• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Man, I hope that thing's design gets better with the inevitable alternate forms

Because JESUS that's an ugly Legendary.

I remember when people ******* about how ugly Heatran was back in the day, but Calyrex is literally hideous.
Well, SOMEONE doesn't like big brain Pokemon...

Neither do I, thing's hideous.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright, I won't be able to watch it live, so here are my predictions for the Partner Showcase:

*Whatever the Monster Hunter game is
*Bravely Default 2 update
*Klonoa Encore (too much smoke for there to NOT be a fire)
*Possibly a Rune Factory 5 update
*Possibly a Bayonetta 3 update
*Wild Card: Yo-kai Watch 4 English release
*No Smash because why would Smash be here of all places?

D

Deleted member

I am feeling optimistic about this direct. It is finally about time we got something.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Been meaning to get into this series at some point, so I'm really interested in 5.
Both Versions of Rune Factory 4, Rune Factory 3 and Rune Factory Frontier are fantastic games. I would recommend them to anyone that really likes Farming sim games or just RPG's in general

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Watch me forget about the direct, because I am in virtual school. :p

I hope it turns out to be quite nice!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I need an explanation of what exactly "shill" means because I find so many different meanings from different people.
I think the general definition of "shill" is a promotional pick, i.e. Being shilled by Nintendo when they, according to the person saying it, don't really deserve it. Basically, shill=promotional.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, people use the word "shill" for just about any first-party character who debuted or stars in a relatively new game. I've seen plenty call Byleth and Min Min shill picks. I have no doubt that if a Champion, Octoling, Rex, an Astral Chain rep, Ring Fit Trainer, a SwSh rep, Paper Mario, or some other character from a Switch game were announced as F7, the people who didn't like that character would be quick to undermine their inclusion by pointing out that they were just another shill pick

"Shill" is another way of saying "relatively new character who I believe didn't deserve to get in."

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, people use the word "shill" for just about any first-party character who debuted or stars in a relatively new game. I've seen plenty call Byleth and Min Min shill picks. I have no doubt that if a Champion, Octoling, Rex, an Astral Chain rep, Ring Fit Trainer, a SwSh rep, Paper Mario, or some other character from a Switch game were announced as F7, the people who didn't like that character would be quick to undermine their inclusion by pointing out that they were just another shill pick

"Shill" is another way of saying "relatively new character who I believe didn't deserve to get in."
I mean, people used Shill for Hero so it's not exclusively 1st Party either, and Hero wasn't helped at all by how hard Nintendo/SE were pushing DQ11s around the time.

I feel like it's important to ignore the vocal minority on this, because it's as the saying goes, the smallest dog barks the loudest.

I honestly don’t have a problem with characters like these getting in. I think it’s great that we’re getting some Switch-era Nintendo characters in this Smash game rather than having to wait several years for the next Smash game like we usually do

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Smash is basically a giant advertisement

Everyone's a shill-pick
In the same way every job anyone has ever had was due to nepotism, sure.
Yes, you do actually have to know other human beings and have that connection to get a job, but there's a difference between someone you worked for acting as a reference, and a job being served to you on a silver platter by a friend. And when characters like Byleth are decided on even before we know what their qualifications are...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Smash is basically a giant advertisement

Everyone's a shill-pick
I disagree with you on the grounds that shill has more of a negative connotation than promotional. I'm not entirely sure what that is, be it forced or unwanted, but I think there's some extra meaning in shill that makes it different from its synonym.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Us Smash Fans Desperate For Even A Literal Morsel Of News (2020, Colorized)
Now hear me out because I'm about to reach like Mr. Fantastic. Like Elastigirl....like the cast of Arms....like another fictional character with stretchy limbs.....

Clearly this means Okami is getting a new game announce for Switch tomorrow and Ammy is getting announced for Smash. Clearly.

Why? Cause they're all doggos you see?

Clearly.

D

Deleted member

Are :ultbylethf: and :ultminmin promotional picks, or were they picked because of their great success? Three Houses and ARMS were quite popular!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Are :ultbylethf: and :ultminmin promotional picks, or were they picked because of their great success? Three Houses and ARMS were quite popular!
Byleth is definitely promotional. As much as I like FE3H, when you choose a character to be included into Smash before their game has ever released, that is the definition of picking them to promote them over their own popularity or success. It's especially clear that that's the case when Sakurai has to stress that Nintendo was the one that chose him and not himself.

As for ARMS, that's more mixed. While I don't doubt Nintendo has a vested interest in promoting that game, there's a smaller sized, but clear fanbase for ARMS and for an ARMS inclusion in Smash, despite how the passion for it has cooled off over the years until the smash announcement.

I could see Nintendo relying on that core fanbase as a safety net whilst they try to promote ARMS and Min Min to the wider Smash audience.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because Sakurai played Byleth game early and thought he would make a fun character to play as?

I mean, “Byleth bad!”
Well no, that's specifically not the case in this instance. For once, we have direct confirmation from the man himself that Nintendo chose Byleth specifically and Sakurai got a copy of the game early and rushed through the entire game such that he could make a moveset for him.

I mean "Byleth good, hoes mad, etc etc."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Byleth is quite fun, and a nice inclusion overall, but I think either Claude, Dimitri, or especially Edelgard would have been cooler than Byleth.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think Byleth is quite fun, and a nice inclusion overall, but I think either Claude, Dimitri, or especially Edelgard would have been cooler than Byleth.
That's the problem with representing multi-side games.
Can't exactly show bias to one route over another, especially when it's gonna be your only inclusion and representative of that game.

loud sigh

D

Deleted member

Can't exactly show bias to one route over another, especially when it's gonna be your only inclusion and representative of that game.

loud sigh
True, I see.

But still. Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard have amazing personalities that makes them interesting.

Byleth is just like: ._.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

loud sigh
Meanwhile, with Pokemon...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Now hear me out because I'm about to reach like Mr. Fantastic. Like Elastigirl....like the cast of Arms....like another fictional character with stretchy limbs.....

Clearly this means Okami is getting a new game announce for Switch tomorrow and Ammy is getting announced for Smash. Clearly.

Why? Cause they're all doggos you see?

Clearly.
This is awfully shoddy logic, but since it brings me what I want, I have to say, no more reasonable conclusion has ever been made in the history of speculation. Good job my good sir.

Ugh, don't get me started on the current viable starter picks.

D

Deleted member

I would say Three Houses is a different case from Pokemon.

With Pokemon, it is about all of the Pokemon. It isn't really about choosing a side, it is about catching your own creatures for fun.

With Three Houses, it is all about choosing your own path. Do you want to side with Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, or Rhea (to a lesser extent)? The path you choose heavily impacts the game, unlike Pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Do you want to side with Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, or Rhea (to a lesser extent)?
Wait, that's the fourth path? I thought it was a dumb (because it seems extremely forced) optional refusal of the call kind of deal.

I would say Three Houses is a different case from Pokemon.

With Pokemon, it is about all of the Pokemon. It isn't really about choosing a side, it is about catching your own creatures for fun.

With Three Houses, it is all about choosing your own path. Do you want to side with Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, or Rhea (to a lesser extent)? The path you choose heavily impacts the game, unlike Pokemon.
Pokémon has similar issues as Fire Emblem and other series with rotating casts in that only the Pokémon that are in your face right now are the realistic picks. Tack on the fact that only the starters are chosen due to recognizability, and you've got a string of picks that's gonna get stale real fast.

ZelDan

Smash Master
promotional pick =/= bad pick

risky pick perhaps, but if the game getting promoted in question does end up being incredibly successful, well-received and beloved, and the smash character ends up with a fun moveset and brings some good content with them, then the risk pays off and you get a good pick like with :ultbyleth: :ultbylethf:

And then you have :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf:which turned out...not as well...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom