• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Eh

I find “prediction” videos useless nowadays. They’re all the same “safe” picks. Think about it. Nobody would have predicted Joker, Terry, Byleth, or an ARMS character at all, let alone Min Min. At the end of the day Sakurai adds whomever he wants to and trying to predict his thought pattern isn’t accurate

D

Deleted member

Holy ****, five pages after my nap???

What happened???

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Eh

I find “prediction” videos useless nowadays. They’re all the same “safe” picks. Think about it. Nobody would have predicted Joker, Terry, Byleth, or an ARMS character at all, let alone Min Min. At the end of the day Sakurai adds whomever he wants to and trying to predict his thought pattern isn’t accurate
Yeah, no one seems to go out of bounds and predict characters who are more out there and may not be in the game, but could be.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, no one seems to go out of bounds and predict characters who are more out there and may not be in the game, but could be.
That's because whenever someone tries to be unsafe and wild, they get chastised for not saying either a safe pick or the relevant character of the week.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Eh

2020 and people still go for the “safe” picks when discussing DLC characters.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Eh

To add on to this, There is no "Hype Quota" there is no precedent saying that there is going to be X amount of popular characters or "this character needs to be added it just makes sense"

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Speaking of, I feel like losing self-esteem right now, so I'm gonna break the ice. :p

Wouldn't it be dope to see SoulCalibur get a character in this Second Pass?
Nah, they wouldn't go for them, the remaining five slots are gonna be Geno, Dark Geno, Mii Gunner Geno, Geno in his M&L Cameo, and Gino Vannelli.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah. And Charizard gets a newcomer reveal trailer for Smash 4. But wait! He was already a newcomer in Brawl as part of Pokemon Trainer's moveset!

So WHICH ONE IS IT? Oh! Is it actually inconsistent because it's ****ing stupid? You don't say!
Zero Suit Samus got her own splash art as well due to her new status as a solo fighter. She just didn't fit into a newcomer trailer.

Though Sheik never got one so your point still stands for the most part (if I were to hazard a guess though, she didn't get one for pacing reasons).
EDIT: Actually it appears they all did get one. So yeah, I think it was to denote their solo debut.

Wouldn't it be dope to see SoulCalibur get a character in this Second Pass?
The actual candidates for a SoulCalibur character: I sleep.
Yoshimitsu: Real stuff?!?

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
smash speculation is mostly built around echo chambers

this is largely why no one talked about Terry or Byleth or even Min min really being in the game so far

people echo chamber omega hard with the same couple characters honestly. Like dante has become the next doomguy and were probably not going to get any but maybe one of the super talked about chars this pass

smash is p bad about discussing the same few picks then being blindsided when sakurai is like "yeah ive played more games than you lmao"

Shroob

Sup?
And yet in both games, SquareEnix got their own segregated Mii Costume waves.
For now, sure. We can't say **** until the DLC's done.

I love finding patterns as much as the last guy, but how many times have patterns failed the Smash community? I can't even count them on both my hands.

I'm not saying he's not happening

But I also don't believe anything until a VERY good source comes out, and I don't consider Fatman a credible source compared to someone like Imran, Nate or Shinobi tbh.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Not even close lol
It's like Mickey Mouse got a hold of cartoony Einstein experimental kit instead of the Sorceror's Hat.

And is now stuck in Helix's form together with Pluto.

And yes, there are Mickey shorts / comics that play on horror tropes, so them being stuck inside Helix fit him entirely: The Mad Doctor and Runaway Brain are two examples.

2020 and people still go for the “safe” picks when discussing DLC characters.
To play Devil's Advocate: "Safe" picks seem likely because they're after all very prominent in some form or fashion. Also, the nature of character speculation means that those who seem to be likely get a lot of the airtime. That's why a lot of people still lean towards "safe" picks, partly because they instantly come to mind or seemingly fit neatly within the puzzle. Seemingly being the key word here.

Zero Suit Samus got her own splash art as well due to her new status as a solo fighter. She just didn't fit into a newcomer trailer.

Though Sheik never got one so your point still stands for the most part (if I were to hazard a guess though, she didn't get one for pacing reasons).
For what it's worth Sheik did get official art:

Edit: here's Zelda's:

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
smash speculation is mostly built around echo chambers

this is largely why no one talked about Terry or Byleth or even Min min really being in the game so far

people echo chamber omega hard with the same couple characters honestly. Like dante has become the next doomguy and were probably not going to get any but maybe one of the super talked about chars this pass

smash is p bad about discussing the same few picks then being blindsided when sakurai is like "yeah ive played more games than you lmao"
Well people did talk about Byleth, just that it was in the context of "oh god please let it not be Byleth"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Back during Smash 4, SquareEnix had a Mii Costume wave all to itself comprised of a grand total of two costumes. To this day, no other company has ever gotten their own dedicated Mii Costume wave. Not SEGA, not Capcom, not Konami, not SNK, not even Nintendo themselves.
Sega got their own costume wave with Joker

D

Deleted member

If :ultbylethf: was added earlier in FP1 or later in FP2, do you think the Byleth salt would have been less worse?

I'm fine with Byleth being the final character of FP1, personally.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For what it's worth Sheik did get official art:
We were talking about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U.

Charizard got "Charizard Fires it Up!" and Zero Suit Samus got "Zero Suit Samus Zeroes In!" to denote the unveiling of them as solo fighters, but iirc, Sheik got nothing of the sort, just an explanation of why transforming characters weren't feasible in the current game.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If :ultbylethf: was added earlier in FP1 or later in FP2, do you think the Byleth salt would have been less worse?

If you ask me, I'd say the final spot for FP1 is the least salt-inducing.

Any earlier and it's either dangerously close to release or before it, meaning people didn't have months to actually like Three Houses before the reveal.

That really softens the blow, imo.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I largely missed the conversation about Corrin's voice, but I don't think Cam Clarke's take on the character is that bad. He does a decent job providing a voice for what Corrin is intended to be, a sheltered and naive softy bound to and driven by his own principles. I think it's mostly poor writing and direction that drags the performance down.

Also, can we talk about how great Ultimate's English voice cast is? Stuff like getting Keith Silverstein, David Vincent, and Patrick Seitz to reprise the roles as Simon, Richter, and Dracula a decade after Judgement and the Dracula X Chronicles is pretty awesome. Smash's voice cast comes from all over the world and has a ton of history behind it, Nintendo really went above and beyond the call of duty.

D

Deleted member

Well people did talk about Byleth, just that it was in the context of "oh god please let it not be Byleth"
Really? I can name some people that actually wanted Byleth. I thought Byleth was not mentioned much until they were revealed.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

I think Byleth would've been better received if they were the first character of Fighters Pass 2.

I remember people being under the impression that, because Rex and an ARMS character weren't showing up in Fighters Pass 1 due to timing issues, that also meant a Three Houses character (and any characters from a new Switch game in general) was also off the table... then Byleth showed up, complete with Sakurai saying they were picked before their game was even released, which ended up rubbing a lot of fans (especially those who wanted Rex and ARMS) the wrong way.

If Byleth was instead the first character of Fighters Pass 2, they would've just gotten a begrudging "well, they would've happened eventually, might as well accept it" reaction at worst. Plus, if Fighters Pass 1 was all third-parties like everyone was expecting, then Byleth would've established that first-parties were on the table for Fighters Pass 2, which would've further lessened any potential salt.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Really? I can name some people that actually wanted Byleth. I thought Byleth was not mentioned much until they were revealed.
He's talking about a general standpoint.

Obviously there are unikorns people who legit wanted Byleth. They're just a vocal minority compared to the FE haters.

SKX31

Smash Master
We were talking about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U.

Charizard got "Charizard Fires it Up!" and Zero Suit Samus got "Zero Suit Samus Zeroes In!" to denote the unveiling of them as solo fighters, but iirc, Sheik got nothing of the sort, just an explanation of why transforming characters weren't feasible in the current game.
Oh yeah, d'oh. Misjudged.

Appears she did get a tagline and splash art:

And this appears to be the source (0:33):

The artwork also appears to match Sheik's own section of the 3DS / WII U site, so it's likely that it's the authentic one.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, can we talk about how great Ultimate's English voice cast is? Stuff like getting Keith Silverstein, David Vincent, and Patrick Seitz to reprise the roles as Simon, Richter, and Dracula a decade after Judgement and the Dracula X Chronicles is pretty awesome. Smash's voice cast comes from all over the world and has a ton of history behind it, Nintendo really went above and beyond the call of duty.
Yeah, beyond Corrin, the only thing I actively have a problem with is "AE!!!", And that's not even a problem with the acting or directing, they just chopped the clip in half because the Japanese quote was too different or something.

Back at Fire Emblem I see.
No one's getting worked up about anything at the moment though...

Appears she did:
Huh. Neat! Dunno why I couldn't find it then since I found Zero Suit Samus's pretty easily.

I mean to be fair, there was Fire Emblem discussing occuring before my post.
Yeah, but they were just discussing it though. Nobody was trying to bash it or no-"THER!!!"

Dang it Chrom!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Um... Koei Tecmo also has Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive!

Have you been talked down? I'm not really good at this...
I never seen the appeal of dead or alive. honestly, and i really don't think its a koei tecmo battle horse. On the other hand, i usually find funny how much dinasty warriors gets overlooked... Imo the true Koei Tecmo battle horse.
He's talking about a general standpoint.

Obviously there are unikorns people who legit wanted Byleth. They're just a vocal minority compared to the FE haters.
I dont think a three houses character was that unpredicted, and between edelgard's, dimitri's and claude's supporter we always knew that byleth was an option. The surprise was that it was on teh first pass and decided when teh game wasn even out. honestly. i was dead sure that FP6 was gonna be a 3 houses character, but it ended being FP5

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Byleth hate was overwhelmingly strong even with the knowledge that we were getting six additional characters after their release, so I doubt their inclusion would've been accepted much better during the first pass when details of a second wave either didn't exist or the number of characters it would actually add was unknown at the time.

And making Byleth one of the later characters in Vol. 2 probably would've soured even more people on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom