• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Kinda curious. Do you think Alex is an echo given the site has Steve/Alex? Perhaps kinda like a switch between Pokemon Trainer or duo like Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt and Banjo & Kazooie.
It's 3 skins. you can check smashbros.com they have them already.

SKX31

Smash Master
Y'know, I'm going to do a half-about face here. Initial gameplay reaction and my guess as to which archetype Steve will fill (could be wrong here, but still):

Steve is very likely to be focused around stage control, farming and counter-zoning. Steve's normals are likely to be shortranged (as the pickaxe swing shows), but his ability to get blocks and items will define him. (Edit: Though Steve could cook at first. See replies by Slime Master and SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy ). Blocks will likely have some health, so once he's set up, he can buy more time to get that amazing gear and TNT blocks. Normal blocks do have a limited time until they break, as Cutie Gwen noted, but they can still buy time. TNT blocks especially emphasize this, as the mere threat of it can make zoners think twice and have to reposition. Likewise, as SharkLord noted, Steve is likely to have excellent edgeguarding if he gets an advantage first, since he can place the blocks at the edge or even above (depending on how Steve can actually place them) and manipulate opponents into really bad situations.

If one plays against Steve: one will want to deny him any space to farm / build up his stuff or get items as often as possible. Sounds straightforward enough to be obvious, but do you really want to be trapped in a house like the Pichu in the trailer? That's an amazing opportunity for a TNT block. Take up space, identify when to punish Steve (when he's landing from his glide or down-air, make him think it's safe to place blocks etc.) mind games etc.

One of Steve's most likely weaknesses is that he'll struggle against swordies before he can get upgraded gear because he seemingly lacks range to fight back up close. Rushdown characters like Joker might be another problem for him since they might be able to get the drop on Steve before he's properly able to set up shop.

Zoners like K. Rool, Snake and Min Min might struggle against Steve because they want to control space themselves... and that Kannonball's / ARM is not going to do much if it hits one of Steve's bricks. Worst case scenario it'll give Steve even more time to farm.

We don't know his stats (weight, air speed etc.) so I'll hold off still on a full impression. But that's the gist of it.

Not sure if this was posted:

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1311678306463346688?s=20

Verge actually unironically redeemed???
Now that's interesting. Last I heard (IIRC) he was looking into the LoL leak. He hasn't said anything about that since AFAIK.

I'm gonna watch out for that, even if it turns out to be false (which it might).

Also, SKX31 SKX31 , you said Minecraft was huge in China too, yes? Let's both hope it's not the only newcomer that appeals to them, if you catch my drift. ;)
Yes, Minecraft's huge in China, and the claim is 300 million Minecraft accounts there. Chinese reactions to the reveal seem to be decently big (100K+ in under 2 hours) and several commenters noted that Twitter's paralyzed. Another hot topic is that Microsoft got that second character - with one commenter even asking "Political Marriage?" (in reference to Nintendo's and Microsoft's recent partnership).

While the reaction isn't unanimously positive (one Chinese XC2 fan lamented that it's getting not a lot of love, and that was upvoted in the comments) the reaction was still mainly positive.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Kinda curious. Do you think Alex is an echo given the site has Steve/Alex?
No, she shows up as an alternate costume on the website. She's probably listed there for the same reason as Byleth has both the male and female variant up there (their names are different in Japan, so it likely has the same type of deal there).

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
What's this guy's track record? I know Resetera has their whole "leaker verification" thing, but I think results are more important than just a verification from an outside source.
As far as I can remember he's just a dataminer who did stuff for Smash and FighterZ. Needless to say it doesn't matter. Remember when people took Ryce's (the guy who leaked MvCI stuff) statements at face value just because he claimed to "have known everything for months" and became suddenly skeptic from Hero and (funnily enough) Steve? Good times.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No, she shows up as an alternate costume on the website. She's probably listed there for the same reason as Byleth has both the male and female variant up there (their names are different in Japan, so it likely has the same type of deal there).
It's really minecraft that got in, and I'm glad they do list Alex. I hope people don't just call the character Steve at some point :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
happy for you but imma just give up on anyone I want now. No use holding onto dreams that wont come true
Why give up hope? It's ok to accept whatever happens, but having no expectation than having low expectation. No need to save yourself from disappointment, The future is still open.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So Steve getting in brings some positives.

This shows the Pass can have more than one fighter from the same company as the previous pass notably another Square Enix for example so anyone wanting Geno, 2B, or Lara Croft, chances had increased for them.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Likely =/= will be, not to mention Sakurai also stated in the Min Min reveal "there are at least five more." We can play the game of 'what Sakurai said' in circles, but ultimately it's not a direct answer (no pun intended).
By then Sakurai will have worked on nothing but Smash for over 10 years. Plus, we only got season 2 because of the success of base game + season 1. Season 2 was not planned from the start and I really doubt the sales of a single DLC pack would be enough to convince Nintendo and especially Sakurai, who by now is working with a reduced team - from making another one. Even if said pack is based around the world's best selling game.

Could a third DLC season happen? Possibly, but it's unlikely. By then, the game will be, what, 4 years old? It's exceedingly rare for Nintendo to support a title for that long.

Yes, Minecraft's huge in China, and the claim is 300 million Minecraft accounts there. Chinese reactions to the reveal seem to be decently big (100K+ in under 2 hours) and several commenters noted that Twitter's paralyzed. Another hot topic is that Microsoft got that second character - with one commenter even asking "Political Marriage?" (in reference to Nintendo's and Microsoft's recent partnership).

While the reaction isn't unanimously positive (one Chinese XC2 fan lamented that it's getting not a lot of love, and that was upvoted in the comments) the reaction was still mainly positive.
I see. Fingers crossed for another of these "political marriages", then. ;)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is how it feels to finally get my most wanted character in...

I am so ****ing happy. This is the first time I cried in a Smash announcement.
Honestly, that was me both when Squirtle was announced in 07, and when his return was stated for this game. It seemed absolutely impossible, and it was done in such a magical way to actually breathe inside the series.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Man...Inklings, K. Rool, Isabelle, Joker, Hero, Byleth, Min Min, and now Steve? I know I keep saying this, but...What more can I personally really ask from this game?

Not to mention the characters that were already in or brought back by "Everyone is Here!"

This truly is the greatest celebration of video games. I honest to goodness don't think I will ever like a Smash Brothers more than Ultimate, this roster is too good. I can make Steve Minecraft fight pecking Sans Undertale with Mario and Cloud there too on Green Hill Zone. This game is wild, and I am all about it.

SKX31

Smash Master
I would not be surprised if the eating animation was just a taunt.
1:20 in the trailer, where Steve apparantly digs the ground with a cooking tool it seems and an actual food item pops up.

I could be wrong of course, but that's something to keep an eye out come Saturday. If he's able to get food items it'll make farming and stage control even more important for the character.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Somebody probably already mentioned this, but Minecraft started development on 4chan, and today is 4chans birthday. So we did end up getting a reveal tied to an anniversary after all :troll:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not actually disappointed that minecraft is in, they're worth being in smash even if I don't care personally.

What I am disappointed about is that it might take long to know the next character now XD

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Why give up hope? It's ok to accept whatever happens, but having no expectation than having low expectation. No need to save yourself from disappointment, The future is still open.
i doubt any of them will happen at all. my confidence and hopefulness is 100% shot dead

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
By then Sakurai will have worked on nothing but Smash for over 10 years. Plus, we only got season 2 because of the success of base game + season 1. Season 2 was not planned from the start and I really doubt the sales of a single DLC pack would be enough to convince Nintendo and especially Sakurai, who by now is working with a reduced team - from making another one. Even if said pack is based around the world's best selling game.

Could a third DLC season happen? Possibly, but it's unlikely. By then, the game will be, what, 4 years old? It's exceedingly rare for Nintendo to support a title for that long.

I see. Fingers crossed for another of these "political marriages", then. ;)
Hey if they brought back Splatfests for Splatoon 2 after Final Fest... game will also be 4 years old next year

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What I am disappointed about is that it might take long to know the next character now XD
There was no mention of a delay on the future characters though that could be revealed on Saturday.

The reason this one took so long was due to the animation and mechanics of the blocky animation. Early next year is when I suspect we'll get FP8.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm like 99% sure we're getting Monster Hunter and Crash in this pass, with CP11 as a random promotional pick like Byleth and Corrin were. Maybe Impa or a Champion for the BotW sequel/musou or someone from a game that hasn't been announced yet. That leaves 1 slot I think can go any which way. Thoughts?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Plus, we only got season 2 because of the success of base game + season 1. Season 2 was not planned from the start and I really doubt the sales of a single DLC pack would be enough to convince Nintendo and especially Sakurai
I agree with this- but we have 2 characters so far, and likely we were going to span two E3s with these reveals. I imagine we have at least one more reveal at this level-- Sora, Lara Croft, who knows.... and then we still have three other characters.

Plus, it's not just about character sales. It's about promotion, partnership, attachment rate, trying to push sales of the actual game and console. The thing about Steve is, there are likely many people who will buy an entire Switch console AND the game simply to play as Steve now. Minecraft is approaching 200m sales, ten times the sales of Smash, already intensely popular. I cannot wait to see what this does.

That's true. But before the Wii U, it was impossible for us to get DLC. Before Sword and Shield, Pokemon never had DLC. Nintendo cannot be unaware that this one game is perhaps the most profitable conduit of continued DLC, not to mention relevance in the gaming (and even greater pop cultural) zeitgeist.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hold on

I know there was this leak for FPV1 that was proven fake that said Joker, Hero (called “Erdrick” in the leak), Steve, Doomguy and Hayabusa. I wanna look at it again real quick, just to make sure something else also proved it fake. Think it was one of the stages...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There was no mention of a delay on the future characters though that could be revealed on Saturday.

The reason this one took so long was due to the animation and mechanics of the blocky animation. Early next year is when I suspect we'll get FP8.
I mean, it could still be anywhere from november to march to know the next character, That's a long time for someone who doesn't feel personally satisfied with the new character :p

But I'm trying to enjoy back some of the older characters.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Given how we were so obsessed with tying the character to a relevant event ( Monolith's anniversary, Crash 4's release) I'm surprised I was the only one who noticed Minecon.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm like 99% sure we're getting Monster Hunter and Crash in this pass, with CP11 as a random promotional pick like Byleth and Corrin were. Maybe Impa or a Champion for the BotW sequel/musou or someone from a game that hasn't been announced yet. That leaves 1 slot I think can go any which way. Thoughts?
I feel if anything Steve getting in had decreased Crash's chances as I feel we'd only get one more Western rep at most in this pass. Love to be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom