• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I still don't see how people saying Lloyd is the most popular Tales character in Japan when that is clearly Yuri and Leon because they are so popular they had to be taken off and banned from the popularity polls and put into a Hall of Fame because they kept coming in first place. If anything Lloyd is more popular in the West

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
And while probably it won't happen I'd like to see Sakurai taking a vacation or something. Then he could start KI: Uprising 2
At this point I'll settle for Uprising 1 remastered. I never did get to play it on the 3DS
Relevant meme:

This is basically what we're looking at if we get any content after Volume 2.
I want to get off Mr. Bones Wild Ride...
I WANT TO GET OFF MR. BONES WILD RIDE!

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
With 1 character being confirmed in my original prediction (Steve) and one getting disconfirmed (Travis), I think now is a good time to check what change and what I think of the last remaining 4 of my original prediction that I did back in March.

-Ryu Hayabusa: by far the one that I'm the more confident that he will get in. With Tecmo working with Nintendo on Hyrule warriors age of calamity, and Nintendo pushing Atelier Ryza 2 (especially in Japan), it seems clear that Koei tecmo is now a important partner to Nintendo. Alaco according to Vergeben, Nintendo did talk to Koei tecmo about Smash. While that could end up with nothing, I feel confident tha Hayabusa will get in eventually. He's pretty much the face of the developpers and has a big legacy so I'm sure he wil be chosen before a Atelier rep.

-Dante: Nothing really changed for Dante, although with Min min confirming that Sakurai is open to add content from already represent franchises, and Monster getting not only one but two games, I might have underestime Monster hunter chances. That being said, it's possible that Sakurai was pleased with Monster hunter being rep with a boss, so he would go with DMC. DMC 5 is also getting a next gen enhanced version, which show that Capcom think that the franchise is pretty important now. I still think Dante have more chances than Wright considering that nothing changed for Ace attorney.

-Arle: Like Dante, nothing really changed for her. She's getting a new game later this year on switch, which might help a bit, but she already had a strong presence on Switch so it probably don't matter that much. Streets of rage 4 got a revival, which was a pretty big succes, but I think this was way too late to being really consider into Smash as a playable fighters. Yakuza is another honorable mentions, but with still no sign of the franchises to touch a Nintendo console, I think Puyo puyo will have priority.

-2B: Probably the one that I was the least confident, I'm still unsure about 2B. Square is seems to pushing way more the Nier franchises right now, especially in the West. Unfortunately, she stil don't have any Nintendo presence, although that might means nothing. I still think that 2B is the most likely Square rep if do get one more, considering that Bravely isn't really getting any push and I still have doubt about Geno except if Nintendo really want to please the fans.

So in general, aside from 2B who I'm quite unsure, I still feels pretty confident in my original prediction. Of course, I'm not pretending that I will have predict everything and that no other charaacters than those 4 have a shot, but at least my original prediction all have decent chances of getting in, with Hayabusa probably having bigger chances.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still don't see how people saying Lloyd is the most popular Tales character in Japan when that is clearly Yuri and Leon because they are so popular they had to be taken off and banned from the popularity polls and put into a Hall of Fame because they kept coming in first place. If anything Lloyd is more popular in the West
I'm not overly familiar with the Tales series, but I assume this plays a part. (if we're talking about popularity in terms of Smash speculation)

The Tales series has 20 years of history, how did you decide on Lloyd for the costume?

Sakurai: I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?

For example, how about the protagonist of the first game, Cress? [TN: From Tales of Phantasia]

Sakurai: I really think it has to be Lloyd here (laughs). I could have gone down the route of choosing from the first entry in the series, but for old games it’s somewhat common for the editorial supervision from the original creator to make the process difficult.
It's in the context of him being a Mii costume in Smash 4, but when it comes to Smash material, that's all that we have to go on.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm not overly familiar with the Tales series, but I assume this plays a part. (if we're talking about popularity in terms of Smash speculation)

It's in the context of him being a Mii costume in Smash 4, but when it comes to Smash material, that's all that we have to go on.
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather go off of the fact that those two characters continuously one the popularity poll enough tyo straight up get banned from it rather than some one off statements Sakurai said

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Probably 4, if we go by the WoL slots. They may make it only 4 too as a last hurrah
Oh yeah! I forgot about that.

If that’s the case I could see; for the remainder of FP2:

Ryu Hayabusa
Gen. VIII Pokémon
Rex & Pyra
Geno or Sora

For the pure speculation of FP3:

Impa (Young Impa; I want it so bad.)
Euden
Monster Hunter
Geno or Sora (Whichever didn’t make it in FP2.)

I want to pose the question: If making the Smash Roster an even 100, your “perfect” roster, who would need to be there?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather go off of the fact that those two characters continuously one the popularity poll enough tyo straight up get banned from it rather than some one off statements Sakurai said
I'm not sure how reliable popularity polls are, given how heavily the audience can differ depending on how it's conducted. Take Fire Emblem: Three Houses, for example. Going by Famitsu and Nintendo Dream polls, Dimitri is the most popular house leader by a large margin, but going by Fire Emblem Heroes, Edelgard seems to be the most popular with a significantly larger gap between her and Dimitri than the Famitsu poll. The first two are magazines while FE Heroes is a gacha game, which might explain the discrepancy.

Then again, I'm not familiar with the Tales series (I've only played Symphonia, and I didn't even finish it because I was stuck on a particular story event), so I'm not sure if Yuri or Leon are consistently the most popular regardless of who you ask, or whether they're mainly popular in magazine polls. (I'm not even sure who Leon is or what game he's from)

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Ryu Hayabusa
Gen. VIII Pokémon
Rex & Pyra
Geno or Sora

Euden
Monster Hunter

I want to pose the question: If making the Smash Roster an even 100, your “perfect” roster, who would need to be there?
I would want Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and Resident Evil. Ideally Kris Deltarune too but that's never going to happen.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm not sure how reliable popularity polls are, given how heavily the audience can differ depending on how it's conducted. Take Fire Emblem: Three Houses, for example. Going by Famitsu and Nintendo Dream polls, Dimitri is the most popular house leader by a large margin, but going by Fire Emblem Heroes, Edelgard seems to be the most popular with a significantly larger gap between her and Dimitri than the Famitsu poll. The first two are magazines while FE Heroes is a gacha game, which might explain the discrepancy.

Then again, I'm not familiar with the Tales series (I've only played Symphonia, and I didn't even finish it because I was stuck on a particular story event), so I'm not sure if Yuri or Leon are consistently the most popular regardless of who you ask, or whether they're mainly popular in magazine polls. (I'm not even sure who Leon is or what game he's from)
Both the Dream and Famitsu poll are Japanese-only while the Heroes poll was worldwide, so it's possible that Edelgard may have a lot more western popularity. That said, it does highlight why it's always a good idea to take into account the polling sample and the trend between polls as it can shift with the audience.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Ryu Hayabusa
Gen. VIII Pokémon
Rex & Pyra
Geno or Sora

Euden
Monster Hunter

Remainder of Vol. 2
  • Sora
  • Scorbunny
  • Bandana Dee
  • Crash Bandicoot
Vol. 3:
  • Sakura Shinguji
  • King Boo
  • Euden
  • Jill Valentine

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The amount of people that are mad that Male Byleth is finally getting some attention in the form of the amiibo on Twitter is hilarious
I mean...Male Byleth already got plenty of attention since he's used for the CSS icon and being the only one to show up on the banner.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I still don't think a Volume 3 is happening. Better to not expect it and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around.

However... one thing to note is that if Volume 2 was a chance for base game (and potentially Volume 1) series that were already represented... we could see the same for Volume 3, theoretically.

So Ring Fit, Astral Chain, Sword and Shield and potentially even third parties like Resident Evil and Tekken could be back in the running.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We're currently at 84 characters (Steve's number 77, plus :ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter:), so assuming that we're building off of Ultimate (meaning no assist trophy or DLC Mii costume upgrades)...

1. Geno (Mario)
2. Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)
3. Doomguy (DOOM)
4. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
5. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
6. Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)
7. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles)
8. Impa (Zelda - could be based on either her Hyrule Warriors or Age of Calamity versions)
9. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
10. Rayman (Rayman)
11. Jin Kazama (Tekken; Heihachi would be my personal preference, but he's a Mii costume)
12. Porky (Earthbound)
13. 2B (Nier Automata)
14. Master Chief (Halo)
15. Octoling (Splatoon) (echo)
16. Jeanne (Bayonetta) (echo)

I went with a mix of characters that I really want and characters from series that I feel should be expanded on, like Zelda or Xenoblade. I threw some echo fighters in there because I felt like they'd be easy/obvious picks for echo fighters. I originally had Tails as a Sonic echo as number 14 before realizing that he's a DLC Mii costume, and if I make an exception for him, I'd be making exceptions for Heihachi, Travis Touchdown, and whoever else, so I figured it's best to stick to the limitations that we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Ryu Hayabusa
Gen. VIII Pokémon
Rex & Pyra
Geno or Sora

Euden
Monster Hunter

Assuming none are echoes:

FP8: Ahri
FP9: Elma
FP10: Octoling
FP11: Neku
FP12: Crash (Predict) or new Kirby character (want)
FP13: Dixie (Predict) or KOS-MOS (Want)
FP14: Arle (predict) or Black Shadow (Want)
FP15: Hayabusa (predict) or Mecha-Fiora (want)

As for the perfect 100 imma need time to think on that. May give an answer after work

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, I'm going with the assumption that Steve is #77, so for the sake of it:

FP2:

78. Scorpion (Sheer WTF factor FTW.)
79. LoL character
80. Dante
81. Reimu

Post-FP2 (FP3?):

82. Euden (Dragalia)
83. Gordon Freeman
84. KOS-MOS
85. Arle

FP4 (Sakurai groans)

86. [Gen 9 Pokemon or Urshifu if it's designed like Kuma / Panda]
87. Story of Seasons' Farmer
88. Master Chief
89. Waluigi
90. Crash

FP5 (Sakurai limps on the floor)

91. Yuri Lowell
92. Ganon
93. Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft - either her Human / Terran sniper / Ghost self, or her infected Zerg Queen self)
94. Ryu Hayabusa
95. 2B

FP6 ("I've become one with Smash. Never ask anything from me ever again.")

96. Space Invaders
97. Lara Croft
98. Dynasty Warriors (Lu Bu perhaps? Might lean Zhuge for the dankest timeline.)
99. Jin Kazama or Kazuya Mishima
100. Dota 2 character or Ezio (not picky here)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
4. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
6. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
7. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
8. Shantae [Shantae]

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
FP6 ("I've become one with Smash. Never ask anything from me ever again.")
"The year is 2028. Smash Ultimate is in its sixth season and Masahiro Sakurai has transcended humanity and transplanted his own conscience into Smash. Now instead of Directs, he just turns on all of the worlds' Switches directly and speaks to the playerbase in real time whenever there's an update.

He also numbers all updates in binary now, because why not."

Eldrake

Smash Lord
#78: Gordon Freeman (Half-Life)
#79: Dante (Devil May Cry)
#80: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
#81: Rayman (Rayman)
#82: Bill Rizer (Contra)
#83/#84: Agumon w/ WarGreymon transformation (Digimon)
#85: Sylux (Metroid)
#86: Adeleine & Ribbon (Kirby)
#87: Crash (Crash)
#88: Neku (The World Ends With You)
#89: The Prince (Prince of Persia)
#90: Phoenix Wright w/ Apollo Justice alt (Ace Attorney)
#91: Soldier (Team Fortress 2)
#92: Jason Frudnick (Blaster Master)
#93: Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
#94: Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
#95: Chosen Undead w/ Solaire of Astora alt (Dark Souls)
#96: Black Shadow but Nintendo announces a guessing game announced three months prior to official reveal (F-Zero)
#97: Arthas with Paladin alt (Warcraft)
#98: Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
#99: Rytlock Brimstone or The Commander (Guild Wars 2)
#100: Juggernaut or Anti-Mage with Wei alt (Dota 2)

I'd give a lot to live in this timeline, ngl.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Is it greedy of me to want more characters after Fighter’s Pass 2? I know it’s been said that there are no plans beyond this pass, but plans can change, especially if Nintendo has any say. Like I know tons of games go beyond 3 seasons or so. Some are on Season 3, 4 or even 5 in terms of fighters. At the very least, they should forgo the pass system, and do individual releases.
I mean yeah it is, but is there anybody here who doesn't want that? We're down to only four chances for our most wanteds to get in. It would be amazing to have even more chances. And sure, Smash 6 is pretty much guaranteed, but it's probably still years away, as opposed to getting characters we want within the next couple years.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My picks would be.

2B
Amaterasu
Bandana Dee
Black Shadow (Echo of:ultfalcon:)
Crash Bandicoot
Cynthia (Garchomp, Milotic, Spiritomb)
Dixie Kong
Doom Slayer
Elma
Kat
Kratos & Atreus
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Medusa (Echo of:ultpalutena:)
Phoenix Wright
Ryu Hayabusa

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
The only characters I'd still want to see are:
  • Geno (Mario series)
  • Conker (Conker series)
  • Master Chief (Halo series)
  • Tails (Sonic series)
  • Porky (Mother series)
  • Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney series)
  • Crash Bandicoot (Crash series)
  • Spyro (Spyro series)
  • Waluigi (only if AT upgrades are possible)

blackghost

Smash Champion
Is Soul Calibur considered niche? I was honestly shocked by how many people didn’t know Terry, so I guess I don’t have a pulse on which fighting games are known by Normies & which aren’t lmao
soul calibur isnt niche. it has sold 13 million over its lifetime. people in this community have often not paid attention to fighting games and not games that Nintendo hasnt had in over 15 years now. soul calibur is the second biggest 3d fighter out.

Droodle

Smash Lord
TBH, every now and then I get reminded how big Arle is in terms of Smash demand in the east, and suddenly I think she has a super good chance. She's essentially the Banjo over there in terms of long term requests since Smash 4, and is really big in speculation too. On top of being just a lot more generally recognizable; I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it in this pass.

The only problem is that we have like 4 slots left, and probably a dozen or so front runners. It gets hard to predict who's going to get in or not.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Every Video Game Icon. And every Nintendo Icon. Because I care more about the notoriety of the game than my own choices.
Lara Croft
Angry Birds
Frogger
Captain/ Toad
Dixie Kong

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
#78: Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
#78e: Amitie (Puyo Puyo)
#79: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
#79e: Roxas (Kingdom Hearts)
#80: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
#80e: Apollo Justice (Ace Attorney)
#81: Lloyd (Tales of)
#82: Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
#83: Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
#84: Impa (Zelda)
#85: Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade)
#86: Shantae (Shantae)
#87: Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
#88: Octoling (Splatoon)
#89: Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
#89e: Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton)
#90: Reimu (Touhou)
#91: Waluigi (Mario)
#92: Isaac (Golden Sun)
#93: Krystal (Star Fox)
#94: Rhythm Heaven Rep
#95: Chris Redfield/Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
#95e: Jill Valentine/Claire Redfield (Resident Evil)
#96: Geno (Mario)
#97: Elma (Xenoblade)
#98: Ashley (Warioware)
#99: Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
#99e: Coco Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
#100: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
  1. Rayman
  2. Crash
  3. Spyro
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
  6. Kazuya Mishima
  7. Amaterasu
  8. Dante
  9. Phoenix Wright
  10. Dixie Kong
  11. Rex & Pyra
  12. Mecha Fiora
  13. Masked Man (Mother 3)
  14. Geno
  15. Sora
  16. Master Chief
This mixes my personal bias with highly requested characters.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i thought yuri was more beloved in the west as well. people say Lloyd here because Lloyd is in two games on nintendo consoles. and yuri isnt. yuri doesnt follow any JRPG protagonists cliches at all: he has his memory, he is not naive, he is competent, funny, sarcastic, heck there's a moment in the game where he assassinates a guy in a cutscene that you think you would have to deal with later simply because he had the opportunity. all of this plus tales of vesperia is the most liked game in the series I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom