• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think what got to me most about Steve getting into Smash is that for years people either took him as this Cynical pick because "Banjo would never get in" and when Banjo did get in people ignored Steve or the fact people treated the idea of Steve as one big ****post of an idea that would never happen.

Well it happened without sacrificing Banjo and it feels utterly, truly surreal to think we have a game where Mario, Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man, Joker, Bayonetta, etc etc will get their skulls bashed open with a pixelated pickaxe by some blocky miner with a cold, dead stare.

And it's.... something. Steve was on my lower end of most wanted characters but I can let him slide depending on how he plays in the breakdown video soon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hold on

I know there was this leak for FPV1 that was proven fake that said Joker, Hero (called “Erdrick” in the leak), Steve, Doomguy and Hayabusa. I wanna look at it again real quick, just to make sure something else also proved it fake. Think it was one of the stages...
Quite frankly, I think this does help the possibility of Doom Slayer in this pass (as his likeliest fan disconfirmation would have been Master Chief, which now seems incredibly unlikely by even my loose standards).
Bethesda and Koei-Tecmo are big enough that Doomguy and Hayabusa would please me, personally, even if I have little connection (as with Steve).

blackghost

Smash Champion
im not disliking the choice but i really only think theres one way this character can play and i dont think it'll be fun to deal with.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
1:20 in the trailer, where Steve apparantly digs the ground with a cooking tool it seems and an actual food item pops up.

I could be wrong of course, but that's something to keep an eye out come Saturday. If he's able to get food items it'll make farming and stage control even more important for the character.
If you're talking about the part I think you are, he's using a flint and steel to light the ground on fire. the food item was probably spawned via debug tools for flavor. They've made a similar joke in other trailers IIRC.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hey if they brought back Splatfests for Splatoon 2 after Final Fest... game will also be 4 years old next year
True, but I think Splatoon is pretty much the exception to the rule in this case.

That's true. But before the Wii U, it was impossible for us to get DLC. Before Sword and Shield, Pokemon never had DLC. Nintendo cannot be unaware that this one game is perhaps the most profitable conduit of continued DLC, not to mention relevance in the gaming (and even greater pop cultural) zeitgeist.
Aware? They sure are.

Whether they - and Sakurai - want to actually do something about it and turn Ultimate into this almost "live service" thing spanning multiple seasons... that remains to be seen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My most wanted: Neku, Elma, Black Shadow (snowball’s chance in hell for that one), Octoling, KOS-MOS. Still haven’t gotten any of them

look at least give me one of them, especially if it’s Elma, and I won’t ask for anything ever again

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My most wanted: Neku, Elma, Black Shadow (snowball’s chance in hell for that one), Octoling, KOS-MOS. Still haven’t gotten any of them

look at least give me one of them, especially if it’s Elma, and I won’t ask for anything ever again
How would you feel about an echo for Octoling? (In the Chrom/Ken style, even).

Freduardo

Smash Champion
But how many of them use 2 swords? I would'nt want Lloyd's moveset compromised to accomodate 4 characters.
I mean, most use a sword and shield. But from what I remember in Tales of Symphonia, didn't Lloyd use one sword underhanded and usually as a block? That can act a lot like a shield without really compromising anyone. (Unless I'm confusing him with Vyse from Skies of Arcadia... who also used two swords and often seemed to block with one)

I don't know, I feel like getting Cless would be worth the compromise for me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also in regards to old ass games still receiving DLC

you know that, while not Nintendo, friggin Final Fantasy XI GOT A NEW EXPANSION PACK AFTER 5 BLOODY YEARS. this is in a post-XIV era where XIV is undoubtedly the more popular FF MMO

it all comes down to the company’s decision and personally? I think Nintendo is capable of supporting games at least close to the full duration of the Switch’s lifespan now. Almost. Maybe off by one or two years

For one I don’t see Splatoon 3 happening until the Switch’s successor
How would you feel about an echo for Octoling? (In the Chrom/Ken style, even).
Would prefer semi-clone like Lucas or Isabelle, different weapons, maybe a high risk/high reward overall playstyle

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Two things I've noticed about Steve:
  1. The Crafting Table is an actual block. It can be hit, and probably, stood on.
  2. Wolf Up Throwed him, and he dropped a piece of meat. Is this trailer magic, or can Steve actually lose items? Probably the former but...
The crafting table looked to be in the background from what I saw, but I didn't pay full attention to it, just thought huh that's weird when I saw people pass through it.

The meat was probably just added for effect. altho.. hmm i guess it's possible.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What I want to ask is, why about Steve's animations turn people off? He reminds me of Mr. Game and Watch.
To me it's the contrast between its smooth movement and its stiff, unnatural posing. Uncanny valley I guess.

In Smash specifically it also looks hella floaty and lacking in impact when hitting or being hit. Lack of expression really doesn't help in that regard.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think what got to me most about Steve getting into Smash is that for years people either took him as this Cynical pick because "Banjo would never get in" and when Banjo did get in people ignored Steve or the fact people treated the idea of Steve as one big ****post of an idea that would never happen.

Well it happened without sacrificing Banjo and it feels utterly, truly surreal to think we have a game where Mario, Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man, Joker, Bayonetta, etc etc will get their skulls bashed open with a pixelated pickaxe by some blocky miner with a cold, dead stare.

And it's.... something. Steve was on my lower end of most wanted characters but I can let him slide depending on how he plays in the breakdown video soon.
Ironic. We used to think Banjo couldn't get in because of Steve, and then we overlooked Steve in favor of Master Chief. It's almost like we're contractually obligated to get things wrong unless we're told who it is flat-out.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Not sure if anyone shown this yet.

My reaction: "Wait where is he gonna be... No, no, not next to Daisy please n- oh he's in the ground... Makes sense. Well that means the Daisy theory for Shantae is still open."
makes me sad knowing ill never get my wanted characters. Whats the point in happing. imma just give up
Surprisingly, I feel the same, but it's too soon to give up hope with 4 slots available. We just need to hold to hope a little longer.
Well, I'm happy we never got this abomination at least.

View attachment 287800

Shudders
View attachment 287801
Get this evil out of my house!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not going to hate on Steve and congrats to those who wanted him but boy do I feel anti hype. I'm just going to outright pretend this never happened and await the next character
Pretty much, except I still wanna buy the character just because I like interesting mechanics.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I know how you feel, unless you count :ultzelda: getting her ALttP design.
I've been holding out for someone I'm interested in for a very long time too...

Say, weren't you hyped for Joker's inclusion back when he was first announced?
Yeah because i didnt expect him. hes what made me buy the game but now im just holding onto useless dreams

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Layton, sora, ammy, Pheonix. all of which are never going to happen
I think it's very possible we get one of them. I'd hope, personally of those, for
Sora > Layton > Phoenix > Amaterasu

I truly don't think Sora is off of the table, and dont honestly understand why others think he is.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Ironic. We used to think Banjo couldn't get in because of Steve, and then we overlooked Steve in favor of Master Chief. It's almost like we're contractually obligated to get things wrong unless we're told who it is flat-out.
This is why I always keep character possibilities on the table. No one is truly "Too small/niche", too "Out of reach", or "Too impossible for Smash" as long as they're a game character and people are willing to play ball.

This opens up companies who got a character in the first pass to possibly be in the running for the second pass, at least.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
anyway for my ACTUAL thoughts on estebán

as painfully indifferent as i am on him, y'all won't see me complaining. regardless of my own opinion, steve makes total sense

still hoping for a character i can go hoo hoo ha ha monkey mode for, tho. if they add phoenix, sol, kiryu, isaac or whoever imma flip the **** out but for now i'm just stickin' to terry

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The crafting table looked to be in the background from what I saw, but I didn't pay full attention to it, just thought huh that's weird when I saw people pass through it.
Looking at it again, it is in the background, so you probably can't stand on it, but it can be attacked. Whether it's purely for Steve's convenience or if it allows opponents to deny Steve his Crafting Table remains to be seen.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Would prefer semi-clone like Lucas or Isabelle, different weapons, maybe a high risk/high reward overall playstyle
How do you think a semi-clone would be received if part of a regular pass at regular price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom