem very likely or possible

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Is it safe to say the safest bets right now are
> Doomguy
> Crash
> Kasumi
> Phoenix Wright
> Dante
> Tracer
> Jill Valentine

obv we could get a curve ball from all the information we have these all seem very likely or possible
I don't think there are any safe bets. This DLC season has been crazy so far. The last two fighters could be anyone and we have no leads. The only characters that I consider to be somewhat likely are:
- Doomguy
- Phoenix Wright
- Leon Kennedy
- Chosen Undead

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I’m still not sold on the last two fighters being 3rd party honestly. Sure the first 3 fighters are, but that doesn’t have to be the case for the rest. Joker was there obviously because Sakurai and the team seem to love Persona 5, and the game had quite an impact on the industry as a whole (it seems). Then there’s Hero, who comes from Dragon Quest; a HUGE franchise, and with its roots on Nintendo. Then there’s Banjo, who might simply been one of the biggest requested ideas for a playable character since Sonic / Mega Man / Ridley / K.Rool ... I’m not sold that other 3rd party characters could be as impactful as the other 3 fighters we have seen already. Especially don’t think it’s too likely because Nintendo themselves did the picks for new characters. I’m sure at least one 1st party owned character is due. Who? No idea.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This rumor is really exciting to me because I've been spending a lot of time turning over different iconic female characters in my head and coming to realize that whether it's due to moveset, personal love, or the music they can bring, I can't see myself not getting hype for whoever it may be.

Just off the top of my head I've been tossing around:

Arle Nadja, 2B, Velvet Crowe, Adeleine, Captain Syrup, Nakoruru, KOS-MOS, Mai Shiranui, Tron Bonne, Chun-Li, Tracer, Reimu, Edelgard, Jill Valentine, Monster Hunter, Athena Cykes, Elma, Katrielle Layton, Shiori, Style Savvy Stylist, Female Astral Chain avatar, Kat (Gravity Rush), Kasumi (DOA), Nina Williams, Hatsune Miku(?!)

And out of all those I think the only ones I'd be less than 100% hype for would be Jill and MonHun (I want Phoenix! But they're both iconic characters with awesome movesets and games so I wouldn't be too upset) and maybe Kasumi (I'm not super into DOA compared to other fighters I enjoy) but even then, none of them sound bad at all.

I also like that this rumor has a date, so it's clear that if it ends up being real we'll know soon enough.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean Super Mario World's music was mostly one central melody remixed over and over. Even Sunshine to a lesser extent, but they were praised for having great soundtracks.
Every Super Smash Bros. game (except the first one) does this too. It usually works well. In fact, the only time it didn't was Super Smash Bros. for 3Ds/Wii U because every original Smash series song was almost exactly the same.

EDIT: That game's Battlefield theme was literally the same as the Main Theme except there was a slight change in some parts.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Except we're talking about an entire series's music selection, not just one game. And, it's a third party guest series on top of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom