• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
The next fighter is, "Next Week." They exist as a measure of time rather than a physical character. Their special gimmick is that they will always be slated for release next week, but this leads to them never actually being released; by extension, this mechanic makes them the highest tier character in the game since they can never actually be fought and thus are indefinitely invincible.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, tbh, we have Dark Energy which is accelerating the expansion of the universe faster than the speed of light. So... hm. Makes me wonder if it happened in another region of the universe, if we would be safe? 🤔
Interesting game idea-
If you personally were a spirit in Smash, which character would you be and what would be the requirements?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Why not distract yourself with the electional debates? That's fuunn riight?

I dunno, if it's just 1 more week it doesn't seem that far. I'll maybe be saying diffrently if nothing comes by the end of next friday tho XD
Well, I do not live in the US so it's not my main interest right now. I do know more or less how it's going though.

In any case, I was also joking with my previous post, just exaggerating. While I believe that the radio silence surrounding Smash is almost absurd at this point, I'm playing some games right now (Trails in the Sky Second Chapter and Hades, which recently came out and it's an amazing game that I strongly recommend) so it's not like I'm starving for game news.
But I could totally appreciate knowing what plans Nintendo has for 2021, not gonna lie, because so far the only thing I'm interested for the Switch next year is Shin Megami Tensei V.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
In other news

I guess Jump Rope Challenge is here to stay

It definitely won't mean much for pass 2 assuming it was planned out loooooong before this little game was even conceptualized, but it does mean jump rope rabbit is more than eligible for a pass 3/smash 6 assuming this is now technically an established IP

Wonder if we can get a spirit at the very least

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
In other news

It definitely won't mean much for pass 2 assuming it was planned out loooooong before this little game was even conceptualized, but it does mean jump rope rabbit is more than eligible for a pass 3/smash 6 assuming this is now technically an established IP
Inb4 they do this with Mario 3d All-stars

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In other news

Never mind that, Nintendo decided to take away the limited release.

Hopefully they’ll do the same for 3D All-Stars.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It kinda has to be, considering Nintendo's marketing at the moment.

This is the first time now where we have nothing confirmed to be coming or in need of advertising in the next two weeks, the only thing they could do is shadow drop another game ala Kirby Fighter's 2.
That's not true. They could talk about Bayonetta, Ring Fit Adventure updates, New Pokemon Snap (which seems to be rarely mentioned), Metroid...

it's such a silly notion that we have no other games without an announcement from the past few weeks.

D

Deleted member

In other news

I already have 3D All Stars, but I hope they remove the limit so other people can play 3D All Stars.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Never mind that, Nintendo decided to take away the limited release.

Hopefully they’ll do the same for 3D All-Stars.
Until further notice though, so it's not guaranteed to stay. Hopefully they do do that for mario, and ideally just keep at it until the switch dies :)

Shroob

Sup?
That's not true. They could talk about Bayonetta, Ring Fit Adventure updates, New Pokemon Snap (which seems to be rarely mentioned), Metroid...

it's such a silly notion that we have no other games without an announcement from the past few weeks.
Thing is, we don't know when either Bayo 3, Pokemon Snap or Metroid are coming. Yes, they 100% could shadow drop an announcement for those, but we don't know 'when' that'll happen. I already said "Outside of a shadow drop".

And I never said they hadn't revealed anything. I said that everything that we know of has had its time in the spotlight. We know when Crown Tundra is coming out, we got the Animal Crossing update, we got MH Rise and Hyrule Warriors news, we got Mario Collection and Mario 35 is coming out this week, everything we 'knew' that was coming is either out, or has a set release date currently and has already been marketed.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I already have 3D All Stars, but I hope they remove the limit so other people can play 3D All Stars.
Honestly, they probably won't IMO, mainly 'cause they probably plan on dropping those on NSO at some point.

Don't want people to have a one-time pay alternative to what is the only real highlight of your yearly subscription service. Especially when adding consoles like N64, GCN, and Wii give them an excuse to raise the price.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Thing is, we don't know when either Bayo 3, Pokemon Snap or Metroid are coming. Yes, they 100% could shadow drop an announcement for those, but we don't know 'when' that'll happen. I already said "Outside of a shadow drop".

And I never said they hadn't revealed anything. I said that everything that we know of has had its time in the spotlight. We know when Crown Tundra is coming out, we got the Animal Crossing update, we got MH Rise and Hyrule Warriors news, we got Mario Collection and Mario 35 is coming out this week, everything we 'knew' that was coming is either out, or has a set release date currently and has already been marketed.
A shadow drop is an announcement of an unknown entity--- which, at least of what youre saying, would also include Mario and Hyrule. Unless almost everything is qualified as a shadow drop, then I'm just referring to series'. Either majority of the announcements were shadow dropped, or most couldnt be.
All of the things I mentioned are things we know are coming- information wouldnt be a shadow drop. It would be an update.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
A shadow drop is an announcement of an unknown entity--- which, at least of what youre saying, would also include Mario and Hyrule. Unless almost everything is qualified as a shadow drop, then I'm just referring to series'. Either majority of the announcements were shadow dropped, or most couldnt be.
All of the things I mentioned are things we know are coming- information wouldnt be a shadow drop. It would be an update.
If we got Bayonetta news when no one was expecting it, or without any fanfare to tune in at a certain time for info on it, it's 100% a shadow drop. A shadow drop implies something coming with 0 heads up. Challenger Pack 7 is an update as well by your logic, but if they drop the character without a heads up, that'd 100% be a shadow drop. Hell, go back to Joker's release in April and you'll find dozens of people saying that they shadow dropped him since they didn't announce the presentation in April.

An update can be shadow dropped, it's silly to say it can't, shadow drop only implies "Did they tell us it's coming" and nothing more.

Regardless, my original statement already accounts for a completely random game to be dropped on our heads for news, that's how Kirby Fighter's 2 happened, a game no one saw coming just appeared out of the blue.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If we got Bayonetta news when no one was expecting it, or without any fanfare to tune in at a certain time for info on it, it's 100% a shadow drop. A shadow drop implies something coming with 0 heads up. Challenger Pack 7 is an update as well by your logic, but if they drop the character without a heads up, that'd 100% be a shadow drop. Hell, go back to Joker's release in April and you'll find dozens of people saying that they shadow dropped him since they didn't announce the presentation in April.

An update can be shadow dropped, it's silly to say it can't, shadow drop only implies "Did they tell us it's coming" and nothing more.

Regardless, my original statement already accounts for a completely random game to be dropped on our heads for news, that's how Kirby Fighter's 2 happened, a game no one saw coming just appeared out of the blue.
Alrighty. By that logic, almost everything we've gotten, short of Animal Crossing, the second HW update, and Crown Tundra, was a shadow drop. We certainly had no reason to know Hyrule Warriors, MH:Rise, or Mario 3D were coming. They were shadow drops, and poor examples. Almost all of our updates have been shadow drops by your definition, therefore it's even more likely another announcement could be a 'shadow drop.'

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Alrighty. By that logic, almost everything we've gotten, short of Animal Crossing, was a shadow drop. We certainly had no reason to know Hyrule Warriors, MH:Rise, or Mario 3D were coming. They were shadow drops, and poor examples. Almost all of our updates have been shadow drops by your definition, therefore it's even more likely another announcement could be a 'shadow drop.'
..... I mean, ask anyone here and they'd agree that all of those were all shadow drops.

Like, the only reason we knew Mario Direct was coming was because like 5 notable leakers were screaming at the tops of their lungs it was coming that night and a ton of news sites started reporting on it despite Nintendo giving us 0 heads up.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why are people debating for what is a shadow drop? :p
Here's the definition for your pleasure: " Shadow Drop, also Stealth Drop, are terms used to refer to games and other media that are released the same day they are announced, or released without announcements whatsoever. "

Shroob

Sup?
Why are people debating for what is a shadow drop? :p
Here's the definition for your pleasure: " Shadow Drop, also Stealth Drop, are terms used to refer to games and other media that are released the same day they are announced, or released without announcements whatsoever. "
Yeah, this is kinda silly lol.

Hell, my original point already accounts for "No new news..... aside from another shadow drop", so I have 0 idea why I'm being argued with when my point is super clear.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
..... I mean, ask anyone here and they'd agree that all of those were all shadow drops.
The post before, you literally used all three as examples of non shadow drops.
If they were, then that means majority of our announcements the last month and change have been shadow drops, and thusly, we are statistically more likely to get more shadow drops than we are to get any other information, making Smash even less likely.
Like, the only reason we knew Mario Direct was coming was because like 5 notable leakers were screaming at the tops of their lungs it was coming that night and a ton of news sites started reporting on it despite Nintendo giving us 0 heads up.
I don't think it matters if something was leaked, as far as technicality of this conversation.
Hell, my original point already accounts for "No new news..... aside from another shadow drop", so I have 0 idea why I'm being argued with when my point is super clear.
I didn't bring up the phrase Shadow Drop. I said it is ridiculous to assume Smash 'has to be next,' which was your claim.

Ultimately, your statement initially was that 'the next announcement has to be about Smash,' a commonly stated comment, and that's just flatly not true. Hell, by the next announcement, it will be October and very possibly just a monthly partner update. If we get four more announcements and make it to November- then we know we have more Animal Crossing. Assuming Smash is next is just simply ignoring everything else we know about to some level, or know could come. There are many other options, and saying otherwise is part of the reason people get so restless 'waiting.'

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The post before, you literally used all three as examples of non shadow drops.
If they were, then that means majority of our announcements the last month and change have been shadow drops, and thusly, we are statistically more likely to get more shadow drops than we are to get any other information, making Smash even less likely.

I don't think it matters if something was leaked, as far as technicality of this conversation.

Ultimately, your statement initially was that 'the next announcement has to be about Smash,' a commonly stated comment, and that's just flatly not true. Hell, by the next announcement, it will be October and very possibly just a monthly partner update. If we get four more announcements and make it to November- then we know we have more Animal Crossing. Assuming Smash is next is just simply ignoring everything else we know about to some level, or know could come. There are many other options, and saying otherwise is part of the reason people get so restless 'waiting.'
1601433008619.png

Where here did I say that the next announcement 'has' to be Smash?

If you mean the first post, that's in regards to the "And the next week" ideology as to why it's actually okay for once to say "Next week for sure", that has nothing to do with Smash 100% being next.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dont see how getting shadow drops or not affects getting smash news if they feel it's time to announce the dlc character :p When it's released though, that I wouldn't know. (like, they might want to time it when people are bored)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
View attachment 287332

Where here did I say that the next announcement 'has' to be Smash?

If you mean the first post, that's in regards to the "And the next week" ideology as to why it's actually okay for once to say "Next week for sure", that has nothing to do with Smash 100% being next.
This is what you said

It kinda has to be [next week], considering Nintendo's marketing at the moment.

This is the first time now where we have nothing confirmed to be coming or in need of advertising in the next two weeks, the only thing they could do is shadow drop another game ala Kirby Fighter's 2.
I added the next week because that's what you responded to.
Someone said 'I think its next week.'
You said, 'It kinda has to be.'

This is what started our conversation. And I brought it up because you are by far not the only person I've seen say we have to get a Smash announcement next.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Shroob Shroob were you basically saying that since there's no perceivable announcements coming up, the slate is 'free' for there to be a smash announcement?
And then 'unless there's a shadow drop' I guess is what you're debating about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom