• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only thing I have to say about Dixie Kong is that she would definitely work as a Diddy echo and would've been one if she were truly to be in this game.

I also get yelled up the ass for saying it but it proved my point countless times. :mybodyisreggie:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
We're talking about nintendo all-stars that still aren't playable so I'm legally obligated to mention Toad. People always seem to leave him out of these discussions for some reason.
I'd love him as much as Waluigi as a fighter but I think he's mainly left behind because there's not only a split between both The Toad and Captain Toad support but he's stuck in Peach's questionable moveset.

kylexv

Smash Master
I would say that us getting Pokemon DLC news last week or this week was an easy guess.
Wouldn't the same logic we used for thinking a Smash reveal was this week also apply to Pokemon? I mean, it was in the ad too.

On the other hand, Pokemon also likes to do their own thing, so a Smash reveal this week isn't out of the question.

Shroob

Sup?
I'll definitely keep an open mind for this week, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking towards next either.

It 'is' only Monday, but I think the more pressing issue at hand will be Crown Tundra's release date.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
personally I think waddle dee and dixie arent necessary. I think DK and Kirby are represented perfectly right now and they dont NEED another rep
I agree with this 100%, but I still think their inclusions would be pretty cool. It's kind of like wanting Blood Falcon or Black Shadow; it'd be cool, but Captain Falcon certainly reps F-Zero pretty good on his own.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'll definitely keep an open mind for this week, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking towards next either.

It 'is' only Monday, but I think the more pressing issue at hand will be Crown Tundra's release date.
This is kind of where I'm at. This week isn't impossible, but...Well, I'm not banking on it, lol.

Man, I didn't even think of the possibility they drop Crown Tundra end of this week or sometime next week. That'd probably kill chances for Smash news both this and next week if they did that.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Despite Pokemon being announced this week and Mario 35th releasing this week and having had two announcements last week? What would make this different?

You guys sure really like to find ways to dash our hopes eh when it seems things are lining up? No fun allowed!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Despite Pokemon being announced this week and Mario 35th releasing this week and having had two announcements last week? What would make this different?

You guys sure really like to find ways to dash our hopes eh when it seems things are lining up? No fun allowed!
Here we go again, Mike. Remember the talk we had last night.

If you're going to start throwing hands again, you really need to take a break, this drought has really.... got you acting weird, to put it lightly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here we go again, Mike. Remember the talk we had last night.

If you're going to start throwing hands again, you really need to take a break, this drought has really.... got you acting weird, to put it lightly.
Still, my point is are those two things I mentioned. What would make this different and the release of a game not having a Smash reveal on the same week?

Shroob

Sup?
Still, my point is are those two things I mentioned. What would make this different and the release of a game not having a Smash reveal on the same week?
Everyone wants a Smash reveal, but we're also pretty aware of how they've been doing things the last month and a half in terms of releases, being 1 large thing per week. Last week was a slight break in the pattern, but this is Pokemon, Pokemon's huge, we cannot say for certain that this will be all we get or not.

No one's trying to stomp on your parade, but you need to take a step back yourself, because you've been getting needlessly aggressive for no reason these past few days.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think a Smash reveal or announcement this week isn't off the table, Nintendo just seems to be releasing things in small doses week by week.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Everyone wants a Smash reveal, but we're also pretty aware of how they've been doing things the last month and a half in terms of releases, being 1 large thing per week. Last week was a slight break in the pattern, but this is Pokemon, Pokemon's huge, we cannot say for certain that this will be all we get or not.

No one's trying to stomp on your parade, but you need to take a step back yourself, because you've been getting needlessly aggressive for no reason these past few days.
I'm really sorry for coming off this way, its just with the underway of a second wave, it kinda has me on edge and hysterical given its gonna be forcing me to stay home more often. I'm giving this until next week, if we don't get anything Smash by then, I'll be taking a break from this thread and be sticking to the social.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
It's kind of funny how there are apparently characters who don't "need" to be in Smash, yet there are arguably characters already on the roster who didn't "need" to be in Smash. Then you have the characters who apparently "need" to be in Smash, yet they probably won't even get into Ultimate once the DLC cycle is over.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Just wanna put it out there that I'm not trying to be a fun killer with saying this week doesn't look likely or that a pass delay might happen, I'm just sharing my thoughts on what could happen. I'm just a random dude on the internet, I don't know 100% what's gonna happen, and for what it's worth, I'm not fully convinced yet the worse case scenarios are gonna happen just yet.

I'd just recommend remembering at the end of the day, it's just news on a game, it'll come when it comes. Maybe it'll be this week, maybe it'll be next, who knows?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just to be clear regarding the release of Crown Tundra we're you guys referring to this week or next week?

Because otherwise, I might have misinterpreted it.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't hate Dixie, but I never really understand the idea that she was "the last Nintendo all stars". It feels like the idea is that after Dixie every Nintendo character would be "hitting the bottom of the barrel" but I highly disagree with that idea. There's some more modern Nintendo characters like Ring fit and Astral chain that, while they don't have the history of Dixie, are really popular and a big deal to be in Smash eventually. Pokémon will always stuck, so that will made new characters probably each new Smash. I would argue that Toad is a pretty big Nintendo all stars not in the game, probably more popular and bigger than Dixie. And there's plenty of retro characters that have a huge following like Isaac, Takamaru etc.

There's many more that I'm missing, but the idea that Dixie is the last Nintendo all stars just feels to me like hard gatekeeping more than something that is actually true.
A good chunk of fanbases like to categorize themselves as something bigger than they actually are.

Some Dixie fans like to categorize Dixie as the last big Nintendo All Star; when that's not exactly true. Like you suggested there are Toad and Bandana Dee, but also a good chunk of others too. I'd personally argue Dixie's significance currently is closer to someone like Magolor/Marx rather than the former 2, in that there's a push to get her to be a bigger character in her own series; but it's not like DK is poorly represented without her. Sure, it would be nice to get her and Magolor/Marx in; but there are still other bigger all stars missing IMO.

It's not just Dixie fans though, other fanbases also do this. Geno fans like to categorize themselves as the last big old fan request, but then you ignore characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Lyn, Midna (or any Zelda character other than the main trio for that matter), and so on. It's just the nature of speculation, if you make the character look like a bigger omitted piece, more people are likely to join and discuss such characters, and more discussion leads to more requests.
No hate to these fanbases though, especially since I would be fine with both of these characters making it in, but this is how these things will end up going.

Dixie/Geno end up getting in next.
Some Waluigi/Isaac fans: "Our character is the last big missing ______"
And so on, so forth.

I think Dixie's still pretty likely for next game though, probably as a semiclone of Diddy; especially since the other big DK request is out of the way (K. Rool)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I will say is that a healthy skepticism about what we're getting this week is not entirely unwarranted given how the year has been. While I won't be entirely convinced till roughly Wednesday, I wouldn't blame anyone who sees how Nintendo's done their rollouts of announcements in the past 8 months and concluded that they will only put out so much. While the steady bits of weekly news have been refreshing given what a drought it was before, even with the Mario 35th Direct, I can't say it felt like we were being overwhelmed at once with major announcements. The fact that an Animal Crossing free DLC update was considered a plus one on top of a Kirby spin-off being released last week is telling of how much we've come to realistically expect in one 7 day period.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On second thought until further notice, I'm going to take a break from this thread, really nothing here at this point to speculate on, until we get an announcement regarding Smash, you'll find me in the social thread.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's kind of funny how there are apparently characters who don't "need" to be in Smash, yet there are arguably characters already on the roster who didn't "need" to be in Smash. Then you have the characters who apparently "need" to be in Smash, yet they probably won't even get into Ultimate once the DLC cycle is over.
1601320612320.png

Never seen a man spit so many facts at once before. The only one I could see being a "need" in DLC form is Hero.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The last time I was involved with discussion about Nintendo All-Stars, someone else was trying to convince people that most of Ultimate's newcomers didn't qualify as All-Stars.

The term is highly subjective and on it's own doesn't really mean much of anything in a debate.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Leave it to TPC and Pokemon to be the best heels they can ever be towards the Smash fandom :bowsette:

Jokes aside there should be nothing holding a Smash reveal back now that the Pokemon DLC is finally out of the way. Like, we know the fighter is already done thanks to the name data gap from the photo contest. I'd be surprised if we don't get Smash at all in these two weeks, the tournament is done, there are no more DLC updates of other games that are waiting to be revealed. At this point there is no other reason to continue prolonging FP7 unless there's another game they wish to shadow drop.

I agree with the notion that they're stretching it right now, we only know one character after nine months of development and said character released about 3 months ago. Part of me hopes on them doing a double reveal, but it's extremely unlikely. FP7 very well may be our last fighter for this year.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The last time I was involved with discussion about Nintendo All-Stars, someone else was trying to convince people that most of Ultimate's newcomers didn't qualify as All-Stars.

The term is highly subjective and on it's own doesn't really mean much of anything in a debate.
1601321244722.png

This is the only Nintendo product with All-Stars that I could find in my memories, therefore we need Birdo in Smash pronto.

D

Deleted member

So, if the leak is real..

One more time...

IF the leak is real,

then we're looking at a 'New Franchise', 'Popular in the West', 'Nobody is Expecting'.

Travis Touchdown, Doom Guy, Ryu Hayabusa, Waluigi, Geno, Steve, Crash Bandicoot, and Dante have all been considered endlessly, so IF the leak is true, then it won't be any of those guys.

Can't be Dixie either because it's supposed to be a 'New Franchise'.

Xenosaga is not what anybody would call popular; let alone in the west (the series wouldn't have died if it was 'Popular' in an entire region) so that's likely a 'nope' to KOS-MOS (plus she's arguably the same franchise as Shulk).

Rex/Pyra & Elma haven't really been talked too much about outside Smashboards (or too much at all as of late), but they are within the 'Xeno' series universe, so its kind of a toss up whether they can be considered possible for this particular fighter or not.

Rayman would be a new franchise and it's been awhile since he was discussed (the normal loop seems to be Pokemon, Dante, Doomguy, Crash, New Person, wash, rinse, repeat). I don't know how popular he really is though. Guess he's possible?

Obviously not everything we discuss as possible here on Smashboards counts as something 'people were expecting', but it shouldn't be too hard to kind of figure out what the possibilities are.

Last edited by a moderator:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
So, if the leak is real..

One more time...

IF the leak is real,

then we're looking at a 'New Franchise', 'Popular in the West', 'Nobody is Expecting'.

Travis Touchdown, Doom Guy, Geno, Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, and Dante have all been considered endlessly, so IF the leak is true, then it won't be any of those guys.

Can't be Dixie either because it's supposed to be a 'New Franchise'.

Xenosaga is not what anybody would call popular; let alone in the west (the series wouldn't have died if it was 'Popular' in an entire region) so that's likely a 'nope' to KOS-MOS (plus she's arguably the same franchise as Shulk).

Rex/Pyra & Elma haven't really been talked too much about outside Smashboards (or too much at all as of late), but they are within the 'Xeno' series universe, so its kind of a toss up whether they can be considered possible for this particular fighter or not.

Rayman would be a new franchise and it's been awhile since he was discussed (the normal loop seems to be Pokemon, Dante, Doomguy, Crash, New Person, wash, rinse, repeat). I don't know how popular he really is though. Guess he's possible?

Obviously not everything we discuss as possible here on Smashboards counts as something 'people were expecting', but it shouldn't be too hard to kind of figure out what the possibilities are.
Tomb Raider pls

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I wont lie sometimes i crack up at smash discussion cause people will be like "geno, dixie, waluigi, waddle dee and co are all all stars" then scoff at the idea of chars like Dante, Axel, Nightmare, Terry, Doomguy or Hayabusa getting in

Like its just funny tbh. Nothing wrong with wanting them obv but from an outsiders perspective its p quirky

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Every time someone says their most wanted is the last major Brawl request/Nintendo Allstar or whatever Sakurai decided to make those characters the last video game characters ever to be playable. Hope y'all like playing as a Darknut, Nina Cortex, that one scientist in Metroid Other M that gives off the Gendo look and many more as they'll be playable before whoever you describe like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom