• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only reason I can guess as to why it was impossible is that they tried porting the story so far instead of each collection individually.

That would probably take up too much space for a switch title (6 games and 3 movies)

Either that or they just didn't want to bother with KH3D's touch mechanics with how ****ty the switch touch screen is.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... regarding Kirby choices.

Bandana Waddle Dee should absolutely be next in line. He has quite literally everything going for him.

That said, after him, I think Magalor is establishing himself as a main stay.

Kirby may eventually be a quintet.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Bandana Waddle Dee should absolutely be next in line. He has quite literally everything going for him.

Honestly there are a good chunk of Kirby characters that I could feasibly see
-BWD
-Magalor
-Gooey
-Susie
-Adeline & Ribbon
-Rick + Kine + Koo

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m totally against a Kirby newcomer in Vol 2 pass but I am open to a new character in the future. I know the popular pick is Bandana Waddle Dee but I would love to see a Pokémon Trainer-type character with the Animal Friends including Gooey.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
theyre gonna keep making anthro starters cause trust me

appealing to furries sells
Just saying this right now, but people severely overrate how much push furries have. They are a subculture of a subculture and not all of them are interested in Pokemon, they're not going to be enough on their own to push any Pokemon to the highest peaks of popularity. They have to have a good presence with the general audience as well, otherwise they fade into the background like any other Pokemon that's only popular with a small group of fans.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Had to dig up this meme from like 2014

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not sure I expect a Kirby rep in this pass, but Kirby is quickly becoming the next "Zelda" for me.

Seriously, you'd think a franchise that's stayed relevant and adds new characters in each game would've gotten something by now. Three ain't a bad number, but I feel like there's plenty of material Sakurai is overlooking.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is it just me, or are Sakurai and his team the only ones who can make a 3D model of King Dedede that doesn't look super dumb?

I started the Pokemon talk.
I thought MandJTV started Pokémon Talk...

Remember this crime against humanity.
I was referring to the 3D segments rather than the boss itself.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I've been looking at all the franchises included in Smash, and you know which one's future worries me the most? Kid Icarus. The status of that series is up in the air. Sakurai could go back to it, but he might not. He's been very preoccupied with Smash for almost a decade. Maybe after Ultimate. But otherwise, Kid Icarus could wind up having the same fate as F-Zero if nobody steps up.

Same goes for Punch Out!! (I have to add the exclamation points or it bothers me). I'm sure this franchise will come back at some point in one form or another, but it had no games between the SNES and Wii (a whopping 15 year hiatus)...

Wait a minute. Punch Out!! was on hiatus for 15 years... can you believe Mother 3 will be 15 years old in one year. Time really flies, and now I feel old.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I thought MandJTV started Pokémon Talk...
Maybe earlier, but I thought my own question reignited the topic tonight:

Alright, here's a question just for fun and to shake the topic up a bit: Let's say one Pokemon, and only one Pokemon from the 30 results of the Pokemon of the Year Poll (that isn't already playable, obv) gets a chance to join Smash as a part of FP2. Doesn't matter which one it is, nor which generation it's from, as long as it's from the top 30 in the poll and isn't already in the game.

First off, which one would you pick as a personal want, and second, which one would you deem most likely to actually join the game?
Which I may as well have reposted anyway for anyone may have missed it or is still interested in answering it.

If there was talk about Pokemon here today prior to that, I wasn't here for it. :p

EDIT: ...I think I missed a joke or something here because I can't honestly say I know who "MandJTV" is.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeesh, I always seem to miss the AT discussions when they happen. I generally just try and stick to whatever conversation is currently happening, but there is something I thought about regarding ATs that I feel like sharing, so screw it. It'll be more worthwhile than horny pokemon talk atleast...

So anyways, I see alot of people think that if a character gets assist trophied, that those characters must be ones that Sakurai or NIntendo had no interest in at all, or had no interest in making playable at all. I don't think I really agree that that is ever the ONLY reason a character gets AT'd, or that disinterest is the only reason for all ATs. I don't recall Sakurai ever really going in depth into why he makes characters ATs, or any particular characters AT either.

Perhaps there are characters that don't get screwed out of playable status because of disinterest, but perhaps some miss out due to prioritization? like, maybe there was a character that Sakurai did have on his radar that he did seriously consider, but unfortunately there were characters that outranked said At character in important or that Sakurai/Nintendo had more interest in, and due to time, budget, resources, etc. the AT'd character got...well...AT'd. I feel like Alucard could actually be a perfect example for what I'm talking about. IIRC, didn't Sakurai say at some point that he did consider or maybe want Alucard to be playable in Smash, but he ended up going for the Belmonts instead since they would be a better fit or would make more sense to represent Castlevania? If I'm remembering this correctly and didn't have some weird fever dream, I'd say that just because he went with the Belmonts, it doesn't mean that Sakurai suddenly had zero interest in Alucard or spontaneously thought he wouldn't be a good Smash character, some other characters just simply outprioritized or outranked Alucard in the end, leaving him with AT status.

To go further on thing, hypothetically what if one of said characters to lose out due to priority were actually pretty close to making it in or, pretty high up the proverbial priority list? Like, maybe there are ATs characters close to where Terry and Byleth were on this hypethetical list that may or may not be a thing. maybe FP2 will give these characters a spot to finally shine, unless some other characters ended up showing up between base game/FP1 and FP2, cutting in line and outranking said AT characters, leaving them to R.I.P in their snowglobe and yet again miss out on getting playable, which I realize could also be a possibility.

That's basically all I had. largely hypethetical or theoretical talk, but hey, that's speculation, and that said I don't think anything I said is necessarily impossible or outside the realm of possibility to maybe be a thing that happens within game development; for Smash or any sort of fighting game for that matter (there have been examples of assist characters getting playable status through DLC before in other fighting games even, though what those examples are I don't remember).

So it's for these reasons that when it comes to the AT issue, I firmly stand with team "Assist trophies could potentially be made into a playable fighter through FP2 I dunno we will see I guess."

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've been looking at all the franchises included in Smash, and you know which one's future worries me the most? Kid Icarus. The status of that series is up in the air. Sakurai could go back to it, but he might not. He's been very preoccupied with Smash for almost a decade. Maybe after Ultimate. But otherwise, Kid Icarus could wind up having the same fate as F-Zero if nobody steps up.

Same goes for Punch Out!! (I have to add the exclamation points or it bothers me). I'm sure this franchise will come back at some point in one form or another, but it had no games between the SNES and Wii (a whopping 15 year hiatus)...

Wait a minute. Punch Out!! was on hiatus for 15 years... can you believe Mother 3 will be 15 years old in one year. Time really flies, and now I feel old.
At least Kid icarus got three characters and multiple stages from a masterpieces of a shooter.

FZero only has the one guy.

D

Deleted member

Not sure I expect a Kirby rep in this pass, but Kirby is quickly becoming the next "Zelda" for me.

Seriously, you'd think a franchise that's stayed relevant and adds new characters in each game would've gotten something by now. Three ain't a bad number, but I feel like there's plenty of material Sakurai is overlooking.
Sakurai overlooks pretty much everything from modern Kirby, probably because of a combination of it being easier to draw from work he had a hand in himself & being biased towards classic Kirby. I feel like any other director would've put BWD in by now given his popularity & recurring prominence in the series, but Sakurai's history leaves BWD in... unique circumstances.

Zelda on the other hand is just weird. I want to say that there hasn't been a non-Triforce wielder added because most candidates (Midna, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, the Champions pre-DLC2) have largely been one-and-dones, but then you have Fire Emblem picking up character after character just for the sake of them being the hot new thing on the block. It's strange to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like Alucard could actually be a perfect example for what I'm talking about. IIRC, didn't Sakurai say at some point that he did consider or maybe want Alucard to be playable in Smash, but he ended up going for the Belmonts instead since they would be a better fit or would make more sense to represent Castlevania?
Yes. He also said he had considered Takamaru.

Zelda on the other hand is just weird. I want to say that there hasn't been a non-Triforce wielder added because most candidates (Midna, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, the Champions pre-DLC2) have largely been one-and-dones, but then you have Fire Emblem picking up character after character just for the sake of them being the hot new thing on the block. It's strange to say the least.
To quote myself from way earlier: "Why add a new character when you can just change how Link looks?"

I really think the main trio in combination with the rotating supporting cast is what keeps the series from getting new characters because no matter what, they can tangibly represent the newest release. EDIT: The one-off characters may be a bit shinier, but they're still just one-offs. It's really a shame.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

FZero only has the one guy.
I'd really want another F-Zero character to make it into Smash, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a moment...

I think Captain Falcon alone reps his franchise extremely well. But, a moveset had to be completely made up for him. Is it worth making up another unique moveset for a series that hasn't seen a game in almost 20 years? The only character I can honestly see getting a unique, fleshed out moveset is Samurai Goroh considering he has already been an AT. Otherwise, I think Blood Falcon or Black Shadow can work as echoes.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
It's not like those one and done characters were been ignored when Ultimate was been developed either. Especially when this was around.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man I just saw y'all debate ATs again and I must say, it's surprising seeing how many people insist that because Sakurai never explicitly mentioned Spring Man was out as an AT that ATs all still have a shot. I'd just roll my eyes but seeing how aggressive people stick to that point tells me that they'd say DMC4 and DMC5 are bad because Nero's mother doesn't get a detailed backstory, which is ironic as Nintendo shadowdrops the spinoff of a franchise that adores to give off significantly deeper implications than what's outright said. Seriously, Kirby being an eldritch god is ****ing canon as of Star Allies

TheBeastHimself

Man I just saw y'all debate ATs again and I must say, it's surprising seeing how many people insist that because Sakurai never explicitly mentioned Spring Man was out as an AT that ATs all still have a shot. I'd just roll my eyes but seeing how aggressive people stick to that point tells me that they'd say DMC4 and DMC5 are bad because Nero's mother doesn't get a detailed backstory, which is ironic as Nintendo shadowdrops the spinoff of a franchise that adores to give off significantly deeper implications than what's outright said. Seriously, Kirby being an eldritch god is ****ing canon as of Star Allies
You say this now, but watch Waluigi somehow makes it as FP11 lol

D

Deleted member

You went from ATs to Nero's mother to Kirby being an eldritch god.

I'm a bit confused.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I really want Alucard in Smash 6 along with Geese Horward or Nakoruru, Zero, Waluigi, and Sephiroth.

I stopped by another convenience store, Lawson (which is originally from my home state of Ohio) to check its display. Here’s the difference between the 7-11 display and another convenience store display:

I also read someone disparinging that our leads for Smash news is dependent on an ad in a convenience store. Conbini’s (convenience stores) is Japan are actually pretty amazing. Like, besides having these sort of ads for not only this but even promotions for in-game content and such, many of them have cafes, you can pick up your mail and shipments here, pay loans, bills, and wire money, send your own packages with in-store mailing delivery systems, free wifi, purchase microwaveable squid ink pasta, sushi, and fried pork cutlet on rice, order movie and event tickets, and even a place to charge your phone while you shop. So it doesn’t surprise me at all that 7-11 does these ads for Smash. 7-11 was where I purchased my digital copy of Smash, New Horizons, SwSh, and both volume passes. I also want to mention that both of these stores are in the countryside and nothing like Tokyo. All there is around it is bamboo forests, rice fields, apple orchards, and bears lol

Ah, I didn’t notice this but the sign above it says that you can get 500 additional points for purchasing Mario 3D collection with a Ponta Card digitally. It ends October 4th, same as the Smash Ultimate display are 7 -11.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I also read someone disparinging that our leads for Smash news is dependent on an ad in a convenience store. Conbini’s (convenience stores) is Japan are actually pretty amazing. Like, besides having these sort of ads for not only this but even promotions for in-game content and such, many of them have cafes, you can pick up your mail and shipments here, pay loans, bills, and wire money, send your own packages with in-store mailing delivery systems, free wifi, purchase microwaveable squid ink pasta, sushi, and fried pork cutlet on rice, order movie and event tickets, and even a place to charge your phone while you shop. So it doesn’t surprise me that all that 7-11 does these ads for Smash. 7-11 was where I purchased my digital copy of Smash, New Horizons, SwSh, and both volume passes. I also want to mention that both of these stores are in the countryside and nothing like Tokyo. All there is around it is bamboo forests, rice fields, apple orchards, and bears lol
Hmm, yeah so uh quick question.

How do I move to Japan?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really want Alucard in Smash 6 along with Geese Horward or Nakoruru, Zero, Waluigi, and Sephiroth.

I stopped by another convenience store, Lawson (which is originally from my home state of Ohio) to check its display. Here’s the difference between the 7-11 display and another convenience store display:

I also read someone disparinging that our leads for Smash news is dependent on an ad in a convenience store. Conbini’s (convenience stores) is Japan are actually pretty amazing. Like, besides having these sort of ads for not only this but even promotions for in-game content and such, many of them have cafes, you can pick up your mail and shipments here, pay loans, bills, and wire money, send your own packages with in-store mailing delivery systems, free wifi, purchase microwaveable squid ink pasta, sushi, and fried pork cutlet on rice, order movie and event tickets, and even a place to charge your phone while you shop. So it doesn’t surprise me that all that 7-11 does these ads for Smash. 7-11 was where I purchased my digital copy of Smash, New Horizons, SwSh, and both volume passes.
I don't think anyone who's actually been to a Japanese convenience store would disparage it. Especially 7-11.

I certainly wouldn't. They're my main banking resource and have saved me more than once when I was there, haha.

The only thing missing are the slurpees. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom