• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Moreover at the height of her popularity, graphics were so bad that sex appealed hardly mattered.
Admittedly I'm a Nintendrone ignorant of what goes to other companies, but wasn't sex appeal at the time one of the highest selling points about her in the PS1 era?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
All Lara Croft Discussion I've seen here plays out the same way.

"Lara Croft would be cool she is super Iconic, Shame no one talks about her" then a bunch of people agree and then they never say a word until someone else says the same thing 10 pages later.

Do we need to call Lara Croft the next Geno just so people say that she is no longer slept on?

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
See, here's the thing I don't get:

How come people say that Lara is "slept on, no one talks about her, etc"... but then every week, we always get a good two dozen people talking about her here? She also seems to have a decently active thread and usually gets good scores on RTC.

Like... would I call Lara a "SmAsH BuBble" pick? Not really. But I also don't get how people consider her "slept on" when she's being constantly brought up as a "slept on" character.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
No.

Hector
Celica
Ayumi
Rhythm Joe
Rex & Pyra
Decidueye
Lloyd

These choices would get me murdered, but it'd be worth it.
Die for what you believe

You missed Hero, so you actually have -1 points. Looks like you need to let Sakurai pick another bottom-requested character! :4pacman:
Sakurai:
Nintendo said something similar, but I argued that Alef (アレフ), the first Dragon Quest Hero, was unable to be made playable. With that it was decided that we would make six characters for the fighters pass instead of five. Pretty clever huh?
Thank you all for your input and for supporting Smash. I will discuss with Nintendo and hopefully make a character that you can all enjoy.

(Sakurai returns to his time machine and makes a gesture of encouragement).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
"Sex appeal hardly mattered"

...y'all weren't alive when one of the most searched for gaming "holy grail" was the "Tomb Raider nude code" were ya?
Well, I was alive, but I would only have been so for like, a month or two.

I'm guessing it was a "Mew under the truck" level of rumor?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

How come people say that Lara is "slept on, no one talks about her, etc"... but then every week, we always get a good two dozen people talking about her here? She also seems to have a decently active thread and usually gets good scores on RTC.

Like... would I call Lara a "SmAsH BuBble" pick? Not really. But I also don't get how people consider her "slept on" when she's being constantly brought up as a "slept on" character.
She never really seems to do as Crash, Chief, Dante, all of the other big wigs, etc on polls nor does she show up on nearly as many wishlists, I feel. Also her support thread's only four pages long, I wouldn't really call that decently active, it's practically peanuts compared to the other characters I mentioned.

KillerCage

Smash Master

I think part of the problem is that people might consider her a Playstation character.
People don't associate her with Nintendo.
Also can you think of any memorable music from her series? I can't.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think part of the problem is that people might consider her a Playstation character.
People don't associate her with Nintendo.
Also can you think of any memorable music from her series? I can't.
I just talked about this, but yeah, lots of people don't associate Crash, Chief, or Dante with Nintendo either, yet they get talked about all the time, and we already have Joker and Cloud in the game.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Random post, but

I have recently finished Trails in the Sky Second Chapter, and I have just formally requested Sakurai to cancel whoever FP8 was to put Estelle Bright in it's place. You will thank me for that in the future

Ah, another has joined our ranks.
1602210703799.png

I assume you'll be playing 3rd next, right?

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman

She is discussed more now. I think she has broken her shell. Though she has yet to reach saturation levels of discussion. Guess we can officially declare her no longer slept on. 👏👏👏 *APPLAUSE *👏👏👏

woke.png

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So if she has a very large stick

That means she has a club, right?
We are NOT having this debate again

bad Shroob

sprays u with spray bottle

Definitely lol. People were desperate to the point that, iirc, in one of the future games they included a 'nude code'... that just made Lara explode.
hol up what

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
She never really seems to do as Crash, Chief, Dante, all of the other big wigs, etc on polls nor does she show up on nearly as many wishlists, I feel. Also her support thread's only four pages long, I wouldn't really call that decently active, it's practically peanuts compared to the other characters I mentioned.
That's the thing - being less talked about than Dante, Crash or Chief doesn't really mean that she isn't talked about at all.

It gets to the point where I'm legit starting to think I've seen this thread mention her more this month alone than anything SNK prior to copyright leak. And I say this as one of the few who did the latter.

Keep in mind, none of this is about Lara's chances per se, it's just kinda baffling to me that she's mentioned quite a bit here and is still called "slept on".

...you know what, maybe this sleeping stuff is a sign I should stop stalling and go to bed lol.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That's the thing - being less talked about than Dante, Crash or Chief doesn't really mean that she isn't talked about at all.

It gets to the point where I'm legit starting to think I've seen this thread mention her more this month alone than anything SNK prior to copyright leak.

Keep in mind, none of this is about Lara's chances per se, it's just kinda baffling to me that she's mentioned quite a bit here and is still called "slept on".

...you know what, maybe this sleeping stuff is a sign I should stop stalling and go to bed lol.
I mean, the Smash speculation isn't just this thread or site, I feel like she doesn't really get mentioned that much in a lot of other places compared to some of the other characters.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Lara Crofts Design is weird to me, We have the classic design which has really only been rendered in PS1 graphics, We have the First Reboot design which was retconned which takes after the movie, and then we have Modern Lara Croft where she is several years younger and uses completely different tools than the PS1 Lara.

The PS1 design is more Iconic but the Modern design would fit better for the current direction of the series but everyone knows the original but there hasn't been much content from that era of Tomb Raider recently so it depends on how "Shilly" they get with it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Sex appeal hardly mattered"

...y'all weren't alive when one of the most searched for gaming "holy grail" was the "Tomb Raider nude code" were ya?
Odd thing is I was alive during that time. Yet, I never much got into the series enough to play the game(s) what that was requested. XD

...Now, the hot coffee mod, I remember that quite well.

I did however see both live action movies. Pretty good, imo.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Here's another game.

That's a lot of characters. It's basically "What if the roster doubled in size?"

But I'll do it, cause **** it, why not?
:ultbanjokazooie:: Tooty
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne
:ultbowser:: Kamek
:ultbowserjr:: A minion perhaps, so Boom Boom.
:ultbyleth:: Since there's no canon path, Jeralt
:ultfalcon:: Probably any of the racers that aren't pieces of ****, so Dr. Stewart. He's a pretty good guy.
:ultcloud:: Could be any of his party members, really, but I'll just say Tifa.
:ultcorrin:: Azura
:ultdiddy:: Dixie Kong
:ultdk:: Funky Kong, not Cranky because all he'd do is complain.
:ultdoc:: Dr. Luigi
:ultduckhunt:: Tin Star?
:ultfalco:: Peppy or Slippy
:ultfox:: Peppy or Slippy
:ultganondorf:: Ghirahim
:ultgreninja:: Ash Chesnaught?
:ulthero:: I'm not doing one for all 4 of them. Slime
:ulticeclimbers:: Balloon Fighter?
:ultike:: Soren
:ultincineroar:: Ash Machamp
:ultinkling:: Octoling
:ultisabelle:: Tom Nook
:ultjigglypuff:: A Pokemon with insomnia since they wouldn't sleep whenever she sings, so Noctowl
:ultjoker:: Again, any of the party members, but I'll just say Kasumi.
:ultkingdedede:: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultkrool:: A Kritter
:ultkirby:: Honestly could be anyone, even Dark Matter isn't out of the question. I think Gooey would be the first to comes to his mind.
:ultlink:: BotW Zelda
:ultlittlemac:: Doc Louis
:ultlucario:: Ash Gallade?
:ultlucas:: Duster, the others are in already
:ultluigi:: E. Gadd
:ultmario:: Pauline
:ultmarth:: Caeda
:ultlucina:: Owain
:ultmegaman:: Roll
:ultmetaknight:: Galacta Knight
:ultmewtwo:: Mew
:ultmiifighters:: The person/character they're based off of.
:ultminmin: Ninjara
:ultgnw:: ???
:ultness:: Paula
:ultolimar:: Louie
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pacman
:ultpalutena:: Viridi
:ultpeach:: Toad
:ultdaisy:: Toadette
:ultpichu:: Igglybuff
:ultpikachu:: Ash Raichu
:ultpiranha:: A Goomba
:ultpit:: Magnus
:ultdarkpit:: Phosphora
:ultpokemontrainer:: Their rival
:ultridley:: Weavel?
:ultrob:: Professor Hector
:ultrobin:: Gaius or Tharja
:ultrosalina:: Lubba
:ultroy:: Eliwood
:ultchrom:: Lissa
:ultryu:: Chun Li
:ultken:: Guile
:ultsamus:: The Baby
:ultdarksamus:: Anyone they corrupted, preferable one of the hunters like Rundas.
:ultsheik:: Impa
:ultshulk:: Reyn
:ultsimon:: Captain N I think the most directly related Belmont to him is Trevor so him?
:ultrichter:: Alucard
:ultsnake:: Raiden?
:ultsonic:: Tails
Steve: A Villager
:ult_terry:: Rock Howard
:ulttoonlink:: Tetra
:ultvillager:: Their favorite villager which is probably Raymond cause they're a normie.
:ultwario:: Mona or Jimmy T
:ultwiifittrainer:: Ring Fit People
:ultwolf:: Leon
:ultyoshi:: Poochy
:ultyounglink:: OoT Zelda That's the third time so I'm changing it up. Skull Kid
:ultzelda:: LttP Link Hilda?

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I can imagine. Fighting Sol in mugen is a pain.
Glad to see my boi Sol kicking the ass of a JoJo's character

Ah, another has joined our ranks.
View attachment 288834
I assume you'll be playing 3rd next, right?
That line. She has too many good quotes.

Yes I'll play Sky 3rd, no doubt about it. But I will wait a while for that to take a break, I played Sky FC and Sky SC relatively close so I don't want to feel saturated or anything. I'll wait a while and then start Sky 3rd with a lot of hype.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I dunno, I'm not going to say Lara is impossible and she certainly has a legacy that could help her get into Smash.

I just feel like she'd have a hard time against other SE characters? Does she have any Japanese popularity or is it largely/only western? because if not I imagine that could be an issue. has Sakurai ever talked about or praised tomb Raider like he has with Geno and I believe Nier Automata? While Nintendo ties aren't as important as they once were perhaps, Tomb Raider not really having any ties with Nintendo IIRC like Bravely Default and even KH to a small extent does doesn't help matters atleast.

All that said I've never played a Tomb Raider game so I'm largely indifferent to Lara Croft. Wouldn't be against her inclusion but can't say I really see it happening.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
ComicFoil choose Jody Summer after discovering she's Captain Falcon's sister.
No I'm not joking; that is canon. Kinda.
Huh, neat. I don't know much about the F-Zero anime, so that's news to me as well.

I'm watching the video and so far he's chosen all the same characters for the Mario characters as me except Toadette so I'm probably not going to be in for a surprise.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, I'm not going to say Lara is impossible and she certainly has a legacy that could help her get into Smash.

I just feel like she'd have a hard time against other SE characters? Does she have any Japanese popularity or is it largely/only western? because if not I imagine that could be an issue. has Sakurai ever talked about or praised tomb Raider like he has with Geno and I believe Nier Automata? While Nintendo ties aren't as important as they once were perhaps, Tomb Raider not really having any ties with Nintendo IIRC like Bravely Default and even Kh to a small extent do doesn't help matters atleast.

All that said I've never played a Tomb Raider game so I'm largely indifferent to Lara Croft. Wouldn't be against her inclusion but can't say I really see it happening.
Tomb Raider seems to have at least sold very decently in Japan during the PS1 era. (edit: ranging from 100-200k for the 3 PS1 era titles)
The newer games have fallen off a bit though - something around 30-50 thousand sales each?
Here's the source.

Note that I have zero clue about the actual popularity of Lara herself in Japan.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Sakurai:
Steve: 1
Ken: 1
Banjo: 5
incineroar: 4
Isabelle: 3
O tto, I still have one point left, who should I use it on guys?
Skipping characters who are already in...

2 for the precious octos.

4 for Skull Kid.

5 for Sora.

4 for Shadow.
Those are my picks, personally. :dr^_^:

As for yours...Hmm...

Use the last two on Octolings, 'cause I'm biased as heck.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I would honestly Argue that Lara is Probably more Iconic than Most of the characters in Smash, including 3rd parties. She's Among Pac-Man, Sonic Level, especially thanks to the Movies and such. and Her Reboot games have done well as well. She has the Legacy and stuff. She's owned by Square, but Nintendo has been working with them since 4.

Perhaps her Issues is dealing with Implementation, or Perhaps even Likeness. It might also be some Licensing issues with the Company that made Lara that got bought by Square. I think if Lara was more of a Requested Character in Smash, There probably be more effort to settle whatever issues there are. She is getting steam but That might be too late for this game. She'll make a good Smash 6 addition though

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lara has everything that it takes to be a Smash character (long history, tons of classic games, iconic factor) and none of what it takes to be a Smashboards frontrunner ("leaks", recent game on Nintendo console, being the frontrunner for her company), so that leaves her in a weird limbo where everybody agrees on her likelihood but she hasn't been discussed enough to immediately come to mind when people predict characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom