• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just don't want Lucas to get cut in the future but my boy ain't priority! :(

please release mother 3 so he can be preserved
Mother 3's never happening but Lucas is already preserved in a way, he's already been in Smash at least once, and that alone makes people care about characters. Nobody would have given 2 ****s about Ice Climbers had Melee not introduced them

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I do think now is Rex's last chance, and it might be too late already if Sakurai is privy to whatever is next for the Xenoblade series.
I wouldn't go that far. All Xenoblade Chronicles games are huge, and we just got Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. Whatever they decided to do, be it Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or Xenoblade Chronicles X Remastered probably wouldn't be far enough along for consideration. That is, unless they wanted to tease the latter game for some reason.

EDIT: I do agree with you. The series's representation in Super Smash Bros. is still young, but give it time and the effects of rotating cast syndrome will start to manifest. Likely starting with Elma and Rex being non-factors assuming their games aren't/won't be the next big thing when the next roster is decided.

I doubt a reminder of an NA only tournament that was already announced previously will be our Smash event for the week.
Or at the very least, they wouldn't not make any more announcements because of it.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Mother 3's never happening but Lucas is already preserved in a way, he's already been in Smash at least once, and that alone makes people care about characters. Nobody would have given 2 ****s about Ice Climbers had Melee not introduced them
Thank you for the reassuring me! I only thought that because he was cut from Sm4sh originally, and appeared in Ultimate because everyone came back, and then Sakurai's comment... and how Ness might be enough to rep Mother by himself...

but I'll try to stay positive about it, I mean, another Smash might not be coming out for a long, long time.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sakurai outright said he wouldn't have included Lucas had he known that Mother 3 wouldn't get localized so no. Especially as Marth and Roy were planned to get cut from our versions of Melee
That has been a sobering thought for someone who's a fan of Melee's competitive scene. There were already widely circulated rumors during Melee's early life. The Sonic and Tails in Melee hoax for example (oh man, anecdotally I remember this and the Toad im Melee rumor pretty vividly, some believed those):

And if Marth / Roy had been Japan-exclusive those rumors would've likely been much more intense. Not to mention that some Americans / Europeans would've likely travelled to Japan or bought Japanese GCNs to test Marth / Roy out if that was the case.

Suffice it to say, I don't think that FE would've remained Japan-exclusive in that scenario either.

Besides what Gwen said: He's going to be okay, don't worry. Smash immortalized him in a way.

Nintendo and Sakurai's already reintroduced him via DLC once:

:4lucas:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thank you for the reassuring me! I only thought that because he was cut from Sm4sh originally, and appeared in Ultimate because everyone came back, and then Sakurai's comment... and how Ness might be enough to rep Mother by himself...

but I'll try to stay positive about it, I mean, another Smash might not be coming out for a long, long time.
There's no reason to worry about cuts now, not to mention that cuts have never been Sakurai going "**** this character yeet" but almost exclusively time constraints

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Because you've set your entire expectations around the past two characters, classifying everything which preceded them in the history of Smash DLC seemingly irrelevant, and have failed to see the situational difference between Min Min/Byleth and, for example, Akira Howard.

Spirit events of the past year were almost certainly decided in tandem with FP2 so as to eliminate overlap, much like base game spirits and FP1, which is why Min Min wouldn't have been in FP1, but was eligible for reevaluation for FP2. Byleth showing that "spirit events don't matter" actually opposes your conceit, considering it's not like there was a 3H event that predated the character. Again, no overlap.

I'm not particularly keen to delve into the discussion further, since I always seem to be restating this opinion, so suffice it to say I'm content to just wait, probably not very long, until we get some third-party which conflicts with your stance.
I don't think I've ignored the history of DLC, but I do think current trends are more important than the overarching history when it comes to speculation. In addition I do believe the final DLC will be 3rd party, I'm just predicting the next three characters(would not surprised me if I was wrong about one of them though). You can make up any long winded rationalization to explain why the last characters were first party, but at the end of the day its just that, a rationalization.

The reason MinMin wasn't in Fighters Pass 1 has nothing to do with a Spirit events, its because at the time Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make the ARMs gameplay work in Smash, which he explained in the MinMin release video. There was a Fire Emblem spirit board event and Byleth still got chosen, so I think its silly how much emphases everyone is putting on spirit events. Likely 3 or 4 of the remaining pass characters will be 1st party, time will tell who has it right though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't think I've ignored the history of DLC, but I do think current trends are more important than the overarching history when it comes to speculation. In addition I do believe the final DLC will be 3rd party, I'm just predicting the next three characters(would not surprised me if I was wrong about one of them though). You can make up any long winded rationalization to explain why the last characters were first party, but at the end of the day its just that, a rationalization.

The reason MinMin wasn't in Fighters Pass 1 has nothing to do with a Spirit events, its because at the time Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make the ARMs gameplay work in Smash, which he explained in the MinMin release video. There was a Fire Emblem spirit board event and Byleth still got chosen, so I think its silly how much emphases everyone is putting on spirit events. Likely 3 or 4 of the remaining pass characters will be 1st party, time will tell who has it right though.
Dude I think you're missing points entirely. Sakurai never said anything on ARMS not making it in the first pass and people aren't talking about spirit tournaments, they're talking about spirits who got added as free DLC, which Fire Emblem suspiciously lacked when 3H came around despite DLC Spirits having been used to promote new games constantly

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's no reason to worry about cuts now, not to mention that cuts have never been Sakurai going "**** this character yeet" but almost exclusively time constraints
Yeah, Sakurai isn't like a lot of people in this thread, and the next director probably won't be any different.

At worst we'll see a "trimming of the fat" mindset, but even then, how much of the roster can actually be considered fat? Pichu? Corrin? Piranha Plant? Most of the cast has either made their mark on the series or gaming as a whole. Oftentimes, it's both.

The reason MinMin wasn't in Fighters Pass 1 has nothing to do with a Spirit events, its because at the time Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make the ARMs gameplay work in Smash, which he explained in the MinMin release video.
I mean, he didn't say that wasn't it though. It's not really a thought process the devs would need to consciously have. It'd just be a "hey, she's not in. Let's get her a Spirit!". And even if it was that'd be a fairly random thing to talk about during the presentation since most people wouldn't understand it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Seeing how he was one of the few veterans considered popular/sales worthy enough to bring back for Smash 4 DLC, over the likes of Wolf, I wouldn't exactly call him low priority. Being based on Ness also helps. So I don't think he's anywhere near a guaranteed cut. And even if he is, you know how we Mother fans are, we'll get him back.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd say the only guaranteed cuts are:
  • Corrin because his fanbase is tiny in both the Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros. communities.
  • Incineroar because he was more divisive, was only in one game, will no longer be the hot new starter, and there are way more Pokémon characters to prioritize.
  • Piranha Plant because it was more divisive, was only in one game, and there are way more Super Mario characters to prioritize.
  • Hero because he's too expensive. He's the most likely to return as DLC though.
EDIT: Everyone else at least has a question mark.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
  • Corrin because his fanbase is tiny in both the Fire Emblem and Super Smash Bros. communities.
  • Incineroar because he was more divisive, was only in one game, will no longer be the hot new starter, and there are way more Pokémon characters to prioritize.
  • Piranha Plant because it was more divisive, was only in one game, and there are way more Super Mario characters to prioritize.
  • Hero because he's too expensive. He's the most likely to return as DLC though.
:ultcloud:

You're forgetting someone.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
And then all three of those divise ones will shoot up in popularity exponentially, because people will miss their unique movesets.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
also after looking back at previous SoR games Axel has his entire moveset from 4 other than the aerial spin punch so if they for some reason cant use SoR4 stuff cause its too recent then hes fine cause his full moveset is still there even without SoR4 we just wouldnt have the star super, aerial spin punch or his old daddy look

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
:ultcloud:

You're forgetting someone.
I don't think Cloud was ever officially stated to be super expensive, it's just evident that the rights are a beast to be reckoned with. I still say he has some possibility, especially since he's been a base roster character before.

And then all three of those divise ones will shoot up in popularity exponentially, because people will miss their unique movesets.
Oh of course. That's how this works. They don't even have to be that unique.

Source: Adamant Pichu supporter.

Also I’m part of male Corrin’s tiny fanbase no booly
I use the male skin too. Love that blue one. Just wish his voice clips weren't so...bleh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think Cloud was ever officially stated to be super expensive, it's just evident that the rights are a beast to be reckoned with. I still say he has some possibility, especially since he's been a base roster character before.
Wasn't it said that getting Cloud back for Ultimate was difficult and that he nearly didn't make it though?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's hilarious to me that the character with the worst Smash performance just so happens to be Liquid *ing Snake, what the actual * happened when Cam Clarke recorded those lines lmao
That's what happens when you've got no voice direction since your character doesn't have much to go on. Every other Fire Emblem character has a personality the VA's gotta appeal to, but Corrin probably lacked that back then (and probably now). Leads to stuff like the infamous "...Good!" victory line.

I will say though, his voice is done pretty well when he's got some sort of theme to nail.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh of course. That's how this works. They don't even have to be that unique.

Source: Adamant Pichu supporter.
But why does it matter what nature has in Smash? I mean, I get that with all the physical attacks in the game, having its attack stat raised is good and all, but at the expense of its special attack? IDK. I think a nature like naive or naughty would be better - drop that special defense for some more speed or attack, y'know.

Also look at Roy. As someone just mentioned earlier, pretty much all of his western popularity comes from Smash.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Huh? How does that mean another Square character?
So far we've been getting at least one (typically two) returning Mii Costumes with each wave:
  • Tails and Knuckles with Joker
  • Proto Man and Zero with Banjo
  • Jacky and Akira with Terry
  • Mega Man X and MegaMan.EXE with Byleth
  • Heihachi with Min Min
The only time we've ever not had returning Mii Costumes in a wave is with Hero, despite Hero having two existing costumes that by all accounts should've been included. So if SquareEnix is the only company to have their own segregated Mii Costume waves, if they still have two costumes that have yet to return, and if all of the missing Mii Costumes will eventually return which seems like an inevitability given how we've only got about 6 left, it's reasonable to come to the conclusion that we're likely to get a SquareEnix character later down the line, whether that's Geno, Sora, 2B, Gex, or anyone else you could name from that company.

Like what? Do we have a list of all his leaks, and verification that they did indeed come from him and not someone using his name? Because IIRC, ther's been some identity issues with him.
From what I'm aware...
  • There's the Mii Costume List (Zero, Proto Man, Rocket Grunt, Goemon, Mallow and Smithy with no mention of Geno)
  • There's the Terry Spirits List (Kyo, Haohmaru, Geese, and some Classic SNK Characters)
  • And there's the Byleth Info (Garreg Mach Monastery as a stage, and several of Byleth's alts)
I'd recommend DMing Fatmanonice Fatmanonice about it if you're curious, since he's probably got a better memory of it than I do.

Also, didn't he say Crash was FP5?
I believe he did mention it at one point, but had shortly thereafter nixed that because that alleged info was from a different source than the one who gave him the list of names.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying here, which is fine since I probably wasn't clear enough.

As you said, a developer said there was no takedown notice, just the fear of one. So that's the public statement on it. But the alleged discord leak insinuated they were hit with a takedown afterall. So that begs the question why the person that went public with it didn't say that. Nintendo isn't going to issue an NDA that forbids you from talking about another NDA. It doesn't work like that. In fact, an NDA could be public record in some cases, so it could be easy to verify if someone is lying about getting one or not.

So why the discrepancy between Legacy XP team members? Is the public one lying for the sake of hype, or is the discord one lying to mess with fans of certain characters? It's a weird situation either way.
Well, assuming this discord leak is real since I haven't heard anything about it and thus don't know where you're getting it from, I'd imagine it was due to the advice given by their attourney. I mean, when an attourney gives you advice you're wise to heed it, and while it was certainly brow-raising to most people, it did it's job well enough. Honestly, I don't think we'll ever truly know what went on behind the scenes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's what happens when you've got no voice direction since your character doesn't have much to go on. Every other Fire Emblem character has a personality the VA's gotta appeal to, but Corrin probably lacked that back then (and probably now). Leads to stuff like the infamous "...Good!" victory line.

I will say though, his voice is done pretty well when he's got some sort of theme to nail.
I get that but MGS is one of the first examples I think of when hearing 'excellent video game voice acting' with Liquid being incredibly memorable so it's like, what the **** happened cause Marcella Lentz-Pope sounds fine. It's like when you first hear that Gordon Ramsey's a fraud of a restautant owner who's been caught selling prepackaged meals and claiming it's freshly cooked

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Here are the characters I would cut from the next game.

Joker

Terry

Byleth

Piranha Plant

Dark Samus

Daisy

Pichu

Dr Mario

Falco

Young Link

Toon Link

Roy

Chrom

Lucina

Dark Pit

Palutena

Squirtle

Lucas

Ivysaur

Ike

Ken

Corrin

Richter

Incineroar

Clones and echoes COULD be relabeled as alt costumes instead of being removed; especially Dr Mario, Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Daisy, Falco, the Fire Emblem Marth homunculi, Richter, and Lucas. But I'm totally ok with just tossing them, especially if it means they can focus on new content instead. Also, just because I cut a character doesn't mean I don't like them.

Wolf, Sheik, Ice Climbers, and Wii Fit Trainer can go or stay, it doesn't really matter to me. If Wolf stays then his specials should be further differentiated from Fox's.

I was going to cut Mii fighters also, but they're kind of redeemed because of the deluxe mii costumes, which I think people really enjoy.

I would want a strong focus on new content, not on bringing back old content. SBB should prune out old content to focus on new content IMO. I'd do the same for the stages. I'd scrap a lot of the redundant stages and focus on adding new ones instead. (BTW Ultimate only comes with like 4 new stages by default; the rest are old. If you want more stages it's like $6 per stage for the dlc.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's hilarious to me that the character with the worst Smash performance just so happens to be Liquid *ing Snake, what the actual * happened when Cam Clarke recorded those lines lmao

Yeah it's definitely the voice direction. It kind of feels like the way they want the character to sound doesn't really mesh well with what actually sounds good. Even his Fire Emblem Warriors dialogue sounds a bit like he's just reading his lines in comparison to everyone else. I mean he's outdone by Lianna. Lianna.

EDIT: And yeah, Edgelord Corrin sounds quite good.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So far we've been getting at least one (typically two) returning Mii Costumes with each wave:
  • Tails and Knuckles with Joker
  • Proto Man and Zero with Banjo
  • Jacky and Akira with Terry
  • Mega Man X and MegaMan.EXE with Byleth
  • Heihachi with Min Min
The only time we've ever not had returning Mii Costumes in a wave is with Hero, despite Hero having two existing costumes that by all accounts should've been included. So if SquareEnix is the only company to have their own segregated Mii Costume waves, if they still have two costumes that have yet to return, and if all of the missing Mii Costumes will eventually return which seems like an inevitability given how we've only got about 6 left, it's reasonable to come to the conclusion that we're likely to get a SquareEnix character later down the line, whether that's Geno, Sora, 2B, Gex, or anyone else you could name from that company.
To be fair, Hero was also the only one to have all the Mii Costumes be from their home series. It was also the only one to be pushing an upcoming release (Byleth doesn't count because they released after their game did), so I'd imagine it was a part of the big DQXIS push Nintendo was doing back then.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
That has been a sobering thought for someone who's a fan of Melee's competitive scene. There were already widely circulated rumors during Melee's early life. The Sonic and Tails in Melee hoax for example (oh man, anecdotally I remember this and the Toad im Melee rumor pretty vividly, some believed those):

And if Marth / Roy had been Japan-exclusive those rumors would've likely been much more intense. Not to mention that some Americans / Europeans would've likely travelled to Japan or bought Japanese GCNs to test Marth / Roy out if that was the case.

Suffice it to say, I don't think that FE would've remained Japan-exclusive in that scenario either.

Besides what Gwen said: He's going to be okay, don't worry. Smash immortalized him in a way.

Nintendo and Sakurai's already reintroduced him via DLC once:

:4lucas:
I'm so glad Marth and Roy weren't Japan-exclusive. They're the progenitors of the swordie playstyle, and Melee would just feel like it was missing something without them. The thought of me not falling in love with the swordie playstyle back then makes me kinda sad. Nowadays, all Melee, or at least as much as possible, would probably be played on JPN or at least have the two modded in. But for the nearly two decades before that would have been feasible... Thinking about it feels so weird.

TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself I hope Lucas never gets cut, simply because you love him so much!

Okay, where the hell was this hot voice when it came time to record for Smash? What happened? xD

SKX31

Smash Master
The default for Corrin isn't edge, so we have Generic McGenericpants in Super Smash Bros. The girl makes it work, but the guy can't seem to get it to sound good.
Which is a bit strange when Cam Clarke has experience with these sort of roles - he's the TMNT '87 Leonardo. I honestly think it's not just the direction, but also him trying to sound a bit overly young when he might not need to.

Better pucker up dudes because we're entering a new era.
Game Pa$$, ¥€$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom