• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
There are still other Koei Tecmo reps to choose from.
Nintendo prioritizes almost always the most popular. Don't believe me? Let's look:
We got Mega Man before anyone else, and after him? Ryu, not a Monster Hunter, not Dante, not Phoenix Wright. They gave that chance to Mr. Crossover himself.
Cloud was literally added because he was the most popular Final Fantasy character out there. Even Sakurai points out how guys like Terra couldn't compare to him.
And arguably Terry was the same. Not only was he the most popular SNK character, but also the most iconic you could get with the company.
So yeah, I can see why most people would vouch for Hayabusa over anyone else.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We've heard about him being in negotiations specifically as a fighter. You can doubt the insiders, but nothing's pointing to him being in as a Mii or a Spirit. This isn't like Travis where we knew he was in the game but not in what capacity.
I also don't think that FP2 will have any characters from mature franchises. I think that FP2 will be geared more towards younger audiences, unlike FP1 which features characters that appeal more to older fans.

D

Deleted member

I have something to say.

I am taking a break from this thread. Not SmashBoards, I will chill in the social thread. I am just taking a break from this thread.

I will return when CP8 is revealed.

This community is quite nice, it is just it can get quite tiring talking about the same things at times. Plus, I want to play Minecraft.
If it is ****ing Steve, that will be SO HYPE!!!!! :D

I will do another Hardcore run.
I am keeping my promise.
1601751090728.png

Have fun with Steve in Smash, everyone!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I also don't think that FP2 will have any characters from mature franchises. I think that FP2 will be geared more towards younger audiences, unlike FP1 which features characters that appeal more to older fans.
That's a weird conclusion to arrive at after only two characters. Especially given only one character hailed from an M-rated game in the last Pass.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think's Travis Mii Costume inclusion is actually interesting for establishing a good timeline of DLC for Smash Ultimate (not just the characters)

Remember that Suda Deconfirmed Travis for FP1, and then he doubled down that later on. Few weeks ago, he said no comment, and then we got Travis Costume

I think with this is that I don't think Travis was planned from the start to be added as a costume at least. Characters like Sans and Cuphead were planned from the begining likely. I'm sure Atlair and Rabbids were planned from the beginning too and probably not Rayman.

We're getting to the point where we're getting Costumes that probably wouldn't be in if FP2 wasn't a thing. I wasn't sure where to put Vault boy on the timeline since Bethasda did contact Nintendo in E3 of 2018, however I can safely say Travis is a FP2 Decided Costume

I'm gonna make a timeline. I don't know if it will provide anything interesting, but i think it could be useful. in any case, I don't think Ubisoft is on the table, but with the detached limbs Minecraft costumes got, i think we could get Rayman even if we already got Ubisoft costumes

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That's a weird conclusion to arrive at after only two characters. Especially given only one character hailed from an M-rated game in the last Pass.
But still, all of the other characters were primarily geared towards the older audience, with Byleth coming from a rather mature series by Nintendo standards and Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry all being nostalgic favorites.

And my evidence of FP2 being more child friendly, here it is:

FP1 was given a 12 rating in Brazil while FP2 only got a 10.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Choosing a character from a Tecmo Koei franchise that just barely got its footing in the west over the most recognizable and popular character Tecmo has at their disposal for over 3 decades? Eeehhhhh.

Like it or not, M Rated characters are part of Smash now, and just because the ESRB goes into a fit whenever they see a M-Rated game logo isn't gonna change things.

Using Steve as evidence of this is not enough in my eyes. The game is over A DECADE old, and a LARGE majority of people that talk about Minecraft now are Grown Ass Men who played the game when it was new YEARS ago. Pretending Minecraft is still just "the recent game that is trendy with kids" is ignorant if im honest.

Yes, Steve is popular of kids of today, but you could say the same for Mario, or the Pokémon, or Sonic. Minecraft was added due to legacy and brand-recognition, not because this Pass is aimed at the kiddies (and if im honest Kids aren't the main demographic for DLC in general anyway, it's the more hardcore adults who are into this kinda stuff, and you better believe Minecraft has its hardcore members)

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
You know what

SCREW IT

if E3 would have had Steve (FP7) AND FP8 as a dual reveal I’m calling that both would be ABSURDLY HUGE worldwide

thats right I’m putting my chips on FP8 being from LoL and the HK costume coming with them

would also work ABSURDLY well as a TGA reveal too, not that I’m counting on that happening
If FP8 was supposed to be at E3 too, I can totally see a Grand Theft Auto rep being the perfect companion parallel as the biggest series not in Smash and GTA V being the second highest selling game in the world. Perfect way to introduce echoes and a more realistic gunner focused fighter. Super odd and unrealistic followed by pretty down to earth as far as Smash is concerned. Both series are big with kids and adults alike even with one having a mature target audience.. GTA was even an inspiration for NMH and, well, he is unfortunately not very likely anymore.

There's this comment on Dec 2018 from Ned Luke, Michael's voice actor where he took a picture of his seemingly new Nintendo Switch and randomly also saying #SmashBros as well despite the game being nowhere in sight..

There's also this comment back in late 2019 where Shawn Fonteno, Franklin's voice actor, said how they might be brining CJ back and how they have something coming up but he just can't say.

With how long talks seem to take with Smash, this could still mean something. Maylay, CJ's voice, deflected harshly to any GTA VI or Rockstar involvement eventually afterwards. Eventually they both had a neat chat on a livestream about the situation. Fonteno said he was just playing and trying to hype up the crowd and was playing, while that could be true, he might actually be hinting to something and just deflecting considering how people like Ned Luke teased people into finding what secret character he played in RDR 2. Actors seem to be the last to know when a project moves forward but most Rockstar Games content usually starts recording years before their games release so maybe Smash is somewhat similar to a lesser extent of time?

Either that or something less exciting to the west followed by Steve could've made sense too. I could see multiple possibilities like GTA just getting a Mii Costume, especially if that new remaster includes a Switch version like LA Noire did in 2017.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Choosing a character from a Tecmo Koei franchise that just barely got its footing in the west over the most recognizable and popular character Tecmo has at their disposal for over 3 decades? Eeehhhhh.
Even though said series invented the concept of alchemy in RPGs, which has been used in many games since.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But still, all of the other characters were primarily geared towards the older audience, with Byleth coming from a rather mature series by Nintendo standards and Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry all being nostalgic favorites.

Could just be that no character is going to pull out a glock this time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

it is subject to change imo as it's not complete, but I too doubt another M-rated franchise character seeing as how they're going out of their way to remove logos of M-rated games in the North America Mii Costume segments

edit RileyXY1 RileyXY1 boi how u likin my posts so damn fast lmao

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah I'm really starting to doubt the chances of these characters. Maybe they could make an exception somewhere, but at this rate I doubt both Geno AND Lloyd will get in. At least one of them is definitely getting the axe.
None of the remaining costumes stand out to me.

Geno would be suspicious if the Chicobo Hat weren't still missing. MH is a little strange, but we already got a full boss with a bonus soundtrack; that comes across as very "final". Lloyd is the only wildcard with seemingly nothing relevant holding him back, but Heihachi randomly returned with Min Min.

"He's still missing," is the best argument for these guys, but the slow drip of returning costumes without any of them being upgraded doesn't bode well.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Either that or something less exciting to the west followed by Steve could've made sense too. I could see multiple possibilities like GTA just getting a Mii Costume, especially if that new remaster includes a Switch version like LA Noire did in 2017.
If we end up getting a Big Smoke costume, its reveal should take place exclusively on the Spirit Train. You know why...

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Actually I'm confused, why is Notch not very Desirable? the only thing I know about the guy is that he Created Minecraft and then sold it to Microsoft
Basically he has opinions, which, just in case you didn't know, aren't allowed unless they fit into the narrow views of the vocal mobs of an interconnected world. I don't agree with all of his views, but he's very vocal and people don't like it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Ratings for DLC change overtime, the 10 rating means nothing for the upcoming characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ratings for DLC change overtime, the 10 rating means nothing for the upcoming characters.
It still would be weird if Ryu was introduced with "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Ryu Hayabusa" instead of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Ninja Gaiden". This problem would not exist if they choose Ryza to be playable instead.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ryu Hayabusa seems very likely. He would complete the great NES trio with Simon, Megaman, Mario, Kirby, Link, Samus, etc. Nearly all of the major NES franchises would be represented.

His parent company is also a major ally of Nintendo and more than deserving to have a character. He seems like the most iconic of the Tecmo Koei characters. His main competition might be a Zelda character from Hyrule Warriors lol. Still, I think he will make it in even over a Dynasty Warriors character.

Interestingly, I am surprised the original Hyrule Warriors never had Vaati as a playable character. It seemed like a miss opportunity for a cool villain character.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Basically he has opinions, which, just in case you didn't know, aren't allowed unless they fit into the narrow views of the vocal mobs of an interconnected world. I don't agree with all of his views, but he's very vocal and people don't like it.
Not the place for this, buuuuut the man can’t even decry literal Nazis without equating them to “SJWs”. His views are incredibly narrow minded and toxic, and have been for some time. Please don’t play the “boohoo, this toxic millionaire is being censored“ card.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

.....and?

Ryu Hayabusa's design has nothing that screams "M Rated", he's just you basic Ninja in design. If anything i would argue Ryza is the on more likely to get censored because we can't have girls showing leg like that you know? (im partially joking on this of course) NJ is gory? Just.....don't have him drop blood. Problem Solved. I mean i played the NES games and i don't remember anything particulary edgy or mature.

Honestly all of the arguments you are giving are basically that Ryu's reveal would have it be "Smash Bros X Ryu Hayabusa", but that's not gonna magically exclude Ryu when he was likely beign developed (assuming he is in Smash) long before ESRB started having a fit (because this whole logo censoring stuff started appearing at the end FP1, before that they had no issue showing game logos).

Saying Ryu can't get in because of M-Rated games is like saying Simon couldn't get in because of Castlevania's later M Rated games. You will be surprised to see how dark the series could get, and i don't think i need to talk about the Netflix show, where Dracula makes a MASSACRE in the FIRST Episode.

Even though said series invented the concept of alchemy in RPGs, which has been used in many games since.
.....that's oddly specific, and not a great reason to add her.

Introducing Alchemy in games isn't what i call "prime candidate for representation in Smash", Hell Alchemy is very obscure in most pop culture and is not a real reason to give her priority over the rest of the 3rd parties at our disposal.

You know what IS extremely prominent in Gaming? Ninjas, and Ryu is among the most popular and recognizable of them. Im not saying that just because he's a Ninja he is more likely, but since Sakurai has clearly a thing for Ninjas (Considered Ninjara, the Ninja Ability in Super Star, he added Shiek and Greninja) i wouldn't be surprised if he finds some appeal in him.

and an RPG? Please, we have tons of them, we surely can have more no doubt but again, other candidates are more well known, requested, popular, prominent and don't have to worry about competing with Ryu Hayabusa.

"MUH ALCHEMY" is unique i will give it that, but aside of that i don't see anyting that makes her a prime candidate. Hell i believe Kasumi is more likely than her, Mai Shiranui Syndrome Notwithstanding.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just got back from work, so I'm going to watch the presentation. All I really know going into it is the release date (October 13th), the Mii costumes, and that Banjo and Kazooie's amiibo is revealed.

Shame about Travis being turned into a Mii costume; it would have been great to see him playable, though at least he made it into Smash somehow. Glad that there weren't any other gut punches in this set - so far, Ultimate's been pretty good at avoiding those, unlike Smash 4. (why they thought that this would make for a good consolation prize, I have no idea)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Still in my 4 hour watch of Steve's explanation. Gotta say- not only amazing in mechanics, but clearly a huge homage to Minecraft. Sakurai is truly an artist, and it gets more fun to watch these characters from a theoretical standpoint.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It still would be weird if Ryu was introduced with "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Ryu Hayabusa" instead of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Ninja Gaiden". This problem would not exist if they choose Ryza to be playable instead.
Oh god, people think this is an Issue?

"Great, we just made a deal with Sakurai-San to include Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden in Smash!"

"BUT MR KOEI TECMO, WE CAN'T ADD RYU BECAUSE THE ESRB DOESN'T WANT US TO SHOW THE FRANCHISES' NAME, EVEN THOUGH PEOPLE COULD EASILY GOOGLE IT AND IT'S ONLY AN ISSUE IN THE US"

"NOOOOOOOOOO WE CAN'T ADD RYU NOW, WE MUST ADD RYZA INSTEAD NOOOOOOOO"

Come on, this is "We can't add Roy because we a already have a Roy" levels of Strawgrasping.

Also i see Ryza as a more likely spirit event, because most recente Spirit Event Collabs also include recent releases of games like Trails of Mana Remake and Octopath Traveler, so i see them adding a Spirit event to promote Atelier Ryza 2 with no real issue (granted, if this happnes BEFORE Ryu makes it to Smash, then bye bye Ryu Hayabusa)

Shroob

Sup?
1601753276453.png

Was wondering how long it'd take for Notch to be brought up in regards to Steve getting in. Took longer than I expected tbh

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Both Ninja Gaiden and Atelier would make some amazing worlds to add into Smash and I'd be fine with either. Likewise I'd be fine with either DOOM or Skyrim if Bethesda were to get something. I dont care if these series are "competing" with each other for a spot, as long as we get good new worlds and characters it will be a good thing still and I dont think we need to treat them as rival sports teams at the end of the day, there's probably a lot more going when chosing one after all, like getting the rights, getting a specific type of character or moveset etc.

If Ryu gets added I think the narrator will just say Ryu like with Roy, while the screen will have the full display, but I'd go with calling him Hayabusa as ift was already done.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing with Notch is that regardless of his views he's not really involved with Minecraft at this point and essentially not really relevant to details about Steve in Smash to boot. His contemporary actions are no more critical than Yuji Naka's current activities are to any further Sonic characters in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm about twelve minutes into Steve's presentation, and I feel like he's going to make the stage selection in competitive play even more restrictive than it already is (if he's competitively viable), given that the material that he mines seems to vary from stage to stage. (for example, I assume that Steve players aren't likely going to want to play on Kongo Jungle 64, since it's mainly wood; I'm not sure what stages are considered competitive ones, but I feel like this might cut that list down even further)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm about twelve minutes into Steve's presentation, and I feel like he's going to make the stage selection in competitive play even more restrictive than it already is (if he's competitively viable), given that the material that he mines seems to vary from stage to stage. (for example, I assume that Steve players aren't likely going to want to play on Kongo Jungle 64 in any form, since it's mainly wood)
Steve players gonna ban AC stages so that we can finally have good music in competitive

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I remember when the male robin amiibo came out I searched high and low for it and every store and never found it. Then one day I saw it at GameStop and I instantly bought it. I'm afraid I'm going to be acting the same way to male byleth because God damn it I simp male Byleth as much as I simp for male robin

Last edited:

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Interestingly, I am surprised the original Hyrule Warriors never had Vaati as a playable character. It seemed like a miss opportunity for a cool villain character.
Koei Tecmo and Capcom have a notoriously bad relationship. Capcom filed a lawsuit against Koei back in 2014. I'm not surprised that Koei didn't include Vaati in Hyrule Warriors because of this.

I don't think Koei would mind having Ryu Hayabusa show up in Smash and appear alongside Capcom characters though.

I think Vaati's owned by Capcom. He only really appears in Zelda games made by them. It would be great if he returned, I agree. It just seems like he's too distanced from Nintendo's interests with the series for them to acquire the rights.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Koei Tecmo and Capcom have a notoriously bad relationship. Capcom filed a lawsuit against Koei back in 2014. I'm not surprised that Koei didn't include Vaati in Hyrule Warriors because of this.

I don't think Koei would mind having Ryu Hayabusa show up in Smash and appear alongside Capcom characters though.
Which is a pity given the potential of a Mega Man Warriors game with characters from all the MM sub-franchises.

7NATOR

Smash Master

This is Music Menu Theory. I'm not the one that made it

Apprantly it's saying that since Minecraft will be under Persona Box, that it will take 2 New Franchises to make a perfect square. Therefor, 2 of the DLC Characters are coming from represented Franchises. I don't know how important a Perfect Square is, but eh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom