• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think SwSh are incredible Pokémon games, but I do think they're improvements over the previous two 3D Pokémon games. Probably won't be receiving an award any time soon, but not the worst titles in the series either. They're standard Pokémon games.

That being said, I rarely talk about the games on SmashBoards anymore because it feels like most people aren't interested in discussing them unless it's to point out flaws and explain why SwSh is so terrible.

I'm sure Pokémon fans will be nicer to Gen 8 once a few more Gens pass and the flaws are carried into other games, but I wish more people would remember that there's some people who genuinely like SwSh (or at the very least don't hate it). The current atmosphere makes it almost impossible to have a casual conversation about Gen 8 without someone using it as an opportunity to vent.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think SwSh are incredible Pokémon games, but I do think they're improvements over the previous two 3D Pokémon games. Probably won't be receiving an award any time soon, but not the worst titles in the series either. They're standard Pokémon games.

That being said, I rarely talk about the games on SmashBoards anymore because it feels like most people aren't interested in discussing them unless it's to point out flaws and explain why SwSh is so terrible.

I'm sure Pokémon fans will be nicer to Gen 8 once a few more Gens pass and the flaws are carried into other games, but I wish more people would remember that there's some people who genuinely like SwSh (or at the very least don't hate it). The current atmosphere makes it almost impossible to have a casual conversation about Gen 8 without someone using it as an opportunity to vent.
.....wouldn't that do the exact opposite? That'd show a lack of willingness to improve and sheer stubbornness on GF's part(And a lack of care).

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I personally didn't mind Gen 8. The Wild Areas are cool, are the gyms are some of the best in the series. I only really have minor nitpicks which end up being trivial and do not affect gameplay in the slightest, such as how the graphics are a glorified 3DS game...

Other than that, the games are great. My only question is:
Why bring back every legendary? They immediately lose any value they had. Some legendaries haven't been obtainable for years. For completing the Pokedex, part of the fun for me was finding people willing to trade their legendaries by working hard and obtaining cool Pokemon in return, not being handed them...

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh I knew the reference. I was pretty sure the second sacking was followed by pretty much just moose before the actual movie starts.
Yeah, it's more moose credits, followed by "they've been sacked" a final time, followed by the Llama credits. Then the actual movie starts.

Mind if I say that that's a - polished - trailer there?

EmpLaugh.png

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I personally didn't mind Gen 8. The Wild Areas are cool, are the gyms are some of the best in the series. I only really have minor nitpicks which end up being trivial and do not affect gameplay in the slightest, such as how the graphics are a glorified 3DS game...

Other than that, the games are great. My only question is:
Why bring back every legendary? They immediately lose any value they had. Some legendaries haven't been obtainable for years. For completing the Pokedex, part of the fun for me was finding people willing to trade their legendaries by working hard and obtaining cool Pokemon in return, not being handed them...
They've done that every gen now since 6, in ORAS and in USUM. I don't know why you're complaining about it now.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't want to start a huge debate or war here, but if your argument to defend Sword shield is "the games flaws will most likely be still there in the future so it's not a big deal", well I'm sorry to say but that doesn't make Sword shiels less terrible, it just make the whole franchise even more terrible.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Well, sorry to go on a rant. I don't hate Pokémon Sword & Shield, I actually had a lot of fun with the game. They're very much not the best the series has to offer, and they're also not the worst (that probably goes to Gen 1 & 2 due to the lack of all of the quality of life improvements), they're simply mediocre ones. That's just it though, I had so much fun with the mediocre games in the series, so I can only just imagine how much I would love an actually amazing one. It could easily top the list of my favorite games, period. And that's no mean feat with Xenoblade Chronicles, Mother 3, and Ōkami also being up there.

There's just so much potential for greatness there, and I just can't wait to see it fulfilled. Hopefully that's a bit less of a depressing take for you.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The biggest change Pokemon's ever had from a mechanics standpoint, not counting gimmicks like Z-moves, Mega evolutions, triple/rotation battles etc

Was 15 years ago when the Physical/Special split happened back in Gen 4. Aside from new Pokemon and the aforementioned gimmicks, Gen 4 was the last time Pokemon felt 'unique' to me, because it introduced a monumentally huge change to how the gameplay functioned.

After that, Pokemon has been stagnant.

Change my mind.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

The biggest change Pokemon's ever had from a mechanics standpoint, not counting gimmicks like Z-moves, Mega evolutions, triple/rotation battles etc

Was 15 years ago when the Physical/Special split happened back in Gen 4. Aside from new Pokemon and the aforementioned gimmicks, Gen 4 was the last time Pokemon felt 'unique' to me, because it introduced a monumentally huge change to how the gameplay functioned.
Z-moves, Mega Evolutions, and Dynamaxing are just cheap ways to win a battle, even if you're playing online against a skilled opinion at times.

What I want to see from Pokemon is something that takes the series in a whole new direction as opposed to your typical "collect the 8 gym badges and unlock a new gimmick." That happened in Sun and Moon, but it wasn't really expanded upon.

D

Deleted member

Change my mind.
No, don't wanna.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Z-moves, Mega Evolutions, and Dynamaxing are just cheap ways to win a battle, even if you're playing online against a skilled opinion at times.

What I want to see from Pokemon is something that takes the series in a whole new direction as opposed to your typical "collect the 8 gym badges and unlock a new gimmick." That happened in Sun and Moon, but it wasn't really expanded upon.
Sun and Moon still had that formula, it's just that the "gyms" were different activities and then a fight against a slightly stronger version of a Pokemon before you got your new gimmick crystal.

TheBeastHimself

They've done that every gen now since 6, in ORAS and in USUM. I don't know why you're complaining about it now.
You were able to get every single previous legendary in X and Y? As in, the game allows you to obtain them outside of trading? That, I did not know, and I played X and Y lol. I haven't played ORAS though.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

kylexv

Smash Master
Seeing the state of the Pokemon franchise just depresses me. I've been growing up loving the games, but now everything the Pokemon Company does seems to be only in the interest of money. They barely try anymore, and Gen 8 is where that is the most apparent. There's good ideas there (like most games), but most of what it tries to do falls flat or is uninspired.

Pokemon is in a very similar position to Disney right now. They've made so much bank as of recent (Gen 8 is the best selling generation since Gen 2, and both the TCG and GO have been making more profits during the pandemic) that they stop trying because they know they'll make loads of money regardless.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Only criticism I have on the game is that the Wild Area should’ve just been expanded and encapsulated the entire game. As it stands the Wild Area is the most interesting part of the game but feels a bit undercooked because of it being so limited. Isle of Armor is exceptional for that very reason and I feel like since they’ve gotten the basics of what an open world Pokémon game can be then it can really benefit later games.

SwSh isn’t really bad as a game but it could’ve been better had they taken the risk and went all in with the open world aspect like they did with the Wild Area and the Isle of Armor. When games like BOTW and Odyssey are taking BIG risks in leaps in their respective franchises, it’s tough to see Pokémon tip toe in so slowly. And then only allowing follow Pokémon in Isle of Armor when that’s been a very popular inclusion since Yellow is a bit bizarre.

The main thing that everyone really ya a problem with when it comes to SwSh is its very strange business practices. Future proofing with HD models and then cuts most of the Dex anyways is kinda sketchy. Especially since hackers have since found that those models are in fact the same ones that were future proofed. Coming in and saying they were focusing on animations with how rough the animations are in that game is sketchy too. Balance I can understand but not animations. Basically PR was BAD for this game. If TPC would’ve let Game Freak be like “hey, we just didn’t have enough time to put all the Pokémon in at once but we’ll add them later” then the game wouldn’t be near as divisive as it is. It mostly boils down to the whole game having sucky PR. The graphics is another horse but that’s mostly nitpicking the TREES when a majority of the game is, indeed, very beautiful.

Shroob

Sup?
Only criticism I have on the game is that the Wild Area should’ve just been expanded and encapsulated the entire game. As it stands the Wild Area is the most interesting part of the game but feels a bit undercooked because of it being so limited. Isle of Armor is exceptional for that very reason and I feel like since they’ve gotten the basics of what an open world Pokémon game can be then it can really benefit later games.

SwSh isn’t really bad as a game but it could’ve been better had they taken the risk and went all in with the open world aspect like they did with the Wild Area and the Isle of Armor. When games like BOTW and Odyssey are taking BIG risks in leaps in their respective franchises, it’s tough to see Pokémon tip toe in so slowly. And then only allowing follow Pokémon in Isle of Armor when that’s been a very popular inclusion since Yellow is a bit bizarre.

The main thing that everyone really ya a problem with when it comes to SwSh is its very strange business practices. Future proofing with HD models and then cuts most of the Dex anyways is kinda sketchy. Especially since hackers have since found that those models are in fact the same ones that were future proofed. Coming in and saying they were focusing on animations with how rough the animations are in that game is sketchy too. Balance I can understand but not animations. Basically PR was BAD for this game. If TPC would’ve let Game Freak be like “hey, we just didn’t have enough time to put all the Pokémon in at once but we’ll add them later” then the game wouldn’t be near as divisive as it is. It mostly boils down to the whole game having sucky PR. The graphics is another horse but that’s mostly nitpicking the TREES when a majority of the game is, indeed, very beautiful.
I still laugh that they use "Balance" as a reason.

Cause like

We now have every pseudo and almost every legendary back, and it wasn't like **** like Dynamaxing wasn't broken as ****.

Gen 8's about as balanced as a house of cards moving atop a bus going 100mph.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
.....wouldn't that do the exact opposite? That'd show a lack of willingness to improve and sheer stubbornness on GF's part(And a lack of care).
Well, not everyone has that mission in their heart. Some people are fine with SwSh and genuinely want to have casual conversations with others.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if we could reach a point where people could start a normal conversation about their SwSh team without someone changing the topic to Game Freak's ethics, the crappy visuals, etc.

I don't want to start a huge debate or war here, but if your argument to defend Sword shield is "the games flaws will most likely be still there in the future so it's not a big deal", well I'm sorry to say but that doesn't make Sword shiels less terrible, it just make the whole franchise even more terrible.
The point of my post wasn't even to discuss the quality of SwSh. If I didn't know any better, I'd gladly ask this thread which Legendary or Mythical Pokémon they're most excited to see return. I know it likely wouldn't play out like I would want it to though, and I'm sure one of the first few responses would be something similar to a passive-aggressive, "You mean the Pokémon that should've been available in the base game? Yeah, REALLY excited about finally getting them. :)"

People are free to criticize, but it'd be great if we could have one casual, normal conversation about SwSh that doesn't involve Game Freak's ethics.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Change my mind.
Weather in Gen 5 was pretty big in the competitive scene due to weather lasting forever and certain new Pokemon gained weather abilities such as Politoed. It changed the game a whole lot, I'd argue more than Mega's did.

That said, casually that likely wouldn't affect anything.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hot take: Pokémon doesn't need a huge mechanical shake up or a completely different structure. It just needs to give players a reason to explore its depth (which does exist, ask a competitive player), and a new way to experience the formula.

The graphics is another horse but that’s mostly nitpicking the TREES when a majority of the game is, indeed, very beautiful.
The biggest issue with the graphics are the aggressive pop-in. After that it's just poor optimization forcing the Wild Area to look ugly. Looks like they've solved that problem though.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, not everyone has that mission in their heart. Some people are fine with SwSh and genuinely want to have casual conversations with others.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if we could reach a point where people could start a normal conversation about their SwSh team without someone changing the topic to Game Freak's ethics, the crappy visuals, etc.

The point of my post wasn't even to discuss the quality of SwSh. If I didn't know any better, I'd gladly ask this thread which Legendary or Mythical Pokémon they're most excited to see return. I know it likely wouldn't play out like I would want it to though, and I'm sure one of the first few responses would be something similar to a passive-aggressive, "You mean the Pokémon that should've been available in the base game? Yeah, REALLY excited about finally getting them. :)"

People are free to criticize, but it'd be great if we could have one casual, normal conversation about SwSh that doesn't involve Game Freak's ethics.
I mean, that'd be great and all, but it's just going to get worse from here on out if they show a lack of willingness to put any effort in.

People harp on EA, Activision, Blizzard, and all of that's justified to various degrees, Gamefreak's going to find itself on the pyre sooner than later.

Staarih

Smash Master

Change my mind.
I'd argue adding the Fairy type in Gen 6 also shook things up a bit, but the games themselves weren't the best and they also introduced the "one per gen" gimmicks which GF seems to prefer these days with Mega's, Z-moves and Dynamax like you said. I feel like the focus of GF is a bit off, which is why recent games feel underdeveloped: we get cool new stuff, but with the expense of losing something which worked well in the past. Instead of building and learning from previous games, each game feels like starts from scratch with the basics intact. I dunno, could be a result of different teams working on different things I guess, which is another point to the feeling of underdeveloped games: schedule. GF seems to want to push out a game very frequently so sometimes things feel rushed, as schedule may go ahead of quality.

I dunno, we can't really do much but take what we get and decide if we like them or not haha. I personally really like Sw/Sh but they do have flaws, sure.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I still laugh that they use "Balance" as a reason.

Cause like

We now have every pseudo and almost every legendary back, and it wasn't like ** like Dynamaxing wasn't broken as **.

Gen 8's about as balanced as a house of cards moving atop a bus going 100mph.
Even putting aside Dynamax and DLC you still got **** like Gorilla Tactics Choice Item Darmanitan.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't mind that a lot of people don't like Sword and Shield. I totally see where they're coming from.

What does bother me is how many of the game's detractors act like it's impossible that Gamefreak might actually be considering the extreme backlash those games got when designing the Gen 9 games. All that cynicism over a silly video game gets exhausting and it makes me dread any discussion about one of my favorite franchises.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I'm assuming that rumor that predicted a Crown Tundra presentation(even it was a safe prediction) is fake because of the lack of anything Johto related?

Shroob

Sup?
I don't mind that a lot of people don't like Sword and Shield. I totally see where they're coming from.

What does bother me is how many of the game's detractors act like it's impossible that Gamefreak might actually be considering the extreme backlash those games got when designing the Gen 9 games. All that cynicism over a silly video game gets exhausting and it makes me dread any discussion about one of my favorite franchises.
Because the detractors are a small part of the fanbase. The game is the best selling game in the series since Gen2. What reason does Gamefreak have to improve when they see Sword/Shield's sales?

That's the issue. The people who are unhappy are a small part of the general Pokemon fanbase, we pretty much know our voice won't be heard, and even if it does get heard, again, look at the sales. Sword/Shield were enormous successes.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Believe me, I have a lot of similar nitpicks. I just think people tend to exaggerate how bad the quality of SwSh is. I understand that people are wanting change, but the fact that it's been almost a year since Gen 8 started and it's STILL a pretty touchy subject is a little depressing, especially if you're someone who's wanting to ask something as simple as, "Hey, is there anything from Crown Tundra you're excited for?"

Again, SwSh aren't my favorite Pokémon games, but I can comfortably say that there a few Gens that I liked way less than Gen 8. I had fun with SwSh, and I'd imagine there's gotta be someone out there who feels the same.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, we doing Sword and Shield hot takes now? Alright, here's my two cents.
The games as a whole are just really mediocre, and feel like a culmination of every negative trend that has been apparent in the franchise since X and Y. The experience share system has once again been brought back, and this time, they removed the option to turn it off. The online system is yet another step down from Generation 6's excellent PSS, after the system in Generation 7 was already bad. Mega Evolutions may have had a bit of a focus on Generation 1 Pokémon, but there were still plenty of ones from Generations 2 to 4. . . and Generation 5 got screwed over, as did 6. But with Gigantimax Forms, they are only for Pokémon from Generation 1 and 8 (and Garbodor). And honestly, Gigantimax forms are just really boring - literally the only thing they change about a Pokémon in comparison to regular Dynamaxing is one move. And they don't even use the added power of the Switch to bring back Triple and Rotation battles, after Generation 7 axed them (presumably) due to hardware constraints.
Those are just some of the things that come to mind.

Thing is, Gamefreak has been getting a good amount of these criticisms for years, and they've never adressed them. So why would Generation 9 be any different?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing before I go: If nothing else, I would love to see the Gym Leaders or their equivalents become rematch-able at their original power. I would love to be able (at least pretend) to play through the game again with a different team, but I don't want to delete all the Pokémon I've bonded with throughout it.

kylexv

Smash Master
Believe me, I have a lot of similar nitpicks. I just think people tend to exaggerate how bad the quality of SwSh is.
Case in point: I saw somebody on Twitter say that Sword and Shield looks worse than a 64 game.
I mean yes, the tree that every likes to point at looks like it came out of Ocarina of Time, but that is probably the worst looking thing in this game (other than the pop-in. And besides, I'm playing Mario 64 right now and that game has worse draw distance). Take one look at one of the Pokemon models in this game and tell me that could be rendered on a 64.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I figured we all moved onto the Pokemon discussion from Tracer. I tried to checked to see if people responed to my past couple of posts. Is there a way to check if someone quoted you in this thread?

Also MIC CHECK. CHECK. CHECK. HELLO

Just want to know if people can see my posts. I start getting paranoid like everyone is blocking me.

Shroob

Sup?
At the end of the day, Pokemon is a series I still love, how can I not, it's a series I've grown up with since I was a kid, hell, I still remember getting my first Gameboy and Pokemon Red copy as clear as day, and I was playing a Pokemon game the day my sister was born, to me, Pokemon's a special franchise.

But around the time of USUM coming out, I just said "No more". I saw that, in my opinion, that USUM were just bad games, and ruined something that I loved about the original SM, being the plot. Gen 8 only drove that dagger deeper into my heart. I wanted to get soo excited over it, I wanted to be there playing a new gen Pokemon game on the Switch, but it was just one thing after another, and now it's literally impossible to see SwSd for anything but its massive, glaring flaws.

I'll never stop loving Pokemon, but I criticize it because I love it. I hate the direction that the series has gone, and hey, at the end of the day, my dollar doesn't mean anything to Gamefreak, the games are still going to sell, so one guy not buying the games isn't going to hurt them at all.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
My thoughts are this:

I enjoyed SwSh. I thought they were good games, heck, they're my favorite Pokemon games simply for the QoL that was introduced. I love the soundtrack, I thought the game looked pretty okay, and the gameplay was just a good 'ol fashioned Pokemon time, and that's all I personally was really looking for. There are things I take issue with: How the online was handled, the really dumb way the GTS works and the lack of any compelling story just to name a few. However, all in all, the missteps weren't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of the game.

However, for those who did not enjoy it? That's cool. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not gonna sit here and lecture anyone on "You shouldn't like this game!" or "How dare you not like this game!", because at the end of the day, it's a pointless argument that will just keep going 'round and 'round and 'round like it has since the Pokedex cull got announced last year in June. A never ending cycle of venom being spewed at people on both sides of an argument over a video game isn't my idea of fun conversation personally, which is why I rarely talk about Pokemon on the internet anymore.

Basically, just respect one another's opinion, agree to disagree, and keep it in perspective it's just a game. :dr^_^:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom