• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm assuming that because this Partner Showcase will be live and without a stated time (like how they usually say 10 min long), this may be a 20-40 minute Direct showing 3rd party content for 2020 and beyond, which should be really interesting to see! It's not the Smash news we've been all hoping for, but maybe a game will be announced tomorrow that will make everyone hype and ready to get on their Switch. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

I hope something cool is announced because Playstation had some good games revealed today! Seriously considering getting a PS5 for the new Spider-Man and Harry Potter games.

SKX31

Smash Master
So, PS5 event:

• FF XVI announced, PS5 / PC exclusive.
  • The Spider-Man Miles game looks pretty good.
  • Hogwarts Legacy, seems like an interesting MMO. Really poor timing though.
  • CoD BO IV (Cold War) gameplay, yeah, standard CoD really. "Historical accuracy... hmm... LETS HAVE BAYFORMERS EXPLOSIONS!"
  • Resident VIll-age trailer. Intriguing, we'll have to see where it goes.
  • Further look into Deathloop. Not too much new there.
  • Vergil in DMC 5 SE. Reworked from his 4 counterpart a bit, it seems.
  • Another Oddworld: Soulstorm trailer. Well, good to see a long-dormant franchise get the spotlight again.
  • FNaF Security Breach teaser. That franchise just got a big-ger- budget.
  • Demon's Souls gameplay trailer. Looks pretty damn good.
  • To the surprise of no one, Fortnite's getting onto the console.
  • Several PS4 games (RE 7 and Persona 5 included) are getting PS5 ports.
  • Dad of Boy 2 (I'm assuming) teased.
  • Price at $499, $399 for Digital Edition. Releases on November 12th for US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea. November 19th for the Rest of the World.

Unless I missed something, there's no events that start with 3 for whatever reason. No clue as to why.
Huh, that's overall really interesting. I'm honestly not surprised that people missed that at first glance - Spirit Events are not something most people would look at because Sprits are generally seen as "just pngs". And the tournaments are limited-time and something that's less played (at least in my region). And the URLs you pointed out are semi-hidden, so there's that too.

Great work, this thread did need that.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dad of Boy 2 (I'm assuming) teased.
That was GoW 5 for sure. I'm still a bit surprised it's releasing next year, I figured it was a 2022 release for sure, especially since Sony's previous tactic was teasing games for 3-4 years before their release. But I guess the more I think about it, it kinda makes sense the next game would arrive in just a 3 year difference. They already have a working engine and a butt-load of assets available for reuse.

This next game is gonna be good, especially since Cory and his team claim they have listened to the criticism of the previous game and have learned from it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
hey so

idk if anyone's noticed but they removed the summaries for every smash ult trailer so far AND disabled comments...

how do i know this? oh just curious, wanted to rewatch a trailer or two and was NOT planning on doing an inspect element fake leak or anything

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
hey so

idk if anyone's noticed but they removed the summaries for every smash ult trailer so far AND disabled comments...

how do i know this? oh just curious, wanted to rewatch a trailer or two and was NOT planning on doing an inspect element fake leak or anything
Pretty sure they've always done that for Ultimate's trailers, though?

TheBeastHimself

I wouldn't count first party info completely out tomorrow, since there's always a chance a 3rd party may be working on something Nintendo related like Cadence of Hyrule.

Either way, I think we're gonna see some cool stuff tomorrow.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i guess the only way we could see a Smash reveal tomorrow is if FP7 is third party, and it would HAVE to be connected to one of the games shown in the mini, no ifs ands whys or buts

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Just watch the ps5 event and honestly imo it was the best event of the summer. Lots of great games and lots of things that I didn't expect to appear. God of war Ragnarok and Final fantasy 16 took me by surprise. The launch line up seems okay, Miles morales Will probably be a lot of fun but Demon's souls isn't really my type of game and I'm not sure what to think about Sackboy game and Destruction all stars. The fact that you can play a bunch of PS4 games if you're PS plus is great, especially if you're jumping in the Playstation family (for me who own a PS4 I already played most of those games). My only problem is the Canadian price but honestly I will probably buy it at launch.

Hopefully Nintendo have some cool stuff to show tomorrow. September has been a insane months for game announcement so I'm hopeful that tomorrow might have some surprises.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i guess the only way we could see a Smash reveal tomorrow is if FP7 is third party, and it would HAVE to be connected to one of the games shown in the mini, no ifs ands whys or buts
yeah but it's smash bros., the first party game, a third party getting announced would have no impact.

it's like expecting a smash reveal at a minecraft convention, it ain't happening

TheBeastHimself

The fact that the Direct is being livestreamed indicates that they don't want something spoiled, right? Has any other Partner Direct been scheduled for a livestream? Or have the previous ones been shadowdropped?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The fact that the Direct is being livestreamed indicates that they don't want something spoiled, right? Has any other Partner Direct been scheduled for a livestream? Or have the previous ones been shadowdropped?
so far they have ALL been shadowdropped, this is the first time it's livestreamed

D

Deleted member

I can help explain this as I've been paying attention to the way the Smash Bros News Site works. The website you should be using is https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-GB/index.html. Clicking on any event should show you more information along with a bigger version of the Event's image. All of these images are labeled with the Event's ID. For example, the latest tournament image is labeled as 4030_news.jpg as shown here https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-GB/ce190d0f/img/4030_news.jpg.

I've actually learnt a couple of things by analyzing the way Nintendo has been doing these events. Those are:

-They don't skip Events very much unless they have an actual reason for doing so. For example, Spirit Event #1007 was a Metroid Event that was skipped. Following the pattern of other Events it would have been released on January 25, but that was the exact day of the Metroid Prime 4 delay announcement. Instead Spirit Event #1008 took its place for obvious reasons and the Metroid Event didn't happen until July.

-These Events are probably planned at least three months in advance. Proof of this can be seen with the way the LABO Event was handled. It's labeled as Spirit Event #1021. It seems like they always planned to release it a week after the one-year anniversary of LABO, but because they had skipped the Metroid Event and an unknown Event #1019, they had to push forward events #1022 and #1023, so that the LABO event could coincide with the schedule they had originally set.

-Min Min was definitely delayed. All of the news items relating to her (News Items #2081 to #2088) happened after the ones labeled #2089 (An offer for Nintendo Switch Online owners) and #2090 (The 8th Smash Art Dojo results). This isn't surprising at all considering the COVID situation right now.

I actually have this crazy theory that we're getting more Capcom and Arcsys stuff based on some of the stuff I've noticed, but I think I might be reading too much into things and don't want to make this post any longer.
Wow, quite interesting work! I'm betting on Phoenix Wright, so this statement is nice to see. And people sleep on an Arcsys rep.
holy **** guys i figured it out
Is Amingo your most wanted character in Smash, or do you love joking aobut them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The fact that the Direct is being livestreamed indicates that they don't want something spoiled, right?
Not necessarily, unless you think SMT V was spoiler worthy. :191: Don't read too deep into this. They just sobered themselves up and went for the actual effort of doing a livestream this time.

Sorry if I sound dumb, but what is the thing behind "amingo"?
Amingo is love. Amingo is life.

TheBeastHimself

Not necessarily, unless you think SMT V was spoiler worthy. :191: Don't read too deep into this. They just sobered themselves up and went for the actual effort of doing a livestream this time.
I get what you mean, but I'm gonna remain pretty optimistic, I have faith something cool will be announced. Maybe a Crash 4 announcement for Switch or something.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If I had known they were gonna announce Vergil for DMC5, I actually would have woken up earlier for the PS5 Event

In terms of Smash related news, Would we have seen a Tweet from Sakurai if there was gonna be Smash content in the Partner Direct? I guess we could keep out for that as our last hope for Smash news in Partner direct

I do think it's interesting that This Partner direct was announced a Day before, and the time was given and it's livestream. The First Partner direct was announced hours before it got put up (and time given) and also the 2nd one was just Shadow Droppeed. Personally I think this one could be Longest one yet, though perhaps the timezone it's airing implies this direct might appeal more to Japanesse Audience, which would explain Monster Hunter being announced in this direct

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
tbh the longer the days go by, the more i expect them to just go "**** it, TRIPLE REVEAL"

it may just be what FPV2 needs cause we've gotten only Min Min this year (and Byleth to close out FPV1) and... like someone said japanese stores have pulled purchase cards for FPV2

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
actually, they might as well just like do what Capcom did with the third SFV DLC season and drop "beta" trailers a la Terry for FP7-11 all at once, i LITERALLY do not care anymore at this point, JUST DO IT

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
tbh the longer the days go by, the more i expect them to just go "**** it, TRIPLE REVEAL"

it may just be what FPV2 needs cause we've gotten only Min Min this year (and Byleth to close out FPV1) and... like someone said japanese stores have pulled purchase cards for FPV2
The reason I unironically suggested the possibility of a triple reveal with Fighters 7, 8, and 9, is specifically because they've been taking so damn long with this pass. Plus, we know that the devs work on multiple characters, so it's not like they're currently just sitting around, twiddling their thumbs and waiting for Fighter 7 to be revealed before working on the rest of the pass. Would not be surprised if both 7 and 8 were done a while ago and 9 is now in a presentable state, allowing for the legendary triple reveal.

It's either that, or Nintendo just keeps revealing characters one at time at a snails pace, potentially resulting in Fighters Pass 2 missing the December 2021 deadline and having to bleed into 2022... and if announcing Metroid Prime 4's delay was apparently too much for them, I doubt they'd want to do a similar announcement for Smash DLC

actually, they might as well just like do what Capcom did with the third SFV DLC season and drop "beta" trailers a la Terry for FP7-11 all at once, i LITERALLY do not care anymore at this point, JUST DO IT
With Street Fighter V's Season 3 DLC, they revealed the first character to be Sakura... and then they followed it up with a big "cinematic" trailer for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, which ended up revealing the rest of the Season 3 DLC characters...
I would love for a similar trailer for Fighters Pass 2, especially now when character reveals are several months apart.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The reason I unironically suggested the possibility of a triple reveal with Fighters 7, 8, and 9, is specifically because they've been taking so damn long with this pass. Plus, we know that the devs work on multiple characters, so it's not like they're currently just sitting around, twiddling their thumbs and waiting for Fighter 7 to be revealed before working on the rest of the pass. Would not be surprised if both 7 and 8 were done a while ago and 9 is now in a presentable state, allowing for the legendary triple reveal.

It's either that, or Nintendo just keeps revealing characters one at time at a snails pace, potentially resulting in Fighters Pass 2 missing the December 2021 deadline and having to bleed into 2022... and if announcing Metroid Prime 4's delay was apparently too much for them, I doubt they'd want to do a similar announcement for Smash DLC

With Street Fighter V's Season 3 DLC, they revealed the first character to be Sakura... and then they followed it up with a big "cinematic" trailer for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, which ended up revealing the rest of the Season 3 DLC characters...
I would love for a similar trailer for Fighters Pass 2, especially now when character reveals are several months apart.
I was thinking more separate Terry style teases for all five with the “Now in development” disclaimer at the end, and then the full trailer of each fighter in their respective Sakurai Presents

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We have a teaser for Crown Tundra. Might hear something fairly soon.
My guess would be next week.

My hypothesis is that the week after that will be the display of the new Hyrule Warriors game, and after that will probably be radio silence until the next Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase assuming there will be one next month. If there is, the next DLC character will probably be on the week of October 26th, or the week of November 2nd. If there isn't, we might see the reveal the week of October 19th instead. If we don't see them by November 2nd, then they're definitely not coming this year.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
People need to remember, if Monster Hunter Switch is getting announced (and it probably is), that will easily be the biggest 3rd party title on the Switch. So it's no wonder that they want to draw attention to it.
Yup after how huge World was sales wise and even the 3DS games being pretty popular, Monster Hunter Switch could end up as a 10 million copies sold by the end of its life. I fully expect Nintendo to give it the same treatment as they would give their first party games by pushing as one of their big 2021 games.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

We still have little over a year for all 5 to be revealed.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I was thinking more separate Terry style teases for all five with the “Now in development” disclaimer at the end, and then the full trailer of each fighter in their respective Sakurai Presents
That would work too. I'd prefer a "cinematic" trailer like for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, but I'll accept anything that gets the characters revealed quicker.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Brawl’s reveal trailer would be another example of this. I’m hoping that might be another reason for the delay. They just decided to say **** it & scrap the individual CG trailers in favor of one big trailer.

Shroob

Sup?
My own hypothetis of happenings:

Partner Direct tomorrow

Next week Crown Tundra news + BotW HW on Saturday+Tokyo Game Show around the same time(I believe they said BotW HW was on the 26th, which is a Saturday?)

And after that, there's nothing left, literally nothing left for Nintendo to talk about.

Meaning that I'm going all in on Smash for the last week of September, which bleeds into October, and fits Amiibo theory like a glove.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I get that it feels like an eternity, but everyone's acting like FP2's never gonna be finished. Min Min was openly stated to have been delayed due to balancing and development issues, so they had no choice but to start the pass later than expected. It's been about two and a half months, so it's around the same time it usually took to drop a new fighter. It's not like we've gone over the limit yet.
And remember, there was about 7-8 months in between FP1's announcement and Joker's actual release, with his announcement at the Game Awards being the half-way mark-And this was without COVID mucking things up. We've had some long gaps before, it just feels longer because 2019 was filled with new releases to tie us over while 2020 was looking to be a weak year regardless of COVID.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
View attachment 285792

Is Smash Bros. in the Partner Direct?

View attachment 285793

No Smashboards, Smash Bros. is not in the Partner Direct.

View attachment 285796
View attachment 285795

A third party character won't put it in one, either.
Untitled.png

I have a new theory. People talk louder when they want to be heard, right?

Untitled1a.png

Correct!

Untitled2.png

So maybe, if we all complain really loudly, Nintendo might reveal the next Smash character in tomorrow's direct after all!
Everybody ready?

Untitled3.png

Untitled5.png

And a one, and a two, and a one, two, three, four!

Untitled4.png

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My own hypothetis of happenings:

Partner Direct tomorrow

Next week Crown Tundra news + BotW HW on Saturday+Tokyo Game Show around the same time(I believe they said BotW HW was on the 26th, which is a Saturday?)

And after that, there's nothing left, literally nothing left for Nintendo to talk about.

Meaning that I'm going all in on Smash for the last week of September, which bleeds into October, and fits Amiibo theory like a glove.
Sounds about right, though I kinda blanked on Crown Tundra since I heard that's around November. Still, with the new trailer, I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo wants to give it a head-start with the marketing. We just gotta last until October; Heck, we're halfway there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom