• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Tbf I think it’s less Travis’s cult status and more so his... well... play style. I always maintained his play style wouldn’t be for good boys and girls so the Mii was the best compromise and Suda seemed ok with it

TWEWY isn’t that inappropriate in comparison
Maybe. Or maybe he just... didn't make it. Lots of Mii costumes are of characters that could be playable but it just didn't happen for them.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'm not looking forward to December lol.

Steve will hold us over for some time, but you just know like, a week or two after he comes out, people are gonna get antsy, and come December with TGAs....

View attachment 288164
Yeah, I am not expecting anything from the Game Awards. Maybe if it's a character that would appeal to Geoff Keighley, but even then I am not expecting something from TGA.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
On this note, I've come to make another announcement.

Travis guy suddenly changes from "I want him in Smash!" to "no comment" a few weeks ago, everyone assumes this is because Travis is in Smash now, which ends up confirmed, albeit as a Mii costume. The timeline from his change of tone to the reveal makes sense since Mii costumes wouldn't take a lot to develop.

Ubisoft suddenly changed from "we want Rayman in Smash!" to radio silence well over a year ago. Full on fighters take years to come out from working out the contracts to development time, a fighter NDA would be more strict than a Mii, and Ubisoft has drop kicked anything that could be misconstrued as a hint

In other words, Rayman.
"Travis Touchdown from the No More Heroes series provides potential evidence for Rayman" is now a phrase that makes perfect sense in context.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm not looking forward to December lol.

Steve will hold us over for some time, but you just know like, a week or two after he comes out, people are gonna get antsy, and come December with TGAs....

View attachment 288164
On the bright side, with amiibo Theory being pretty consistent and odds are the next wave is sometime next year, that might help keep expectations down and a bit more reasonable.

Might.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Dialing MrMcNuts MrMcNuts for the full rundown. Oh, and add this new revelation to the list why dontcha. :yeahboi:
Do you think the fact that Rayman not getting a mii costume leads credence to him potentially getting added in later now that we know mii costumes can have detached limbs as seen with the Minecraft costumes?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Since my former prediction list is bunk, I'm gonna put out a new one based on a mix of rumors that isn't baseless, educated guessing... and shameless bias.

FP8: Gordon Freeman
FP9: Rayman
FP10: Ryu Hayabusa or Dante
FP11: Agumon or a Nintendo character advertising an unknown and upcoming Nintendo title.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
May just be an America thing. CERO and PEGI allow the M rated logos to be shown
It's definitely just an ESRB thing. I guess I wouldn't know, but I think I'd be pretty hard pressed to find a person in America who would believe that a simple logo of something should raise an age rating unless the logo itself was suggestive.

But yeah once again, I apologize for that post from earlier. That wasn't cool of me.
I don't see the issue. You weren't dumping on anyone, just thinking characters weren't likely. If that's a crime then we're all guilty. lol

EDIT: Rie, you're starting to scare me. How are you liking my posts the second I click "Post reply"? lol

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
It's definitely just an ESRB thing. I guess I wouldn't know, but I think I'd be pretty hard pressed to find a person who would believe that a simple logo of something should raise an age rating unless the logo itself was suggestive.

I don't see the issue. You weren't dumping on anyone, just thinking characters weren't likely. If that's a crime then we're all guilty. lol
Eh, putting red X marks over characters that could be playable just makes me look like an ass.
1601742884511_compress79.jpg

volbound1700

Smash Master
I just finished the Sakurai presentation. Here are my thoughts:

1. Wow Steve et. all is a very unique character. Perhaps the most unique character yet. However, he almost seems too complicated for a good Smash match. It will be hard to adjust resources in a high pace fight.

2. The Minecraft stage is AMAZING. Just saying. The different variants reminds me of Mario Maker stage.

3. Travis Touchdown Mii was huge news. Deconfirms him. Sorry to the fans. However, I wasn't wanting him so perhaps a win for me if it gives me a character that I am interested in such as Crash, Rayman, or Doomguy

4. I love the Bomberman Mii Costume, will totally get it

5. Gil returns

I was hopeful for a second reveal for upcoming character but it didn't happen. It seems wierd that we only have 2 reveals so far when we are almost halfway to the completion of the pass. If it was space evenly, we should have 3 characters RELEASED in 2020 and 4 revealed. We only have 2 and 2 so far. Still, I can see how the team has been slammed making Minecraft. Wow, that must have taken a lot of work. The effort put into this character should have Minecraft fans pleased. I don't think any of the other DLC characters received so much effort and attention.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Man, I liked the costumes, but they shot down another of my wanteds. May he rest in peace, Travis.

That leaves only 1 out of 5, wow my luck is terrible. 3 took a massive hit and 1 was mii costumed.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
"Travis Touchdown from the No More Heroes series provides potential evidence for Rayman" is now a phrase that makes perfect sense in context.
Travis has ironically become a ray of hope for me in these dark times.
Do you think the fact that Rayman not getting a mii costume leads credence to him potentially getting added in later now that we know mii costumes can have detached limbs as seen with the Minecraft costumes?
As I said before, Ubisoft went radio silent a long time ago while Suda only recently changed his statements. As we've seen with Steve here, negotiations for fighters can go on for at least five years. Why would Ubisoft stop rooting for Rayman after getting Altair and Rabbid costumes? And why would they continue to be silent well after the fact? If they just shut up about Smash in general because of unrelated mii costumes then surely they would have gone right back to saying "Rayman for Smash!" afterwards. The continued silence gives credence to them having more content coming up, and the amount of time is way longer than for a simple Mii costume. If Rayman was a costume, why wouldn't he have just been put out with the other Ubisoft costumes? It's suspect.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Post-presentation speculation!

• 8 is Ryu Hayabusa: I believe the leaks. I think he's coming, and I think he'll be next. Additionally, the fact that Nintendo has handed Koei-Tecmo Fire Emblem and Zelda twice to develop warrior game spin-off games makes me feel like they pretty tight right now. This will also hopefully help me fill the Scorpion void I have because I know it's never happening...
  • 9 is Dante (75% chance) or Doomguy (25% chance): I do subscribe to the M-rated Theory, and I think Dante will happen. It has to for memesake! But in all seriousness, he's one of the few iconic Capcom reps I see having a legitimate chance. Also, I think the comment about him not being added until his games are on Nintendo systems, followed by their release on the Switch, does seem like more than coincidence. Alternatively, it could be Doomguy. I never really wanted him, but he's grown on me. Maybe it's the repeated exposure in message boards and videos... Anyway, I think he's got less of a chance than Dante. Cacomallow hasn't yet been disproven, and I think it won't be until we get hard facts from the Big N themselves. Either way, someone that spills blood will make an appearance.
  • 10 is a wildcard: I have a few that I think this could be, but I'm not confident enough to stand behind any of them with any degree of certainty. Tracer, Rayman, and another Nintendo rep are what come to mind. Or one of the leftovers form my final prediction...
  • 11 will be Geno (70%) or Crash (30%): I think that we will, for once, end with a bang. I think Sakurai does get instructions from Nintendo and he chooses accordingly. However, it would be silly to say he doesn't have input. I know he knows the undying demand for Geno (which, I admit, is stronger than us Isaac bros) and wants to cap off the greatest Smash game ever with one of the most consistently requested characters ever. The way the 11th fighter was "added" in the initial reveal of the second fighters pass has always made me feel like it was added to satisfy the fans after the rest of the pass was decided. I think Geno is that guy. Alternatively, I could see Crash being that guy, just for the sheer sake of overload he will cause for cereal box mascot fans. I don't like him at all, but yes, I must admit that it would be cool to see him go toe-to-toe with Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and the rest of the crew.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I sorta expected Travis to get in this way. To be honest, I felt like people were relying too much on Suda's love for Smash and the upcoming release. Still feel bad for his supporters, though at least Travis got something notable. I know that's probably a hollow victory, but not everyone can get a Mii costume.

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
Wanted to share my thoughts on Steve/Alex now that I've had a chance to digest the full Sakurai presents:

- Their kit looks like a blend of two popular zoners in this game, with mining looking very similar to :ultpacman: with his bonus fruit and :ultmegaman: with a neutral air and forward tilt attack appearing to be absent.

- It's hard to even begin to draw conclusions on how Steve/Alex will function in a competitive sense without more information on frame data and other important stats, and neutral does look like the hardest phase of the game to deal with, but his advantage state obviously looks amazing with being able to use blocks to edgeguard and gimp, and some extremely potent ledge trapping tools too (RIP heavies; as if they didn't already struggle hard enough to keep up competitively).

- His disadvantage, at least off-stage, seems like it could be incredible as well with how Steve players can use blocks to position themselves in areas practically impossible for the opposing player to reach for edgeguards and it can probably completely bypass any risk of him getting ledge trapped as well. But I'd imagine there will be a mix of using blocks, TNT, and mine cart for trapping opponents, while mining for materials to power up his attacks when the opponent is at ledge/off-stage trying to recover (also somewhat reminiscent of pac-man in this regard).

- His stage looks fantastic, although there's no way in hell it'll be a competitively legal stage lol (seems like DLC stages are all turning out to be this way, at least in their original form). Minecraft got shafted in terms of quantity of music, but what's there is pretty solid and I can understand that being sacrificed with how hard Sakurai had to work on doing all the programming to have Steve function with all the stages and characters in Ultimate.

- It's already been said several times, but Jesus christ this character looks hard af to play well and optimize. I consider myself a pretty capable player, but Steve looks like a character that requires a gargantuan effort to play; way more than I'd be willing to put into him. Probably best to solo main him for those of you interested in picking Steve up.

- Regardless of who everyone plays and what their natural strengths are (and also what stages Steve is strongest on), it's clear you'll have to play rushdown/aggressive vs Steve, even when you have the lead. Otherwise, you'll be putting yourself in a lot of trouble potentially by playing patient and letting him farm materials to power up his moves (similar to :ulthero:).

- I may have finally found a perfect character for casual play. I'll have to make a ruleset with the FS meter and the smash ball on just so I can troll people with that top tier final smash lol.

Other thoughts:

- RIP Travis. Didn't have a lot of attachment to him or his series, but he looked pretty neat as a character and would probably have been closer to the combo-heavy, stylistic character archetype I'd prefer to be seeing for DLC at this point (not only for the health of the competitive scene, especially in this wifi-only world, but also for character diversity in general for the roster).

- The Banjo & Kazooie amiibo looks phenomenal. I'm biased because I'm a :ultbanjokazooie: main myself, but it also looks genuinely amazing with how they made it. This'll probably my first, and last, amiibo that I think is worth picking up.

Overall, a pretty decent presentation from Sakurai, and his care and meticulous attention to detail when representing characters and their series never ceases to amaze me, even if it's come to be expected at this point. Looking forward to trying Steve/Alex out on 10/13!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Travis has ironically become a ray of hope for me in these dark times.

As I said before, Ubisoft went radio silent a long time ago while Suda only recently changed his statements. As we've seen with Steve here, negotiations for fighters can go on for at least five years. Why would Ubisoft stop rooting for Rayman after getting Altair and Rabbid costumes? And why would they continue to be silent well after the fact? If they just shut up about Smash in general because of unrelated mii costumes then surely they would have gone right back to saying "Rayman for Smash!" afterwards. The continued silence gives credence to them having more content coming up, and the amount of time is way longer than for a simple Mii costume. If Rayman was a costume, why wouldn't he have just been put out with the other Ubisoft costumes? It's suspect.
Rayman is long overdue. Granted between him and Crash (and I think they are competing for a spot), Crash is more popular but Ubisoft has shown a lot more love for Nintendo for generations. Perhaps we will get them both.

The Rayman leak in Smash 4 was a major slap in the face to fans as well. I think Rayman will appear in some form (either as a character or Mii costume).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I imagine the Banjo, Terry and Byleth amiibo would be spaced out during 2021

volbound1700

Smash Master
One thing that I forgot about Steve is that his jump is pathetic. He does have some overhead coverage to mitigate this but he's still going to have problems on every stage with a platform. Kalos Pokémon League in particular.
Not if he can build blocks. I think the blocks will be a better recovery than the up b.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Do we have any evidence for how long it takes to license a mii fighter costume and then finish it in development? Because depending on the answer, I might be thinking to consider almost all mii costume leaks older than 6 months fake if they missed most of the mii costumes in the last two or three packs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh snap

I’m just imagining if we get a Monokuma costume

it’ll be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Monokuma (in US/Canada only of course)

... at least make the monokuma logo look cool dangit grandpa

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh snap

I’m just imagining if we get a Monokuma costume

it’ll be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Monokuma (in US/Canada only of course)

... at least make the monokuma logo look cool dangit grandpa
If Mono isnt white and kuma isnt black with red im rioting

I.D.

Smash Lord
Do we have any evidence for how long it takes to license a mii fighter costume and then finish it in development? Because depending on the answer, I might be thinking to consider almost all mii costume leaks older than 6 months fake if they missed most of the mii costumes in the last two or three packs.
I've heard it's about 5 years

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Since my former prediction list is bunk, I'm gonna put out a new one based on a mix of rumors that isn't baseless, educated guessing... and shameless bias.

FP8: Gordon Freeman
FP9: Rayman
FP10: Ryu Hayabusa or Dante
FP11: Agumon or a Nintendo character advertising an unknown and upcoming Nintendo title.
Prediction time? Sure.

Crash, Crono, Dante, Doomguy, Geno, Gordon, Hayabusa, Lara, Lloyd, Master Chief, Rayman, Scorpion, Sora.

I predict that the remaining Third-Party selection will be among these characters.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Could help in Kalos Pokémon League, but not any of the tri-plats.
All you need is 1 block to relieve yourself and jump more. I think it is going to be HUGE for any stage. Still, it won't be perfect. If you go to far, it won't work.

Steve looks slightly overpowered but he also looks very challenging to master. He has a lot of depth. I think he is a nuclear bomb for the competitive scene. They may end up banning him lol (at least at first).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom