• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, if the leak is real..

One more time...

IF the leak is real,

then we're looking at a 'New Franchise', 'Popular in the West', 'Nobody is Expecting'.

Travis Touchdown, Doom Guy, Geno, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, and Dante have all been considered endlessly, so IF the leak is true, then it won't be any of those guys.
People are expecting Master Chief? I was expecting you to say Steve or something, because he fits this bill if you're excluding him.

D

Deleted member

People are expecting Master Chief? I was expecting you to say Steve or something, because he fits this bill if you're excluding him.
Going back in to add 'Steve' because you're right lol. Maybe not so much Master Chief? Maybe that one was really only considered here on Smash Boards? I'll replace him with Steve. Steve was being debated back before we even knew who DLC fighter 3 was. Guess the Chief is somewhat more recent a discussion.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Going back in to add 'Steve' because you're right lol. Maybe not so much Master Chief? Maybe that one was really only considered here on Smash Boards? I'll replace him with Steve. Steve was being debated back before we even knew who DLC fighter 3 was. Guess the Chief is somewhat more recent a discussion.
Or it could be Jonesy from Fortnite. :drshrug: Just saying.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Xenosaga is not what anybody would call popular; let alone in the west (the series wouldn't have died if it was 'Popular' in an entire region) so that's likely a 'nope' to KOS-MOS (plus she's arguably the same franchise as Shulk).

Rex/Pyra & Elma haven't really been talked too much about outside Smashboards (or too much at all as of late), but they are within the 'Xeno' series universe, so its kind of a toss up whether they can be considered possible for this particular fighter or not.
How is KOS-MOS arguably the same franchise as Shulk but Rex and Elma only a toss up

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Leave it to TPC and Pokemon to be the best heels they can ever be towards the Smash fandom :bowsette:

Jokes aside there should be nothing holding a Smash reveal back now that the Pokemon DLC is finally out of the way. Like, we know the fighter is already done thanks to the name data gap from the photo contest. I'd be surprised if we don't get Smash at all in these two weeks, the tournament is done, there are no more DLC updates of other games that are waiting to be revealed. At this point there is no other reason to continue prolonging FP7 unless there's another game they wish to shadow drop.

I agree with the notion that they're stretching it right now, we only know one character after nine months of development and said character released about 3 months ago. Part of me hopes on them doing a double reveal, but it's extremely unlikely. FP7 very well may be our last fighter for this year.
If the character is done, what if it's because Nintendo's marketing team possibly knows something we don't? Maybe the next character somewhat coincides with some specific announcement from either a 1st or 3rd party company. Either something we recently just got more info on or some other series coming to the Switch?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I wont lie sometimes i crack up at smash discussion cause people will be like "geno, dixie, waluigi, waddle dee and co are all all stars" then scoff at the idea of chars like Dante, Axel, Nightmare, Terry, Doomguy or Hayabusa getting in

Like its just funny tbh. Nothing wrong with wanting them obv but from an outsiders perspective its p quirky
It would be more funny if I actually saw enough instances of such irony, yet all I really see are people poking fun at certain fans just because they support "lesser" characters and not mind-blowing ones.

Maybe I just need to look around more, though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wont lie sometimes i crack up at smash discussion cause people will be like "geno, dixie, waluigi, waddle dee and co are all all stars" then scoff at the idea of chars like Dante, Axel, Nightmare, Terry, Doomguy or Hayabusa getting in

Like its just funny tbh. Nothing wrong with wanting them obv but from an outsiders perspective its p quirky
I mean, the reverse happens almost daily here.

Not sure where there's room to complain.

D

Deleted member

How is KOS-MOS arguably the same franchise as Shulk but Rex and Elma only a toss up
It was combined for KOS-MOS; arguably the same series + not considered popular since the Xenosaga series died on the PS2.
Rex/Pyra & Elma are toss-up because their respective series has been popular and well received, but they are in the same series as Shulk, so I'm not entirely sure for them.

Shroob

Sup?
If the character is done, what if it's because Nintendo's marketing team possibly knows something we don't? Maybe the next character somewhat coincides with some specific announcement from either a 1st or 3rd party company. Either something we recently just got more info on or some other series coming to the Switch?
The question is, what then?

We just got a partner showcase, and after this Crown Tundra news, we don't know anything else they have in the pipeline aside from Pikmin3 HD on October 30th.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Dovahkiin seems like a pretty decent guess, maybe even Gordon, but I'd argue they're still decently talked about, if we take this "leak" at face value,

How about Grand Theft Auto?

I know, I know, please hear me out on this one. This is a series with two particular games I personally love for all the effort, love, and quality put into them, like Smash Bros. As such, I felt compelled to get more people thinking about this inclusion by wasting my time on a full presentation with essentially all the content that could be added just to get a few people either thinking about the idea or maybe even supporting it. Hopefully you go through the ideas and let me know your thoughts, (even if you despise everything about it.) Have a nice day! Thanks for giving this post any of your time.

The looks and style are all captured in the presentations so I hope some of you get a kick out of that.

Here is an Imgur link with both GTA V and San Andreas Concepts and pitch presented fully.

Here is a google drive link to the PowerPoint presentations. You can do anything you want with them. Use them to your hearts content.

First Section is Grand Theft Auto V with Michael having Franklin and Trevor as echos: An unlikely but best case scenario for representing GTAV but all three of them could be the standalone fighter. Michael is mainly first because he was created first, you control him first in GTAV and he's always put first when Rockstar orders them but Franklin is my personal pick for a standalone fighter and Trevor is the fan favorite and the one who made the biggest splash so it could be any of them. It is what it is, but the other characters could be part of two Special Ability inspired Final Smashes.

Second Section is what if CJ from San Andreas was the only GTA fighter: Not as likely as V but the main community and meme love he has in the west shouldn't be underestimated. Franklin could also be an echo fighter with some slight changes. I designed CJ to be from his endgame appearance so he's more skilled with weapons and has a more similar body build to Franklin instead of being as skinny.

I felt the best way to go about representation is to make one game specifically take center stage like how Persona 5 and Final Fantasy VII did since they all have enough uniqueness to them like Fire Emblem characters. The series is to broad and expansive to represent all of them equally well and GTA V fits mainly well as the Ultimate GTA bringing all the big elements people love back in one way or another to an extent. The other games and characters like Tommy from Vice City will mostly get music, spirits, costumes, and stage cameos. In the end, I'll still be glad with any Rockstar Games anti-hero being represented.

As a certain gunslinger would say, I implore you to read through and think about this.

Why did I do this? I guess it was the potential.

Sources:

Grand Theft Auto Clones Wikipedia article

Free GTAV crashes the Epic Games store

GTAV World Records

GTAV breaks sales records in Japan shattering the records from Vice City

GTAV alone has sold over 130 million copies

Sakurai takes his hat off for Red Dead Redemption 2

Wikipedia: Grand Theft Auto V list of accolades

GTAV Metacritic

GTASA Metacritic

Dan Houser and Reggie talk about each others' companies respectfully

LA Noire coming to Nintendo Switch with the next generation versions

GTA Chinatown Wars at Nintendo's 2008 E3

TakeTwo says Switch games have been successful

Microsoft and Nintendo relationship

If you take anything from this, please check out the music, A lot of it is great.
V Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tOGflDc6nspnc3whGu6NOnXgsfkV3T5
SA Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tOGflDc6ntGwA9SiEcjWAul4ozJOSiw

If you take anything else from this or maybe don't even like this idea, inclusion, or moveset. I hope you at least see it as a way to realize how the character you personally want may be more likely than you expect from taking a look at these once impossible crossovers. I'd personally be almost has happy to see one of them just be a Mii costume or some of them to be spirits in this amazing gaming celebration.
cj to me is in the same boat as gex where i think their inclusion would just be ****ing hilarious

not even in a "haha smash fans would be so salty" way. he's just legit a really funny choice

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, for Smash purposes, retro isn't gauged by the first appearance, it's gauged by the last appearance.

Otherwise over half the roster would be "retro reps". And in a way they are retro characters, because they existed then, but that's not what's meant by it.

So Golden Sun the game is retro (though probably not as Smash/Sakurai sees it), but Isaac the character appeared in-series a decade ago. So I'm not sure if the character counts as retro.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So Golden Sun the game is retro (though probably not as Smash/Sakurai sees it), but Isaac the character appeared in-series a decade ago. So I'm not sure if the character counts as retro.
People were trying to say K. Rool was pre-reveal because his last appearance was in the ****ing baseball game exactly ten years prior.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It was combined for KOS-MOS; arguably the same series + not considered popular since the Xenosaga series died on the PS2.
Rex/Pyra & Elma are toss-up because their respective series has been popular and well received, but they are in the same series as Shulk, so I'm not entirely sure for them.
Ah. Well for the parameters of that leak (if we're humouring it), Rex and Elma would definitely be out. They're not from a new series.

KOS-MOS would be too, as western popularity isn't really her thing, but I doubt she'd be considered within the same series as Shulk. Smash treats Xenoblade as its own series which began in 2010.

People were trying to say K. Rool was pre-reveal because his last appearance was in the ****ing baseball game exactly ten years prior.
Gaming in general and Smash have pretty distinct opinions of what retro actually is. I agree with general gaming, because the line for retro clearly shifts with time, but Sakurai seems to cut "retro" off at the Game Boy. Maybe the SNES. And we have to play by his rules when he chooses the characters.

So K. Rool definitely wouldn't fit.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’m kinda sad that the Out of Context Caddicarus clip I posted here yesterday didn’t get nearly enough reactions, since I hid it pretty well.

Like, imagine falling for a post that feigns legitimate shock with his troll clip and the best reaction is “oh hey it’s LEGO Caddy”.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
cj to me is in the same boat as gex where i think their inclusion would just be ****ing hilarious

not even in a "haha smash fans would be so salty" way. he's just legit a really funny choice
Yeah, I can totally see the comedy. Just this random realistic criminal showing up to beat up Ridley. The meme history of GTA helps too. I will say if GTA doesn't get in as fighter, Big Smoke would probably be the best choice as a Mii Costume.

Also now I'm thinking about Gex and CJ having a shootout...

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I’m kinda sad that the Out of Context Caddicarus clip I posted here yesterday didn’t get nearly enough reactions, since I hid it pretty well.

Like, imagine falling for a post that feigns legitimate shock with his troll clip and the best reaction is “oh hey it’s LEGO Caddy”.
This post gives me ShinyLegendary vibes. And if you wanted more reactions, why didn't you post it in the social thread?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Remember kids, if you like a character I don’t like, **** you!

EDIT: This isn’t a direct response to anybody, I just feel like it’s applicable to Smash speculation 99.9% of the time.
i'm glad that we're all at least in agreement that dunkaccino would be the ideal smash addition

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I've been on a Ys craze lately. Ys VIII was the fastest I've gone from interest piqued to a purchase, and it's payed off wonderfully. Asking about Falcom a week or two ago was the best decision I've made on this site thus far.

On a kind of related note, I just bought Yakuza 0 because of the talk about Kiryu in smash in this thread. He sound like a fun character and I wanted to give his game a try. I'm super excited to jump into it when I will have a bit more time.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I've been on a Ys craze lately. Ys VIII was the fastest I've gone from interest piqued to a purchase, and it's payed off wonderfully. Asking about Falcom a week or two ago was the best decision I've made on this site thus far.
Ys VIII Is my favorite Ys the soundtrack and gameplay are Chef's kiss

After you beat it and If you have a PC I would recommend Trails In The Sky (My Favorite Falcom Series), Ys Origin and Ys Oath In Felghana (those 2 are tied with being the best Classic Ys game) and all of those games are fantastic

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ys VIII surely has my interest. Gameplay wise looked fun. My plan is to play VIII or maybe a previous Ys entry, after I finish with the Trails in the Sky trilogy.

I have heard some tracks and I loved the music, like this one, which I'm almost obsessed with.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This confirms Unpainted Inkling Boy for FP7.
I thought the figure of Scorbunny was of Blossom so I was gonna say Power Puff Girls confirmed. lol

Ya' know, I wouldn't hate Scorbunny. It may be another starter, but at least it's cute. It's idle animation would be fun too, unlike Cinderace who just stands there like the generic anime protagonist design that it is.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I thought the figure of Scorbunny was of Blossom so I was gonna say Power Puff Girls confirmed. lol

Ya' know, I wouldn't hate Scorbunny. It may be another starter, but at least it's cute. It's idle animation would be fun too, unlike Cinderace who just stands there like the generic anime protagonist design that it is.
Tfw u actually remember some dude on Miiverse wanted the Powerpuff Girls in...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
On a kind of related note, I just bought Yakuza 0 because of the talk about Kiryu in smash in this thread. He sound like a fun character and I wanted to give his game a try. I'm super excited to jump into it when I will have a bit more time.
Enjoy it. It's a phenomenal game with tons of content (just like most of the series).
I'd say though, try to not rush the game. The story is great, but the side content of the game is really worth it. Not saying you should 100% the game and complete absolutely everything but I'd definitely dive into the substories at least.

The music is great, combat is really fun and with quite a depth when you start unlocking abilities (and there are some things related to combat that are only unlocked when you complete certain side content), multiple activities... In my opinion, truly one of the best games of the generation, sharing the title of best game in the series with Yakuza 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom